Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elephant hunting in Zimbabwe.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: Elephant hunting in Zimbabwe. [Re: EricD]
      #53667 - 30/03/06 01:15 PM

Mark and Erik,
You are both on the money. There are such great things to do and to see that would make the hunt incredible.

And sometimes just staying in camp for a day and talking to people is so great. Last time in Africa I took a ball to camp and organized a soccer game. I will remember that as much as killing a big bull elephant and stalking a kudu with my bow.

Sometimes we could just try to hunt a little differently, without only the pressure to put an animal on the ground.

As an example, one of the times I was in Zimbabwe, there was a hunter in my camp who went to the hills in Chewore with a old hunter gatherer tribesman from the Vadoma people. That was certainly not one of the best areas of the concession, but they climbed those mountains and fly camped way up there, all with this man as guide showing them how to survive with just a knive, how to find water, etc, etc. He said it was an experience they will never forget.

Today people like Chuck Adams teach one to hunt his guts out always looking only for the best "trophy" producing area, like we were machinces trying to break records of efficiency.

What we need is to hunt slowly to travel slowly, to have time talk. Softly.

Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
markhyoung
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Cody, WY, USA
Re: Elephant hunting in Zimbabwe. [Re: DDouble]
      #53765 - 01/04/06 04:42 AM

Dante

I wholeheartedly agree. Safari is so much more than just the accumulation of trophies at safari's end. One of the reasons that I recommend Masailand so highly is because of the Masai people. Folks tell me they don't want to hunt around a bunch of people but the Masia are an integral part of the Masailand experience and one would miss a great deal without that opportunity to interact with them.

The last few times we have gone to Africa we have had the good fortune to be able to drive all over. Some of this was long and tedious but we got to see another side of Africa seperate from the hunting. Hitting the wide places in the road for gas and supplies off the tourist routes to me is an invaluable experience that people too often do not take advantage of.

We offer a hunt in Mahenge on the border of the Selous. Folks can either charter down from Dar Es Salaam or drive. In both cases it kills a day and you can't really hunt so why not drive? Interestingly everybody wants to fly eventhough it is twice as expensive.

That expression about "Taking time to smell the roses" applies in triplicate to safari and I think anyone not taking even a day or two away from the hunting to do something else is doing themselves a disservice.

Regards,

Mark

--------------------
Mark H. Young
ADAM CLEMENTS SAFARI TRACKERS INC.
WORLDWIDE BIG GAME, WINGSHOOTING AND PHOTO SAFARIS
www.safaritrackers.com
Office 1-307-587-6372
FAX 1-307-587-3385

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Elephant hunting in Zimbabwe. [Re: markhyoung]
      #53766 - 01/04/06 06:37 AM

markhyoung
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Cody, WY, USA
Re: Elephant hunting in Zimbabwe. [Re: EricD]
      #53818 - 02/04/06 02:58 AM

Erik

I'll suggest it to our photo/tour people at Tanganyika Trekkers. Even the area below Lingai is really neat. W e shot white bearded wildebeest and Tommies on the lake shore. My trophy pics with those animals show the volcano in the background. Very cool area!

Mark

--------------------
Mark H. Young
ADAM CLEMENTS SAFARI TRACKERS INC.
WORLDWIDE BIG GAME, WINGSHOOTING AND PHOTO SAFARIS
www.safaritrackers.com
Office 1-307-587-6372
FAX 1-307-587-3385

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 7219

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com