Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Early Lancaster Slide & Tilt 14G BP Shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
CharlesHunter
.224 member

Reged: 20/09/21
Loc: South Australia
Early Lancaster Slide & Tilt 14G BP Shotgun
      #365446 - 12/05/22 09:11 PM

Just purchased an early Charles Lancaster Slide and Tilt 14G shotgun. Based on the serial number and looking at others shown on line I am estimating it was made around 1860. The face of the receiver has been bushed so it may be a conversion from Lancasters Base Fire cartridge system. Condition is fair but will most likely clean up to a "shooter" after some sympathetic restoration (barrels have been cold blued and show previous rust clean up) but lock up tight and "ring like a bell" when gently stuck indicating no loose ribs. Bores are bright with very minimal and shallow pitting (outside of bbl not so good). The stock still has original finish and the checkering is mostly worn smooth but "should" clean up. The forend needs the most attention. The engraving is reasonable for most of the receiver but some areas have been impacted by rust.

Would anyone have a picture of the barrels showing the locking bites/lumps. I suspect a small part is missing from the forward barrel lug where it should fit the forend. There is a small button/Pin on the forend iron facing the breech and the forward barrel lug shows some solder on the barrels where a small block (Missing ?) with a matching hole would meet the button of the forend iron. The forend is held on with a wedge but it appears the "Button" adds some extra support/strength. This small barrel/forend lug may have come adrift when the forehead was perhaps forcibly removed. As soon as I can work out how to post pictures I will, however the gun is in pieces currently being cleaned of many, many years of storage gunk. I suspect the metal work has not been separated from the stock since it was first put together (a very positive thing in my eyes).

Any pictures/serial # or dates for Lancaster shotguns would also be welcome just to see if I can get a clearer picture of possible manufacture date.
Cheers Steve Adelaide South Australia.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 795

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com