Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lion pride trying to take 5 buffalo calves from a herd

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Lion pride trying to take 5 buffalo calves from a herd
      #364683 - 17/04/22 05:58 AM

https://fb.watch/cqSmy7v9C0/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Lion pride trying to take 5 buffalo calves from a herd [Re: NitroX]
      #364688 - 17/04/22 03:30 PM

Fascinating film. Thanks for posting!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lion pride trying to take 5 buffalo calves from a herd [Re: Huvius]
      #364693 - 17/04/22 04:45 PM

First calf taken at the top of the ridge where the herd initially came from. Might be a make lion holding that one?

The lionesses are very game letting the herd come very close until running. Choking the calves until they have to run. They keep at it though. Obviously used to hunting buffalo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#364694 - 17/04/22 04:47 PM

Reading a lot of comments on the original video page is depressing ... How many ignorant people there are and sheer stupidity.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #364711 - 17/04/22 11:20 PM

Magnificent Buffalo herd, lions, scenery - everything. The opening scene is especially beautiful.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Lion pride trying to take 5 buffalo calves from a herd [Re: mckinney]
      #364721 - 18/04/22 05:07 AM

I know I have told this story before..but..one morning hunting in Zim with Ian Gibson..we got out of the vehicle and had walked a short distance when we heard a very loud growl very close to us..We were headed to a blind we had set up for lion ..so ..we circled out making a detour to the blind..on our way back we took the original route to see what had made the noise..2 lioness had taken down a cow buffalo within 60 yards of us in the dark...cow was laying there disembowled.

Really cool experience...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Lion pride trying to take 5 buffalo calves from a herd [Re: Ripp]
      #364726 - 18/04/22 04:29 PM

Yes it would be a cool experience. Hunting Lion, tripping in them at close range! Fantastic.

The closest I have been was ac"bad" lion half circle our unarmed camp in the Maasai Mara. He came from the East and circled our camp to go to the north west. The lionesses had made a kill maybe 800 metres away on a slight hill above us. As the "bad" lion circled just outside of fire and torch light, the weaker torches of the day, He grunted with each step of one of his front legs.

He was a "bad" lion as because treed one of the cooks for most of a day. Hungrily looking at him and trying to get him from below.

Some of the young ladies in the camp were frightened. I found it exciting and pure Africa. A grunting lion circling our camp. Lions roaring on the hill nearby throughout the night!

In this camp we had no vehicle at the time. Our minibus had had flat tyres. They used to borrow tyres from other your operators. Then the bus broke down. Another wascsent for. It had to ferry us in two or three groups. So when the lion circled all we had was a fire. No tents. No vehicle to shelter in. Good stuff.

No armed guard. We did have a Maasai guard with a spear. It was a rule when going to the toilet shed a couple of hundred metres away he had to be taken with. So we used to go in groups to save him walking continually.

I had a chat with him, he didn't speak much English. I asked him how close he had been to a lion, "This close", he says pointing to the tip of his spear! It was true, he had been hired after killing a lion with his spear attacking a child in his village. Reported in newspapers, it earned him a job as a camp guard. Of course Maasai hunt lions in groups. Lions are said to be frightened of the Maasai.

One of the advantages of these cheap and nasty tours is rawer experiences. Instead of 5 star luxury, swimming pools we got a Maasai with a spear and being temporarily stranded in the Mara.

This time was during the migration. The best places for viewing like the Mara River crossings are reserved for hordes of film crews. But we did see some. On the last day we did see a really lovely full maned WILD lion walking on the open grass plain down a hill, pass us and off. By himself. Fantastic. I should have slides somewhere. Hundreds of them.

The first morning in camp at dawn we visited the lion oride who were hiding in a thorn thicket. Resting after roaring and feasting over night. Lionesses and cubs seen. Hyaenas lurking nearby.

Funny the night before the staff were happy to sleep in tents. Even with lions present. In Ambroselli they would not sleep in tents and slept in the bus. The difference between lions coming possibly into camp versus elephants that DID come into camp every night, searching for food.

The Maasai guard looking towards the hill and lions roaring :

" SIMBA SINGS !!! "

Fantastic drama.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#364728 - 18/04/22 04:39 PM

The video above is quite good. At first a herd of buffalo running. Then wondered why? Oh they are running to water? No lions, other lions sitting tongue side in an ambush. A lioness takes a calf. Choking it.

Why is the idiot camera tourist panning to the ridge? Oh there is a lion holding a calf there as well.

The herd chased the lioness off in the water.

Later three lionesses have three calves down. They get chased away. At least one calf doesn't get up. The very effective pride gets a couple of feeds.

Also why fake Buffalo are tough. To survive they have had to be tough.

Good video.

The comments of it, many reflect the sheer stupidity of modern mankind ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 860

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com