Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Graham Williams and his .416 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Graham Williams and his .416 Rigby
      #371034 - 03/11/22 02:30 AM

Member Graham on his .416.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/graham-williams/

Why buffalo hunter Graham Williams depends on his .416 Rigby

A mad keen buffalo hunter, Graham Williams has been very busy, as usual, during the dry season in Australia’s vast and tropical Northern Territory. The Professional Hunter, who has 20 years of guiding experience, has long been converted to the .416 Rigby cartridge and his life depends on his Rigby bolt rifle by the London gunmaker.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/Graham-Williams-pic-1024x683@2x.jpeg

Three decades ago I recall meeting Paul Roberts in the UK and returning home with some Rigby brochures which featured the huge .416 Rigby case and its ballistics. At the age of 24, a friend booked a banteng and buffalo hunt in Arnhem in the Northern Territory and I tagged along.

Colin had a .470 double and I carried a .375H&H. I can still vividly recall the excitement of my first shot at big game – stopping a wounded banteng at eight yards that was charging at us. It planted a seed for big game hunting and the requirement for a heavier calibre rifle.

After a few trips to South Africa and Zimbabwe I decided to start my own hunting business in 1997 called Outback Expeditions, which took enquiries by telephone, fax or post. When email and websites arrived, we changed the name to Australian Buffalo Hunters.

One of my first guiding back-up shots was at a running wounded water buffalo. With glimpses through the trees, my .416 Rigby raking shot at 250 yards dropped the buffalo in a cloud of dust. It was amazing. My investigation found that the 410 grain Woodleigh bullet had entered the left rump and stopped in front of the brain with over eight feet of penetration. From that point on I knew why many African hunters chose the .416 Rigby cartridge for all game and all circumstances. It has incredible penetration and the best Mauser-controlled feed action with four rounds available.

After three years of hunting buffalo in wet mosquito-infested muddy swamps, we then secured some huge concessions in dryer central Arnhem land. Early on, Paul Roberts and his nephew, Ricky, did a buffalo hunt with us, and he brought two stunning bolt-action rifles in .450 Rigby and .416 Rigby. Paul could see for himself that Australian water buffalo are as tough as the African Cape buffalo.

For over 20 years now we have offered wilderness safaris, real adventure, classic canvas-tented safari camps. I enjoy excellent Coonawarra wines, smooth whisky and most of all ethical hunting. Hunting buffalo in the hot and dusty wilderness takes some beating.

I believe many hunters seek old-style real hunting and real adventure. We have worked with Blaser Safaris for many years and that resulted in one of the current managers at John Rigby and Co. coming hunting with us a few years ago.

It has been an honour to be associated with Rigby for a long time. My Rigby .416 Big Game rifle is getting some hard use and many scratches. I must say the current Rigby Big Game series with its stock design, cheek piece, forend, balance and barrel contour all make this the most comfortable .416 Rigby chambered rifle I have ever shot.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/Graham-Williamns-pic2-1024x683@2x.jpeg

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Graham Williams and his .416 Rigby [Re: NitroX]
      #371036 - 03/11/22 03:18 AM

That's incredible? penetration for what would be quite low velocity- at 250yards.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Graham Williams and his .416 Rigby [Re: DarylS]
      #371045 - 03/11/22 07:03 AM

Slower velocity, very hard projectile = very deep penetration.
The buffalo hunters in the US did so with black powder & heavy lead slugs, to drop those big fellas you'd need a lot of penetration to get to the vitals - they are truly huge beasts!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Graham Williams and his .416 Rigby [Re: 93x64mm]
      #371050 - 03/11/22 10:38 AM

A lot of positive things to be said of the 416 cartridges. If I ever get to do a guided Buff hunt in the NT it will be with Graham Williams. he comes highly recommended from a mate who has hunted several times with him.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1056

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com