Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger No. 1 450/400 3"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 450/400 3" [Re: DarylS]
      #366014 - 28/05/22 06:58 AM

Quote:

Same goes for the .17AH, .17 Hornady Hornet and .17 Ack. Bee.
About 80% of the time, with .17. Rem too.

Sorry this has nothing to do with the OP's Ruger.

I had a 17REM centerfire for a while.. was hell on wheels for varmints.. eventually sold it as it was finicky with barrel cleaning.. and the cleaning required different rods needed vs something like a 22-250..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #366037 - 29/05/22 12:42 AM

Not a problem for drift to shooting Gophers, it is part of the strong memory I have of the 20 years I lived in Montana. Besides this is my topic, and I started the drift.

This also brings back memories the thousand and I do mean many thousands of rounds I shot at gophers. The last year was a year of using the 17 Hornady Hornet. I had 1500 rounds of factory ammo I shoot up and then reload. I shot about half those reloads that year also.

I can tell you this. The most inherently accurate was the 17 Hornady Mach 2, the 17 made on the 22LR case. It was was limited to 100 yards because of the wind-they have wind in Montana.

The 17HMR worked very well at to 150 yards, very accurate, but not as accurate as the HM2. Shots on a calm day to 250 yards possible and still was a devastating killer at that range. I used it one time on prairie dogs. I never recovered one, all made it the hole. Plenty of blood and debris to indicate kills, even head shots. But they still got in the hole. No PD's recovered. Head shots only and easily done on Rock chucks and never a miss. Instant death

17 Hornady Hornet. I really like this cartridge. Not as accurate as the two rimfires. but very adequate. I built two of these guns on Martini actions. I made the mistake of loaning one to my wife to use. She is not an experienced shooter but did a spectacular job with this gun. She made a great shot on a rock chuck at 175-180 yards with this gun. I told her to aim at the nose of the straight on facing chuck. I told her she was going to hit below that in the chest. She thought she had missed at the shot. But I saw the chuck hump up at the shot and then saw blood running down the rock. Last time I saw this gun, it was in her gunsafe. I mentioned that my gun was in her safe and she responded to the effect only her guns were in her safe. Hmmm.

I got to shoot a few rounds of 17WSM when a friend brought his Savage rifle out in that caliber. It shot okay. My friend shot if for a while and put it away and got out his other Savage 17HMR. I never saw him shoot that gun again. I was considering doing up a Martini in that Cartridge but after that session I no longer was interested.

I am torn be between the 17HMR and the 17 HH as best cartridge for gophers. Generally ranges for them are well under 100 yards, but longer shots are available. The 17HH does have a touch more range. As far as accuracy, my BSA Francotte 1215's out shoots any other of the guns my friend brought out. Now there is one friend that is a better shooter than me. But in his case it is a better shooter not better gun. Might also be the reason he got a couple of Martini' for the gopher patch.

This is what you do while waiting for the orders to come in, sit around and BS.

When the Ruger and Leupold scope get here and I put them together I will bring this subject back on topic.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 450/400 3" [Re: DoubleD]
      #366038 - 29/05/22 01:04 AM

Quote:

Not a problem for drift to shooting Gophers, it is part of the strong memory I have of the 20 years I lived in Montana. Besides this is my topic, and I started the drift.

This also brings back memories the thousand and I do mean many thousands of rounds I shot at gophers. The last year was a year of using the 17 Hornady Hornet. I had 1500 rounds of factory ammo I shoot up and then reload. I shot about half those reloads that year also.

I can tell you this. The most inherently accurate was the 17 Hornady Mach 2, the 17 made on the 22LR case. It was was limited to 100 yards because of the wind-they have wind in Montana.

The 17HMR worked very well at to 150 yards, very accurate, but not as accurate as the HM2. Shots on a calm day to 250 yards possible and still was a devastating killer at that range. I used it one time on prairie dogs. I never recovered one, all made it the hole. Plenty of blood and debris to indicate kills, even head shots. But they still got in the hole. No PD's recovered. Head shots only and easily done on Rock chucks and never a miss. Instant death

17 Hornady Hornet. I really like this cartridge. Not as accurate as the two rimfires. but very adequate. I built two of these guns on Martini actions. I made the mistake of loaning one to my wife to use. She is not an experienced shooter but did a spectacular job with this gun. She made a great shot on a rock chuck at 175-180 yards with this gun. I told her to aim at the nose of the straight on facing chuck. I told her she was going to hit below that in the chest. She thought she had missed at the shot. But I saw the chuck hump up at the shot and then saw blood running down the rock. Last time I saw this gun, it was in her gunsafe. I mentioned that my gun was in her safe and she responded to the effect only her guns were in her safe. Hmmm.

I got to shoot a few rounds of 17WSM when a friend brought his Savage rifle out in that caliber. It shot okay. My friend shot if for a while and put it away and got out his other Savage 17HMR. I never saw him shoot that gun again. I was considering doing up a Martini in that Cartridge but after that session I no longer was interested.

I am torn be between the 17HMR and the 17 HH as best cartridge for gophers. Generally ranges for them are well under 100 yards, but longer shots are available. The 17HH does have a touch more range. As far as accuracy, my BSA Francotte 1215's out shoots any other of the guns my friend brought out. Now there is one friend that is a better shooter than me. But in his case it is a better shooter not better gun. Might also be the reason he got a couple of Martini' for the gopher patch.

This is what you do while waiting for the orders to come in, sit around and BS.

When the Ruger and Leupold scope get here and I put them together I will bring this subject back on topic.

Well, with it being Memorial Day weekend and all.. its raining here today.. a rain we are ALL very thankful for..its suppose to rain off and on for the next 4 days..hopefully that happens

Another Anschutz I have is in 22Win MAg..heavy target barrel on it..can consistently shoot p-dogs with it 150 tp 200 yrds no problem using the scope...Have not shot that in a very long time..BUT, got a call from a client who knows I like to shoot them.. Wants me to come over and clean up a little town which I plan to do in a couple weeks.. going to take my travel trailer over there and part right in the middle of the town..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Ruger No. 1 450/400 3" [Re: Ripp]
      #366047 - 29/05/22 02:59 AM

Generally speaking, we use our re-barreled, re-springed and re-stocked Ruger 10-22's with Yellow Jackets or WW Power Points on gophers to 100yards. Both of our Rugers shoot into 1/2" or a bit tighter at 50 yards. Both loads really work well on them.
Then, the HMR's from over 100 to 200, then the CF's out to 500yards plus.
My quad's front gun box holds 2 rifles in foam and one bungied on the rack behind my back.
With a short camp stool, the front gun box makes a good bench.
BR and bags in the rear box along with ammo.
We used to get between 1,500 and 2,500 gophers each, on the week long trip near end of April. Shooting was fast and furious for about 15 seasons", then dropped off on the 4 farms we shot up. We quite decimated the rodents. The last time out there, (Horse Fly B.C.) I shot just over 300. Missed 4 shots, all with the HMR. Some of the fields, buddy Len. didn't even get his rifle out of the gun box on the front of his quad. They were very few and far between. Waste of fuel, actually. Still had a good time. That was about 5 years ago, and with that regenerating reprieve, maybe it's "time" we go back for another shoot?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #366798 - 16/06/22 11:19 PM

Well the rifle has arrived and it is very nice, too nice.

Lots of surprises in the box. I did not pay premium for this rifle. I paid run of the mill Ruger No. 1 price. Way below normal price for a 450/400 3" 1H.

In the box was a 42 fired Hornady cases and 2 sealed boxes of Swift A frame .410- 400 Grain bullets.

Also in the bottom of the box was a packing slip from Ruger indicating the gun was recently shipped (26-APR-2022) from them after the barrel was replaced, the gun refinished, and stock replaced. Hummmm? I knew the stock had been replaced, but heard nothing about the barrel. Looking closely at the gun You can tell it was refinished. The packing slip also says, "repair, proofed, safety function check range test and cleaning has been completed. 1/2" group at 50 yards with Hornady 400 grain DGS"-copy of test target enclosed.

Serial number look up on this gun says made 2007.

While I am not concerned about the replaced barrel, I would like to know why it was replaced.

I called Swift looking for load data for their bullets, but they did not have any. The fellow I talked to said finding bullets right now would be hard, but they're out there. He told me finding brass right now will be near impossible. He said use the published data for reloading this cartridge.

He suggested look for 2150 to 2200 fps for best performance in this cartridge with their bullet. I wish I got his name he seemed knowledgeable and friendly.

Given the price I paid for rifle and getting $350 worth of brass and bullets in boot, I am happy.

Now to do some reloading.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Ruger No. 1 450/400 3" [Re: DoubleD]
      #366806 - 17/06/22 07:13 AM

Seems to me like you got a good deal. Well done.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3530

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com