Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trip down memory lane

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Trip down memory lane
      #368 - 02/01/03 09:13 PM

I know some of you may have seen this post on another forum.
But what was your first african game you took what caliber and when.

Mine was warthog .308 and in 1990

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Trip down memory lane [Re: SafariHunt]
      #374 - 03/01/03 04:48 AM

A 36 point Warthog (Gold-SCI) 2002-07-22 Outside Messina, RSA on the riverbed of Sand River around 16,00 with my 300 win mag and a 200 grains oryx bullet.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Trip down memory lane [Re: cchunter]
      #485 - 05/01/03 01:45 PM

My first African animal was a striped horse - a Zebra mare. We hunted Zebra on the Bubiana Conservancy in Zim several times, sighting them from the vehicle before following them and stalking them in the bush. Each time the Zebras were alert and didn't stop for more than a couple of seconds when sighted. We covered a lot of kilometres and failed to connect for the first five to seven stalks.

Finally a herd stayed put long enough for me to jump out of the cruiser take a sitting rest on a bush's trunk and fire a shot. The zebra was hit well in the centre of the chest when facing towards us, but ran off with the rest of the herd. We continually expected to find it lying behind a bush but one and a half kilometres later we came across the herd with the zebra lying down. As it rose a finishing shot put it down.

The rifle was a .30-06 and the bullet a 180 gr Nosler Partition which acted like a solid, didn't expand at all and zipped through the chest. The PH said later the bullet had actually damaged the heart. Even given the bullet failure amazing how far the mare went and even more how many bushes needed to be cleared to get the bakkie in for retrieval.

A highlight for me was while waiting by the animal while the PH and trackers blazed a track through the bush, I was sitting in an area where elephants had fed through only a couple of hours earlier. While there were no lion in the conservancy the presence of elephant, black and white rhino and presumably leopard added to the atmosphere.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Trip down memory lane [Re: NitroX]
      #501 - 06/01/03 05:46 AM

NitroX

I had the similar experiense last year in RSA that the Zebras were very hard to hunt opposite from what most people think. When I said at home that I might take a Zebra my hunting buddies said that I could as well go and shot a horse.

When I had two days left of the hunt I decided to take either a Oryx, Blue Wildebeest or a Zebra, just to have as much open as possible. The Kudu was already taken. We stalked Zebras a couple of times but never get an opputunity to shot. So next time I go for one. About sitting and waiting I also did that with my warthog for about 30 minutes and that was many thaughts going through the head then.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Mpofu
.300 member

Re: Trip down memory lane [Re: SafariHunt]
      #713 - 09/01/03 09:25 PM

It was the deep end for me.
In 1999, in the Zambezi valley, Zimbabwe. It was my first trip to Africa, and I was on a 7 day Buff, Tuskless and hyena hunt. I was using a Win model 70 375 H&H Mag, with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw solids for the Buff and Ele. Softs for the Hyena. I was accompanied by my wife.
On the third day of the hunt, having seen absolutely nothing thus far, we spotted a lone Buffalo Bull, about 400 yards away, as we drove along a track in the Land Cruiser.
The Buff turned and ran into the Jesse, and we soon followed up on foot.
To cut it short, after tracking the Buff for about two hours, only getting the odd glimpse of him, he brought us back to virtually where we initially picked up his tracks, by a wallow.
He offered me a quartering away shot at about 50 yards, which I took.I put the shot in behind the left shoulder, aiming for the opposite shoulder.The shot pole axed him , and I remember thinking that all this talk about the toughness of the beast being grossly exaggerated. The PH ran up the side of the hill for a better look, and told me to follow. The video cameraman and my wife, sort of walked up behind us, the next thing I heard was my wife shout out and on turning around , I saw the charging Buff. He was headed for the spot where we had fired from , about 30 yards away, and gave me the chance to put a shot into his neck , which finished him off. My wife had dived head first into the bushes, and had to be helped out, and to his credit, the cameraman captured almost all of it on film.
The Buff was an old Daggaboy, not a wide spread, 35", but boy, did he give us a thrill.
Wish I knew how to post his pics up.
Needless to say, I was hooked on Buff hunting , and though I am on Buff no. 5 so far, that first one will always be the one that sticks out the most.
M.

original500nitro
.224 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Re: Trip down memory lane [Re: Mpofu]
      #716 - 10/01/03 01:17 AM

1970, army camp in the Free State. I was asked to shoot one of the many springbok in the training area for the last evening braai.
Using my issue 7.62 R1 (like an FN_FAL) and military ball.
Snuck up to about 100m and took a dead rest over an anthill and shot. The springbok jumped slightly at the shot and my Corporal said he saw dust fly on the far side of the animal, and was giving me the gears for missing. The rest of the herd just stood. They were used to the sound of ordinance since it was a military training range and they were almost never shot at or hunted.
Suddenly the springbok I shot lurched and slowly toppled over, dead. The solid had gone clean through and just nicked one of the main arteries.
Shattered my dreams that when hit by a rifle the animal was not knocked clean off it's feet ala Hollywood hyperbole

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Trip down memory lane [Re: Mpofu]
      #719 - 10/01/03 01:49 AM

Mpofu

To post a photo please use this thread in IT Tips. It shoudl help you in posting a photo.

If not send me an email or a private message and I will help.

Would love to see your charging buff video as well. It sounds exciting.

Help Thread on Posting Photos and Graphics

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Trip down memory lane - Pic of Mpofu's buff [Re: Mpofu]
      #739 - 10/01/03 11:36 AM

Mr Mpofu or Mr Eland I believe has sent me a couple of pics for us to enjoy.

Here they are.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

SafariHunt
.333 member

Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: Trip down memory lane - Pic of Mpofu's buff [Re: NitroX]
      #744 - 10/01/03 07:15 PM

Mpofu,

Still a nice buff has a nice look and nice curl and good boss. And as you say he was a thrilling hunt. Very nice kudu as well nice and wide

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1881

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com