Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread
      #368196 - 08/08/22 07:24 PM

Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread

Man-Eaters of Kumaon
by Jim Corbett

Book online on eZine.NitroExpress.com - click here -"Maneaters of Kumaon" by James Corbett

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: NitroX]
      #368205 - 08/08/22 10:21 PM

I can sense another audio-book coming on.

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: cooch]
      #368208 - 08/08/22 10:45 PM

I have all of Corbetts books and have read them more than once. Good stuff!

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: cooch]
      #368209 - 08/08/22 10:48 PM

Quote:

All I could find was YouTube readings of Corbett made in India in english and Marathi or other languages.

I am interested in producing NitriExpress audio books of some of these great books and authors. Need to make a buck from the effort!

I'd love all the Corbett books on audio. I'd hate to hear myself reading them though! . I'd hear every mistake or flaw. What about a proper English accent for Bell? Or a possible Anglo-Indian accent for Corbett? A Germanic accent for Manners?

Ya reckon it's needed cobber?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: crshelton]
      #368211 - 09/08/22 12:56 AM

Quote:

I have all of Corbetts books and have read them more than once. Good stuff!

Same here. About time to start reading them again.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #368212 - 09/08/22 05:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All I could find was YouTube readings of Corbett made in India in english and Marathi or other languages.

I am interested in producing NitriExpress audio books of some of these great books and authors. Need to make a buck from the effort!

I'd love all the Corbett books on audio. I'd hate to hear myself reading them though! . I'd hear every mistake or flaw. What about a proper English accent for Bell? Or a possible Anglo-Indian accent for Corbett? A Germanic accent for Manners?

Ya reckon it's needed cobber?

I reckon that would be a grand idea John, not an easy thing to do speaking correctly with the proper pronunciation let alone the editing - they would be a welcome addition, getting the reprints of these books are virtually impossible now.

cooch
.300 member

Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: 93x64mm]
      #368213 - 09/08/22 06:51 AM

Proper pronunciation rather rules me out as a reader, but I like the idea of getting it right. 👍

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: degoins]
      #368214 - 09/08/22 07:16 AM

“about time to start reading them again”. Isn’t that the truth!

I have an early copy of this book that stays near my nightstand at all times. I have probably read it 6 times with about 18 months in between readings. It is wonderful tonic for anything that ails one - whatever that may be. As for the current time, it seems we are all tired of politics, having come to the collective realization that we’d better just get on with living. That’s what I’ve been thinking anyway.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: mckinney]
      #368230 - 09/08/22 06:52 PM

Quote:

“about time to start reading them again”. Isn’t that the truth!

I have an early copy of this book that stays near my nightstand at all times. I have probably read it 6 times with about 18 months in between readings. It is wonderful tonic for anything that ails one - whatever that may be. As for the current time, it seems we are all tired of politics, having come to the collective realization that we’d better just get on with living. That’s what I’ve been thinking anyway.

Myself I think it's time for revolution .... Oops I didnt write that, did I? Peaceful revolution only Mr Plod!

I relax from the BS with an audio book, a book or a good movie. Among the new ones, harder to find, too woke nowadays.

Wouldn't Corbett's books make great adventure movies.

Audiobooks of Corbett might require some Indian accenting. I can do it but doubtful sustained. Probably better not to.

I want to do Gunther Bahnemann's out if print "New Guinea Crocodile Poacher". But a German accent?!

If audiobooks were ever made, they would bee what they are. Maybe some elocution lessons online prior?

Gunther Bahnemann's "New Guinea Crocodile Poacher" would make a fantastic old style adventure movie.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

degoins
.333 member

#368234 - 09/08/22 11:12 PM

"Gunther Bahnemann's "New Guinea Crocodile Poacher" would make a fantastic old style adventure movie."

Yes it would!!

mckinney
.400 member

#368235 - 09/08/22 11:24 PM

The Corbett stories would make wonderful films if well done. They could even be made into short films. There are many interesting short films now and they are very impactful - “two strangers who meet five times” is a good example but there are many others.

On the audio books - maybe engage Indians, Germans etc to read the relevant parts? The Corbett stories would gain a lot with Indian voices.

Another thought - a Nitro express two or three week tour of the Corbett hunting grounds, homes etc?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368237 - 10/08/22 12:16 AM

Quote:

The Corbett stories would make wonderful films if well done. They could even be made into short films. There are many interesting short films now and they are very impactful - “two strangers who meet five times” is a good example but there are many others.

Excellent idea. Tv length episodes. But woke Hollywood, Netflix, A-Mazon etc would never make such evil imperialistic, colonial oppressive stories.

Independent? Needs to make money.

Quote:

On the audio books - maybe engage Indians, Germans etc to read the relevant parts? The Corbett stories would gain a lot with Indian voices.

You missed the bit about making a buck from it. I'm not splitting my $22 total profit from 200 hours work with no one.

And multiple readers is exponential more problems. Needs professional actors. No way.

Quote:

Another thought - a Nitro express two or three week tour of the Corbett hunting grounds, homes etc?

Excellent idea. I do want to go back to India and visit the Corbett sites. One just needs people to pony up and commit paying deposits for any group trip. I am not planning any trips for a while. Airfares ridiculous. Too risky for unreliable airlines. Jabs required? Etc. But in a year or two or three?

India as a destination is as NE Member Mehul described "equally fascinating and frustrating".

Wonderful interesting history, magnificent buildings, castles, forts, city walls, temples, mauseleums. Fantastic historical movies could be made. The parks have great populations of game. Tours are lesser in standard to Africa. Good hotels and accimidation. Great food. If you don't like indian food don't come! If you want it street cheap, prepare for serious dihorrea. I survived until almost the end. But in the last tiger park had to exit the vehicle for a bush twice. Travel by train. Long time hire car with a driver is easy. Great souvenirs. We bought jewels for the wife. Carpets for the floor, silk, cashmere, wool. Silk bedspreads and more.

Would be great to visit Corbett's haunts, Corbett National Park. And some other parks and sights.

Maybe Kipling sights as well?

A good itinery might be gleaned from some of the places the Right guys travelled.

Something to think about for maybe two or three years time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368238 - 10/08/22 12:18 AM

Quote:

"Gunther Bahnemann's "New Guinea Crocodile Poacher" would make a fantastic old style adventure movie."

Yes it would!!

Have read it? It's quite rare.

I'd like to out it up on NE as a book online. Still copyrighted. I was corresponding with Gunther Bahnemann's son a few years ago.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368239 - 10/08/22 12:19 AM

Another book reading I could absolutely do is John Dawkins "Rogues and Marauders". A fellow South Aussie.

What are copyright rules for making an audio book? It should not be too hard to get in touch with his wife or children as needed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #368245 - 10/08/22 02:23 PM

There is the movie Maneaters of Kumaon on Utube, link below.
It's okay but like many movies based on books, they don't provide the same 'feel' as the book does.

I'm sure everyone of us that reads Corbett's books has a different imagination in our minds of what the country, people and animals are like from Jim's writing. A movie is only one interpretation that we all see and hear and for many this bursts their bubble of imagination, mine definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMo2d1b1cP4

cooch
.300 member

Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: eagle27]
      #368249 - 10/08/22 09:23 PM

A quick check of the audible.com Jim Corbett author’s page shows a number of his works, read by Indians..... in an Indian language.

--------------------

degoins
.333 member

#368252 - 10/08/22 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it would!!

Have read it? It's quite rare.

I'd like to out it up on NE as a book online. Still copyrighted. I was corresponding with Gunther Bahnemann's son a few years ago.

Yep. I have a copy I ordered a couple of years ago after reading your mention of it on here.

mckinney
.400 member

#368258 - 11/08/22 07:05 AM

It appears we are not the only ones thinking of Corbett in August 2022.

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-rifles-of-jim-corbett

If Diggory Haddoke likes this new Corbett biography it’s probably pretty good.

On another note- perhaps there is something to group telepathy!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #368271 - 12/08/22 10:56 AM

Couple of fairly obvious errors in that account though if my understanding is correct:

Quote:

Corbett’s main double rifle was a .450-400 by W.J. Jeffery. This chambering was the most popular of double rifle rounds at the turn of the 20th century. It was outlawed for civilian use in India in 1907

Pretty sure that ban was only .450 chamberings, not .400 chamberings.
In any case, how could Corbett have owned a .400 Jeffery if the chambering was banned?

Also, the .470 Nitro having "very similar performance" to the .400 Jeffery is a long bow to draw. Maybe when compared with a .22 Rimfire...

Quote:

I think he means a black powder express rifle re-chambered and proofed for ‘Modified Cordite’.

Rechambered?? I don't think so...
IIRC that rifle is currently owned by a fellow contributor here, Was it a .577/.500 No.2 ?? Perhaps a Rodda?

Anyway...
will keep reading.
Good article, love this stuff!

Edit:
Quote:

Westley Richards as Mauser agents from 1898 until 1903, sold Mauser rifles, carbines and pistols to most of the British gun trade, including Rigby

This is not what the published Rigby history would have us believe!

...and
Quote:

A full list of Corbett’s rifles, used over the duration of his hunting career include: his double barrelled childhood muzzle-loader, with burst barrel and wired-together stock, his .577/450 Martini-Henry Volunteer rifle, a borrowed .450 muzzle loader, his .275 Westley Richards with set-trigger, a .500 ‘modified’ double rifle, his .450/.400 NE Jeffery and a borrowed 12-bore shotgun, loaded with ‘Kynoch Lethal Ball’.

Where's the Rigby .275??

And I don't believe the WR .275 had a set trigger. My recollection is that it had a 2-stage trigger, but perhaps a re-read is in order to confirm my recollection.

"Tall Trees" should be Tree Tops...

Really sorry about this post, ended up sounding quite negative, not my intention. Fully support as much material on Corbett as possible being published for us to enjoy.

...except when
Quote:

making clear an often muddied history

...the muddying is perpetuated by shortcomings in the article concerned!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: Marrakai]
      #368276 - 12/08/22 03:14 PM

Marrakai,

I haven't read the article but scanned it. No author recorded? Was it Hadoke? DH seems to be writing more and more for the Explora, a Westley Richards organ.

My guess seeing no Rigby .275 mentioned was the author is trying to claim the Rigby .275 was a Westley Richards .275?!

Two points.
1. Corbett used a .275 M98 tonshoot the tiger one handed I believe.
2. He later was presented with a presentation Rigby .275 with the presentation engraved plate. This rifle is owned again by Rigby. And a replica produced of it as well.

The Westley Richards being the suppliers to the British gun trade goescagainst everything written previously. We will have to follow this up. I will invite comments by Rigby.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

#368278 - 12/08/22 07:43 PM

Quote:

Marrakai,

I haven't read the article but scanned it. No author recorded? Was it Hadoke? DH seems to be writing more and more for the Explora, a Westley Richards organ.

My guess seeing no Rigby .275 mentioned was the author is trying to claim the Rigby .275 was a Westley Richards .275?!

Two points.
1. Corbett used a .275 M98 tonshoot the tiger one handed I believe.
2. He later was presented with a presentation Rigby .275 with the presentation engraved plate. This rifle is owned again by Rigby. And a replica produced of it as well.

The Westley Richards being the suppliers to the British gun trade goescagainst everything written previously. We will have to follow this up. I will invite comments by Rigby.

Corbett did purchase a Westley Richards Mauser in 275 Rigby from Manton's, he just happened to visit their shop and spotted the brand new WR. It had a two stage trigger and this tripped Corbett up the first time he attempted to fire the rifle with a close range sitter shot on one of the maneaters he was hunting. He lined the animal up and gently pulled the trigger and nothing happened. He thought he had forgotten to chamber a round although distinctly remembered doing so when settling in for the wait for the maneater. Jim then opened the bolt to chamber a round but of course the maneater took off at the first metallic sound. There was a round in the chamber and Jim then realised that not having used a two stage trigger before, he had only taken up the first pressure on the trigger. From memory the maneater went on to claim more victims before Jim finally shot it. I have all his books but can't remember which maneater was involved and in which book he narrates this story. I will find it for posterity.

He does say that he went on to use the WR 275 Rigby for a lot of his shooting. I am aware of the stories re Corbett being presented with a Rigby but in all his books he never mentions this anywhere. He does say that one of the Indian headmen who helped him bag a maneater was presented with a fine rifle at a special ceremony by the area Commissioner but never mentions when he was supposedly presented with one.

Need to be careful when talking of the 275 Rigby, as for many British proprietary cartridges, both cartridges and in many cases the guns bore the same name. In Jim's case related above, the Mauser he purchased himself was 'made' by Westley Richards for the 275 Rigby cartridge. The supposed presentation Mauser given to Jim was 'made' by Rigby for the same 275 Rigby cartridge.

mckinney
.400 member

#368282 - 13/08/22 01:58 AM

I believe the author of the new bio is Duff Hart-Davis.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368285 - 13/08/22 04:31 PM

Thanks for that eagle.

I have seen at least photos of Corbett being presented with the rifle. Also possibly it's mention in a book. When I re-read them all I will look out.

As for whether he used a Westley $ichards or a Rigby, both were Mauser 98s (?),. so what practically was the difference. Other than the triggers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

#368412 - 17/08/22 12:10 PM

Re the Rigby .275 that Jim Corbett was supposedly presented with after killing the Champawat man-eating tigress.

From Wikipedia - “The world’s third oldest gunmaker, John Rigby & Co., has acquired one of the most famous sporting rifles of all time: the .275 Rigby bolt-action rifle that was presented to Jim Corbett for killing the dreaded ‘man-eating tigress of Champawat’ in 1907 by Lieutenant-Governor of the United Provinces, Sir John Hewitt KCSI.”

Researching through all of the books written by Corbett I have come up with the following;

The Champawat tigeress was the first man-eating tiger or leopold that Corbett had ever shot and was bagged in 1907. The image below is of the last page in the chapter ‘The Champawat Man-Eater’, read last paragraph written by Corbett.

Corbett makes no reference to being presented with a Rigby .275 rifle anywhere in any of his books and when using a bolt rifle to hunt and or kill game or man-eaters only refers to “a .275 rifle”.

At the same time as the Champawat man-eater was active so was the man-eating leopold known as the Panar Leopold, the later which Corbett set out to hunt sometime in 1909, this date based on his reference in the chapter ‘The Temple Tiger’ in his book of the same name, to first meeting the priest of Dabidhura: “When two years previously I had been hunting the Champawat man-eater”. Corbett had set out to hunt the Panar man-eater but got diverted at the behest of villagers to hunting the Temple Tiger which was not a man-eater but was killing valuable stock. He got a few chances to kill the Temple Tiger but fouled things up and he or other hunters never did kill the Temple Tiger.
Meanwhile the Panar leopold man-eater had not had any fresh kills in the area so Corbett left and returned in 1910 in which year he killed both the Panar man-eater and also the Maktesar man-eater tiger.

When hunting the Temple Tiger, Corbett relates the following: Exert from ‘The Temple Tiger’ chapter pages 9-10 in the book ‘The Temple Tiger and more Man-eaters of Kumaon’

“Some months previously I had been to Calcutta on a short visit and one morning walked into Manton’s, the gunmaker’s shop. On a glass showcase near the door was a rifle. I was looking at the weapon when the manager, who was an old friend of mine, came up. He informed me that the rifle, a .275 by Westley Richards, was a new model which the makers were anxious to introduce on the Indian, market for hill shooting. The rifle was a beauty and the manager had little difficulty in persuading me to buy it on the understanding that if it did not suit me I would be at liberty to return it. So when I set out with my village friend to shoot his jarao with horns as big as the branches of an oak tree, I was carrying my brand-new rifle.”

Corbett sat up one night in 1909 to shoot the Temple Tiger with his new Westley Richards .275 bolt rifle and from a range of only 5 feet from the muzzle to the tiger’s head, the .275 failed to fire. Pages 13-16 in the chapter narrate what happened and how he only took up the first stage on the two stage WR rifle trigger and when it did not fire he opened the bolt thinking he had failed to chamber a round. Corbett had not used a two stage trigger before and had not shot the rifle before despite Mantons manager stressing to him that it had a two stage trigger.

So in summary, Corbett himself purchased the new Westley Richards rifle only two years on from supposedly being presented with a Rigby .275 rifle for killing the Champawat man-eater.
Why does Corbett never mention being presented with the Rigby .275 and why did he purchase a new Westley Richards .275 shortly after the supposed presentation.
Was a Rigby Mauser a two stage trigger, if so, Corbett obviously never fired it before using his new WR 2 years later, or he was never presented with a Rigby!!!!! (or maybe was and it was a single stage trigger?). However, in his narrative of buying and using the WR .275 in the Temple Tiger, one gets the impression that this was the first bolt action Mauser he possessed.

What was the rifle presented to the Indian Tahsildar by Sir John Hewitt at the Durbar in 1907 of which Corbett himself mentions was suitably engraved would be an heirloom handed down in the Tahsildar’s family?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368415 - 17/08/22 05:30 PM

Where is the photograph of the presentation ceremony? I believe I have seen it many times.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com