Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Loc: United States
Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight
      #366711 - 14/06/22 03:55 AM

I have been unsuccessful in finding an aperture sight for my 1905MS. So, I decided to roll up my sleeves and try to make a bolt shroud aperture out of sight bits and pieces that I had in my shop.
I bought an extra bolt shroud from Sarco for a Greek Mannlicher. I had parts from a Lyman tang sight and spare aperture from a XS Ghost ring.
I cut the tangs off of the sight and flipped it so that the upright would be perpendicular. The sight was silver soldered to the bolt shroud. The upright was harder. The XS has a proprietary thread size so I could not find a tap. I used the decapping rod from an old Lee loader and drilled the center out. I silver soldered the XS sight dovetail to the top. This allows me to adjust vertical height by screwing up or down on the aperture.
After determining the proper height of the upright, it was soldered to the sight.
It was not easy soldering the upright without loosening the aperture attachment. In retrospect, it would have been easier if I would have had a peep aperture with a standard thread size. The upright could have been tapped to the thread count.
I plan on using some blue Loctite to maintain the aperture setting.
Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I was fortunate enough to have enough "stuff" at home to cobble this together.

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEB8UZ5

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEB8UZ6

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight [Re: fjrdoc]
      #366712 - 14/06/22 06:01 AM

That should give you complete satisfaction in both building and using. So much easier for me to use than open sights.

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight [Re: JDL]
      #366713 - 14/06/22 06:10 AM

Thanks JDL. All my rifles wear peep sights. This 1905MS has the original factory flip up rear sight. The notch on that sight is almost impossible to see even at the range let alone in the woods. I'm anxious to get some bullets and put some holes in paper.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #366714 - 14/06/22 06:54 AM

Looks pretty spiffy Fjrdoc!
Even the patina looks spot on.
Silly question, will your peep rotate sideways if you use your safety?
A good peep is hard to beat in the field, hope all your calcs work out & you're not too far off the mark initially.
Well done mate!

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight [Re: 93x64mm]
      #366715 - 14/06/22 07:22 AM

The peep will not rotate sideways because it's fixed to the bolt shroud. My 1903 has a vintage Lyman bolt shroud sight. I still think that the Lyman 36 is better because you have easier access to the safety, but I refuse to spend $500+ on one.......even if one was available. I think that the adjustment is pretty much spot on since all three sights are in alignment now. I was trying to get the patina to look vintage. I'm glad that you liked it.

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #366718 - 14/06/22 10:34 AM

fjrdoc, nice work and I like it. The finishing color looks good. I never liked the price I would need to pay for a Lyman 36 so I made 2 of them. ( Lyman 36 )

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight [Re: LRF]
      #366724 - 14/06/22 09:23 PM

Some years ago I posted about cocking piece peep sights, especially about my solution to the unavailability problem: My conversions of Parker – Hale smallbore target sights
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151111&an=0&page=2#Post151111
Here is one of my Ersatz P-H “Sportarget No.1” sights on my G.Gibbs Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1900 rifle.

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight [Re: kuduae]
      #366737 - 15/06/22 02:56 AM

LRF: Ive seen your thread on making a Lyman 36. I wish that I had a milling machine and the skill set to do that myself.
Kuduae: I also saw your post on making a bolt peep from a PH 16. I purchased a PH sportarget 10 tang sight off of Ebay. Unfortunately, the post was too tall to utilize on the Mannlicher. It would have been nice if it would have been able to be used. I really like the PH for simplicity of adjustment.

fjrdoc
.300 member

#368474 - 21/08/22 03:58 AM

Greeting fellow MS fans. I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 250 gr Hawk bullets for my 1905. In the meantime, I purchased some 200 gr monolithic Game-StopR bullets from Quality Cartridge. I loaded 46 gr of IMR4064 and headed to the range. The grouping wasn't bad but unfortunately, the original front sight is too low and almost impossible to see. I've been down this road with every rifle that I have installed peep sights on. I purchased a brass Partridge sight from Skinner Sights. I've used their steel sights in the past but I must admit that the brass is easier to modify the dovetail for fit. I think that the brass contrasts nicely with the rust blue. I also had some scrap sheet brass in the shop so fabbed up a rear sight dovetail blank.
The front sight is higher than needed but that can be adjusted by elevating the peep and/or filing the front sight. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to head to the range on Monday.

Edited by fjrdoc (21/08/22 04:09 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

#368475 - 21/08/22 05:49 AM

Looking forward to your range report jjrdoc!
The brass is certainly a contrast alright, you might have to blacken the front as out in sunlight it might get awful bright to look at!

fjrdoc
.300 member

#368507 - 22/08/22 03:14 AM

I did think about blackening the brass. It will naturally dull down in time but I figured I wait until I get the old girl zeroed in.

fjrdoc
.300 member

#368548 - 23/08/22 05:50 AM

I made it to the range today but I forgot to take along a file for the front sight. I got a 2 inch group at 50 yards but 6 inches low. I don't want to raise the aperture any more as I'm happy with how the sight picture comes up to my eye. I'm sure that I can improve the grouping once I start working on a ladder for the bullet and powder combo. Overall, I'm happy with how things are going.
I had my 1903 and my 1905 at the range today. My 1903 is a tack driver! A couple guys at the range stopped to take a look at the Mannlichers. Most people have no clue as to what a MS is. I enjoy educated those who want to learn.

93x64mm
.416 member

#368549 - 23/08/22 06:02 AM

Sounds like you had a great day regardless fjrdoc!
Once you get the load sorted then it will be easy to file down the sight the exact amount you need.
Found this years ago - rather helpful
Brownells sight height calculator
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13186
Never seen an MS in the flesh so to speak either, they are an unusual rifle in our neck of the woods

Hook
.224 member

Reged: 01/03/18
Loc: Heart of Dixie
      #368554 - 23/08/22 10:03 AM

fjrdoc, you've done a great job. I sure wish I could make a bolt peep like yours. And, if you're interested in my opinion, I would leave the brass as is and let it tarnish down to a dull finish. I think they, the rear blank and front post, would look cool! Enjoy!

fjrdoc
.300 member

Re: Homemade Bolt Shroud Aperture Sight [Re: Hook]
      #368555 - 23/08/22 10:07 AM

Thanks Hook. I'm lucky to have had the bits and pieces to be able to throw the peep together. I probably will leave the brass tarnish to a natural finish. I'm thinking that I may even make a brass rear sight blank for my 1903 when I have some spare time.

fjrdoc
.300 member

#368957 - 04/09/22 08:54 AM

I went to the range yesterday to test some loads in the 1905 MS. I sized some Hornady Interlock .358 250 grain spire point bullets to .354 and .355 diameter. All loads were with 48.0 grains of IMR4064. Looks like I have a winner. This 3 shot group was made at 50 yards with my peep sight using .355 diameter bullets. This old girl is going to be with me in the PA woods this year.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #368966 - 04/09/22 02:20 PM

Quote:

A couple guys at the range stopped to take a look at the Mannlichers. Most people have no clue as to what a MS is. I enjoy educated those who want to learn.

Well done.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #368984 - 05/09/22 08:50 AM

Quote:

This 3 shot group was made at 50 yards with my peep sight

Very nice!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2458

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com