Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: Ripp]
      #358793 - 02/12/21 08:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I put a lot of stock in the design of the bullet. Plenty of Elephants were only wounded when shot with the 4 bores. If the construction of the bullet is not up to the task of penetrating deep enough then the calibre is of little consequence.

Here I go with the "if's". If the bullet is up to the task, if I could handle a 500 calibre well and if I could afford one, then I would prefer a 500 or 505 in a bolt rifle.

The reasons I like the Hydro's even for Buff are: The distance it will penetrate means that even with a less then ideal presentation of the animal it will still reach the vitals; They have a reputation, and I have yet to see or hear different, of straight line penetration even when going through brush, small trees etc and still reaching the vitals; their performance (Tissue damage/wound channel) on game is way better than a conventional solid but not as good a s a soft nose, a cross between the two. I do believe solids with a decent metplat will provide a similar wound channel and penetration.

The draw back is using either of these on an animal in a herd for a side on shot is you may well have a pass through and wound another animal.

I took a large buff once, broadside shot, at about 75 yards.. passed through and killed a bull on the other side of the one I shot.. My guide said he had never seen that happen in his 20+ years of guiding.. soft making a complete pass through..factory ammo.. 400 Gr Swift A-Frames..416 Rem.

Have to admit that A-Frames are in a league of their own when it comes to Soft Points.

In my experience, indeed they are... Work equally as well out of my 28N and 300RUM... They still do an incredible job even at the high velocities....Close range or 500 yards.. Great design..

Not just the design but also the composition of the metals used. Seems they have the hardness of the lead and copper down to a fine art.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: Rule303]
      #358804 - 02/12/21 12:03 PM

Perfect?
Yes.
Anything that gives straight and deep penetration with some expansion, that you can shoot very well.

In the hands of a man who shoots very well, a 9.3X74E is excellent.

In the hands of a man that shoots poorly a 500 Nitro or 460 Weatherby is none too good.

More power is better only if you don't loose shooting ability along with it.

Edited by szihn (02/12/21 12:06 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: szihn]
      #358806 - 02/12/21 01:03 PM

I'm in perfect agreement with those sentiments, Steve.
Use enough gun as long as you can use it effectively.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: DarylS]
      #358815 - 02/12/21 08:37 PM

In the days before minimum cartridge requirements a .318 WR with 250 gr SPs and FMJs was considered a good choice for buffalo. So a modern .338/06 would be the same.

Does require proper bullet placement. And there are always times when something bigger seems far better. Shooting on an open plain or open woodland is far different to hunting in thick bush or high grass. And an undisturbed beast versus an angry wounded beast.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: Is there a perfect Cape Buffalo Calibre ? [Re: NitroX]
      #360912 - 23/01/22 12:48 AM

Gentlemen,

I would consider these three rifles:

A) a Heym Express in 404 Rimless NE, with a low power scope like 1,1-4x24 of a good manufacturer like Zeiss or Swarovski; (ammunition: handloaded 400gs Woodleigh SPRN or Barnes TSX for ca. 700 m/s)

B) a reworked Brno 458 Lott (5 shots in the magazine), also with a good variable low power scope
(ammunition would be a 450grs TSX loaded to 700 m/s)

C) a Heym Express in 500 A-Square with a red dot sight (ammunition loaded down to 500 NE level with a 570grs Woddleigh SPRN and Hydrostatic for follow up shots)

stocks made to fit, every rifle tested on the range for correct sighting, abd shot in the shooting cinema for bringing all issues to daylight the rifle might have if operated in a hurry

Testing with standard ammunition to see whether the shooter is up to the task/caliber, and stepping down ballistically if not...

best regards
Rolf

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11321

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com