Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA
      #362523 - 22/02/22 03:30 PM

https://blog.eastmans.com/montana-hound-..._eid=4ed317299e

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: Ripp]
      #362525 - 22/02/22 03:56 PM

We get on just fine here with Sambar stalkers and hound crews, even loan pointers.
Is hound hunting any different to long range hunting?
I don't consider LR to be hunting any more, I did it a lot when I was younger but I never considered it hunting back then, it was culling or harvesting.
But I don't begrudge anyone that chooses to hunt that way, why should hunt bears with dogs be any different.
The biggest disadvantage with dogs is they don't know the difference between a trophy and runt, so you might find more game, but you usually have to chase after it and then it could be any size, boar or sow ect.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: 260rem]
      #362543 - 23/02/22 02:10 AM

Quote:

We get on just fine here with Sambar stalkers and hound crews, even loan pointers.
Is hound hunting any different to long range hunting?
I don't consider LR to be hunting any more, I did it a lot when I was younger but I never considered it hunting back then, it was culling or harvesting.
But I don't begrudge anyone that chooses to hunt that way, why should hunt bears with dogs be any different.
The biggest disadvantage with dogs is they don't know the difference between a trophy and runt, so you might find more game, but you usually have to chase after it and then it could be any size, boar or sow ect.

YES, hound hunting is up close and personal.. at least in the end of it..

ROD who is a member on here has MUCH more experience at this than I..He lives in Idaho...perhaps he might log on and see this at one point..

We have been able to chase cats here previously..killed a large lion years ago with hounds..have chased a few bobcats..

Contrary to the greenies thoughts, it can be incredibly touch hunting.. had a lion take me up and down the mtn 4 times one Sunday..finally lost him as the dogs found a fresh bobcat to chase instead..

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #362559 - 23/02/22 04:38 AM

must be real sport if you follow the pack on your feet for some time across the coutry side

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: lancaster]
      #362564 - 23/02/22 05:19 AM

When hunting behind hounds, you need to be in decent shape- or on horseback, where that's possible.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

260rem
.375 member

Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: DarylS]
      #362583 - 23/02/22 10:01 AM

The hills around here, bugger following a pack after a deer, that's, steap, thick painful country to do that in but people do.
We uses to hunt foxes over JRT's as a kid, it was reasonably flat country but those foxes would run for miles till the dogs put them up a tree, in a log or worse down a hole.
Sometimes you would have to cut them out of a log with an axe, sometimes you had to dig them out of a hole.
Hunting with hounds also requires you to not only understand your hounds, but you have to spend a lot of time training them too.
Hound hunting is definitely hunting in my book.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: lancaster]
      #362586 - 23/02/22 12:04 PM

Quote:

must be real sport if you follow the pack on your feet for some time across the coutry side

The time I mentioned above..was very hard for me to walk the next day..I was exhausted..so were the dogs..their pads were tore up from the snow and ice..

We did get a nice cat 2 weeks later..will post pics when I get back to my office..

Super cold here right now...so at the ranch taking care of the cattle..suppose to be -24F in the morning

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #362600 - 23/02/22 05:29 PM

Bears unlike hoofed species can evade hounds by climbing a tree. So theoretically a hunter could choose not to harvest a particular animal.

With eg sambar I believe the hound team takes whatever animal is pursued. Not a problem with sambar and meat hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

260rem
.375 member

Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: NitroX]
      #362606 - 23/02/22 08:01 PM

At the same point, a hunter chasing a bear could spend a whole day chasing it and then have to decide if they should take it or not.
That makes it a hard hunt for no return so it's still a pretty damn fair chase.

--------------------

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #362617 - 24/02/22 04:17 AM

Sensible decision made in Montana; hunting black bear with hounds has been much common in the US in the late XIX and early XXth centuries, although mainly in the Eastern & Southern States, should we refer to hunting books from the late President Roosevelt; so we should celebrate that this tradition is revived. Hunting with hounds, although much different from stalking, is another side of hunting; but it remains hunting and a true field sport.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: Louis]
      #362626 - 24/02/22 07:21 AM

Well said Louis “we should celebrate that this tradition is revived...” !!!!!!!
Robert

Ripp
.577 member

#362653 - 24/02/22 03:46 PM

Quote:

At the same point, a hunter chasing a bear could spend a whole day chasing it and then have to decide if they should take it or not.
That makes it a hard hunt for no return so it's still a pretty damn fair chase.

True..BUT typically you will see a track.. can estimate size based off of that.. so, gives you at least an estimate..

--------------------

260rem
.375 member

#362656 - 24/02/22 05:12 PM

I do forget about snow, not a big issue around here.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#362700 - 25/02/22 07:22 AM

Quote:

I do forget about snow, not a big issue around here.

Snow or mud.. can usually find a print.. even in the leaves etc... 6" pad is said to be about a 6ft bear.. or so I've been told.. you can usually tell its a bigger bear by the pad size and crap size a well..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#362709 - 25/02/22 09:28 AM

6" is a large front pad for a black bear & likely 6 to 7'.

We were after a big one near Babine Lake one fall I was guiding some German Lads. 7 1/4" across the front pad. I took a picture of it with one of my .458's laying in the depression.

I tried calling him in with a predator call, squealing hare, but didn't work.
The hunters complained to the guide and outfitter I was placing them into danger, so I was assigned a different hunter.
The next day, the German fellow shot the 2-footer (that's what we call a 2 to 3 year old cub) that I wouldn't let him shoot as it was "too small". Not only that, he gut shot it & the outfitter had to go after it later that afternoon with his Austrian tracking hounds & finished it off with his .338. Poor little guy was pretty sick and feeling sorry for itself, so holed up in a small willow bush. The wound was nasty & opened up his belly a bit, but nothing hanging out. It would have been fatal from infection, I guess.
The hunter was happy, got his "Big Black Bear".
It might have squared 4 1/2feet.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #362742 - 25/02/22 11:15 PM

Quote:

I tried calling him in with a predator call, squealing hare, but didn't work.
The hunters complained to the guide and outfitter I was placing them into danger, so I was assigned a different hunter.

Typical tourists and pussy hunters. They are so chicken shit and so annoying. Should sit at home pretending to be hunters on the internet. Have not hunted with hunters like that but plenty of photo tourists wetting their panties in a bakkie looking at buffalo.

The gut shooting German, typical amateur "hunter" used to nothing but hochsitzen.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: NitroX]
      #362755 - 26/02/22 05:31 AM

The first day, this chap said "I must kill bear". It was a sort of "quest/becoming a man sort of thing". I merely said, "I'll get you a good one". His response was "it no has to be big one".
We were headed back to camp on the day we tried for the big bear and there was a 2 footer crossing the road. I stopped the truck and said, "there's a cub". He started to open the door and I stepped on the gas, saying "no - too small, just a baby". He said "it's bear, I must kill bear". The next day, he shot & wounded that little one with his "new" guide.
I still would not have let him shoot it - disgusting.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #363160 - 07/03/22 02:51 AM

I know a "real man" that was told by his buddy with the spotting scope: "that's a sow with a cub, don't shoot". He shot her anyway, then executed the cub.
What an a$$hole……money talks, and nobody ratted him out. I have ZERO respect for that (often) drunken & coked up little prick.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: 3DogMike]
      #363208 - 08/03/22 10:11 AM

Interesting and good sport. My hound hunts have only been for feral boars and that can also be fun.

Over the years, we have favored the Boars Nest, a hunting property 90 miles north and just over the border in Oklahoma. There are two parts to the property, a walk and stalk area and the trophy pasture where the smallest boars are 300+ pounders that can really fight the chase dogs. The MO is to load hunters into benches in the bed of a pickup while the dog handler looses the dogs. The landowner does this for fun and a modest fee because he breeds, trains, hunts, and sells the dogs.
He also takes some dogs further into southeast OK to chase black bears, but never kills the bears, he just trees them, calls off his dogs and drives to another area and does it again.
Anyhow, the hunt with dogs is a fun way to break in a new rifle. After the boars are dead other staff take them to the cleaning are where they are skinned ,quartered, washed and placed on ice in coolers.

My kind of hog hunting! I have lots of pics, but this one included my .45-70 DR that is now a 45-90, here tis: Dog handler pulling dead boar from creek where it fought dogs until I shot it.

Picture time with somewhat soiled hog"

THe dogs ignore the sows and chase only boars and this sow was getting up in years and weight - 600 pounds when it made the mistake of coming out in the open.

Grandson learning the game with his uncle:

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

DarylS
.700 member

Re: CAN NOW HUNT BEARS WITH HOUNDS IN MONTANA [Re: crshelton]
      #363209 - 08/03/22 12:30 PM

Big hog.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#363224 - 09/03/22 03:52 AM

Quote:

The first day, this chap said "I must kill bear". It was a sort of "quest/becoming a man sort of thing". I merely said, "I'll get you a good one". His response was "it no has to be big one".
We were headed back to camp on the day we tried for the big bear and there was a 2 footer crossing the road. I stopped the truck and said, "there's a cub". He started to open the door and I stepped on the gas, saying "no - too small, just a baby". He said "it's bear, I must kill bear". The next day, he shot & wounded that little one with his "new" guide.
I still would not have let him shoot it - disgusting.

-

Quote:

I know a "real man" that was told by his buddy with the spotting scope: "that's a sow with a cub, don't shoot". He shot her anyway, then executed the cub.
What an a$$hole……money talks, and nobody ratted him out. I have ZERO respect for that (often) drunken & coked up little prick.
- Mike

NO doubt there are assholes everywhere.. sorry done with blocking out my curse words..

See them in every aspect of life.. I now try to either ignore them, walk away..
All in all, as hunters, at least in my area we do a reasonably good job of policing ourselves..

SOME really suck at judging.. some just want to kill game with no thought of who/what if effects after the trigger is pulled.. speaks loudly of the person doing the shooting..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1598

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com