Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A few big bore projects

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Evan
.224 member

Reged: 19/12/21
Loc: British Columbia
A few big bore projects
      #359694 - 27/12/21 09:53 AM

Hi I'm new here but not to guns. I worked as a manual machinists for 18 years before moving to an off grid island in British Columbia with my Wife and 3 kids for an interesting job for a few years, quite the life style change but I do still have a lathe here and can still do some work.

here are a few projects of mine that I have put together over the last few years. I still own all of them posted. I build these projects for a hobby and I love big bore rifles.

first off is my 43 express (11.35x62) rifle. (to make the brass you take any 375HH family case and trim it to 62mm and run it through a 43 Mauser sizing die) its a large ring Mauser that accepts a small shank barrel, it has a 71/84 Mauser barrel on it. the barrel threads were 1.000" 12tpi and the receiver was .980" 12tpi so I just picked up the barrel threads on the lathe and cut them 0.010" deeper with a 55* tool. feed and functions great. holds 3 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. I just realized I don't have pics of this rifle completed. ill take some new one here soon. its nothing special but it looks better then just the barreled action. it shoots a 365gr .447" cast bullet at 1925 fps for 3000 ft-lb of energy at the muzzle

[]

[]

[]

second is my 460 Weatherby, this was a simple build. I basically bought a Zastava M70 in 458 winmag, ordered a reamer form PTG 460 Weatherby reamer with .750" free bore, took the barrel off the rifle rechambered it and then made a new mag box for it and went to work on the feed rails, it feeds and functions fine but I can'T use the 95mm OAL unless I single feed them (base of it into the mag and the bullet on the feed ramp) so instead I use a 92mm OAL and they fit and function in the mag just fine. so I use the 480gr woodleigh bullets that call for an OAL of 92mm. its very light its 8 pounds 6 oz. (loaded is 8 pounds 12oz) since the pics I have blued the barrel and added open sights to it. also I realized I don have any pics of the mag or feed lips or anything. ill get more.

my newest project is my 500 Jeffery build on a P14 action. as of right now I just need to solder the sights on and blue the barrel. I used a new 32" 50BMG rifle barrel that was miss chambered and sold as a "gun smith special" for real cheap. and I bought a reamer from PTG, chambered and threaded the barrel then made the feed rails act like a single stack mag lips. its awkward for reloading but it functions perfectly and holds 2 rounds in mag 1 in the chamber. it weights 10 pounds loaded with 3 rounds. I went with an 18.5" barrel. 6" long knox at 33mm diameter then 6" of 2 degree taper then 6" of straight 27mm diameter. (muzzle is 27mm diameter) the riles OAL is 39"

first video you can see I still fumble it while loading it but by the 3rd its getting better, still a pain in the ass to load but at least it feeds well. 2nd video shows bolt not closing on the 3rd round in the mag, if I extended the mag about a 1/16" it would hold 3+1. I may do that later on.

[

[

https://youtu.be/VRuLfuhtH1k
https://youtu.be/DLLjdbaSEj4
https://youtu.be/q1Q2Xzq3OrE

and lastly its not a project but i figure we all like pics. its just a win m70 in 375HH. i fire a 300gr bullet at 2450fps for my heavy load.

Edited by Evan (28/12/21 03:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Evan
.224 member

Re: A few big bore projects [Re: Evan]
      #359697 - 27/12/21 10:45 AM

I started this a few years ago. the laws changed in Canada so I cant finish it. the new law prohibits anything above 10k joules or 20mm bore. this is 22mm (.866") bore. so this is from an old thread on a different forum.

its a 7 bore, (22.0mm) so it will shoot 1000gr lead balls and also ill use shot in it. its a 36" long chunk of 1 1/2" 4140, its been drilled and reemed. the barrel is straight for 6" then starts a taper that takes off .150" per side at the tip. the barrel now weighs 9.4 pounds with the breech plug, thats made of the same material as the barrel, those threads are M27x1.5

i'm kind of just building it as i go, i don't really have any plans or anything, just starting a part (the barrel) and making the rest of the rifle around it.

Edited by Evan (27/12/21 03:37 PM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #359728 - 28/12/21 07:56 AM

Been a busy boy!!!!
I hope you get to shoot them.....of more laws don't change in the meantime

Evan
.224 member

Re: A few big bore projects [Re: 93x64mm]
      #359732 - 28/12/21 12:26 PM

Quote:

Been a busy boy!!!!
I hope you get to shoot them.....of more laws don't change in the meantime

Yes I have been pretty busy! and I do get to shoot them too. the only one I haven't fired yet is the 500 Jeffery. its bedded and ready to go but I misplaced the rear sight and I haven't gotten around to finding it and getting it silver soldered on. the 375HH and 43 express are shot often.

the 460 Weatherby is prohibited too in this new law (over 10k joules). so its been a year since I fired it (may 1st 2020). I plan to rebarrel the rifle to 416 Weatherby, so I can use the same brass (just necked down) and the feed rails will still work in the receiver for such a large case and the 416 will fit the mag without issue. All ill need is a barrel, reamer, dies and bullets.

I missed out on a 10.75x68 Mauser the other week. it was awesome looking and was a good deal. still kicking my self for waiting until Moring to buy it.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #359738 - 28/12/21 10:43 PM

Call your .460 Weatherby a '.460 Weatherby Tropical or Light', download to 2350fps or there abouts & get under the supposed 10K Joule cut off.
If they can play funny buggers then why can't you?
Still no joy, shorten the chamber to 2.5" & there you have a .460 A-Square Short, still capable of pushing a 500gn bullet at over 2400fps.
Options I suppose!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A few big bore projects [Re: 93x64mm]
      #359749 - 29/12/21 06:06 AM

The shortened chamber will do the trick. The problem with the full sized .460 Wtby.Mag. here, is factory ammo specs will be used as criteria.

The 10,000joules is met at 7,375.6fpe.
2400fps w/500gr. makes 6,396.6fps = 8,672.6 joules

The unit converter app on my phone is handy for all conversions, metric to standard.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Evan
.224 member

Re: A few big bore projects [Re: DarylS]
      #359756 - 29/12/21 07:35 AM

The new law in Canada hasn't come into effect yet. Well it has but there is an amnesty for the people who had guns that became prohibited. So I'm still allowed to own it just not shoot it or remove it from my house (unless I take the barrel off then I'm allowed to own both pieces).

so due to the amnesty, no one has been arrested for this yet so there is no case law and we don't how the courts are going to decide what the term "capable" means.

the wording of the law is VERY vague and it uses the work "capable" in the working for the 10,000 Joules part of the law

there is many threads on Canadian gun forums that range from 10's to 100's of pages long trying to argue what "capable" means. (we don't know until its in the courts)

as of right now the RCMP are prohibiting any rifle that has a FACTORY load about 10k joules. so my 460 weatherby is prohibited in Canada, along with all the mark V and any rifle chambered in 460 weatherby (only the 460 version is prohib, rebarrel and you are fine.)

my 500 Jeffery is NOT prohib as there are no factory rounds that push it over 10k Joules. (it has more case capacity so if loaded to the same pressure as the 460 it would be more powerful. but luckily no factory load did this)

so I had though about setting my barrel back a turn and shortening my 460 dies to make a new round that would NOT chamber a factory 460 case. then make up a name for it and make up a load for it. then I had also thought about just buying a 416 barrel and going 416 weatherby, both are similarly easy (but if I get a 416 I want it to be a 416 Rigby)

(in the future the word "capable" may ruin that for me, as even a 308 win is "capable" of making 10k joules only once, it doesn't state anything about factory ammo (that's just what the police are going off of now as they have no direction from the courts), so I'm sure it will evolve into even worse)

sorry for the long past. it just gets me fired up when I think about it (the law was intended to get rid of 50bmg bolt rifles as they were non restricted in Canada)

DarylS
.700 member

#359761 - 29/12/21 11:30 AM

The .460 is about the only factory round producing that amount of fpe, so older black powder rounds are OK as well as all of the nitro-express SxS rounds.
The .600 NE comes close.

Seems to me IIRC, it runs 1910fps with a 900gr. bullet, so 7,293fpe, under the 7,375fps limit.
Oh, just remembered the new one. I guess the .700NE would be over at 2,000fps with 1,000gr. bullet @ 8,884fpe
Stupid laws.

--------------------
Daryl

Dogfish858
.300 member

Reged: 08/08/15
Loc: Western Canada
      #359784 - 30/12/21 02:10 AM

Could you elaborate more on the .43 Express? Seems like an interesting cartridge!

Which island? Fished in there quite a bit.

--------------------
But what about you? he asked. Who do you say I am?

Evan
.224 member

Re: A few big bore projects [Re: Dogfish858]
      #359805 - 30/12/21 08:01 AM

Quote:

Could you elaborate more on the .43 Express? Seems like an interesting cartridge!

Which island? Fished in there quite a bit.

Im living on Gambier Island in the howe sound.

well some info on the cartage and how it came to be is,

I was into 43 Mauser quite a bit I had a few 71/84 and a few parts rifles. I was setup for relaoding and also cast bullets for it.

I got into re barreling Lee Enfields with all kinds of other calibers using barrel nuts/thread adaptors one of them was a no4 that I put a 71/84 barrel on. I was loading it quite a bit hotter then I was in the 71/84 and it was hard on my new 43 Mauser brass and I couldn't make it feed very easy with the huge rim.

so I decided to find a brass that was close enough to work but didn't have a huge rim, the issue with that is where I need a good crimp, I cant head space off the case mouth. The shoulder is very small and round so I can head space off that, I needed a belt or to turn the rim diameter smaller on a rimmed brass.

I happened to have a 300 Weatherby mag case on my bench and by looking at it I figured that should be close. after doing some measuring and running one though a 43 Mauser sizing die, looked good. so next step was to bore the belt area into the chamber area to set head space and make the round fit.

once I had the resized brass fitting the chamber and the rifles head space perfect and a few test fires just using primed cases all was good. then after I loaded a few cases with my sized .447 bullets they wouldn't chamber, due to the thick brass in the neck compared to the 43 Mauser brass. so I used a adjustable reamer that has about a .5 degree taper on it and cut the neck area of the chamber to 0.006" bigger then the loaded neck measured.

after that, loaded ammo fit properly, chambered well, feed easily and extracted like factory rifle, the weight of the bolt would pull the case out of the chamber.

so that was the birth of the 43 express. at the time I had called it the 43 rimless belted express.

it was about a year later I had this "unknown" Mauser missing its bolt in my lap. it turned out to be a large ring small barrel shank 98 mauser.

the specs on the mauser receiver-

"Receiver used;
"Type VI, Oberndorf intermediate action
Action OAL: 8.750
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.835
Bolt body length: 6.165
Magazine length: 3.115
Receiver ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: .980, small shank
This type has a longer than normal receiver ring

I call this the Oberndorf intermediate action, as they are the only ones who produced it. Commonly encountered models include:
1903 Turk
1909 Peruvian
1935 Argentine
Oberndorf Commercial"

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum July 14, 2003"

so once I realized what size a small shank barrel was I though of putting the 71/84 barrel on the large ring Mauser. once I realized all that can work I rethreaded the barrel and cut the belt grove and opened up the neck.

I had no bolt for the Mauser so I looked for a "knife handle" bolt that would go well with the flats on the barrel knox. then after I found a bolt I opened up the feed rails and made it function.

then once I had build the large ring mauser I changed what I called the round to just 43 express, and then made a thread about a "new wildcat- 43 Express" on CGN and told people about it.

there is 2 rifles chambered in it right now. there is a no4 lee Enfield and this Mauser. I have sold the lee Enfield. so its somewhere in Canada

not much info on the round it self but more so on how it came to be. I can give info on how it shots and load data, fps and pressures if you wish.

Edited by Evan (30/12/21 08:37 AM)

Dogfish858
.300 member

Reged: 08/08/15
Loc: Western Canada
      #359812 - 30/12/21 10:19 AM

Never got to Gambier was always in the Gulf Islands.

That is a very interesting cartridge. I have an action that may be good for it too (Peruvian as well). I'd been pondering whether it was a good or terrible idea to try fitting a .43 barrel onto a Savage 219 for kicks and giggles.

--------------------
But what about you? he asked. Who do you say I am?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A few big bore projects [Re: Dogfish858]
      #359816 - 30/12/21 11:38 AM

Cool projects. Well done.

--------------------
Daryl

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
      #359880 - 31/12/21 10:26 PM

Hi Evan,

Just a little correction: The 1935 Argentine Mauser IS NOT one of the Mausers made with an intermediate action like the 1903 Turk, 1909 Peruvian and/or the Oberndorf Sporting ones.
The 1933/1935 Artentine Mausers are, indeed, Standard lenght action Mauser M98.
I donīt know why or where this error was originated...

Happy New Year!

PH

Evan
.224 member

Re: A few big bore projects [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #359896 - 01/01/22 05:51 AM

Quote:

Hi Evan,

Just a little correction: The 1935 Argentine Mauser IS NOT one of the Mausers made with an intermediate action like the 1903 Turk, 1909 Peruvian and/or the Oberndorf Sporting ones.
The 1933/1935 Artentine Mausers are, indeed, Standard lenght action Mauser M98.
I donīt know why or where this error was originated...

Happy New Year!

PH

Thanks for the correction, I had gotten my info form "The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum July 14, 2003" post 3 https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/curioandrelicfirearmsforum/mauser-action-dimensions-t12434.html

ill fix my post and the other site I had posted this.

turns out I can edit my first post here. must be a time limit on editing.

thanks

Edited by Evan (01/01/22 05:53 AM)

Evan
.224 member

#364719 - 18/04/22 04:03 AM

So I got a video of me shooting it today. I fired 3 factory Norma rounds.
I forgot one ear plug so I had to stop and out that in before firing it, on the 3rd round
I fumble it a little and doesn't feed ideal but I'm not sure why I was so slack on working the bolt,
I guess was wondering if anything hurts or looking at the cases coming out for any issues.

[video=youtube;v-cXiD2FmSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cXiD2FmSQ[/video]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cXiD2FmSQ

Edited by Evan (18/04/22 04:04 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#364722 - 18/04/22 09:23 AM

That's some echo!

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5817

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com