Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Smoked brisket...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Smoked brisket...
      #37097 - 09/09/05 04:45 PM

For NitroX and other culinary adventurous Aussies....

The abomination before the Lord commonly known as "silverside" or "corned beef" is usually a brisket. You may be able to get a whole brisket from a local butcher before they perform that vile conversion to it (the butcher down the street from where I lived in Melb didn't even charge extra for a real brisket, although I suspect I was the first to request such an item at that shop). Here is a method commonly used in Texas and the southern and southwestern USA to prepare it and make it much more edible, but you do have to start with a piece of raw brisket before the corning process is done to convert it to silverside.

If you don't have any real wood or wood chips, this is not worth making, because if done over gas alone it will end up tasting like a roast.

1, Make a sauce, preferably 24 hours in advance to let the flavors mix..this can be done to taste with any of several "recipes" for BBQ sauce or you can buy the commercial slop from Kraft. There is no standard sauce for this. Depending on preferred level of "spicy", typical ingredients include a mix of ketchup, mustard, diced onions, diced garlic, diced jalapeņos, and paprika. The ketchup is listed because if you use tomato sauce it will be too thin to stick to the meat..sauce may be used but will have to be thickened with flour so that it will stay on the meat. Also if you don't like hot and spicy, skip the jalapeņos.

2. Some wood chips are required if you have to do it on a gas grill, the best wood chips for it are hickory or pecan or possibly mesquite but I don't think most Aussies would like mesquite (also too much mesquite makes it taste like burned oil). These wood chips are available in some places in Australia but are unfortunately pricy. Boxwood might be suitable as well although I've never cooked over boxwood.

3. Shortly before plopping the brisket into the pit, rub it down with salt, pepper, garlic powder or diced garlic, onion powder or diced onion, and some paprika. Go easy on the amount of paprika as too much of that can cause a lot of trips to the toilet for the next few days.

4. Take a paint brush with natural bristles and use it to brush the meat down with the sauce mentioned in item #1 before placing on the fire.

5. Have the pit going at a very low temperature, approximately 100 C, with some of the wood chips in the fire to produce smoke.

6. Place the brisket on the pit, fatty side down, and shut the lid...check regularly to make certain the temperature remains at roughly 100 C.

7. Brush the meat down with the sauce as necessary to keep it from drying out.

8. The brisket should be done anywhere from 6 to 9 hours after you started.

Brisket as smoked in this manner is typically served with onions, jalapeņos, beans, guacamole, cornbread, and sometimes flour tortillas.

Richard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Smoked brisket... [Re: rgp]
      #37869 - 20/09/05 04:30 PM

Ignore the above, I found out one of my neighbors prefers his brisket to be like a bloody mess of sushi and thinks mine is overcooked. An edible brisket recipe must therefore come from someone else.

Richard

Tightloop
.275 member

Reged: 24/06/06
Loc: Spring, Tx...
Re: Smoked brisket... [Re: rgp]
      #66586 - 08/12/06 12:23 PM

Your recipe is great...native Texan eaten lots of brisket..low and slow is the way..

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Smoked brisket... [Re: Tightloop]
      #66903 - 13/12/06 09:28 AM

having been to Texas a few times now and having tried BBQ (which I learned is Texian for Brisket)at several different spots, i just dont get the the appeal... to me the meat is always far to sweet for my liking and what the hell is with all the beans at every meal??

I am much more fond of taking that brisket and making a corned beef and having it stacked a mile high on a fresh onion or on serious rye bread with mustard lathered on it with a side of speck,a good Kosher dill pickle, and a tall cold beer!

I like most things done on the grill but brisket isnt one of them ... maybe I just havent had it done right yet.

do they do it different in Hill Country( aka God's Country)? ... that is where I have sampled it the most.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Tightloop
.275 member

Re: Smoked brisket... [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #66914 - 13/12/06 12:56 PM

They do great brisket almost all over the state...but if you don't like it as the recipe shows, you might not like it anywhere...your choice...I love a good corned beef also...but we do LOTS more brisket on the grill in Tx than corned beef...

Bet you would like some babyback ribs, though...also cooked low and slow...You don't have to eat beans with BBQ, just lots of folks like them...I personally like good potato salad or slaw, and a really cold beer just hits the spot..probably Shiner Bock...

Must be that Mason/Dixon Line thing....north for good corned beef and south for great BBQ...Check out Bobby Flay on the Food Channel, he is as Yankee as it gets and he is the grill Master...loves BBQ....

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#66953 - 13/12/06 10:59 PM

I s'pect that you're right Tightloop.... it may just not be for me.... However, that Shiner Bock works with just about everything! especially after a shot Petrone Tequilla and some good Texas Music.
we are planning to get out West again this March and i sure hope that we can make a stop in hill country to sit back along the banks of the Medina River and watch the world go by for a while.
and i'm with you on the slaw... it beats the hell out of beans!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Tightloop
.275 member

#66965 - 14/12/06 01:43 AM

Thinking about your post, makes me want to return to Kerrville and kayak the Guadalupe a little...I lived there for 3 yrs and it is fun...Slip over to Fredricksburg for the German Fest, tour the 17 wineries in the area, go over to the Purple Cow in Bandera for a little country dancing...good fun in the Hill Country, even if brisket is not your thing...Have some good wurst up there too..maybe that is more to your liking..or go over to the YO for social nite and eat some Axis poppers...grilled loin of axis wrapped in bacon and stuffed with jalapeno and jack cheese...good stuff..

I still drive up to Stonewall and get my peaches for preserves...LOL

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#66970 - 14/12/06 02:53 AM

Now you're talkin'!

if I get to Bandera this time round... gotta hit Ackey Blues again.... very cool bar!

then there's John T Floores Country Store in Helotes and there aint NO WAY I would get that close to Gruene without stoppin at my favortite dnace hall in the Lone Star State

Gruene Hall.... a creakin' screen door,hard wood dance floor,a good local band rippin' it up, my wife and I sitting back and drinkling in what just cant be described... only felt.
Thats Texas!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Tightloop
.275 member

#66982 - 14/12/06 04:40 AM

All of that sounds really great...might have to go visit my friend in Hunt for a few days after Christmas....

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#67005 - 14/12/06 06:05 AM

I am trying to remember the name of the place between Johsonville and Fredricksburg where we stopped in to buy some jerky and ended up spending a whack of dough on everything, from Christmas ornaments to licence plate purses for our nieces.

The Jerky is great! ... i still have some from last Christmas... my wife had a box full of the shrink wrapped packages up as a gift.... I never go on a deer or moose watch without some in my pack.

i am not sure where Hunt is but i take it's in the thick of Hill Country....if you get out there after Christmas enjoy the hell out of it and tip a Shiner Bock ( or 6 ) for me!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Tightloop
.275 member

#67020 - 14/12/06 07:29 AM

Hunt...take 27 out of Kville toward Junction and take 1314..can't miss it...or take I10 to FM 44..turn left about 12 miles...Had to be Stonewall, Hye or Rockey Creek just about the only towns on 290 between the two..and it is Johnson City LOL

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#67029 - 14/12/06 09:22 AM

Oh yeah Johnsonville are the Bratwursts lol

yeah we drove by LBJ's ranch. would like to take that trip "When The Blue Bonnets Bloom" in the Spring.
I am going to check the name of that jerky place ....I think it may be right in the limits of Johnson City.... I will get back to you on that.

last weekend, I had a crack at going to both Gruene Hall and John T Floore's to see Reckless Kelly and Robert Earl Keen concerts, wasn't able to get away as this is a pretty busy time of year with family and getting ready for Christmas and all like that ,,, do you know of these Bands/People ?

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Tightloop
.275 member

#67037 - 14/12/06 10:49 AM

I have seen R. Earl Keene lots of times...but not the other band...lots and lots of locals are great but for some reason never get the break to make it big...Kenny Chesney took 12 yrs to make it big...

Johnsonville Brats are super...love em...Get up there in the spring and see the flowers...beautiful...

Have a Great Christmas...

TLoop

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3004

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com