Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun!
      #366589 - 11/06/22 03:24 AM

I like many here desire a Colt 1911 .45 ACP pistol. But since 2003 owning a handgun larger than .38 calibre has been very difficult. Many were handed in during the second firearm confiscation in 2003.

But larger than .38 can be approved for Metal silhouette target competition. The justification is the larger projectile is needed to knock down a metal target. I believe revolvers are usually used? Or other firearm types.

I was at a gunship this weekend Nd make an ad hoc enquiry. A salesman there, here in Adelaide is believe it or not from Pennsylvania! And he uses .45 ACP for Metal silhouette. So it is possible! No way to find out except by trying an application. And of course joining a new club and shooting a minimum of four competitions per year. Would be fun anyway.

So maybe a Colt 1911 .45 ACP is in my future? I was thinking .22 RF handgun next, but now choices?

Other than the Colt 1911 .45 ACP, what other choices do members recommend? Lots of .45 choices.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun! [Re: NitroX]
      #366597 - 11/06/22 05:42 AM

Mine started out as a 1911 in .38 Super. Shot that a bit, then came across a 3-book/magazine series on the .45 Auto. I installed a Wilson .45 Auto bl., new link, bushing, ported the slide as noted in one of the magazines, bought some 11 round mags. and had a blast.
Shot 2 "trouble" black bears with it while at work. They were chasing the night staff around a bit.
Shot 8 one fall.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun! [Re: DarylS]
      #366634 - 12/06/22 03:20 AM

What do people prefer? An original type Government 1911 .45 ACP? Or a more modern variation? Seven round or a ten round magazine? I know a 10 would be more useful. But 7 was the original.

I wonder if a .45 could still be used in Aussie IPSC? If justified by silhouette already?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#366642 - 12/06/22 08:32 AM

This one, made by Norinco, shoots very well. A friend of mine has the mil-spec model of this one and I used it in a Cowboy action shoot a few years ago. It shot very well indeed. Seems to me I won that event, iirc.
These are issued use 8 shot mags.
The military models were under $400.00 cdn.
https://marstar.ca/product/norinco-m-1911a1-sport-model-2/

--------------------
Daryl

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun! [Re: DarylS]
      #366644 - 12/06/22 09:41 AM

If I were buying a 45 for personal use and as a collectyible, I would buy a Colt 1911. They have never let me down. I have shot them since the 1960s. They are fun,nice looking, and easy carrying pistols.
I have 7 rd mags, easy to change mags.
I bought a friend a couple of 8 rd mags for his Goverment 1911. They work fine. I am not sure one extra round makes a difference if one practices alot and shoots accurately.
I don't like extended mags as they make the pistol somewhat awkard, are more difficult to carry, and are supposed to be not as reliable.
A dealer friend was selling 1911 models made in Turkey. They looked fine but don't know how well they would hold up.
I personally would not but a Chinese made 1911 (we buy too much from China) but if that is all that is available, I would buy that as it would be better than a rock.
Best success in getting a 1911,

--------------------
RB

Hunter4752001
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/10
Loc: Australia
Re: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun! [Re: 85lc]
      #366663 - 12/06/22 06:51 PM

G'day John. The 1911 should handle Field Pistol (Metallic Silhuoette 25, 50 75 & 100M) ok with a bit of elevation guestimation. The Big Bore version (out to 200M) would be a bit more challenging.

Depending on your State there are a number of other matches approved for greater than 38 cal: Classic, Wild Bunch, Service Match, etc.) Unfortunately it all depends on what your State authorities deem "approved". Good luck

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun! [Re: Hunter4752001]
      #366667 - 12/06/22 09:37 PM

I miss mine, I lost a nickel plated one with mother of pearl grips and a Glock 19 back in 2003.
Two years later after getting an enquiry from them why it wasn't handed in in informed them it was, sent a, stat Dec and certified copies of the paperwork and it was sort of sorted, but they have never told me despite several attempts to find out what actually happened to them.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: The impossible 1911 .45 ACP handgun! [Re: 260rem]
      #366668 - 12/06/22 09:49 PM

Quote:

I miss mine, I lost a nickel plated one with mother of pearl grips and a Glock 19 back in 2003.
Two years later after getting an enquiry from them why it wasn't handed in in informed them it was, sent a, stat Dec and certified copies of the paperwork and it was sort of sorted, but they have never told me despite several attempts to find out what actually happened to them.

Records are something that those guys are hopeless with!
I had a rifle, sold it to a mate whop then on sold it when he had an offer to good to refuse for it.
Apparently I still had had it, so I handed over the mates PTA side of things & the copper just shook his head - he wasn't impressed with them either!
In your case 260, don't be surprised if they went 'missing' alright!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#366682 - 13/06/22 04:36 PM

Quote:

If I were buying a 45 for personal use and as a collectyible, I would buy a Colt 1911. They have never let me down. I have shot them since the 1960s. They are fun,nice looking, and easy carrying pistols.
I bought a friend a couple of 8 rd mags for his Goverment 1911. They work fine. I am not sure one extra round makes a difference if one practices alot and shoots accurately.
I don't like extended mags as they make the pistol somewhat awkard, are more difficult to carry, and are supposed to be not as reliable.
A dealer friend was selling 1911 models made in Turkey. They looked fine but don't know how well they would hold up.
I personally would not but a Chinese made 1911 (we buy too much from China) but if that is all that is available, I would buy that as it would be better than a rock.

So a Colt Govt is still possible? I like the idea of the original. Though better sights like a three dot system might be appreciated. 7 or 8 round magazine. No big deal.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #366696 - 14/06/22 01:09 AM

As I get older, my eyesight isn't as good as it was when I was 20 so I like 3 dot sights. However, I bought a pair of graduated shooting glasses with the reading (close sight) on top of the right lens. Now the sights are clear. Still, 3 dot sights are easier to use compared to the original sights.

FYI: Vintage (WWI & WWII) Colts have pegged front sights whereas the later Colts have a milled slot that makes it easier to change the sights.

Also if you have beefy hands and/or grip the pistol high, you may want to but a beavertail grip (very easy to change) which will minimize 1911 bites on your hand web. I get those "bite marks" on the web between thumb and forefinger when I shoot an unmodified vintage 1911 or a Browning High Power.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

#366699 - 14/06/22 01:40 AM

Those pinches sting with a mil-spec 1911. I noticed that when I used the Norinco in the "Wild Bunch" competition.
Accurate gun, though.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #366710 - 14/06/22 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So a Colt Govt is still possible? I like the idea of the original. Though better sights like a three dot system might be appreciated. 7 or 8 round magazine. No big deal.

https://www.colt.com/series/TRADITIONAL_SERIES

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1777

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com