Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives
      #369936 - 07/10/22 03:09 AM

Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives.

https://fb.watch/f_JP_Ng87r/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives [Re: NitroX]
      #369947 - 07/10/22 05:25 AM

That's cool! A nice short sword would work well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives [Re: DarylS]
      #369963 - 07/10/22 05:45 PM

Daryl that is exactly what Fatboy “Neale” and I use. We have a Cold Steel Roman Gladious which we have attached the sheath to the front of each of our Quad bikes and the dogs sit on the back. Super sharp very quick despatch around 8 to10 seconds when slid in behind the shoulder blade and angled towards the front to come out at the neck shoulder join on the opposite side. Also the bonus is it keeps your hands away from those sharp teeth.
Steve

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives [Re: Viking338]
      #369964 - 07/10/22 05:55 PM

Tks Steve. I thought Neal used one, from time passed. I notided the tail grab for more control.
Good stuff!!! Exciting to say the least.
I wonder how this compared to hunting black bear with a speer.
Friend of mine did just that. Borrowed a spear my bro made, practiced with it and killed a spring bear with the spear. He had grown tired of shooting them with his compound bow.
This was some 30 years ago, now.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369966 - 07/10/22 06:11 PM

They don't show the killing stabs in the video. Probably to avoid snowflake over reaction.

While Germans in black powder days had cool ceremonial short swords for the coup de grace on downed stags and boars, a stab to the heart. Maybe Kuduae and Lancaster and Rolf still do!? .

While they had short swords, Aussie doggers carry a variety. Bayonets. To a variety of different knives. Straight, sharp and medium to longer length I guess isctge criteria. Long enough to reach the heart with a solid lunge. My comments are just what I have read. Marrakai mentioned a pig knife once in a thread. An H&K or a Steyr or similar knife.

My farm supplies shop had a young guy doing pig digging. He had a number of his own dogs. Unless he had a secret spot in range, any decent supply of feral pigs is a good solid drive away in NSW or Queensland. To keep dogs active would mean lots of regular trips. As a result not many doing this here in SA. Most commenting live in NSW or Qld within range of Great Dividing Range piglands.

Locations of SA pig used to be North of the Murray River near the border. However no one I have spoken to have said they have pigs or admitted it. Including the CEO of the large grape grower organisation, a large station owner further North. Another property owner, mixed grapes and grazing. Maybe this feral pig populatin is very located? The best feral pigs, really wild pigs were not far away but remote.

On Kangaroo Island. An expensive ferry ride over. In the Western half of the island, populations of wild pigs, including in and around Flinders Chase National Park the verges if which were I hunted them. Introduced by whalers and sealers reportedly before settlement of the Colony if SA (?). A long time in the wild these pigs assumed some wild boar characteristics. All black. Very good clean meat and little or no disease present. So good clean eating. I hunted them one time on the coldest wettest weekend of the year. Rain sideways! The Antarctic is the only land to the South! The Southern Ocean to the South. I wish I had had dogs that weekend. I was the only fool out in the weather. The pigs were snuggled in the thick bushes with tunnels underneath. Even in the wide gravel road verges. I could hear them under there. At night the dirt road looked like it was a pig highway with all the fresh tracks on it. Dogs could have got them out for me.

Alas the KI feral pigs were heavily depopulated by the bushfires a few years ago. Now the govt has plannedcomplete extermination by using night and heat sights and aerial shooting. They are able to shoot into those thick bush patches using heat sights. Sad to a hunter, good for the farmer. I'd like to get a small number of the wild pigs into an enclosure. Never had pigs before. Imo they are a unique breed now. I do believe I read that one farmer does have a supply of them behind wire in captivity.

Back to the video. These NT and FNQ (Far North Queensland) are bigger than a lot of Southern feral pigs. The wild feral pigs becoming more boarlike, called Razorbacks, for their spinal hairline. The Southern ferals easier to flip and less dangerous if smaller.

Btw note how one of the pigs being held by a dog keeps heading towards the camera man. Wants a piece of him. The dog hanging onto its ear keeps the aggressive pig from any rush.

I think it is gutsy stuff hunting pigs with dogs and a knife.

How it must have been done in Mediaeval Europe evidenced by tapestries. Using boar spears. Good dogs are needed. There accounts of ancient kings being killed hunting wild boars. Modern day pig doggers say a spear is too dangerous for the dogs, a knife is better.

My fear is for the hounds. They enthusiastically jump in. Enjoy it. Have leather protective breast plates. But pigs tusks and teeth are nasty. Dogs get wounded and killed. Sad. The humans often carry stitching kits and anti biotic syringes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives [Re: Viking338]
      #369967 - 07/10/22 06:14 PM

Quote:

Daryl that is exactly what Fatboy “Neale” and I use. We have a Cold Steel Roman Gladious which we have attached the sheath to the front of each of our Quad bikes and the dogs sit on the back. Super sharp very quick despatch around 8 to10 seconds when slid in behind the shoulder blade and angled towards the front to come out at the neck shoulder join on the opposite side. Also the bonus is it keeps your hands away from those sharp teeth.
Steve

Thanks. You posted while in was making a long post with other stuff happening while I typed.

A gladius? Cool. Let's see one!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369968 - 07/10/22 06:24 PM

https://www.coldsteel.com/gladius-machete/

This item is hand sharpened in our warehouse prior to shipment. Please allow 14-21 days for shipment due to the sharpening process.

The Cold Steel Gladius Machete remains one of the most popular models in our hybrid sword / machete series. Its made from spring tempered 1055 Carbon steel and hand sharpened at our facility in Ventura, California. The Gladius Machete features the classic guard and ball shaped pommel of years gone by, but with the added strength and durability found with full-tang construction and modern materials. We use high-impact Polypropylene for our handle, making it almost impervious to the elements and rugged beyond belief. The Gladius Machete comes complete with a sturdy Cor-Exª sheath and belt loop for easy of carry and use.

Weight:
27.2oz

Blade Thickness:
2.8mm

Blade Length:
18in

Blade Steel:
1055 Carbon Steel with Black Baked-On Anti Rust Matte Finish

Handle Length/Material:
5 5/8in Long Polypropylene

Overall Length:
25-7/8in

Additional Features:
Cor-Ex® Sheath

Blade Length Range:
10-20 in

Steel Family:
High Carbon Steels

Blade Shape:
Needle Point

Style:
Roman

https://www.extac.com.au/cold-steel-gladius-machete~17217

Cold Steel Gladius Machete | 27" Overall, 1055 Carbon Steel, CS97GMSZ
Cold Steel Gladius Machete | 27" Overall, 1055 Carbon Steel, CS97GMSZ

$99.99

Derived from the sword used by Celtic tribes of ancient Iberia (Spain) and adopted by the Roman Legions, the Gladius, with its long, narrow point and wasp waisted blade, was the scourge of the battlefield and often the last thing seen or felt by Rome's enemies.

Ever popular, the Gladius is still in demand almost 2000 years later and is one of our most frequently requested swords to make, so we have decided to offer a modern version of this ancient classic in a very affordable machete/sword format.

Made from 1055 Carbon steel and hand sharpened to a murderous point and wicked edge, it offers 19" of unprecedented piercing and slashing power at a bargain price. Sporting an extra wide, full tang for strength and a classically inspired handle, it offers the standard guard and ball-shaped pommel of years gone by.

Made of high impact Polypropylene, it's impervious to the elements, rugged beyond belief and most importantly, comes complete with a sturdy Cor-Ex sheath and belt loop.
Cold Steel Gladius Machete Specifications:

Blade Length: 19"
Overall Length: 26 7/8"
Steel: 1055 Carbon Steel w/ Black Baked on Anti Rust Matte Finish
Blade Thickness: 2.8 mm
Weight: 18 oz (approx.)
Handle: 7 7/8" Long.
Polypropylene Sheath: Cor-Ex Sheath

(CS97GMSZ)

Looks great. Except for the poly hilt. But does the pig sticking job!

For the true legionary look get someone to replace the plastic hilt, guard and pommel with brass and wood.

Viking, we need some of your pig hunting stories. Btw I wondered how Neale and you fared during the floods. I remember Neale having a stilt house and a river near by?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (07/10/22 06:27 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#369998 - 08/10/22 04:00 AM

Oh yeah- $100.00 US is cheap for a good sword.
My brother has paid up to $300.00 for swords from an outfit in Georgia, maybe more for the hand and 1/2 German sword and the huge killing sword, double hander for after battle finishing-off work.

--------------------
Daryl

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #370003 - 08/10/22 04:50 AM

Really amazing. At first I was shocked to see pointers holdingh big game. In fact it's a mixture of pointer (or whatever with pittbull???). Not many hounds have the guts to seize a boar. In France, mostly Dachshounds and Jagdterriers will any time seize a boar, either in the testicules (the sissies or the long maimed hounds) but prefarably will hold the boar by the snoot, blocking him in its track , far better than ears (though less dangerous). Real pretty good job. Though I see that an Australian boar could be hold very fast. In my shitty place, if a boar has a 50m lead, count on the hounds holding it 500m and up further.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Hunting feral pigs with holding dogs and knives [Re: larcher]
      #370005 - 08/10/22 04:54 AM

I was surprised the dogs caught the pigs so quickly. But, even in the videos of shooting hogs in Texas from choppers, the pigs really aren't running that fast.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1335

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com