Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910
      #371088 - 05/11/22 06:01 AM

Several weeks ago I picked up my Ross M1910 that I purchased. The history of the cartridge fascinated me and it wasn't long before I knew that I needed to have one in my stable along with my Mannlichers and Mauser.
I have been able to make brass from 300 Win Mag and I purchased appropriate bullets from Hawk and Quality Cartridge. I have had the rifle to the range two times. I am very familiar with the potential bolt safety issues and I made sure that the lugs rotated into the receiver.
I have to say that it is a very nice shooting rifle even when loads approached the 3000fps range. The wide, flat butt plate was not uncomfortable even without a recoil pad.
Unfortunately, this rifle has the same affliction that all my other 1900 hunting rifles share ....... a barely visible front sight blade. The sights were not well regulated. She shot 6-7 inches high at 100 yards.
Since I intend to use the rifle for hunting, I decided to fabricate a new front sight blade. This weekend, I made a Partridge style replacement for the factory original. I have had great success with this style of replacement sight on my other rifles with rear peeps.
Once I get the sights better regulated, I will be able to start working up some accurate hunting loads for next year.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910 [Re: fjrdoc]
      #371093 - 05/11/22 07:40 AM

Fjrdoc,
lovely to hear that you finally scored a Ross - very nice piece indeed!
They may be quite prevalent your side of the pond but over here they are like rocking horse poo!
Don't forget to give us a full run down on the case reforming & reloading data, that will be invaluable to someone down the track trying to do the same thing!
They certainly must be a bit of a hot-rod cartridge with velocity up around the 3000fps mark, like the 7x64 I guess!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #371103 - 05/11/22 09:49 AM

Looks like a very fine example Fjrdoc- congrats!

Glad to hear the .300 Win Mag donor cases are working for you too.

Plenty of loading info towards the end of this old thread which you've no doubt seen, and I'll take this as a reminder to get back to my neglected examples for a bit more shooting fun.

The .280 Ross truly is one of the significant historical milestones on the journey towards the modern sporting/hunting rifle.

Marvelous stuff!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910 [Re: Marrakai]
      #371106 - 05/11/22 10:46 AM

Thanks for the compliment Marrakai
I agree that the .280 Ross was a milestone cartridge that most folks know nothing about. I love to take these obsolete cartridges out to the range and to the woods and let them flex their muscles. These classic hunting rifles are a joy to own and shoot. It's easy to form .280 Ross from 300 Win Mag. Just run it through the .280 Ross die and trim to length. They actually seem to function better than some of the original .280 Ross brass that I own.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910 [Re: fjrdoc]
      #371120 - 05/11/22 02:52 PM

My experience with the Ross hasn't been so sweet.
One rifle, a Charles Lancaster Mauser - std length action - shoots quite good and cycles easily.
Another rifle I owned - a George Gibbs square bridge magnum Mauser, with the same ammunition blew primers and was so over pressure that I had to mallet the bolt open - truly disconcerting, that rifle.
I should have tried .284" bullets in that rifle but I lost interest in it so let it go. Nice gun though...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: New/ Old Toy: Ross .280 M1910 [Re: Huvius]
      #371460 - 15/11/22 07:11 AM

I had the day off from work so I decided to take the Ross to the range. The new front sight was easy to see and was regulated with the Porter peep. The rifle definitely shoots better with .287 or .288 bullets. My best group at 100 yards was with Quality Cartridges 150 gr Game-StopR bullets and 53.0 gr of IMR4064.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 874

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com