Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
.275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle
      #369688 - 01/10/22 01:28 AM

One of the major defining moments of Rigby’s return. The .275 Rigby SCI Corbett commemorative donation rifle broke the record for the highest value a bolt rifle has ever made at an SCI auction reaching $250k. This was a tremendous achievement for all involved with proceeds going to conservation projects worldwide. Built as a tribute to Jim Corbett and his famous .275 Rigby, and as celebration of the continent of Asia, this London Best in .275 was not only stunning covered in engravings with jungle scenes inspired by Corbett’s life and achievements, but shot as sharply as Corbett himself would have wanted. #RIGBY #GUNMAKING #LONDONBEST #MODERNCLASSIC #JIMCORBETT #SCI

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #369721 - 01/10/22 07:48 PM

Images added. Wow. Spectacular.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #369809 - 04/10/22 01:10 AM

Quote:

Images added. Wow. Spectacular.

Agreed!! Thanks for posting.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: degoins]
      #370307 - 14/10/22 09:27 PM

John, that is an amazing piece of art. Wouldn't I love to have it in my hands!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: CptCurl]
      #370308 - 14/10/22 09:29 PM

When and where was it auctioned?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: CptCurl]
      #370321 - 15/10/22 03:56 AM

Not my choice of engraving/carving, but quite spectacular, indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #370477 - 19/10/22 10:06 AM

A quick reminder:

The Making Of A Masterpiece Rigby Rifle

Enjoyable viewing no matter how many times I watch this stuff!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #371715 - 22/11/22 07:14 AM

Let's remember that .275 is the cartridge, and that .275 Rigby never existed.

Personally I think that engraving is truly awful, but the rest of it is spectacular.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #371726 - 22/11/22 03:51 PM

Interesting supposition. I just googled .275 Rigby and got a page full of responses.

One was: The .275 No 2 Magnum, also known as the 7mm Rigby Magnum Flanged and the .275 No 2 Rigby, is an obsolete centerfire rifle cartridge developed by John Rigby ..

Here's another: W.D.M. Bell Edition ~ .275 Rigby - Cabela's
https://www.cabelas.com › Home › Used Guns
.275 Rigby from www.cabelas.com
... signed by all the Rigby gunmakers involved in production of the rifle. The rifle is available in .275 Rigby, as per Bell's original rifle." Show more.

another:Description. Hendershot's is your best source for 275 Rigby Ammo……Yes, we use properly headstamped brass manufactured by Hornday!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #371733 - 23/11/22 04:13 AM

I like the lines of the rifle. Engraving is spectacular. I hope the new owner takes it hunting.

If it was mine I would take it hunting. 275 Rigby is a relabelled 7x57 Mauser. No matter the name a superb cartridge.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #372130 - 08/12/22 10:03 PM

Quote:

Interesting supposition. I just googled .275 Rigby and got a page full of responses.

One was: The .275 No 2 Magnum, also known as the 7mm Rigby Magnum Flanged and the .275 No 2 Rigby, is an obsolete centerfire rifle cartridge developed by John Rigby ..

Here's another: W.D.M. Bell Edition ~ .275 Rigby - Cabela's
https://www.cabelas.com › Home › Used Guns
.275 Rigby from www.cabelas.com
... signed by all the Rigby gunmakers involved in production of the rifle. The rifle is available in .275 Rigby, as per Bell's original rifle." Show more.

another:Description. Hendershot's is your best source for 275 Rigby Ammo……Yes, we use properly headstamped brass manufactured by Hornday!

It's not supposition, .275 Rigby is a modern misunderstanding. Rigby never called it by that name, or sold ammo for the ".275 Rigby". There are no original rifles or catalogues listing the .275 Rigby cartridge.

The British gun trade as a whole referred to the .275 Bore, or later to the .275 High Velocity loading.

The most famous users of the cartridge would be Bell and Corbett, who never called their rifles .275 Rigbys in their writing and nor were their rifles marked in that chambering.

American gunwriters have been mistakenly referring to it for the last few years, even people who shuld know better like CRaig Boddington and John Barsness, but British ones usually don't.

Now however it has taken a life of its own, the new Rigby company happily stamping new rifles .275 Rigby and Hornady even make brass with that headstamp. It is now common knowledge that the 7x57 used to be called the .275 Rigby! But its total rubbish. It was never a proprietary cartridge of theirs, now did they sell a rifle ever marked with the name till the new company started up who didnt know any better either.

It's a modern misunderstanding. Sounds very British doesnt it. .275 Rigby. But the 7x57 or the .275 has got nothing to do with Rigby and it was never referred to it as that cartridge name until modern gun magazines and the internet came along.

Essentially people have invented it and overlayed it on the past. It was called the ".275" in the UK or the 7mm Mauser. (As one example from the period, Bell used those names interchangably. )

Drop the Rigby name out of it, Nothing to do with them.*

(*They used to identify their rifles in that chambering as ".275 Bore" or ".275 High Velocity")

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #372132 - 08/12/22 10:36 PM

Yes but see my reply to your other almost exactly the same comments on another thread.

But it is case it IS a .275 AND a Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle. 100% accurate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372133 - 08/12/22 10:38 PM

PS second post about the same stuff we all know on this thread. Less negativity please. Maybe post some positive constructive threads we can all enjoy!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #372158 - 09/12/22 07:37 PM

A veritable work of art, with funds raised serving a good purpose. I don't imagine it is a rifle you would fire let alone take into the field. Should be retained as a mint edition and of course an investment. Obviously it is nothing like the original workhorse .275 Rigby rifle that Corbett used but then it wasn't designed and built to be. I'm sure Jim would have enjoyed the engraving for being a great artist impression of the land and beasts he hunted in it.

I still have the unanswered question in my mind as to why two years after Jim was presented with the .275 Rigby Mauser (he never mentions being presented with a Rigby), he himself purchased a new Westley Richards .275 Mauser and had a bit of a whoopsie with the two stage trigger when trying to dispose of a domestic stock eating beast. The way he talks of the purchase it is as if the Mauser bolt gun was new to him. The iteration of Westley Richards in this one particular episode is the only time Jim ever mentions a .275 rifle by makers name in all his books.

Why did Jim purchase another new .275 Mauser when he supposedly already had a Rigby?
Why does he give the impression this was the first time he had a Mauser bolt gun?
Why did he not have experience with a two stage trigger, does the Corbett Rigby have a single stage?

Jim if you hear me please solve the mystery.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: .275 Rigby Corbett Commemorative rifle [Re: eagle27]
      #372160 - 09/12/22 08:23 PM

Quote:

A veritable work of art, with funds raised serving a good purpose. I don't imagine it is a rifle you would fire let alone take into the field. Should be retained as a mint edition and of course an investment. Obviously it is nothing like the original workhorse .275 Rigb

y rifle that Corbett used but then it wasn't designed and built to be. I'm sure Jim would have enjoyed the engraving for being a great artist impression of the land and beasts he hunted in it.

Well Rigby has already made that commemorative, a faithfully produced even with the same scratches and dings Corbett presented plated rifle.

It's on a thread here on NE ascwell. I think curmudgeons even complained about that one as well. The dings weren't earned honestly or something like that. Wtf!?

Quote:

Jim if you hear me please solve the mystery.

Sooner or later it's time to revisit all the Corbett's books. I haven't for a decade or more.

I have a new pre-owned red leather bound "Maneaters of Kumaon"! The same as I featured on a thread. Red leather. Coloured maps and drawn images. Wunderbar!

I'll probably dig out my old cardboard cover Maneaters of Kumaon to read instead. Like a wonderful engraved work of art rifle staying in a display cabinet 0, my leather copy needs to stay pristine! I might read from it. Do I need archive gloves when reading it? Or does cigar or pioe smoke and whisky stains add to the character? Maybe some gun oil?

There was a set of six other red leather bound Corbett books for sale elsewhere. At 14x the price! Alas ...

Thanks to Mickey for receiving and resending the book to me. No foreign posting by the seller.

I wish there were good audio books of Corbett. Able to be listened to via smart phone download. Not via YouTube. I have endless hours of tractor work coming up.

I'll keep an ear and eye out for these deep Corbett mysteries!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3688

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com