Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8mm Mannlicher

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
8mm Mannlicher
      #371335 - 11/11/22 12:30 PM

Is it possible to tell the caliber on a MS by the serial number? I had a MS brought into the shop that is *mm marked. It has a magazine floor plate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: 8mm Mannlicher [Re: Rolland]
      #371348 - 11/11/22 04:24 PM

If it's an early one the model will tell you what it started life as. The only way to be 100% positive is to get a chamber cast made.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #371372 - 12/11/22 06:16 AM

Quote:

Is it possible to tell the caliber on a MS by the serial number? I had a MS brought into the shop that is *mm marked. It has a magazine floor plate.

No, it is not.

The thread is titled 8mm. Does "*mm" of your post also indicate 8mm?

Casper is absolutely correct regarding chamber cast. When in doubt it is always the wise / safe way to go.

That said, if original and unaltered an M1908 Mannlicher Schoenauer will be 8X56 MS, one of the four Mannlicher Schoenauer proprietary cartridges.

Here is an image of original, unaltered M1908 receiver from above:

There were also, however, 8X60 MS rifles and carbines in the pre WW2 period which would be stamped 8X60 in the same location as the 'M1908' in image above.

1939 Stoeger:

The 'magazine floor plate' is also the magazine release. Press a wood dowel, bullet tip, or such into one of the holes in plate and twist plate 90 degrees, pull Schoenauer magazine down and out. The magazine may be disassembled without tools.

Schoenauer magazine:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#371378 - 12/11/22 08:26 AM

Quote:

I had a MS brought into the shop that is *mm marked. It has a magazine floor plate.

You may find this thread to be of interest: MS 8mm

By the way, please do be nice to that rifle. It is among the finest bolt action sporting arms ever produced. When / if disassembling anything on that rifle be sure to use proper (thin) drivers. Please excuse me if you already know this, but it is important. Also, if it is full stocked (stutzen), the forend tip hardware is very delicate. Use great care if disassembling / reassembling

As MS rifles and carbines (stutzen) have been offered in a variety of chamberings through several decades, many (too many) have been altered over time, and there are a plethora of potential bores / rebores that would be proofed as '8mm", I cannot overstress how right Casper's comment is regarding chamber cast - do it.

No one wants to damage a fine old MS (or even a 'sporterized' Greek military MS) and ' or its shooter when caution and prudence could produce a better result.

--------------------

Rolland
.333 member

Re: 8mm Mannlicher [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #371380 - 12/11/22 09:16 AM

Well the information got all mixed up it looks to be a 6.5 not 8mm I will do a chamber cast and see if I can get the caliber correct. No worries I have all the correct screwdrivers no offence taken always appreciate any information that can be passed on.
It will be treated with the most upmost care.
Will try to get photos on this weekend.

Rolland
.333 member

#371383 - 12/11/22 11:06 AM

Hopefully someone can me al little more information on the rifle, the owner does have the scope. Zeiss with a post reticule.

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
      #371408 - 13/11/22 12:11 AM

I have to agree/concur with Casper and Roth.

The original type of M/S action remains the smoothest bolt action ever manufactured.

If the bore is 6.5 then it should be a 1903. I have a 1903 and 1908. My '03 has the same scope bases as the one you picture but, unfortunately I do not have the rings or scope.

If you dismount the barreled action from the stock the proof marks will be on the bottom of the barrel and action and more can be told about the rifle.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: 8mm Mannlicher [Re: sharps4590]
      #371412 - 13/11/22 02:45 AM

As this M-Sch Stutzen was proofed in 1952, still without a side safety and swept back bolt handle, it is a model 1950. So the most likely chambering is the common 8x57 IS, though some 8x60 S ones were built in rifle form at that time too. Carbines or rifles for the old proprietary 8x56 M-Sch, 9x56 and 9.5x57 were not made post-WW2 any more.

skeet2atlow8
.224 member

Reged: 04/11/14
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 8mm Mannlicher [Re: kuduae]
      #371414 - 13/11/22 03:30 AM

Trust nothing-verify. My 1908 was rechambered at some point to 8x60s and is so marked ahead of the receiver on the left side of the barrel. Sometime later it was rechambered again to 8mm-06, or at least it almost was…

The 8mm-06 chamber in this rifle won’t chamber a reformed cartridge that is any longer than 62mm. This information isn’t marked on the gun. The seller was given the information from an estate seller, and had a note to that end tucked into the buttstock storage area.

The magazine spool was “modified” ( read butchered) to feed the two, sometimes three rounds the magazine can hold.

The action is still really smooth, the rifle is accurate, but what a dog’s breakfast!

--------------------
Skeeter

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: 8mm Mannlicher [Re: skeet2atlow8]
      #371418 - 13/11/22 06:53 AM

Ahhh...so that's what that "52" next to the Vienna proof means!

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#371420 - 13/11/22 11:24 AM

Quote:

Hopefully someone can me al little more information on the rifle, the owner does have the scope. Zeiss with a post reticule.

As Kuduae advised, that is an M1950 Mannlicher Schoenauer stutzen (full stocked carbine). If 6.5 and unaltered it should be 6.5X54MS which is still available 'off the shelf', manufactured by Prvi Partisan.

That '52' visible on the barrel above the wood is, indeed, a date per the post WW2 Austrian proof system.

From Stoeger catalog, 1952:

By the way, always trust information from Kuduae.

Article with exploded view from American Rifleman, 1963:

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1565

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com