Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not!
      #366908 - 21/06/22 12:35 AM

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/a-travel-outfit-and-safari-staples/

Need an African "outfit"? Ha ha, visit a ladiesboutique or read what Diggory Hadoke recommends. Remember get a mortgage first!

May 24, 2022
A Travel Outfit and Safari Staples
Your Westley Richards .577 NE is ready for collection and you are heading for deepest Africa. To make sure your clothing will meet the challenges of the bush as well as your rifle, start with a jacket. The perfect safari jacket will be on your back for the outward trip and you will start the day wearing it. It will also be there at day’s end, when the temperature again dips and the sun goes down.

By Diggory Hadoke

We designed our Selous Safari Jacket to be as rugged as its historic namesake Frederick Courteney Selous; soldier, explorer and hunter. The rugged cotton material will withstand hard use and remain comfortable and protective in the heat and dust.

Its numerous deep, flap pockets provide a place to stow most of your essentials and the belt keeps it secure and snug fitting when loose fabric may catch on thorns or branches.

Matching perfectly, our Safari Trousers provide the protection and comfort needed for all-day wear on active duty, yet look smart enough when laundered to pass muster at the airport lounge. Secure them with a Post & Co. alligator belt, which compliments the suit and won’t let you down. Make sure a calibre-appropriate Ammunition Belt Wallet is fitted, but we suggest you don’t load it until in-country!

As a first layer, a Mountain Breeze Shirt provides cool relief during the mid-day sun and protection from flies and sun-burn. In natural colours, it blends in well with most surroundings.

Selous Boots are a must; your Professional Hunter will be wearing them for a reason. Nothing else is quite as good in the sandy soil or as comfortable during long treks in search of game.

A Hunting Hat provides all the comfort and sun shading that tradition dictates. It also sets the tone nicely.

Hunting Outfit

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/...OUT-CLARITY.jpg

A day bag for all occasions, the Sutherland is made from beautiful quality hide, with brass fittings, stitched in our workshop to withstand very hard use. As it ages it becomes more personal and all the scratches and scuffs from your safari will simply add character. Put your Tool Roll inside in case anything gets loose or clogged during the day. The essentials inside will make the day run smoother should you need them.

Similarly crafted and just as reliable, the Westley Richards Rifle Sling will complement your other kit and ensure comfortable shoulder-relieving carriage of your rifle is always an option. The Campaign Shirt provides just a little more protection than the Mountain Breeze shirt and suits cooler weather as well. The Guide Vest is a popular alternative to a jacket, leaving arms free and promoting air circulation, while boasting plenty of body-secure storage for essentials without the need to carry a bag.

A Westley Richards ball cap is an easy-carry backup to your safari hat and might just prove better suited to days in thick cover. A Post & Co. Belt and Faliero Sarti scarf will take care of waist and neck-line, while Safari Shorts provide relief in the heat of the day and allow for a little tanning.

The Courteney Warrior Boots compliment the Selous Boots as a second pair, should a bit of swamp-wading render your day-boots unsuitable for the evening around the fire, or even next day’s hunting, while they dry out. A Explora Ball Cap provides all the comfort and sun shading that tradition dictates. It also sets the tone nicely.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/...-FINAL-WARM.jpg

A Modern Option

For cooler mornings or when a wait is more likely than a long stalk, keep the upper body warm and protected with the rugged Pathfinder Gilet and Expedition Shirt combination. These flexible garments allow for easy movement, provide adequate storage for essentials and provide core warmth. All the more important when Pathfinder Shorts are preferred below the waist, as they are by many.

For protecting that expensive rifle, the Harridence Slip, with its canvas outer, trimmed with hide, is ideally light yet incredibly tough and protective. A traditional alternative to Post & Co. exotic skin belts is the Westley Richards 2" Leather Belt, made especially to carry the Ammunition Belt Wallet in comfort and style.

Safari Boots are a lightweight, canvas alternative to the game hide staples in the Courteney Boot range and are a popular choice for long treks. Team them with comfortable Rototo Cotton Waffle Socks.

A Safari Ball Cap provides sun-shading and a modern style that appeals to many younger hunters, while our Perforated Leather Shooting Gloves will ensure your hands are un-affected by tsetse flies and ready for action.

Whatever outfit combination you choose, Westley Richards is the right place to be.

Everything in our range is designed and made to do a job; to do it well, with a dash of style.

By Diggory Hadoke
People, Used Guns, Clothing & Accessories, Travel, Safari, New Guns, Guns & Rifles, Leather, Rifles

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/a-travel-outfit-and-safari-staples/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (21/06/22 12:53 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: NitroX]
      #366909 - 21/06/22 12:41 AM

Green, olive or karki shorts fine. Those white,cwhitish very light coloured "traditional" African/East African clothes or "outfit" ... Only for newbies and wannabes.

I doubt the old guys back in 1890 to the 1930s actually wore such light colours on safari. Stand out against the Blackmore dark coloured tree trunks and bush. In the green months shine like a light bulb.

PS one has to laugh about a guy talking about dressing in an "outfit".

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366910 - 21/06/22 01:01 AM

That jacket, green or olive or karki fine. Pale or white? You have to be joking! Same as the trousers.

Leave the crocodile belt for town posturing! I have a really nice Aussie one too

That hat, good brim, but maybe too hot for Africa? I have a wool hat for winter, a gauchos hat from Peru. Large brimmed butway to sweaty for summer. I wear it to keep my neck dry and my scalp warm.

A rabbits skin Akubra for summer. Much cooler than wool based. Mine is the Coober Pedy. Still a little hot and sweaty at times but the shade is worth it.

Forget the stupid ball caps.

I will take the double however.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366911 - 21/06/22 01:03 AM

PS user the hat is one of those crushable v0fotton or synthetic brimmed ones.

Less stylish for your "outfit" but they work fine and are cool.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366912 - 21/06/22 01:06 AM

WTF Diggory?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366913 - 21/06/22 01:09 AM

I hope all these Enh0glish gentlemen have tough shins and calves if wearing shorts all day in the thorns when getting their "tans" ... Ha ha ha. Take good sun cream if planning to "tan" on safari, Diggory!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366932 - 21/06/22 04:58 PM

Who on Earth would take that lovely leather cabin bag out in the bakkie? Or God forbid carried on a long walk after buffalo or elephant?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366933 - 21/06/22 05:06 PM

What is your favourite safari, shikar of hunting "outfit"?

Silk scarves part of your shikari ensemble? I like mine to be Indian inspired to match my howdah's saddle blanket! ha ha.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #366942 - 22/06/22 01:02 AM

Quote:

Silk scarves part of your shikari ensemble? I like mine to be Indian inspired to match my howdah's saddle blanket! ha ha.

I wore shorts on all my hunts in Africa.. didn't really have an issue with the thorns, stickers, and all the other nasties..However..

Didn't wear white..had greens and browns on for colors.. shirts were long sleeve that could be rolled up.. or no sleeves once it got really hot.. was over 110F a few days in Zim when we were hunting buffalo once.. THAT to me was too hot .

You do see people show up dressed in items like above.. with their fancy custom everything.. in many cases they are not what I consider a hunter.. they want everything done for them.. makes me smile.. and in most cases are unable to hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (22/06/22 03:07 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: Ripp]
      #366958 - 22/06/22 08:49 AM

2 observations:
More of these WR sponsored “safari” cloths will be worn in the restaurants and bars in Aspen, Colorado or a gay bar in San Francisco than anywhere on a real hunt.
….and the thought of actually getting the new cloths dirty?

I imagine the “well dressed Great White Hunter” would see his (her?) quarry pointing and laughing hysterically.

I hope Dig Hadoke got paid a fair amount to shill for those clothing companies.

- Mike

ADDED: What a beauty of a rifle in the leading photo!

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Edited by 3DogMike (23/06/22 12:47 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: 3DogMike]
      #366971 - 22/06/22 03:26 PM

I actually wear safari clothes virtually every day.

In summer cotton trousers and shorts and cotton bush shirts. A "safari" or shooting vest a lot, Useful pockets. I want to design the perfect shooting/safari/Shikar vest for NEVand Me!

In winter lots of polar fleece t shirts, shirts. Long pants under moleskins. Newly have been wearing Tweed shooting vests. I blame ozhunter, I bought one off him. Shooting coats from Beretta.

Greens, browns, tans, karki.

Not suitable for the Aspen restaurant. Definitely not the "gay bar"!!!

Not suitable for the military club either.

Good for the dog when he jumps on me. So suitable for my best mate.

"Outfits" are for bars where men plan to meet strange men ...

The Westley Richards clothes other than the £1000 price tags ... aren't bad if in greens and browns.

One of the best safari jackets is the old olive drab US Army jackets. Impossible to find now in non camo. I have a jacket with probably some 20 plus pockets from a fishing brand. Zip off sleeves, i can do a Ripp sleeveless if desired! My current one is getting quite worn and daggy. Time to acquire a new one. They are still made!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/12/23 05:42 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #366978 - 22/06/22 08:03 PM

I have to say that apart from when I am going out or at work I only wear cargo shorts in summer and cargo pants in winter. Same with my Courtney's, I wear them whenever possible, most comfy boots I have ever owned. In summer and Autumn I always hunt in my Rigby short sleeved shirts, love them. I have a Jacket from Boyt Harness which is a Safari Style with out the belt, very warm and comfortable. If hunting in winter I wear Stony Creek.

Some of the things on offer from Westley Richards are fantastic but very expensive, other stuff is a bit of a wank. A lot of these items look a lot better once worn in and used.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

ThreeThreeEight
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/22
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #367025 - 23/06/22 09:35 AM

I wear what passes for "safari clothes" in the summer when I go fishing. In the winter I find they aren't all that useful when it is -35 and blowing snow.

swm
.224 member

Reged: 07/04/19
Loc: Indiana USA
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: ThreeThreeEight]
      #374196 - 17/02/23 02:31 PM

I will admit that I spend too much money for Orvis items but I find them long lasting, comfortable and practical. On safari you will find me teaming the Orvis clothing with equal parts of Carhartt clothing. All in green, tan, kaki.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: swm]
      #380829 - 01/12/23 12:52 PM

There are two rules for dressing/hunting buffalo in Africa.

1) Wear dark, drab, olive green.

2) Move slowly or hold still.

Nothing follows.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: Cazadero]
      #380833 - 01/12/23 03:42 PM

I suppose those clothes appeal to some peoples vanity, personally I wouldn't be seen dead in them when hunting, toff or poof springs to mind.

I have read posts where the hunter admits to changing shirts, cleaning sweaty face and hands and combing hair before having photos taken with trophies, hmmmm, bit of a bugger when you get a bit dirty and sweaty when hunting. Vanity is a strange thing at times.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: eagle27]
      #380836 - 01/12/23 09:45 PM

Quote:

I suppose those clothes appeal to some peoples vanity, personally I wouldn't be seen dead in them when hunting, toff or poof springs to mind.

I have read posts where the hunter admits to changing shirts, cleaning sweaty face and hands and combing hair before having photos taken with trophies, hmmmm, bit of a bugger when you get a bit dirty and sweaty when hunting. Vanity is a strange thing at times.

Certainly not me. In my photos I am dirty sweat stained. Can not understand why people do this as it looks like they shot the game from the back of a 4X4.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: Rule303]
      #380846 - 02/12/23 04:32 AM

I suppose if I were to go to Africa, I'd need a new hunting wardrobe. My hunting closes need to provide some comfort in freezing temps and they do, or rather did, when I hunted. Haven't really hunted, since my hunting buddy Brad died. Lost the drive. Used to get wound up hunting fever at the first frost in the fall. Now, I'm still fishing.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: DarylS]
      #380867 - 02/12/23 05:59 PM

Quote:

I suppose if I were to go to Africa, I'd need a new hunting wardrobe. My hunting closes need to provide some comfort in freezing temps and they do, or rather did, when I hunted. Haven't really hunted, since my hunting buddy Brad died. Lost the drive. Used to get wound up hunting fever at the first frost in the fall. Now, I'm still fishing.

I've had trouble with "Northerners"coming "South" for hunting. No matter how much one advised, one German acquaintance of an acquaintance, turned up with heavy wood, leather, and the like for an October deer hunt here. 30 deg C, he cooked.

No doubt he is used to hunting in ice and snow, or at least cold rain. And couldn't comprehend other hunting temperatures.

A smart hunter or person adjusts for the conditions. My first Norwegian Elg hunt with Erik. I had some cotton shirts along. The second, none, wool, polar fleece etc. one learns. And also listens.

Aside from the mortgage prices of these clothes, a comment like 'these clothes are worn by "toffs and poofs" ' says more about the writer than the clothing.

Silk scarves? I would agree is funny. More for a social shoot, or the ladies, not a serious hunt.

I've never heard of someone getting changed into other clothes for the "trophy photo shoot"? Washing your face, looking less scruffy, what's the big deal.

Being sweaty, sweat soaked, red faced from heat I've certainly been that in photos.

My main complaint is the price. I can't afford it!

My second complaint is the colour is often the "old East African" light almost white shade. Might be OK in the dry pale grassland of white beached trunk scrublands. I wore a farm jacket pale in colour in 1994 on my first Zimbabwe safari. The PH pointed out the tree trunks are almost black in colour. The WR style older fashioned safari clothes follow what is true and tried safari clothing styles. But would be far better in a tan colour, brown, a dark olive or forest green.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/12/23 06:36 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #380872 - 02/12/23 11:05 PM

and here is the right car

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: lancaster]
      #380875 - 03/12/23 05:01 AM

LOL - in what country is THAT a car? It would sure be great for shooting gophers.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #380877 - 03/12/23 07:25 AM

Quote:

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Dressing "outfit" for Africa - Not! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #380883 - 03/12/23 05:57 PM

good shot but now back to work!

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#380884 - 03/12/23 06:06 PM

The funny thing with clothing catalogues. One doesn't have to wear the whole advertised "outfit". I think the scarfs are aimed more at the females on safari.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #380887 - 03/12/23 08:01 PM

Quote:

good shot but now back to work!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2598

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com