Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Affordable Side by Side Shotguns..
      #367975 - 27/07/22 07:36 AM

The Affordable Side-by-Side Shotgun Is Making a Comeback with American Bird Hunters
Now just might be the best time for upland bird hunters to buy a modern side-by-side shotgun

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/a...SyH2VeBIFGqz_uc

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: Ripp]
      #367976 - 27/07/22 05:11 PM

I used to shoot side by sides almost exclusively. Then found I wasn't shooting my Azhur well at all anymore. I think the buttstock is a little short. But it has no recoil pad, just wood. I don't want to cut that. Maybe a slip on pad might lengthen it enough?

I have a Greener Empire. A Simson Suhl, which looks the same as a Merkel. My Grandfather's twist weld or Damascus ? barrel Hollis with hammers. My other grandfather's Stevens, missing one hammer. All 12-bores. Then a Belgian side by side .410 with hammers.

The article could be good, but these "writers" just seem to rewrite stuff from the makers advertising catalogue listings as their excuse for an article. Other than maybe the first shotgun has the writer even touched one of the listed examples? Other than looking at advertising digital images?

Pity some of the listed offerings are only single trigger. A result of the modern clay target only shooting environment. Double triggers IMO is so much better.

Nevertheless good to see an article promoting purchases of side by side shotguns. From the under and over v0being rare now the side by side is only carried by aficianadoes and dedicated. Or the man with just an "old gun". Often these guys shoot very well.

Ripp, thanks for posting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: NitroX]
      #367978 - 27/07/22 05:35 PM

I have an old Laurona SxS that was a cousin's club gun, a lot of rounds have gone down those barrels, its still tight but parts are wearing. My wife used it as did a few others when we were invited to have a clay shoot at some relative's property, every one who shot it enjoyed doing so & it performed well considering it would have to be 6o years plus now. When the chance to get some ducks come up it's the one I like to use.

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #367979 - 27/07/22 07:53 PM

Quote:

Pity some of the listed offerings are only single trigger. ...... Double triggers IMO is so much better.

Nevertheless good to see an article promoting purchases of side by side shotguns. ......

May I ask your reasoning as to why you feel double triggers are much better?

And thank you Ripp for sharing, a good article, and I support it's promotion of side by sides

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #367980 - 27/07/22 08:29 PM

I'd like one day to have a matched pair of "English" side by side shotguns. Almost certainly vintage.

Of course it might depend on what they have been for. Game guns, lighter? Then not the best for waterfowl. Many choices. Once one has a pair, one might need another for a different use.

But the aim is ONE nice Brit side by side shotgun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: LRF]
      #367981 - 27/07/22 08:35 PM

Quote:

May I ask your reasoning as to why you feel double triggers are much better?

Same for double rifles. Two barrels, two locks, and two triggers.

Also one can choose which barrel and choke or shotshell to enjoy first. Incoming, shoot the tighter choke first. Easy to do with two triggers.

ALL of my twin barrel firearms have two triggers. ThecTikka/Valmet didn't. I replaced the single trigger with a twin trigger.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#367988 - 28/07/22 05:38 AM

Quote:

I used to shoot side by sides almost exclusively. Then found I wasn't shooting my Azhur well at all anymore. I think the buttstock is a little short. But it has no recoil pad, just wood. I don't want to cut that. Maybe a slip on pad might lengthen it enough?

I have a Greener Empire. A Simson Suhl, which looks the same as a Merkel. My Grandfather's twist weld or Damascus ? barrel Hollis with hammers. My other grandfather's Stevens, missing one hammer. All 12-bores. Then a Belgian side by side .410 with hammers.

The article could be good, but these "writers" just seem to rewrite stuff from the makers advertising catalogue listings as their excuse for an article. Other than maybe the first shotgun has the writer even touched one of the listed examples? Other than looking at advertising digital images?

Pity some of the listed offerings are only single trigger. A result of the modern clay target only shooting environment. Double triggers IMO is so much better.

Nevertheless good to see an article promoting purchases of side by side shotguns. From the under and over v0being rare now the side by side is only carried by aficianadoes and dedicated. Or the man with just an "old gun". Often these guys shoot very well.

I have only shot sxs's for the better part of 25 years.. all I really do anymore regarding shotguns is hunt huns and pheasant.. ducks and geese no longer interest me even a little.. LOVE the sxs Shotguns...things of beauty..

--------------------

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
      #367991 - 28/07/22 11:04 AM

I'm a huge fan of SxS shotguns, I've had the good, the bad and the brilliant over the years.
Possibly my favourite was a Franchi Highlander 12ga, it was single trigger and a damn good goose gun when I was living up north, I regret selling that one. It was my 1st single trigger SxS and my 1st shotgun with screw in chokes.
I love my Beretta Silver Hawk, but being a shot and ball/slug gun it's not ideal for wing shooting with the big blade front sight and fixed I/C & Light/Mod chokes, it's single trigger too which I find brilliant for instant second shots.
Although I'm not exactly slow with the double trigger, but the single is quicker.

The one I really regret parting with was a mint Greener Blue rock I was given as a kid, that one when I was much younger and dumber I traded for a new Remington 1100, worse mistake of my life but being 16 then I definitely didn't appreciate it the way I would now.

But I've had cheap ones, my paddock gun was a Baikal and I've owned 2 more since then, good honest reliable guns, they weren't anything fancy but they did a brilliant job.

I had a model 43E by Dynamite Nobel that was the best cheap gun I ever bought, I sold that to a mate and I'd love to get it back, nice engraving, great wood, solid and a bit heavy but very well balanced, beautiful blueing and back when I bought it I only paid $800.
Id happily pay twice that to get it back now.

Then there's a whole lot more that don't really stick out in my mind other then my grandpa's VG Bentley but that would need a massive write up on its own, it's the gun that cursed me with being a SxS man.

I've only ever owned 3 U/O's and never much liked them, although the last shotgun I bought was a cheap one I bought as a cheap knock around pig chasing gun, it's scoped with a rifled choke in the top and an imp/cyl underneath that I'm going to use with round ball, slugs and buckshot exclusively on once a year pig trips.
But in the less rough country the Beretta will be my 1st choice.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: 260rem]
      #368007 - 29/07/22 04:58 AM

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of SxS shotguns, I've had the good, the bad and the brilliant over the years.
Possibly my favourite was a Franchi Highlander 12ga, it was single trigger and a damn good goose gun when I was living up north, I regret selling that one. It was my 1st single trigger SxS and my 1st shotgun with screw in chokes.
I love my Beretta Silver Hawk, but being a shot and ball/slug gun it's not ideal for wing shooting with the big blade front sight and fixed I/C & Light/Mod chokes, it's single trigger too which I find brilliant for instant second shots.
Although I'm not exactly slow with the double trigger, but the single is quicker.

The one I really regret parting with was a mint Greener Blue rock I was given as a kid, that one when I was much younger and dumber I traded for a new Remington 1100, worse mistake of my life but being 16 then I definitely didn't appreciate it the way I would now.

But I've had cheap ones, my paddock gun was a Baikal and I've owned 2 more since then, good honest reliable guns, they weren't anything fancy but they did a brilliant job.

I had a model 43E by Dynamite Nobel that was the best cheap gun I ever bought, I sold that to a mate and I'd love to get it back, nice engraving, great wood, solid and a bit heavy but very well balanced, beautiful blueing and back when I bought it I only paid $800.
Id happily pay twice that to get it back now.

Then there's a whole lot more that don't really stick out in my mind other then my grandpa's VG Bentley but that would need a massive write up on its own, it's the gun that cursed me with being a SxS man.

I've only ever owned 3 U/O's and never much liked them, although the last shotgun I bought was a cheap one I bought as a cheap knock around pig chasing gun, it's scoped with a rifled choke in the top and an imp/cyl underneath that I'm going to use with round ball, slugs and buckshot exclusively on once a year pig trips.
But in the less rough country the Beretta will be my 1st choice.

With a little smattering of 20 gauge from time to time, my gauge of choice is the 16.. especially for late season pheasants.. 16 gauge 4 or 5 shot works great..

--------------------

260rem
.375 member

#368016 - 29/07/22 01:27 PM

I'd love to get a 16ga and 9.3x74R drilling, but unfortunately getting 16ga ammo here is a very big problem.
I'm quite surprised that it didn't catch on more here, it's a very versatile gauge.

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #368035 - 30/07/22 08:47 AM

Quote:

I'd love to get a 16ga and 9.3x74R drilling, but unfortunately getting 16ga ammo here is a very big problem.
I'm quite surprised that it didn't catch on more here, it's a very versatile gauge.

16G ammo is freely available here, even in steel shot loadings. There must be some demand as it available from several outlets nationwide at comparable pricing to the common 12G and 20G.

260rem
.375 member

Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: eagle27]
      #368038 - 30/07/22 12:40 PM

I see it for sale in some stores online but it's over priced compared to 12ga and 20ga and your selection is pretty limited
I'd reload if I picked one up, although every time I ask about any shotgun powder I get a chuckle as a reply.
I'm going to have to load 12ga hulls with the black stuff at this rate as it's the only shotgun suitable powder I have in an amount.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368041 - 30/07/22 05:41 PM

Quote:

16 bore side by side shotguns used to be occasionally seen in gunships. Usually simple continental guns.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
      #368144 - 06/08/22 11:15 PM

Benn shooting Parker guns since a teenager. Two barrels and two triggers:

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Affordable Side by Side Shotguns.. [Re: crshelton]
      #368147 - 07/08/22 12:41 AM

Excellent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
      #368165 - 07/08/22 11:48 PM

After .1996 and the unmentionable Mr Howard, I required a shotgun that I could legally use off my own property. For years that need was filled by a base-grade AYA. Very plain and treated somewhat roughly both before and after it came into my possession . It shot well for me and would still be in use if the opening cam had not worn to the point that closing it was not possible without holding the top lever at the extremity of its movement.

It’s place is now filled by a fairly basic Beretta, fixed-chokes (full and half) in similar condition. There is a place for nicer guns, but probably not across the seat of the Toyota, being trodden on by a pair of overly-enthusiastic terrier (as tho there is any other kind 🙄)

Like John, I appreciate the option of different loads in different barrels when shots and game vary.

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com