Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox
      #365489 - 16/05/22 02:20 AM

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/an-1884-holland-holland-8g-paradox-the-last-35-years/

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/HH-10g-Paradox-3720.jpg

April 20, 2016
An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox.

The Last 35 Years.
The recent auction at James Julia in USA featured amongst its many lots, a large collection of English guns and rifles of the 'large bore hammer variety'. Some of these hailed from the Nizam of Hyderabad's collection. These items raised my interest particularly, Hyderabad being one of the many armouries that my father, Walter Clode was responsible in successfully acquiring during his days trading in India. (which I might ass continue to this day, his last visit, in his 86th year, being in January 2016! ). Hyderabad was the largest and most significant collection he acquired during is days with WR and was a deal completed in conjunction with Malcolm Lyell of Holland & Holland who helped finance it.

By Simon Clode

Last week a huge crate containing many of the Antique guns from this auction arrived at the factory and it was suggested I photograph them 'whilst we had the opportunity' and before they were delivered to the client who was away hunting at present. 'They will make good material for the blog' I was told, whilst at the same time I was openly asking for help to do just that!

Besides being an interesting collection of rifles what aroused my interest was all the paperwork that came with the individual guns, old invoices and letters from the makers regarding the history. There is often talk when dealing guns about the investment value of certain items and here we have some physical evidence.

In my opinion the market is in a low period at the moment, a buyers market for sure. As such I believe that many of the guns which passed through Julia did not get as much as I expected. As with any auction some exceptional pieces did very well but the bulk were just so so. This has always been a strong consideration of mine when advising people about auction houses, they are not on the whole a good place to sell guns, quick perhaps also efficient, but it is the volume commission they are after, not the individual sellers best interest.

The 8g Holland & Holland Paradox was made for Nizam of Hyderabad in 1893 and from there the history is a bit murky. The letter below to a US resident in 1966 seems to put the Paradox in USA before the main armoury in Hyderabad was obtained. It could have been the Nizam didn't like it and it was returned or he disposed of in an earlier deal, after Partition and the handing in of guns to the police lines when the Maharajah's effectively lost their direct power.

We do know the owner who consigned the Paradox to auction paid $4250.00 for it, I will assume that that was probably in the same year David Winks gave him the history which was 1981. So 35 years later and with the additional cost of the restoration and Huey case the rifle achieved a price of $23,000 and I think the buyer got great value, here is provenance, make, scarcity, all the things you look for. The whole only let down by the non original Huey case.

I think we will each draw our own conclusion from these details, if we spent $4250 on a car in 1981 it would have perhaps been gone and replaced now many times, an S coupe Mustang would have cost you $5250 and unless you covered it up and kept it pristine who knows what that would be worth.

Hopefully this firearm as well as the others he had gave him much pleasure during his life and for sure his investment returned a hell of a lot more than all this electronic junk we surround ourselves with today!
For actual information about Paradox guns there is a book, one I am afraid I have never been able to tackle!

Paradox - The Story of Colonel G.V. Fosbery, Holland & Holland and The Paradox Rifled Shot and Ball Gun. Hardcover – 2010
by David J. Baker and Roger E. Lake (Author)

By Simon Clode

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox [Re: NitroX]
      #365490 - 16/05/22 06:27 AM

What a rifle to get for $23K!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox [Re: 93x64mm]
      #365497 - 16/05/22 02:56 PM

The image is undoutably too big to display, but who wouldn't want these two?

https://www.westleyrichards.com/explora/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/HH-10g-Paradox-3720.jpg

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #365504 - 16/05/22 11:24 PM

The stuff of dreams........

CHIP
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/07
Loc: TUCSON, AZ
      #366329 - 05/06/22 01:55 AM

Very interesting. Referring to the letter dated June 4, 1981, David Winks mentions H & H No. 8862. This rifle is in my collection. It is a Jones Under Lever 8 Bore Rifle. It came up for auction several years ago at Julia & Sons, and I was the successful bidder. It took me the better part of 2 years to collect all the reloading implements, cleaning equipment, and custom cases. It is the crown jewel of my collection. Cheers. Chip.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox [Re: CHIP]
      #366337 - 05/06/22 04:58 AM

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #366338 - 05/06/22 05:52 AM

Quote:

Very interesting. Referring to the letter dated June 4, 1981, David Winks mentions H & H No. 8862. This rifle is in my collection. It is a Jones Under Lever 8 Bore Rifle. It came up for auction several years ago at Julia & Sons, and I was the successful bidder. It took me the better part of 2 years to collect all the reloading implements, cleaning equipment, and custom cases. It is the crown jewel of my collection. Cheers. Chip.

Do you ever get it out to shoot?
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

CHIP
.224 member

Re: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox [Re: 3DogMike]
      #366339 - 05/06/22 06:41 AM

Hi, Mike. Yes, do get out to shoot this 8 Bore, although, I have not hunted with it. The brass was custom made by the Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co., LLC. The bullet molds and vintage reloading equipment was made by John Millar of Canada. The spherical balls weigh in at about 920 grains, which makes this a little larger than an exact 8 Bore. The modern die set was made by CH4D. A full set of photos is posted on the Accurate Reloading forum under the Double Rifle subject heading. I will try to post the link here so you can see the set up. Chip.

P.S. I possess the original letter from Holland & Holland which was dated June 4, 1981.

CHIP
.224 member

#366340 - 05/06/22 06:59 AM

This link should show photos of Holland & Holland S/N 8862.

/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/9021039452]http://forums.[blank]/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/9021039452

Well, I see that didn't work.....I'll have to try something else.

Edited by CHIP (05/06/22 07:01 AM)

CHIP
.224 member

#366341 - 05/06/22 07:09 AM

Let's try this:

http://forums.[blank]/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/902103952

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #366342 - 05/06/22 07:29 AM

Hello CHIP,
Very good, another true 8 bore shooter!
Mine is a G.E. Lewis fully rifled double from circa 1879, hammers & Jones underlever.
I too got my 8 bore cases from Rocky Mountain and dies from ch4D. Twist is about 1:90 and .855” groove to groove shooting 10 Drams and an .860” round ball.
No case, so I’ve never pursued getting all the period correct tools.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

8borerifle
.275 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Ohio,USA
Re: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox [Re: 3DogMike]
      #368000 - 29/07/22 12:31 AM

A friend of mine Chuck Swinehart owned the big bore double rifle collection sold in the James Julia Auction. He had his collection in a vault in his basement. Walking into that vault was an amazing experience. Over 40 double rifles, almost all Hollands and big bores and tons of accessories. He had the first 700 H&H double rifle built, but that is another story. I think he and Bill Fellstine both ordered one. He lived in Warren Ohio on a horse farm. Sold the collection because of health reasons. He passed away a few years ago.

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: An 1884 Holland & Holland 8g Paradox [Re: 8borerifle]
      #368012 - 29/07/22 08:33 AM

I just wish these old guns could talk , what adventures they would tell us. I hope the new owners will get out and make some new adventures with them (and write them down, put them under the recoil pad).
Robert

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3128

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com