Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: NitroX]
      #360208 - 08/01/22 06:42 PM

Synchronising two threads, how would a .577 Snider howdah, go against a brown bear attack? 480 gr lead bullet, 800 or 1100 fps? Two shots?

Easy to carry, short and handy.

A guess is useless if you miss or shoot them also in the wrong place.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #360216 - 09/01/22 04:21 AM

I'd much rather have my 4" .44 Mag. with 6 jacketed or hard cast 300gr. bullets at 1,100fps.

The snider would have to have hard cast bullets, as well, seems to me.
I think bears might be tougher than the big cats, but I don't know for sure.
Maybe 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: Ripp]
      #379736 - 30/09/23 02:15 AM

Quote:

I may have posted this before, if so I apologize.. it popped up again in my news cycle..find it very interesting as I live in the middle of griz and black bear country.. Fact is I picked up 2 new handguns in the last week.. A Walther PDP compact in 9MM and a S&W M&P 2.0 in 10MM ..The Smith was purchased with bears in mind.. I really like the feel of the M&P line..have carried one in 9MM for CC for the past 8 years or so..Anyway, this is a good article

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 incidents by Caliber
Ammoland Inc. Posted on February 19, 2018 by Dean Weingarten

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense...0#axzz7GWHwP1Z1

I referred to this thread recently. Also on other threads.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #379738 - 30/09/23 08:18 AM

Just reread this thread. Re Pepper/OC Spray. The defence grade stuff is very effective to outright no effect at all on people. In fact the more times you experience it the less affect it has. Yep personal experience and that of many workmates. So, to me, it would stand to reason that the same would apply to animals; with this in mind no way in the wide world would I rely on Bear Spray or the spray for use on humans to deter a bear let alone stop it if charging.

JHeath
.224 member

Reged: 26/07/21
Loc: British Columbia and Washingto...
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: Rule303]
      #379806 - 03/10/23 12:53 PM

Quote:

The article still proves that a hand gun is way more effective then Bear/Pepper spray. Thanks for posting Ripp.

How does it prove that? It doesn't prove or say anything about spray. It's just a collection of gun anecdotes. In the article, guys get mauled, get off shots before or after being mauled, or their buddy kills the bear while they're being mauled. The article proves nothing other than that sometimes you can kill a bear with a gun. How is being mauled a gun success. Maybe none of them would have been mauled at all if they were walking with spray in their hand.

The only meaningful stat to me, is whether spray will cause bears to back up.

Because I have carried handguns, shotguns, and spray. And I *know* spray can be deployed faster and with more certainty than a gun. You can dangle spray on your finger like car keys as you walk. You can't keep a gun in hand while you walk ten miles. And even if a bear crashes through brush from 6' away and lands on you, if you squeeze the spray you might gas yourself but you'll gas him too. With a gun, you won't get off a shot, and probably won't be able reach the gun while being mauled.

The problem with guns is that they are harder to carry, slower to deploy, and difficult to make a solid hit on a speeding bear at close range.

BUT if you have spray ready to deploy instantly, and it causes the bear to back up and regroup, then the spray has *bought you the time to use your gun effectively."

I would carry spray specifically to buy space and time to use a gun. And stats show that after using the spray the gun probably won't be necessary.

JHeath
.224 member

#379807 - 03/10/23 01:01 PM

Quote:

I tried a pepper, chilli, capsicum, paprika type spray on plants , sprinklers etc designed to stop dogs from chewing them. Siegfried my GSP puppy at the time, it didn't bother him at all. Never used it again.

The instructions with bear spray say not to spray it on stuff, bears actually like the residue. Spray only works as an airborne irritant.

I enjoy dosing my food with cayenne pepper. But I don't like getting cayenne pepper in my eyes. Works the same way.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: JHeath]
      #379822 - 04/10/23 08:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The article still proves that a hand gun is way more effective then Bear/Pepper spray. Thanks for posting Ripp.

How does it prove that? It doesn't prove or say anything about spray. It's just a collection of gun anecdotes. In the article, guys get mauled, get off shots before or after being mauled, or their buddy kills the bear while they're being mauled. The article proves nothing other than that sometimes you can kill a bear with a gun. How is being mauled a gun success. Maybe none of them would have been mauled at all if they were walking with spray in their hand.

Because I have carried handguns, shotguns, and spray. And I *know* spray can be deployed faster and with more certainty than a gun. You can dangle spray on your finger like car keys as you walk. You can't keep a gun in hand while you walk ten miles. And even if a bear crashes through brush from 6' away and lands on you, if you squeeze the spray you might gas yourself but you'll gas him too. With a gun, you won't get off a shot, and probably won't be able reach the gun while being mauled.

The problem with guns is that they are harder to carry, slower to deploy, and difficult to make a solid hit on a speeding bear at close range.

BUT if you have spray ready to deploy instantly, and it causes the bear to back up and regroup, then the spray has *bought you the time to use your gun effectively."

I would carry spray specifically to buy space and time to use a gun. And stats show that after using the spray the gun probably won't be necessary.

You are correct about the article itself by itself. I made that comment in relation to other articles I have read about Bear Spray use, sorry I did not make that clear.

What you say about carrying the Bear Spray ready for use sounds very reasonable.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379825 - 04/10/23 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Similarly anecdotes and stories about using bear spray are similar.

In fact videos exist showing it having zero effect.

But I guess better than nothing for hikers without a gun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#379831 - 05/10/23 02:32 AM

Bingo

--------------------
Daryl

JHeath
.224 member

#379846 - 05/10/23 12:35 PM

"Similarly anecdotes and stories about using bear spray are similar.

In fact videos exist showing it having zero effect. "

But that's a false comparison. Which is more likely to be effective if charged in the brush from short range: the spray dangling on your finger or the revolver you don't have time to unholster at all?

I owned 49 acres of forest in BC abutting West Arm Provincial Park, which is known for grizzlies. My property was very densely wooded and a loud creek cascaded down the middle of the property. I saw bear scat everywhere when I walked paths. Because of the noisy creek, a bear would be much less likely to hear me coming. A confrontation would probably have happened at too close range to draw a revolver or unshoulder a slinged long gun. I have carried revolvers and can draw them as well as the next guy. A revolver would have been near useless on most of my property, unless I sprayed first.

I'm American and in BC I couldn't carry a revolver anyway. But with a revolver I still would have had a can of spray dangling on my finger. Because odds are good it would give me a chance to draw the revolver.

In AK I carried a shotgun, that was long ago.

The advantage of spray is not necessarily that it is more effective. The advantage is that spray is *faster* when speed counts, if you carry it like I did. It would be nearly instant. And you basically can't miss. There's no advantage if the spray is strapped to your chest with velcro. Then it's even slower than a revolver.

Spray weighs nothing and has a ring handle. It carries like car keys on your finger. A Redhawk weighs over three pounds, you can't carry that in your hand all day.

If you have the spray and a gun, and a bear materializes at 30 yards, a bullseye pinned to his nose, wagging his head and snapping his jaws, there's no reason you can't drop the spray and do what you've always wanted to do anyway.

DarylS
.700 member

#379848 - 05/10/23 01:41 PM

All of the hikers I know have a quick draw holster on their hip for the bear spray. I think it's a cross draw, iirc.
They do practice with them, at least my wife's hiking group (all old people LOL) practice drawing their spray. Of course, with 7 of them in the group there might be time for one to get out the spray. Someone's gonna get it, but with that many noisy people, they're unlikely to be challenged by a bear.
I personally would not go where they go, without my 12 bore rifle, loaded with Challenger Gualandi DG slugs.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: DarylS]
      #379853 - 05/10/23 04:23 PM

Quote:

All of the hikers I know have a quick draw holster on their hip for the bear spray. I think it's a cross draw, iirc.
They do practice with them, at least my wife's hiking group (all old people LOL) practice drawing their spray. Of course, with 7 of them in the group there might be time for one to get out the spray. Someone's gonna get it, but with that many noisy people, they're unlikely to be challenged by a bear.
I personally would not go where they go, without my 12 bore rifle, loaded with Challenger Gualandi DG slugs.

Exactly Daryl on the last paragraph.

Quick draw might be fine but irrelevant if the spray doesn't work

And stories are still stories. Actual stories and accounts of real encounters are what the opening post was about.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4242

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com