Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dissecting a New Weatherby MK V .340

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Dissecting a New Weatherby MK V .340
      #359608 - 24/12/21 12:46 AM

So, I found myself wishing to try a Weatherby again…….

Most either love ‘‘em or REALLY despise them.

I’ve had a few in the past and sold just about as many as I’ve bought. The funky stock shape works very well for me albeit an inch shy of the pull length I’d prefer….

Anyhow, I jumped back into the cool aid and picked up a new MK V wood stocked .340.

The blueing is deep and beautiful high lustre. The stock is also high lustre. Not ideal for a hunting arm as I’d prefer a matte finish, but the mirror effect is great for when I want to admire my reflection whilst hanging around waiting for a head of game to shoot.

Now to the guts of the thing:

All parts are well fit. The old blocky triangle “Wedge” forearm has been significantly slimmed and now feels like a forearm vs the old 2x4 blocky feel. The safety operates smoothly and silently. The bolt is still a little stiff but I expect will smooth out with some use. Taking the stock off, to my surprise the action is aluminum pillar bedded and glassed. This is a really nice departure from Weatherby’s traditional glass bedding. Now on to the trigger: It is a Trigger Tech unit. The roller sear breaks like glass, albeit slightly heavy for my taste. No problem with that. A quick run across town and I had a Trigger Tech “ Special” unit that breaks down to a pound and a half - I prefer my triggers on the lighter side, even on my hunting rifles. The bore scope shows a chamber cut nice and clean with a lovely throat with no visible nasty machining marks. The rifling is clean as well with no discernible matching marks…. Weatherby supplied a screw on muzzle brake, and a cap to cover the threads on the end of the barrel. I’m thinking the brake might make a nice cigarette holder as a brake has no business being installed on a hunting rifle - thankfully it is a removable item.

I’m quite impressed with what Weatherby has done lately. Overall just small refinements, but are most welcome. The rifle hasn’t made it to the range yet as it is minus 6 degrees outside and as I age, I REALLY HATE the cold. I’ve mounted a 1x8 piece of glass on it and have put together some loads based on some old recipes I’ve had good accuracy success with in the past.

If this thing turns out to be a good shooter, I will likely hang on to it and “maybe” bring it overseas to do some post-Covid plains game hunting with it. If it turns out to disappoint, well, it will likely go on down the road with the others I’ve played with.

What is the consensus of the forum members? Do you like the Weatherby products or do you view them as toxic waste?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dissecting a New Weatherby MK V .340 [Re: Postman]
      #359612 - 24/12/21 03:36 AM

Interesting purchase, Postman. Nice rundown on the gun's features.
What I've mostly despised about WTBY's(since the 70's), was actually Roy himself blowing off in that 1970's add about how a blown-up .257 WTBY 100gr. pill, killed the cape buffalo from it's hydrostatic shock.
In the picture on the add, Roy is pointing at the fairly large beer bottle shaped surface wound on the Buffalo's hip where the bullet detonated on impact, cutting out a gouge of flesh. What was also evident in the picture, was 2 holes in the shoulder from the PH's SxS .470 nitro rifle, also leaning against the leg of the buff. The PH was standing beside Roy.
It's -27C (-16.6F) here this morning. I know your pain with the cold.
edited:
lol - forgot to add. Your post is changing my mind on them. Perhaps they aren't as bad as they seemed??

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Dissecting a New Weatherby MK V .340 [Re: DarylS]
      #359614 - 24/12/21 04:36 AM

I agree that people either loved or hated the Weatherby. The style seemed outlandish, like something one saw in a modern art museum. However, the performance seemed top of the line. I don't remember the ad that Daryl mentioned but Roy was a salesman. There certainly was the debate over hyper velocity killing --- think of the 22HP being written up by Roy Chapman Anderson as killing tigers or 280 Ross killing lions (didn't work out for one bloke)
However, Postman's review, it looks like Weatherby has moved away d=from outlandish designs to become great hunting rifles.
Postman, when the weather is better, please do a write up of performance.

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dissecting a New Weatherby MK V .340 [Re: 85lc]
      #359615 - 24/12/21 05:44 AM

Yes- I am looking forward to that as well.
I suspect the pillar bedding and glassing as well, is in response to replacing broken stocks over the years. Buddy of mine had a .340 and the stock split through the recoil lug in the first 3 shots. The stock was replaced NP. I'm not sure if it was even glassed - late 1970's.
Other thing that needed attention, was/is the wavy stock surface. I hope that has changed as well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #359624 - 24/12/21 11:08 AM

I read your post with great interest.. One of my better friends was a Weatherby dealer for 40+ years.. He would occasionally give one to me to test out, use or whatever.. Did a lot of testing when they first come out with the lightweight models.. Have to say at the time I was less than impressed with the rifle but always like some of their calibers.. My all time favorite was/is the .257..SO, I built 2 customs. One is with a titanium Rem action and lighter stock to use when I hunt in the badlands for mule deer...The other has a blueprinted stainless Rem action with a Hart barrel.. both are extremely accurate.. Used them lot on pronghorn and deer.. with an occasional elk thrown and a few coyotes over hunting season.. Always shot 100gr Barns triple shocks out of it.. near 3670 fps..

Two other favorites were the 300 and 340..I no longer own any of them but have the 300 and 338RUM's in their place.. which I feel are better cartridges..

I believe when Weatherby moved their factory out of that shithole called California and settled in Wyoming they knew they needed to build a better mousetrap. Necessity is the mother of invention.. Look at the quality of firearms in terms of accuracy and handiness one can buy in todays world for a third or half of what Weatherby was charging.. And their guarantee of 1 1/2" at 100 yards in today's world is getting beat by $400 rifles... The Ruger American being one of them.. None of the Weatherby's I had consistently made that guarantee btw..

Its refreshing to see they have apparently picked up quality of what they had.. and YES, very curious to see how the big 340 shoots...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Dissecting a New Weatherby MK V .340 [Re: Ripp]
      #359625 - 24/12/21 11:55 AM

I promise to report back with a range report. The stock finish doesn’t have the wavy finish like an old C2 Corvette body. It is quite smooth. My only other Weatherby that I currently own is a MK V Ultramark with some eye popping sexy lumber in a .257. Using 100 grain TTSX, it felled many deer and caribou. The gun shoots surprisingly well until the 3rd shot when the barrel warmed and makes groups open up, then let it cool and presto, back on target. If I took a week and a half to do it, I suspect I’d have a very tight 5 shot group

Anyhow, this new .340 has been an eye opener with an intro to the Trigger Tech trigger……. This trigger is a thing to behold!!!! The standard one broke so unbelievably clean that I was mesmerized - I did some research on it and found they are made right here in Mississauga, not 5 miles away from my house…. The research also revealed that they are gaining quite a reputation for consistency, zero creep, and over travel so small it can be considered near non existent. I was so intrigued, I went and purchased the “Special” model that promised to bring pull down to 1 1/2 pounds!! Well, they set the hook and reeled me in….. I am now a complete believer.

If you ever get a chance to try one of these triggers, I’d strongly encourage you to see what you think. The only trigger I’ve EVER experienced that I liked better was a Jewell trigger, and being a trigger snob, I’m hard to impress.

Edited by Postman (24/12/21 11:57 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#359627 - 24/12/21 02:42 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, this new .340 has been an eye opener with an intro to the Trigger Tech trigger……. This trigger is a thing to behold!!!! The standard one broke so unbelievably clean that I was mesmerized - I did some research on it and found they are made right here in Mississauga, not 5 miles away from my house…. The research also revealed that they are gaining quite a reputation for consistency, zero creep, and over travel so small it can be considered near non existent. I was so intrigued, I went and purchased the “Special” model that promised to bring pull down to 1 1/2 pounds!! Well, they set the hook and reeled me in….. I am now a complete believer.

If you ever get a chance to try one of these triggers, I’d strongly encourage you to see what you think. The only trigger I’ve EVER experienced that I liked better was a Jewell trigger, and being a trigger snob, I’m hard to impress.

I have used the trigger tech a couple of times.. first was at the Gunwerks Long Range School..agree with you..great trigger..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#360626 - 18/01/22 08:16 AM

Remembered this thread.. thought you might enjoy this article Postman..

https://exhaustnotes.us/blog/index.php/2...ifmQ4ZJxlwanG6k

John Wayne’s Weatherby

We were in Oklahoma last week and it was awesome. It was an opportunity to visit with a wonderful friend and see the sights. And folks, Oklahoma has them. One of our stops was the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. It’s an amazing place with a collection of Native American artifacts, rodeo trophies, art, sculpture, firearms, and more. The guns on display were impressive, and one of the firearms that caught my attention was John Wayne’s Weatherby.

John Wayne’s Weatherby, chambered in the mighty .300 Weatherby Magnum cartridge, on display in Oklahoma City’s National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.
I’ve always admired John Wayne, and I love Weatherby rifles. This particular rifle was of interest for several reasons, not the least of which was John Wayne’s connection to Weatherby. I remembered seeing John Wayne in Weatherby ads decades ago, and I knew he appeared in at least one of the magnificent Weatherby full color catalogs. I found the photo I remembered in my vintage Weatherby catalogs, but it didn’t show Mr. Wayne with this rifle. Then I did a search on “John Wayne’s Weatherby” hoping to find a photo showing him holding the rifle you see in the photo above, but I did not find it. Wayne appeared in several photos and advertisements, though, like the one you see here:

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #372851 - 04/01/23 10:54 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Postman, I too own a MkV, in .340 W/by.
I purchased it off a good mate of mine, so I knew it's life history.
It is quite the performer, and only 100+fps, behind the .338 Lapua Mag!
I now own a .338 Lap Mag, so the .340 has taken a back seat of late.
Nice to read about your experiences with it as well.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1708

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com