Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ?
      #364236 - 03/04/22 02:52 AM

Hello All,

I recently purchased these two rifles from an Ohio Auction House. Very high quality, but maker is unknown. There were 7 similar rifles at that auction. Auction house tags were marked "NB" which I assume are the initials of the consignor who owned the rifles. All the rifle's descriptions mentioned gabon ebony, reinforced stocks, Breako recoil reducers, Timney Triggers, and NECG sites and fixtures. These 2 rifles and 2 others were built on P17 platforms, the others were built on commercial Remington actions. Both of these rifles have large forward mounted recoil blocks attached to the bottom of the barrel. The blocks and the rest of the actions are totally glass bedded with a grey bedding material. Again, very professional with not a single bubble in the bedding. Both these rifles remain in NEW condition with sight leaves still un-cut.

With these two rifles being of such high quality, I was surprised to not find any indication of the maker, either on the metal or the wood. When removed from the stock, the bottoms of the barrels and the actions were marked with matching serial numbers to insure they mated correctly and not mixed with other rifles being built. This would indicate to me some type of professional builder where several rifles were being built at the same time - rather than one-off work. It a shame that such high quality work would go unidentified, not giving credit to the builder.

If you have an opinion as to who built these rifles, please comment.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ? [Re: buckstix]
      #364239 - 03/04/22 06:37 AM

Project rifles perhaps from an up & coming young gunsmith?
The stock design on the 470 is far better thought out but You have to admire the work overall it is very good indeed - all very good hunting rifles!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #364245 - 03/04/22 12:08 PM

Oh yes - those are very nicely done & MOST worthy of being called custom rifles.
Very nicely filled. The ebony caps on the cross bolts is nicely done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ? [Re: DarylS]
      #364250 - 03/04/22 11:53 PM

hard to understand someone make such a good work and don't be proud enough to set at least some small marking somewhere.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ? [Re: lancaster]
      #364252 - 04/04/22 04:24 AM

+1 to Lancaster's observation.

Interesting glossy finish and skip line checkering treatment, certainly a retro kind of taste. Possibly intended for or made by a 1970's Texan?
Odd to me that they never got to the stage of filing the sights in.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Monsai52
.224 member

Reged: 23/01/20
Loc: California
Re: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #364253 - 04/04/22 04:47 AM

The fit and finish of the stock on the .470 looks better than the .550. The fit of the bottom metal on the .550 is not what I'd expect on a high end custom.

Best regards,

Edited by Monsai52 (04/04/22 04:49 AM)

buckstix
.400 member

#364256 - 04/04/22 06:35 AM

Quote:

Project rifles perhaps from an up & coming young gunsmith?
The stock design on the 470 is far better thought out but You have to admire the work overall it is very good indeed - all very good hunting rifles!

Hello 93x64mm
Thanks for the reply.
Both rifle stocks are nearly identical in fit and finish and features. The 550 Express stock has a drop for increased mag capacity. In addition, the 550 Express also has a "cock-on-open" feature, while the 470 Capstick is left as "cock-on-close".

Quote:

Oh yes - those are very nicely done & MOST worthy of being called custom rifles.
Very nicely filled. The ebony caps on the cross bolts is nicely done.

Hello Daryl_S,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I still have a couple dozen Custom Big Bore rifles in my collection, and these two are right near the top in quality.

Quote:

+1 to Lancaster's observation.

Interesting glossy finish and skip line checkering treatment, certainly a retro kind of taste. Possibly intended for or made by a 1970's Texan?
Odd to me that they never got to the stage of filing the sights in.
- Mike

Hello 3DogMike,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, they are both "Brand New" never used in the field. With there being so many similar rifles in the auction I assume they were all made for collecting and not hunting. Or the owner never got around to using them in the field.

As far as date made, the 470 Capstick cartridge didn't appear on the market until Art Alpin introduced it in 1990. (A-Square) And the 550 Express wasn't around until Neal Shirley introduced it in 2007. Based on this, I assume the guns were made in the last 10 - 12 years, 2010-2012 or later.

The Auction Tags and the stocks are marked "NB" which I assume was the consignor / Customer for the rifles. I know 7 similar rifles were listed at the Cleveland Ohio auction. The 470 Capstick is stamped "NB-12" so the customer may have had as many as 12 in his collection.

If anyone knows a Big Game Rifle Collector from Ohio, or nearby Michigan or Illinois, with the initials "NB" ... please let me know.

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #364260 - 04/04/22 10:06 AM

Hi Buck,
Yes, noted that the cartridge design dates to 1990's and 2000's…..I guess I should have said the look of checkering and shiny finish was inspired by 1970's Texas fashion (and Weatherby?).
Still interesting rifles, and possibly a challenge chasing down brass and dies? Will be fun shooters.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

buckstix
.400 member

#364262 - 04/04/22 11:06 AM

Quote:

Hi Buck,
Yes, noted that the cartridge design dates to 1990's and 2000's…..I guess I should have said the look of checkering and shiny finish was inspired by 1970's Texas fashion (and Weatherby?).
Still interesting rifles, and possibly a challenge chasing down brass and dies? Will be fun shooters.
- Mike

Hello 3DogMike,
Thanks for the reply.

I have brass and bullets and dies for the 470 Capstick. I have brass and dies for the 550 Express, but no bullets. Neal Shirley (the originator of the 550 Express) is sending me some 600g bullets. As soon as they arrive I'll be testing both rifles.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #364284 - 05/04/22 02:51 AM

Looking forward to the testing. That skip-line checkering is Wtby, seems to me, of the 70's. I think that's where I've seen it before.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

buckstix
.400 member

Re: WHO MADE THESE TWO CUSTOM RIFLES ? ? [Re: DarylS]
      #364286 - 05/04/22 02:57 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to the testing. That skip-line checkering is Wtby, seems to me, of the 70's. I think that's where I've seen it before.

Hello Daryl_S,
Thanks for the reply.

Might be 70's style, but as stated above:

".. the 470 Capstick cartridge didn't appear on the market until Art Alpin introduced it in 1990. (A-Square) And the 550 Express wasn't around until Neal Shirley introduced it in 2007. Based on this, I assume the guns were made in the last 10 - 12 years, 2010-2012 or later...."

So I'd be looking for a custom maker in the 2010's+.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3099

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com