Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History
      #369852 - 05/10/22 05:37 AM

First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History

Created as a compromise between a rifle and carbine, the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) became one of history's great Bolt-Action Military arms.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/fi...m_campaign=AMOb

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: Ripp]
      #369854 - 05/10/22 07:07 AM

The SMLE's used to be as common as chips here, now you don't see too many around at all!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: 93x64mm]
      #369857 - 05/10/22 08:06 AM

Quote:

The SMLE's used to be as common as chips here, now you don't see too many around at all!

Was the FIRST centerfire I ever owned.. still have it.. thinking of trying to use it on elk this year.. might be fun.. AND a long cold hungry winter to follow..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #369869 - 05/10/22 08:53 PM

I've got 2x SMLEs. One original full wood matching numbers. Need a matching bayonet. I do have a lovely leather Light Horse scabbard.

The second is a cut back SMLE sporter. Might be a bit worn. Was cheap.

A .303 is so mild to shoot.

I haven't hunted with mine. Just targets.
One day must hunt with it.

A nice sporting Lee Speed is an ambition.

With the right bullets should be adequate for anything. Not ideal but adequate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: NitroX]
      #369882 - 06/10/22 02:59 AM

I have one, with FTR 1953 on the side of left side the action.
On the right side under the bolt, is the Crown, then GR, then 1916. Under that is SmtLE. Under that is III then rack mark or something. On the right side of the front receiver ring, is something looks like a J with vertical lines beside it, then a Z or 7, then England and under that the serial # 315.
This rifle weighs 9 1/4 pounds. The rifle belongs to my hunting buddy's wife. I have tried several times to give it back to her, no luck. Then I forgot about it until today.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: DarylS]
      #369984 - 08/10/22 02:26 AM

Damn things seem to breed in my gunsafe...

Lately, Jungle Carbines have been doing the same thing, there were 3 last time I looked!

A happy circumstance given their current inflated value!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: Marrakai]
      #369988 - 08/10/22 03:02 AM

Quote:

Lately, Jungle Carbines have been doing the same thing, there were 3 last time I looked!

A happy circumstance given their current inflated value!

Immature bred Jungle Carbines need to stretch their legs out of their home safe. I believe one wants to travel South ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
      #370298 - 14/10/22 10:32 AM

Good article.
Explains the difference in the first SMLE,,The MkI and the quick changes made to it that were then adopted as the MkI*.
These have the Sliding Charger Guide mounted on the bolt head.
Only made for a few yrs, the MkI* is the more common variation you may see. But they are very rare by any count.

The common SMLE most people think of and have is the MkIII(*) with the solid one piece charger guide rivited to the reciver.
That came out in 1907.
MkI* rifles updated to MkIII SMLE's were remarked as MkI***

(Yes there is an SMLE MkI**,,it's a designation set aside for the Ishapor Arsenal (India) mfg'rd SMLE that followed the MkI* pattern.)

The SMLE didn't become the Rifle 'No 1' till mid 1920's when the Govt decided to assign numbers to their infantry rifles.
SMLE #1
SMLE .22 trainer #2
Pat 14 Enfield .303 Rifle #3

Later
Enfield .303 Rifle #4
(Jungle)Carbine #5

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: 2152hq]
      #370302 - 14/10/22 05:18 PM

My first deer rifle was a cut down SMLE 303, was an early model, then graduated to a 32 Rem pump and then 7x61S&H for the rest of my earlier hunting life. Had a Jungle Carbine for a while, shot a few goats and a deer or two with it and then sold on. Also acquired a virtually new No4 fully wooded rifle which I don't think I ever fired before passing on to someone else who wanted it more than me.
My father and me after him used to make 410 shotguns from shot out SMLE's so as kids we used these neat guns as we progressed from rabbits to gamebirds.
Had a real nice BSA Sporter Lee Speed brought in to make into a 410 shotgun for the owner but had a shotty already made which he happily took. The barrel was shot out but I had some new barrels so rebarreled this beauty. One of my brothers ended up with it when he was short of a rifle but I think he flicked it off when he inherited my fathers Ruger 7mm-08.

The 303 was a good enough killer on deer sized animals, the 10 shot magazine handy when shooting up mobs of deer or goats. Not that many SMLEs come up for sale now, most that do are collectors items.

My first experience with the SMLE was when starting high school in our army cadet training which was in vogue in many schools back in the 60's (2-3 weeks military training for all boys at the start of the 1st year high school). Learning to strip, clean and shoot the SMLE and Bren gun was pretty good at 12 or 13 years old, no hearing protection provided back then and I still recall being deafened by the Bren guns when shooting one and laying next to others being fired fully auto at the same time.

Edited by eagle27 (14/10/22 05:19 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: eagle27]
      #370312 - 14/10/22 10:34 PM

Quote:

My father and me after him used to make 410 shotguns from shot out SMLE's so as kids we used these neat guns as we progressed from rabbits to gamebirds.

I had some shots with a friend's .410 converted SMLE. But do prefer a real shotgun for balance and pointability. Swing etc. We had and I have a side by side .410 shotgun with hammers.

Quote:

My first experience with the SMLE was when starting high school in our army cadet training which was in vogue in many schools back in the 60's (2-3 weeks military training for all boys at the start of the 1st year high school). Learning to strip, clean and shoot the SMLE and Bren gun was pretty good at 12 or 13 years old, no hearing protection provided back then and I still recall being deafened by the Bren guns when shooting one and laying next to others being fired fully auto at the same time.

I think programmes such as cadets, boy and girl scouts were excellent value for the kids and the country's future mentality. They should still be happening. I never attended any. Had to work in the farm instead of scouts, sport etc. Cadets at the local High Echool finished a few years earlier than when I attended. There were still cadet huts though where gear had been stored

Kids taken out camping, learning bush skills, camp cooking, food prepartion, shooting targets, etc is great for their confidence, outlook etc. Better than spending time on tablets and computer games. Hunting and eating wildlife even better!

Should be programmes like this again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: eagle27]
      #370317 - 15/10/22 02:37 AM

Quote:

The 303 was a good enough killer on deer sized animals, the 10 shot magazine handy when shooting up mobs of deer or goats. Not that many SMLEs come up for sale now, most that do are collectors items.

The above was my first centerfire rifle I ever owned.. shot buckets of whitetail deer with that rifle..and yes, when party hunting during drives, that 10 round magazine come in very handy.. and was reasonably accurate actually..

I am taking it out elk hunting this year a time or two.,.have never taken an elk with it or tried for that matter..Ammo in this caliber is currently hard to find in my area..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (15/10/22 02:39 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#370320 - 15/10/22 03:53 AM

I've a buddy who had me grind down the .303 reamer's pilot to .300" and chamber a 24" custom barrel (on a P14) so he could use 220gr. RN's in it as well as .303 factory loads and bullets.
It turned out the barrel shot 150gr. Hornady Interbond bullets exceptionally well with a load of 4064 at 2,750fps.
My friend used that rifle for 2 deer, a bear and a bull elk that fall. The deer and bear were close, under 200yards, but the elk was 415yards. away.
As long as the load is adequate, it's where you hit them, not what you hit them with.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: Marrakai]
      #370322 - 15/10/22 04:22 AM

Quote:

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: DarylS]
      #370327 - 15/10/22 07:58 AM

Quote:

I've a buddy who had me grind down the .303 reamer's pilot to .300" and chamber a 24" custom barrel (on a P14) so he could use 220gr. RN's in it as well as .303 factory loads and bullets.
It turned out the barrel shot 150gr. Hornady Interbond bullets exceptionally well with a load of 4064 at 2,750fps.
My friend used that rifle for 2 deer, a bear and a bull elk that fall. The deer and bear were close, under 200yards, but the elk was 415yards. away.
As long as the load is adequate, it's where you hit them, not what you hit them with.

150gn shoot well in my P14 with 46gn AR2208 (Varget) - PLEASE don't use this load in a SMLE, gets just under the 2700fps with the original Winchester barrel Standard deviation is under 10fps.
Those 150gn bust pigs up well!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #370335 - 15/10/22 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Was the FIRST centerfire I ever owned.. still have it.. thinking of trying to use it on elk this year.. might be fun.. AND a long cold hungry winter to follow..

More than a couple of Moose have fallen to the ole Three Oh. If it was not for the rim the cartridge would be more popular than it is.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: Rule303]
      #370336 - 15/10/22 06:23 PM

Gentlemen, what bullet weights would you choose for what game in the .303?

150 gr for medium sized deer, pigs, goats?

180 gr for elk and sambar?

Or a 200 gr or a 220 gr for the same and buffalo?

What type of bullet?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#370341 - 15/10/22 07:38 PM

We also need a new thread. Show us hunts with your 303. And/or Lee Enfield or Lee Speed. Allows other calibres. A .22/303 rabbit hunt!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #370371 - 16/10/22 10:59 AM

days of my youth I used 144, 150 grains mostly. Now it is 174 or 180. I use these for pigs and would use them on scrub bulls if I did not have any 220grai pills. I did try loading some 215 grain Hydros but they were wy to long to allow a useful powder charge in my opinion. I asked if they would make them in a 174 grain weight, or there abouts. Not interested in doing it. Suspect the sales where fairly slim so not viable for them.

I use a Ruger No1 in 303 as my Jungle carbine is range only as I do not have a scope on it and my eyes, will not now allow a quick pick up of front sight. I have acquired a No4 action that has base holes drilled in the action. I am making a sporter out of it but still keeping the peep sights and charger guide.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: First SMLE: Short Magazine Lee-Enfield History [Re: Rule303]
      #370375 - 16/10/22 12:51 PM

While I have a couple .303's, an old #4 with a virtually new condition .315groove diameter 2-groove barrel that shoots into 1 1/2" at 100 meters, 174gr. Hornady's with it's metallics, along with the #3 that really isn't mine - yet.
I've never hunted with a .303.
Actually, I just mailed a box of 174's to a friend down in Castlegar, B.C. as he couldn't find any for his kid (I think).
So- I've no .303 bullets.
Were I to use it for moose, it would be with the 170gr. RN. in the #4. Might try the 180's instead, hoping for a tougher jacket.
Oh yeah- it's no longer chambered for the .303 Brit. It's now a .315 Express, I think Ken Waters called it .313 Express. Chambered for a necked down .350 Rem Mag. It easily does 2,840fps with that 174gr. bullet with the top load @ 2,940fps - and the 1 1/2" accuracy I noted.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1508

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com