Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How to Hunt Winter Rabbits without Dogs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
How to Hunt Winter Rabbits without Dogs
      #371494 - 15/11/22 08:10 PM

How to Hunt Winter Rabbits without Dogs

You can bag a few bunnies just by walking through the woods with a shotgun. But here’s a better plan

By T. Edward Nickens | Published Feb 3, 2020 7:41 PM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/how-to-hunt-winter-rabbits-without-a-dog/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How to Hunt Winter Rabbits without Dogs [Re: NitroX]
      #371495 - 15/11/22 08:20 PM

Quote:

Once you’ve worked fields and creeks, hit the woods. Two hunters moving slowly about 30 yards apart is standard practice for jumping and shooting rabbits without a beagle pack, but there’s a better way. Have one hunter move quietly forward through the woods for 30 to 40 yards, then post up and stay still, gun at the ready. The other hunter then moves forward in a zigzag pattern while looping out to one side and then back to the stander, shaking brambles and stomping blowdowns to kick game forward to the other gunner. Repeat as necessary.

Sounds a good way to get shot ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Re: How to Hunt Winter Rabbits without Dogs [Re: NitroX]
      #371498 - 16/11/22 01:47 AM

I hunted many years without a dog or a friend. When You get to know an area, you will know where the rabbits are hiding, and they will run in about the same direction every time you jump them. If I couldn't get a shot off, I would come back a few days later and the bunny would be holed up in the same spot but this time I stalked in quieter and closer to take the shot. On occasion I would hunt with a trusted partner, and one of us would stand in view of the "escape" route and the other would beat the brush. I never had an instance when I felt anyone was in danger, except the rabbit! My favorite time to hunt was after a fresh snow. When The Coyote began making a comeback the Rabbits all but disappeared and that's when I began my tree rat adventures, but that was not as fun as popping a bounding rabbit. PS I used muzzle loader most of the time,,,LK

--------------------
Longknife

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: How to Hunt Winter Rabbits without Dogs [Re: Longknife]
      #371499 - 16/11/22 03:39 AM

We hunted bunnies back East in Southern Ontario by stomping brush piles. Cotton-tail rabbits would flush & we'd shoot them with shotguns, 20, 16 or 12 gauge, depending on the person.

Out West here, we stalk very slowly through the bush with our muzzleloading rifles & spot snowshoe hares sitting in the sun, usually beside a birch tree.(white bark) We'd look for that little black eyeball, perfectly round and a not natural shape. Once we caught on, we'd see them before they'd "flush" and shoot them in the head. Head-shots only count. That way, any calibre was good to go. I preferred my .69, using 35gr. 2F- a go-pow load. I could head the head bones breaking, separate from the pow of the shot. My springer would retrieve the bunnies than managed to get down into the willow bushes under the snow. She would get tied though, and try to ride on the backs of our snowshoes. She was a little 30 pounder- a runt, throw-back to the co cocker family, but fantastic hunting dog for ducks and grouse.
Best hunting in this manner was in March, with us having to use snowshoes due to the 6 to 8 feet of remaining snow covering up the willow bushes.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com