Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate
      #359844 - 31/12/21 03:08 AM

I may have posted this before, if so I apologize.. it popped up again in my news cycle..find it very interesting as I live in the middle of griz and black bear country.. Fact is I picked up 2 new handguns in the last week.. A Walther PDP compact in 9MM and a S&W M&P 2.0 in 10MM ..The Smith was purchased with bears in mind.. I really like the feel of the M&P line..have carried one in 9MM for CC for the past 8 years or so..Anyway, this is a good article

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 incidents by Caliber
Ammoland Inc. Posted on February 19, 2018 by Dean Weingarten

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense...0#axzz7GWHwP1Z1

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: Ripp]
      #359847 - 31/12/21 04:45 AM

I chuckled when I saw this:

"But the second grizzly, also a boar, didn’t veer away, the hunters reported. When it got within 10 feet of one of the men the entire party opened fire, letting loose nine rounds from two .44 magnum revolvers and the .45-70 rifle.

Only two of the shots connected, a necropsy would later determine."

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: DarylS]
      #359849 - 31/12/21 06:23 AM

think I have said this before - the 10 mm auto loaded to its full power seems to be the best compromise

not hiting so hard like a 44 mag but stronger than any other auto pistol cartridge

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: lancaster]
      #359850 - 31/12/21 06:27 AM

Quote:

think I have said this before - the 10 mm auto loaded to its full power seems to be the best compromise

not hiting so hard like a 44 mag but stronger than any other auto pistol cartridge

YES, Agree it is a good round.. and in the S&W as well as Glock.. 15 rounds in the magazine..
LOTS of firepower

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#359851 - 31/12/21 06:58 AM

Yes - I have to agree, the 10mm would be good for an auto.
I have or would have a more faith (for me) in my 4" M29, though, with my 275gr. hardened SWC at 1,210fps. It's comfortable and easy for rapid fire (or was last time I shot it) - it's been a while now. Kind of a moot point here - can't carry it anywhere, now.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #359852 - 31/12/21 07:18 AM

It would be bloody scary seeing a bear come at you!
Don't blame you guys for carrying some serious firepower at all & the attack can be so fast as well.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: 93x64mm]
      #359858 - 31/12/21 08:01 AM

The article still proves that a hand gun is way more effective then Bear/Pepper spray. Thanks for posting Ripp.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: 93x64mm]
      #359860 - 31/12/21 10:32 AM

Quote:

It would be bloody scary seeing a bear come at you!
Don't blame you guys for carrying some serious firepower at all & the attack can be so fast as well.

yes scary indeed.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...9Q&usqp=CAU

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: Rule303]
      #359864 - 31/12/21 11:20 AM

Quote:

The article still proves that a hand gun is way more effective then Bear/Pepper spray. Thanks for posting Ripp.

How fast can a grizzly cover 50 yards?

Grizzlies are strong runners, which is one of the reasons the U.S. Fish & Wild Services advises those encountering them to “never run from a bear.” The large mammals can cover 50 yards in just three seconds, running as fast as 40 miles per hour.

YUP, they are a bit quick..

Been charged twice by a black bear.. much smaller, still, once it was over.. Can not explain the rush of adrenaline one gets unless you've been there.. similar to when the tuskless cow charged in Zim and stopped at 8 yards.. also a bit of a rush... I was with the late Ian Gibson at the time..

--------------------

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
      #359877 - 31/12/21 09:16 PM

I'd definitely pack a 44mag with the stoutest loads I could source for it, a 357mag might be better for faster following shots but I'd rather the extra punch of the 44mag.
I wouldn't even consider anything smaller, although a, stubby Ruger alaskan in .454 Casull so I could use 45 colt for small game and varmints.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: 260rem]
      #359886 - 01/01/22 02:20 AM

The failure.

I have read about that one before.

In the warning shot category, yes a failure.

But the bear was never struck, supposedly. So how could that be categorized as a failure of the gun to stop the attack.

The failure to hit bear would go in another category, shots fired and missed. That would be an interesting statistic by its self.

This would be pretty high stress event. Only matched, I think, by a deadly encounter, sudden and close with a human being.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: DoubleD]
      #360081 - 06/01/22 05:53 AM

I'm in Colorado so (supposedly) black bears only…..
Typically when the bears are out of hibernation I carry 18% pepper spray and either my 10mm or .45 ACP, both with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads.
The pepper spray is actually not for a bear encounter; it's for bad dogs, or bad 2 legged critters……..

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: 3DogMike]
      #360082 - 06/01/22 07:12 AM

Quote:

I'm in Colorado so (supposedly) black bears only…..
Typically when the bears are out of hibernation I carry 18% pepper spray and either my 10mm or .45 ACP, both with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads.
The pepper spray is actually not for a bear encounter; it's for bad dogs, or bad 2 legged critters……..

- Mike

I recieved the latest editon of the "OUTDOORSMAN" magazine in the mail yesterday.. Inside had an article written by a lady named Tana Grenda ..She and her husbank live in Alaska.. hunt, guide, etc..where the big Alaskan Brown Bears live..not the tiny 600 to 800lb Griz..

Anyway, her story describes them gettting charged by a big brown last fall.. brother was shooting a 338RUM.. believe she said it was 225 gr Accubonds.. allegedly the bear ate 3 of the 338's and started to charge them.. The rifle ran into an issue, actually the primer fell out of the last round into the action and it jammed.. 454 Casull revolver was pulled and fire 5 more Buffalo Bore rounds into him at close range.. 5th shot hit the brain and killed him mere 5 feet away..

SHE states that in this case, she is convinced had they had a 10MM or similar vs the 454 casull, they would be dead... she said all 3 shots from the 338RUM were in vitals, one broke a shoulder, one through lungs, other above lung area...

I have to check the magazien tonight when i get home and I will correct any misinformation I may have provided in my retelling of this story..Long story short, she seeemed pretty spooked reading her story..I have been following her for a while along with her husband..they are hard core.. so, I respect anything they have to say about this situation..

Ripp
.577 member

#360083 - 06/01/22 07:15 AM

I found the article or part of it in another magazine online..

https://freerangeamerican.us/alaskan-bear-attack/

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#360095 - 06/01/22 02:24 PM

I would suggest you use the handguns for bad dogs and the spray for 2 legged dogs.
I do like your choice of pistols.

Many dogs are not the least upset with bear spray. My little sharp-nosed springer was not fazed in the least by bear spray.
She snuffled right through the reddish/orange patch on the grass and even licked it, then carried on her way as if nothing untoward had happened.

About black bears, my older daughter returned to the tree planter camp at noon, to find a black bear eating a can of bear spray that was left on the table. The bear was sprayed after it punctured the can, from it's eyes to it's throat and it's mouth was orange was it lapped up the spray.

Not sure what this all means, but my springer and that bear did not mind it.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #360101 - 06/01/22 05:14 PM

I tried a pepper, chilli, capsicum, paprika type spray on plants , sprinklers etc designed to stop dogs from chewing them. Siegfried my GSP puppy at the time, it didn't bother him at all. Never used it again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: DoubleD]
      #360102 - 06/01/22 05:25 PM

Quote:

The failure.

But the bear was never struck, supposedly. So how could that be categorized as a failure of the gun to stop the attack.

The failure to hit bear would go in another category, shots fired and missed. That would be an interesting statistic by its self.

This would be pretty high stress event. Only matched, I think, by a deadly encounter, sudden and close with a human being.

Quote:

"But the second grizzly, also a boar, didn’t veer away, the hunters reported. When it got within 10 feet of one of the men the entire party opened fire, letting loose nine rounds from two .44 magnum revolvers and the .45-70 rifle.

Got to hit them, and in a lethal place, to kill them.

From another site, and numerous examples, it seemed actually any handgun was quite effective in stopping or preventing severe attacks. I assume providing the defender actually is hitting the charging bear.

Of course,vthe bigger the bullet the better. Providing the user can hit anything with it.

Yep, experience and practice would make a huge difference when adrenaline and sudden and fast reactions occur. I know I fumbled my M98 .30-06 reloading the chamber when I had a hog deer "charge" me, it wasn't charging of course, just fleeing wounded uphill and dodged past. Had it wanted to impale me, a la a bushbuck, it would have had me.

Practising on running shots, and on charging targets is great practice. Maybe including an empty chamber, even an empty magazine.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Defense-against-bears-with-pistols- 97%success-rate [Re: NitroX]
      #360119 - 07/01/22 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The failure.

Quote:

Got to hit them, and in a lethal place, to kill them.

From another site, and numerous examples, it seemed actually any handgun was quite effective in stopping or preventing severe attacks. I assume providing the defender actually is hitting the charging bear.

Of course,vthe bigger the bullet the better. Providing the user can hit anything with it.

Yep, experience and practice would make a huge difference when adrenaline and sudden and fast reactions occur. I know I fumbled my M98 .30-06 reloading the chamber when I had a hog deer "charge" me, it wasn't charging of course, just fleeing wounded uphill and dodged past. Had it wanted to impale me, a la a bushbuck, it would have had me.

Practising on running shots, and on charging targets is great practice. Maybe including an empty chamber, even an empty magazine.

And THAT is the crazy part about the story I posted above.. bear was hit 3 times with a 338RUM.. 1 through the lungs, 1 through a shoulder and 1 below the spine ( which is not a good placment) ..but took 5 more from a 454 ... once that adrenaline gets going, the ones in the sight of a pissed off bear have an issue..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#360131 - 07/01/22 06:05 AM

Best not to piss off a dangerous animal, but then, even a moose or deer can be lethal.
A charged up grizzly - no thanks.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#360144 - 07/01/22 09:14 AM

Pistols - .40 Auto and a .45 ACP:
"the investigator gave up after counting 16 holes"
good story!

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/01/wyoming-bear-attack-on-elk-hunters-september-2021/

"The problem of an overabundance of aggressive grizzly bears has been known for some time. In an interview two years ago, Brian Nesvik, head of Wyoming Game and Fish, noted the departments’ hands have been tied. "

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#360146 - 07/01/22 12:05 PM

Quote:

good story!

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/01/wyoming-bear-attack-on-elk-hunters-september-2021/

"The problem of an overabundance of aggressive grizzly bears has been known for some time. In an interview two years ago, Brian Nesvik, head of Wyoming Game and Fish, noted the departments’ hands have been tied. "

Funny, I read that story a few week back.. crazy story..can picture it all happening like it did..lots of frantic fur and nuts at that point..

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #360163 - 08/01/22 02:45 AM

Quote:

I would suggest you use the handguns for bad dogs and the spray for 2 legged dogs.
I do like your choice of pistols.

Many dogs are not the least upset with bear spray. My little sharp-nosed springer was not fazed in the least by bear spray.
She snuffled right through the reddish/orange patch on the grass and even licked it, then carried on her way as if nothing untoward had happened.

About black bears, my older daughter returned to the tree planter camp at noon, to find a black bear eating a can of bear spray that was left on the table. The bear was sprayed after it punctured the can, from it's eyes to it's throat and it's mouth was orange was it lapped up the spray.

Not sure what this all means, but my springer and that bear did not mind it.

Don’t know about Canada, but here in the USA there is a difference between “bear spray” and defense grade OC spray.
The commonly marketed “bear spray” is (on the label) 3% OC …… meant to “discourage” a bear (don’t want to give the poor bear a real dose of reality)
Cannot say what effect the 3% stuff would have on a dog?
The defense or LE strength OC spray (what I carry) runs upwards of 18-23% OC, and I can attest from experience that a wound up Rottweiler lost all interest when dosed with the stuff.
(My wife was downwind and got some wind drift ,….lets just say that she “lost all interest” as well……..I was in real trouble for several days).
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Ripp
.577 member

#360165 - 08/01/22 03:20 AM

Quote:

[quote
(My wife was downwind and got some wind drift ,….lets just say that she “lost all interest” as well……..I was in real trouble for several days).
- Mike

Where is their sense of humor???

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#360181 - 08/01/22 07:34 AM

Interesting, Mike. I would have thought the bear spray would be stronger than LE spray. Seems to me, it used to be. Of course, that might not have been the case.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#360207 - 08/01/22 06:37 PM

Quote:

good story!

Good article. Why weren't any of them carrying a long arm?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3997

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com