Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Britain debates growing wild boar population

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Britain debates growing wild boar population
      #36975 - 06/09/05 12:07 PM

BBC article

I hope they let the herd grow to sustainable numbers and allow hunting.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oldsarge
.300 member

Reged: 07/02/05
Loc: SoCal Borderlands
Re: Britain debates growing wild boar population [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #36977 - 06/09/05 12:24 PM

You've got a lot of British company. My bet is that there will be no effective action (given the British penchant for muddling through) until the population reaches critical mass and there are so many that they can't be controlled even by unrestricted hunting. And I'll bet that time isn't far away!

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: Britain debates growing wild boar population [Re: Oldsarge]
      #37008 - 07/09/05 07:58 AM

If it's designated by the landowner as vermin there should be no legal reason I can see why they can't be shot now.

Anyone thinking the UK Govt is farsighted enough to control these through hunting is away with the birds. That's logic for goodness sake, when did a modern Govt use that? Whatever gets the most votes is what dictates Govt policy and hunting 'aint it.

They'll either ignore it until it gets out of control and then wring their hands or they will most probably leave the control of them to licensed Vermin control companies. ( Unless of course they start spreading disease in which case it will be like the Foot and Mouth outbreak where they have the army driving around shooting them with 5.56mm FMJs and wondering why they don't fall over ).

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
Re: Britain debates growing wild boar population [Re: Metswedi]
      #37014 - 07/09/05 11:46 AM

The mention of contraception as a solution reminds me of the story about what happened at a meeting of ranchers in the West when the State Game Dept came out to talk to them about how they were going to reduce the problem of wolves killing livestock. The agent told the ranchers they were going to use contraception as a method of control and that the good folks from PETA were going to fund it...so their problems were over.

An old rancher got up from the back of the room and said "I don't think you folks understand our problem. The wolves aren't fucking the sheep, they're eating them."

Edited by DBBill (07/09/05 11:47 AM)

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Britain debates growing wild boar population [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #37124 - 10/09/05 12:35 AM

I love : quote
"They can cause road accidents and even attack people .
Attack people. My god.

And contraception????????? Contraceptives could be eaten by any omnivorous or herbivorous, the baits are often wrapped in agglutinated corngrains. So one temporarily "sterilizes" fox, crow, magpie, hedgehog, rat, squirels, roe, deer.... Worse Oestroprogestatives cannot make any good to males, and what about overdoses. Contraceptives are whatever You want save natural.

As usual, Sarge is bang right; even excessive hunting cannot restrain wildboar swarm.

If stupidity could kill anytime, we wouldn't read such stupid newspaper articles and declarations.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1687

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com