Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "White Hunters" by Brian Herne

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"White Hunters" by Brian Herne
      #364513 - 11/04/22 07:31 PM

Currently listening to "White Hunters" by Brian Herne. Needing a bit of escapism, listening to it for the umpteenth time. I have the book as well, read it before buying an audio book.

I was born 100 years too late.

https://www.audible.com.au/pd/White-Hunt...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

East Africa affects our imagination like few other places: The sight of a charging rhino goes directly to the heart; the limitless landscape of bony highlands, desert, and mountain is, as Isak Dinesen wrote, of unequalled nobility. White Hunters is the story of seventy years of African adventure, danger, and romance. It re-creates the legary big-game safaris led by Selous and Bell and the daring ventures of early hunters into unexplored territories, and brings to life such romantic figures as Cape-to-Cairo Grogan, who walked 4,000 miles for the love of a woman, and Dinesen's dashing lover, Denys Finch. Witnesses to the richest wildlife spectacle on the earth, these hunters were the first conservationists. Hard-drinking, infatuated with risk, and careless in love, they inspired Hemingway's stories and movies with Clark Gable and Gregory Peck.

Review

"An authoritative and colorful study of African safaris that will appeal to armchair adventurers and history buffs alike." --The Wall Street Journal

". . . a rich portrait of a magnificent landscape, its animal inhabitants and some of its most reckless human interlopers." --Publishers Weekly

". . . provides invaluable documentation of a period that might otherwise have been consigned to oblivion, and does so with great style . . ." --Raleigh News and Observer

About the Author

Brian Herne, formerly a professional hunter, founded the international professional hunters' magazine Track, and has written for numerous magazines, including Outdoor Life, Petersen's Hunting, Safari Times, and African Life. He lives in San Diego, California.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (11/04/22 07:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "White Hunters" by Brian Herne [Re: NitroX]
      #364514 - 11/04/22 07:55 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, the period of 1880 to 1914 is the golden age of early African sporting hunting. And also individual fortune seeking ivory hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #364519 - 11/04/22 11:51 PM

“I was born a 100 years too late”
Amen !!!!!!!!!
Robert

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #364526 - 12/04/22 02:32 AM

Quote:

Currently listening to "White Hunters" by Brian Herne. Needing a bit of escapism, listening to it for the umpteenth time. I have the book as well, read it before buying an audio book.

https://www.audible.com.au/pd/White-Hunt...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

East Africa affects our imagination like few other places: The sight of a charging rhino goes directly to the heart; the limitless landscape of bony highlands, desert, and mountain is, as Isak Dinesen wrote, of unequalled nobility. White Hunters is the story of seventy years of African adventure, danger, and romance. It re-creates the legary big-game safaris led by Selous and Bell and the daring ventures of early hunters into unexplored territories, and brings to life such romantic figures as Cape-to-Cairo Grogan, who walked 4,000 miles for the love of a woman, and Dinesen's dashing lover, Denys Finch. Witnesses to the richest wildlife spectacle on the earth, these hunters were the first conservationists. Hard-drinking, infatuated with risk, and careless in love, they inspired Hemingway's stories and movies with Clark Gable and Gregory Peck.

Review

"An authoritative and colorful study of African safaris that will appeal to armchair adventurers and history buffs alike." --The Wall Street Journal

". . . a rich portrait of a magnificent landscape, its animal inhabitants and some of its most reckless human interlopers." --Publishers Weekly

". . . provides invaluable documentation of a period that might otherwise have been consigned to oblivion, and does so with great style . . ." --Raleigh News and Observer

About the Author

Brian Herne, formerly a professional hunter, founded the international professional hunters' magazine Track, and has written for numerous magazines, including Outdoor Life, Petersen's Hunting, Safari Times, and African Life. He lives in San Diego, California.

I have that book hidden away somewhere.. back when I was doing a lot of reading on Africa..
JA HUNTER was another series I really enjoyed..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "White Hunters" by Brian Herne [Re: Ripp]
      #364540 - 13/04/22 12:36 AM

It's a great read and listen. Into the motor vehicle years it lessens. The best years were the foot safaris and hunting explorers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #364541 - 13/04/22 01:09 AM

Quote:

It's a great read and listen. Into the motor vehicle years it lessens. The best years were the foot safaris and hunting explorers.

That's what I enjoyed on the JA Hunter series.. all on foot..he did work for the local fish and game department if I remember correctly...

It would have been an awesome lifestyle.. I am certain it has its share of issues and complications..but to live in a time where you could harvest endless numbers of elephant and rhino for the game departments would have been unreal..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "White Hunters" by Brian Herne [Re: Ripp]
      #364674 - 17/04/22 02:24 AM

Finished it. Need to return to some bits for discussion.

Very enjoyable. But upsetting to my satisfaction ie dissatisfaction of my normal lifestyle.

Of course the blacks have thoroughly fucked up Africa since ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1183

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com