Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Resident hunting in RSA

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Resident hunting in RSA
      #37032 - 08/09/05 12:45 AM

Most of the information on the Net about hunting in South Africa is aimed at visitors coming over to hunt with outfitters.

What about residents, where do they hunt. Are there any Game department issung hunting regulations and hunting licenses? Are there public hunting areas?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: DoubleD]
      #37047 - 08/09/05 04:33 PM

DD, we hunt on the same venues overseas guests hunt, also we hunt on land that is not normally suitable (with regards to accomodation) to hunt overseas hunters on. We can also buy packages in some of the state owned game reserves. I love going to Namibia as well, as I was born there, and still have citizinship. Most residents hunting is for biltong/ meat only. We do have game departments makeing the regulations, one of the reasons an overseas hunter is not allowed to hunt without a PH, and through a registered outfitter.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

Peter_V
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/03
Loc: southern Africa
      #37945 - 21/09/05 11:22 PM

Hi DoubleD,

RSA residents are kinda spoiled for choice in terms of hunting destinations, although and like with anything esle, budget is a limiting factor.

The majority of residents do hunt for venision and biltong as already pointed out in an earlier response, while a significant number are what I would class as recreational hunters; i.e where hunting is part of the individual's outdoor lifestyle and the hunter is as keen on anyone else on having a good experience after representative trophies.

The Nature Conservation Depts of each of the provinces in the RSA manage and govern the issue of permits, enforce hunting regulations, as well as, proclaim as to when the hunting season is open / closed .

By far, the vast majority of game in the RSA is in private hands on private reserves and game ranches, while approx 18% is in state reserves. Some of the private landowners market to local and overseas folk alike, while others choose to only accommodate one or the other.

Here are some net based hunting resources aimed at the local residents:

http://www.wingshooters.co.za/

http://www.kznhunters.co.za/

http://www.sahunt.co.za/

http://www.SAGRO.co.za/

Hopes this sheds some light.

--------------------
Peter V

www.africanhuntersguild.com

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: Peter_V]
      #39598 - 23/10/05 03:10 PM

What are the costs involved for residents to hunt? Are DG hunts available without a PH?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: bulldog563]
      #39605 - 23/10/05 05:24 PM

< Are DG hunts available without a PH? >

A local won't need a PH. But you as a non South African citizen or permanent resident are not allowed to hunt without a PH. Or do you want to see a South African jail from the inside?

www.kapstadt.de/lemberg
HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #39606 - 23/10/05 05:42 PM

As Sunshine said a RSA citizen won't need a ph, BUT. Most of the RSA hunters hunt for biltong, they take the cheaper animals, Kudu cows, Impala, Springbok etc. Very few RSA hunters can afford to hunt DG. Even a RSA citizen will be stupid to hunt DG without a ph, there is just to much at stake. To hunt DG you need a lot of knowledge and experience, with the emphasis on experience. To hunt DG once in your life, which is most probable the norm for a few RSA hunters, is a rare opportunity. Most of your knowledge will be paper based, which is not good enough to hunt DG. I have heard of very few RSA hunters who hunted DG without a ph, I personally know only 2.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: Peter_V]
      #39614 - 24/10/05 12:24 AM

Peter,

I must have missed this when you posted, thank you.

I still don't know when I head over. I have my medical clearances and still have some training to do. I will look at the organizations you posted and perhaps post some questions about each as I explore them.

Since I am not permitted by my employer to bring a firearm over, but am allowed to acquire one while there, what am going to have to do to get one.

I understand that I must take some classes and get a license to acquire a firearm. Then I take some classes and get a permit to hunt.

Can you expand on that.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#39618 - 24/10/05 01:06 AM

DD
For how long will you be in RSA? Where will you live.
To get a fire arm in RSA you first do a course in handguns, rifles or shotguns or all three at the same time. When you get your certificate you apply for a competancy certificate with the SAPS. After that you apply for a firearm license, the process can take up to two years if not longer. It all depends if you must apeal or not. Very few licences are issued lately. The normal excuse is that you haven't got enough motivation.

I am a member of SA Hunting and Game Conservation Ass. They are the biggest amateur hunting ass in RSA. There are also other smaller hunting ass. in RSA. I was a member of SAHGCA executive committee, it is a very well organized ass and they are members of IHEA based in the USA.

Send me a PM or an email with questions, I will help were I can.

Regards

--------------------
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: SAHUNT]
      #39621 - 24/10/05 02:36 AM

I will be in Durban for 2 to 5 years.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#39624 - 24/10/05 04:12 AM

DD
Let me know when you will arrive in RSA. I will meet you on the airport, give you a firm handshake and pour a cold beer down your throat.

On a more serious note I will meet you on the air port, I am living 30 minutes away. If you need any info please send ma a e mail, where I can I will assist you. I know it is a bit early but keep it in mind.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

DoubleD
.400 member

#39628 - 24/10/05 04:50 AM

Jaco, you offer sounds so much better than what will probably happen. I will be met at the airport by a company representiative who will direct me to my quarters and tell that i have be at some briefing or meeting in 2 hours. That's how it usually works.

I will send you an email.

I must say you South Africans have been very helpful in providing me information for my move.

A big thank you to you and Steve.

Fair warning, your daughters are in no danger, but should have any Martini Henry's you should put them out of sight.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#39635 - 24/10/05 06:21 AM

DD,
It is easy to BS companay reps, all you need is a good diguise. We get all the NE members in RSA together, bribe John to come over with a couple of his wifes wines and Walla we have the first official NE party in RSA.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #39680 - 24/10/05 03:43 PM

In reply to:

It is easy to BS companay reps, all you need is a good diguise. We get all the NE members in RSA together, bribe John to come over with a couple of his wifes wines and Walla we have the first official NE party in RSA.

Sounds very good to me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DoubleD
.400 member

#39696 - 24/10/05 11:48 PM

Biltong hunting would be fine me for as long as I am hunting, although I will have to do a trophy hunt or two while down.

DG being outside my budget level, I would still like to get in the bush and see the animals.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: Sunshine]
      #44910 - 26/12/05 04:39 PM

I was born in RSA and have dual citizenship, can I legally hunt without a PH in RSA?

Thanks,
Colorado

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #44913 - 26/12/05 06:20 PM

If you still have SA citizenship the answer is yes.

bulldog563
.400 member

#44914 - 26/12/05 06:52 PM

What if you are not a citizen but have family there and live there. Can residents but non citizens hunt without a PH? If so what costs are involved?

--------------------

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #44919 - 26/12/05 08:22 PM

Bullddog563

your situation would be similar to DDs in that you would be here on some kind of work, study or business visa but living in the country.(You would be residing here, but wouldn't have residency)..... as you don't hold residency or citizenship the letter of the law would prohibit you from hunting without a PH. could you in reality book a hunt without a PH? - yes you probably could, but if you got caught you would be in BIG trouble as the penalties for breaking the game laws are pretty harsh. As an example of how harsh, a couple of years ago a SA citizen was driving home after a legal hunt and saw a warthog by the side of the dirt road and couldn't resist. He pulled over grabbed his rifle and shot it....... just as a local landowner and honorary game warden drove up behind him. He was arrested, had all his equipment confiscated, (including his truck) and got a very big fine. He was lucky not to go to jail as well!

..... Also, you wouldn't be able to get export licences/permits for your trophies unless you had the relevant copy of a correctly licenced and permitted Professional Hunters hunting register.

In reality probably the best way to get a less expensive hunt would be to come clean with a landowner and tell him you're here on whatever permit and want to hunt. Try to agree that you'll use your own vehicle to get to and from his property and that you'll provide your own supplies and do your own cooking etc and can he suggest a young local PH who needs the experience of hunting an overseas hunter and needs to get the same written up on his register, who will hunt you at a reasonable price...... That way, you'll get cheaper prices but still stay within the law.

The downside of this are that as the PH won't be very experienced he probably won't be as good but you'd have to accept that as part of the deal. The upside is that you stay within the law and get export licences for your trophies....... To say nothing of the fact that you wouldn't be allowed to import a firearm unless you had a properly and legally arranged hunt booked with a licenced outfitter & PH.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (26/12/05 08:32 PM)

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: shakari]
      #44970 - 27/12/05 12:46 PM

What do you have to do to be considered a resident?

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#44974 - 27/12/05 02:54 PM

Jaco and Steve,

Well it looks like its down to the wire. I am scheduled to depart the week of February 6th, no exact date.

I will try to contact you gentlemen once I get there. I am prohibited by my organization from bringing a firearm. They will allow me to acquire a rifle and and a shotgun once there. So I will have to do what ever is required by RSA to acquire these items.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#44983 - 27/12/05 03:58 PM

DD,
It is about time you come over, the beer that I am keeping for you is getting stale. . I'll drink it in the meantime and get you a new one.

2nd hand rifles are dirt cheap in RSA now, the problem is getting a licence and the time it takes to comply with all the red tape of our new gunlaws. The police are so far in arrears with their work that they extended the deadline for the first group of renewal applications. More proof that they bit of more than they can chew.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #44984 - 27/12/05 04:01 PM

bulldog563, You would need to have been granted residency by the Dept of Home Affairs. It's a very expensive and/or very time consuming process........... If you're coming on a work, study or business visa then you can expect to spend at least 2 years getting residency and probably considerably longer. The only way to get it quickly is to be prepared to invest around US$150K per person.

Double D, Have a good journey and I'll look forward to hearing from you sometime in the New Year. If there's anything I can do to help just let me know.....

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

BlainSmipy
.375 member

#45115 - 29/12/05 09:59 AM

Why would your company forbid you to bring a rifle?

Colorado

--------------------

BlainSmipy
.375 member

#45116 - 29/12/05 10:05 AM

How do I find out if I still have dual citizenship?

Thanks,
Colorado

--------------------

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Re: Resident hunting in RSA [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #45118 - 29/12/05 10:32 AM

Doesn't look good for dual citizenship in SA. What is it really like there these days? When I lived there its was really stable, my folks had no problems, traveled all over the country without issue. This of course was in 1964 - 1968. (I was born in 66) They went to Kruger, Durban, Capetown, and Pretoria.

Side note, how does one become a PH in SA? What does it take?

Thanks,
Colorado

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5509

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com