Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2022 Red Deer Roar

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
2022 Red Deer Roar
      #364786 - 21/04/22 08:55 PM

Well its that time of year again, and my thoughts were drifting back to the Cressbrook Valley, and the possibility of another crack at the stags during the red deer "roar".
A visit to my Mum'n'Dad in Brizzy was also well overdue on account of covid restrictions during the past year, so we fired up the campervan and made the long trip from the Top End to Queensland's south-east corner, pulling up at the wife's neice's farm for a couple of nights in the bush before hitting the big smoke.

I was relieved to hear a stag roaring high above the creek flats on the neighbor's place as we set up camp, and a few faint moans drifted down the valley from the mountains to the west. In recent years I had been forced by circumstance to hunt too early before the roar really got underway, but this year I hoped to be in the thick of it. Well, that was only the plan! With no cold snap yet, the roar would likely still be a bit "hit and miss".

Dense scrub along the creekline had provided me with several opportunities in the past, so that was a logical starting point for my hunt. Unfortunately the cattle had been using the area heavily and I kept bumping into them, making stalking difficult, so the decision was made to head uphill. Although no stags were roaring on my side of the main ridge, I crept up and down the spurlines, stopping to glass and listen every few steps until well after sundown, eventually staggering into camp right on dark. All I had to show for my efforts was a couple of encouraging rub-trees, proving hard-antler stags had been in the area recently, but no animals were sighted.

More a thrash-tree than a rub-tree!

Rub-tree with a view.

Undeterred by the previous day's lack-lustre results, I was back on the hill at first light heading for the divide. Hopefully a stag or two would give away their positions in the lantana-choked gullies and steep slopes of the northern break. By mid-morning however, not a single stag had vocalised and the day was quickly warming up. My chances of stumbling on a stag bedded down for the day were pretty slim in such close country, and I'm way too impatient to sit on a high rock for hours with binos glued to my face (...although I well-know that is the percentage game), so I decided to use the hot weather to my advantage and sneak in on a distant spring that had been wallowed extensively in past years.

With a kilometre or so still to go I was elated to hear a stag roar in the general direction I was headed. The wind was not cooperating however, being difficult to predict in the steeply undulating country, so I skirted wide and came to the conclusion there were two stags roaring, and one was on the move towards the other. Praying for cooperative wind, I judiciously followed!

Before long the wallows came into view. They were recently used but no deer were visible. The stags had been silent for a while now, so I presumed an errant breeze had given me away and they had long gone. Creeping past the wallows, I cautiously scaled a steep embankment and poked my head around a large lantana bush, coming face-to-face with a big dark-coloured stag! In the split-second it took me to confirm the presence of top-tines, I had closed the bolt on the Ruger RSI and aligned the crosshairs on the base of his neck, stroking the trigger without hesitation just as he began to recognize the danger.

The 150gr Sierra dropped him instantly, but a flailing hoof and then part of an antler appearing above the grass had me working the bolt and keeping the scope aligned in case the off-hand shot was less than perfect and he tried to get up. I needn't have worried: within a few seconds he was quite dead.

Then the strangest thing happened!

As I stood covering the downed stag, I was shocked by a tremendous roar emanating from the adjacent gully just beyond the wallows! Next instant, a big-bodied 8-point stag with heavy main-beams marched up onto the rise not 25 metres from me! This is less than 30 seconds after the thunder-clap of the .308 echoed off the surrounding hills, followed by the clatter of my hasty reload!

Unbelievable!

I stood stock-still as he roared again and then trotted over to look at the downed stag, the whole time covered by my rifle-sights. Had I wanted him, all I had to do was tighten my squeeze on the trigger. Then he seemed to get the smell of blood, or perhaps my scent, and cantered off with head held high. What a magnificent sight!
Knowing I had all the venison I could carry (and then some!) I left him unmolested to grow a few more tines for next time.
That stag has no idea how lucky he is: on many previous hunts I would have taken him in a heartbeat!

But its not over yet!

I had knelt down to prop up the magnificent 11-point head for a couple of posed photos with the self-timer, and upon standing up I was startled by a loud snort behind me! A young spiker stag was standing not 20 metres away, having presumably crept up on me out of curiosity, but he tore off down the slope when I made eye contact.

What an amazing morning in the hills! Love this stuff!

Of course, then the hard work starts: boning-out the hind-quarters and removing the backstraps, tenderloins, and blades (this time intact!) followed by the head. Then the really hard work starts: packing it all out over the range and down to camp. Man! ...the older I get, it seems the less I appreciate my fitness limitations! My knees may never be the same! Still, can't wait to do it all again next year.

Many might consider driving three and a half thousand kilometres to fire only one shot, then driving three and a half thousand kilometres back again, a little hard to justify. Even though I love my shooting, I still find that to be immensely satisfying.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: Marrakai]
      #364787 - 21/04/22 08:56 PM

I feel compelled to add that these Queensland reds are nothing like the monstrous mutant stags we are seeing more and more in other parts of Australia, and in New Zealand's safari industry. While no-doubt spectacular, those huge cauliflower antlers are the result of relatively recent introductions with wapiti and eastern European genetics, selected for maximum velvet production during the height of the deer-farming bubble.

By contrast the Cressbrook Valley stags are known as "the Heritage Herd", being direct decendants of the original liberations on Cressbrook Station in 1873 (2 stags and 4 hinds) and 1874 (a further 9 animals?). They were selected from the grounds of Queen Victoria's private estate at Windsor Castle and are sometimes referred to as "Windsor stags", being gifted to the colony of Queensland by the Queen herself as a token of her appreciation for naming the colony after her.

Throughout the area, a heavy 4x4 is a typical mature stag and 10-pointers or above are highly prized locally. In a symetrical head, a twelve-point "Royal" is about as good as it gets in the pure-strain Windsor blood-line, as depicted by Edwin Landseer's famous 1851 painting "The Monarch of the Glen". Although not the most massive antlers I have been privileged to collect so far, I regard that 11-pointer from this year's hunt as my personal best, and I am absolutely stoked! Won't stop me dreaming about closing the bolt on a 6x6 Royal one day though...

--------------------
Marrakai

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #364788 - 21/04/22 09:13 PM

Waidmannsheil Tony.

Well done. Enjoyed your story and photos. As for all stags chasing you, stop dousing yourself with hind scent!

Nice honest eleven point stag. Wild is always superior to pen raised. Those huge safari heads are the result of heavy feeding and doused with vitamins and supplements galore.

You will enjoy that red deer venison as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: NitroX]
      #364792 - 21/04/22 11:30 PM

Congrats Tony !!!!!!!!!!! Great story and all wild and on your own.
Well done,
Robert

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #364793 - 22/04/22 01:37 AM

Very well done Tony; congratulations on your incredible hunting, very good photos and excellent report!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: Louis]
      #364794 - 22/04/22 02:40 AM

Great story and congratulations, Tony. Well done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #364803 - 22/04/22 09:42 AM

Quote:

Waidmannsheil Tony.

Well done. Enjoyed your story and photos. As for all stags chasing you, stop dousing yourself with hind scent!

Nice honest eleven point stag. Wild is always superior to pen raised. Those huge safari heads are the result of heavy feeding and doused with vitamins and supplements galore.

You will enjoy that red deer venison as well.

Agree with all of the above.. love the story..

You reminded me of a bow hunt I had with elk.. had downed a nice smaller 6pt bull.. while I was gutting him out had 2 other bulls come in .. SUCH an awesome experience.. have to experience it to know it..

Congrats again..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: Ripp]
      #364806 - 22/04/22 12:55 PM

My buddy Len bugled in 5 grizzlies at the same time, mind you 3 were a sow with 2 cubs. The other 2 were boars. He and other buddy Dave were bow hunting. They were sitting on their tree stands attached, with feet on the ground, their long bows on their laps.
It was a tense encounter.
They stopped bow hunting elk that day.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: DarylS]
      #364811 - 22/04/22 03:12 PM

Skull or skull cap mount? Or shoulder mount?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
      #364819 - 22/04/22 05:08 PM

Nice head, good to see they are still going, I haven't been able to get out yet but hopefully they are still at it next week.
I haven't hunted that area for close to 20 years now, I always like that part of the country.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: 260rem]
      #364820 - 22/04/22 08:18 PM

Great hunt report and a lovely stag!

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: bouldersmith]
      #364913 - 26/04/22 03:17 PM

Appreciate your comments all.
Hope those of you in red deer country waiting for the cooler weather are getting amongst it by now.

Researching a bit of background on red deer introductions in Queensland I found that the original animals were documented as a gift from Queen Victoria to provide "… additional food and sport" for the people of the state.
The commemorative bronze plaque on the monument erected in Toogoolawah, only 8km SW of the original release site, is inscribed: "To The People of Queensland For Their Recreational Use."

Happy to comply!

--------------------
Marrakai

Louis
.375 member

#364925 - 26/04/22 07:22 PM

Much informative post; I was under the impression before reading it that only sika deer were to be found in Australia.
And congratulations again on your impressive 11-pointer!
Louis

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #364926 - 26/04/22 07:30 PM

Well done Tony, great animal and very interesting post. Looking forward to seeing it mounted.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #364927 - 26/04/22 07:32 PM

Louis, we have six species of deer in Australia:

Hog deer
Chittal deer
Fallow Deer
Red deer
Rusa Deer
Sambar deer.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 2022 Red Deer Roar [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #364929 - 26/04/22 09:12 PM

Quote:

Louis, we have six species of deer in Australia:

Hog deer
Chital deer
Fallow Deer
Red deer
Rusa Deer
Sambar deer.

Matt.

In my opinion, Australia is the best place to legally hunt wild hog deer and sambar deer.

Add in NZ and you can add sika and whitetail. Wapiti/elk are pretty much behind wire now. Moose was for a short period present.

Oops! We also have wild free ranging wapiti in Australia.

Your French comrades, Louis, have excellent Javan rusa in New Caledonia.

Huge herds of Moluccan rusa in New Guinea.

Come and visit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#364939 - 27/04/22 02:26 AM

You had moose in Australia & have free ranging elk?

--------------------
Daryl

Louis
.375 member

#364971 - 27/04/22 06:39 PM

Thank you Matt and Nitrox; Oz is really a true hunter's paradise and it's a shame it is such far away from western Europe!
Yes, I can recall of huge herds of farmed deer in New Caledonia as well as of abundant wild ones roaming the mountains.
It would be interesting knowing more about the moose introduction test; it was my understanding that moose were cold-country animals?
Louis

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#364973 - 27/04/22 08:39 PM

Daryl,

No moose in Australia.

There were and are wapiti/elk in South Australia. If they haven't been shot out since. I missed on getting to hunt them by a week ... In that the farmer and wife decided no more new hunters a week before when I asked. They may still be there if not shot out. A herd from 60 to several hundred.

Louis,

Moose were introduced to Fiordland. In SW South Island. If any were found today, you would be famous. Maybe a hundred years ago? Last in the 1950s I think.

Elk/wapiti existed in good numbers also in Fiordland. A couple or so decades ago the Kiwi govt decided to save them. By catching them all. Putting them on large deer farms. For safe keeping until .... Never left the farms.

In the wild some may still exist. Probably cross bred with red deer.

Fiordland is both a challenging and rewarding place to hunt. One could apply for a permit/draw to hunt there for a period of time and block. Dropped off by chopper with your supplies for two weeks. Possibly in a tent rained in for two weeks!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (29/04/22 08:44 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#364974 - 27/04/22 08:57 PM

The elk are in SE South Australia. Rich green farm lands. But how wonderful if they were in the rocky rough Flinders Ranges. Too arid?

Red deer were in SE SA in the 1920s died out. Deer farm escapees last 30 years back again. Yay!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#364981 - 28/04/22 02:28 AM

Tks. for the update.

--------------------
Daryl

Louis
.375 member

#365040 - 29/04/22 06:56 PM

Thank you for the moose update.
Louis

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2505

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com