Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A most unusual double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
A most unusual double rifle
      #368735 - 28/08/22 01:02 AM

Some time ago the most unusual double rifle I’ve ever seen came to my attention. It was apparently made for German colonial use. Made by Rheinmetall, Soemmerda, the former v.Dreyse factory, it was made for Robert Schrader, Goettingen, to his patents. Schrader’s trunnion breech action was a boxy looking affair, but extraordinary strong. Schrader’s 1901 DRPatent 137824 covered this breech action. Schrader’s lockwork was patented in 1898, DRPatent 100914. This is another example of the so-called “safety guns” that could be carried fully loaded and uncocked, but could be cocked and set on “fire” with a single movement. I function Schrader’s locks were based on the same idea as F. Beesley’s famous springcocking sidelocks, found on most Purdeys: A V mainspring engages the hammer with both limbs. The stronger limb pushes the hammer back to the full cock position, while the weaker one tries to push it forward to fire it. As long as both limbs are engaged, the gun cannot fire until a cam lifts the stronger limb out of engagement with the hammer. On the Purdey sidelocks this cam is operated by closing the barrels, making the guns self-opening. Schrader operated such a cam manually by the protruding “third trigger”. This trigger-shaped lever has three functions. Pushed forward it serves as the underlever, opening the action. In the middle position, as shown in the photos, the gun is safe as both mainspring limbs are engaged with the hammers. Pulled back against the grip it operates the cams that disengage the stronger limbs from contact with the hammers. As the cams go slightly beyond dead centre, the lever remains in the “Fire” up position until pushed down, snapping to the “Safe” middle position again. As you have to push the lever down/ forward all the way to open and reload the gun, the mainsprings bring the hammers back to their full cock positions automatically.

Any Schrader double rifle with his trunnion breech is unusual and very rare, but this rifle is unique for it’s chamberings. The right barrel is chambered for the old, black powder originally, 11.15x65R LK “Drillingspatrone”, but proofed for Schrader’s proprietary full Nitro load, a 324 gr steel jacket bullet and 57 gr smokeless rifle flake powder. This load puts the cartridge in the same class like the .405 Winchester, suitable for all game encountered then in Africa. Obviously this barrel was intended for general hunting use. The left barrel is chambered different. Apparently meant to be used as sort of an ”Emergency Brake” in case of a charge, it is chambered for the British .600 Nitro Express. Recoil must be terrifying, but you probably have other problems if any need to use it arises.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #368738 - 28/08/22 01:24 AM

kuduae,
Thanks for posting and a very good description of this DR operation. That is an interesting design concept.
Also interesting that they would chamber the barrels differently. It means that when one is hunting in the bush, they have to carry two different bullets, and during a stressful, emergency situation, pull the correct cartridge to reload. Seems complex & subject to error.
Chambering DR in two different calibers seems to not be unusual in continetal guns. I have seen a few DR with one barrel a medium bore and one a small bore.
However, in medium bore and large bor rifles, I am not sure I appreciate the logic. I saw a very nice looking Collath DR with one barrel chambered for the 10.5x65R and the other barrel chambered for the 9.5x65R. I believe both were old balck powder rounds that evolved into nitro rounds but could not imagine there being that much difference between the two.

--------------------
RB

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: 85lc]
      #368740 - 28/08/22 02:28 AM

Yes, an interesting rifle.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: crshelton]
      #368744 - 28/08/22 06:10 AM

Wow that is unusual kuduae, thanks for sharing!
I'd say the left barrel would not have been shot much if virtually at all.
The rifle looks like it is a bank vault, it must be one hell of a strong action, guess to tame a 600 you need a lot of weight!
Very interesting indeed.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #369012 - 06/09/22 03:53 PM

sometimes I sleep with open eyes all the day long, dont notice this before

I need the serial number kuduae! is this rifle still in germany or abroad?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #369155 - 11/09/22 04:10 AM

here is an older cousin for sale https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=18441040

one barrel 13,5 mm , the other 14,5 mm

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #369160 - 11/09/22 07:31 AM

Different and extreme. A .600 NE barrel beside a more usual sized cartridge.

Pick the right barrel please when shooting that warthog!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A most unusual double rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #369162 - 11/09/22 07:36 AM

Quote:

one barrel 13,5 mm , the other 14,5 mm

Again why?

Is there so much difference between them?

But again, maybe from the days when a man had but one gun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2516

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com