Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Market for Doubles on the Decline?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: LRF]
      #358243 - 18/11/21 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Speaking from this side of the pond, double rifles are always going to be more difficult to sell. Your Greener is a very nice rifle but:

1) 360 No2 whilst a very good cartridge is not a big dangerous game type cartridge. It’s a antelope, deer, wildboar type cartridge. And I don’t think anyone is now making ammo other than Kynoch. It is nominally 9.3 so you can probably use 9.3 bullets.

If it was or had been rechambered to 9.3 x74r then it would be more usable for wildboar etc as ammo is more readily available

2) for its intended use, most nowadays use an optical sight and most buyers would want it scoped.

3) and Greener are no longer in existence so you don’t have any market drive from an ongoing brand.

You also need to factor that for many, the Pandemic has put paid to many hunting adventures, and thus purchase of rifles.

So what you have is a nice double rifle, but most potential buyers these days would struggle to find a use for it, and being a boxlock, it has minimal collector value. If it was a 9.3x74r, 375 h&h, 400 or 470 nitro, then there would be a market.

So what is your estimation of value/price?

Very difficult to say. In the September Holts Auction there was a mint Daniel Fraser Boxlock in 303 that had a hammer price of £7,000 - Lot 1206, and a Heym Boxlock with a pair of 375 H&H and 7x65R barrels all scoped that made £9,500. But the first is from a top end maker in mint condition with real collector value, and the second is a modern double with two sets of barrels that is selling for probably 50% of new price.

Greener's were never top end, rather good solid working rifles, and the rifle in question is a good solid working rifle with honest use. I would suspect if it was put into the Holts Auction I would guess it's guide price would be £3,000 to £5,000 - or possibly lower to get interest. Given that it is in the US where ownership is that much easier, and hence a wider constituency of buyers you might add another $1,000 to that price.

But it would very much be down to whether or not there were buyers after it on the day. The fact that it has dies and cases with it probably adds quite a bit of value - buy it today and I can play with it at the weekend, as opposed to where do I start lookng for dies. Dies may well be only $100 or less, but could be the difference between getting a good price, or not a lot.

Holts Auctioneers have a free valuation service - https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/v_page.html - upload some pictures and see what they say.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #358246 - 18/11/21 04:54 AM

Quote:

I think the double fad and novelty has been over for a few years ,or the last ten, its been going downhill ,along with the declining World economy ,the last thing most people need or want, is an expensive double ,nice idea ,but the future for hunting /travel even a job, etc is looking grim, I will most probably lose my job next year to the ''No Stab no Job''.

Sad to read of the gov takeover of businesses and the expermimental Rmna shots..Here is the US a Fed judge has put a stay on Biden's Fed order that any company over 100 employees need to get vaccinated.. Was seconded again last Friday by another Fed judge..

In addition many states, All conservative states, have filed a lawsuit against Biden for this mandate.. This is eventually end up in the Supreme Courts lap..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Vette447
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/09
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: crshelton]
      #358258 - 18/11/21 07:02 AM

I am someone who has tried to take advantage of the decline in prices over the last few years being lucky enough to have acquired a handful of nice double rifles by known British makers for prices that I would not have thought possible several years ago. I have stuck to prewar British guns made by major makers (Holland & Holland, Rigby, Westley Richards, Rodda, etc). I really appreciate the history and craftsmanship from the "golden age" of big game hunting and I like to use them.
Now, I often wonder if they are a good investment even buying at the recent depressed prices. I am not sure on that as time will tell, but I am happy to own them so far. I will say, I feel like I have seen somewhat of a rebound in auction prices in the past few months, at least in the US. Likely a symptom of inflation pushing people to want to own "real" items of value rather than keeping in cash or equivalents.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: Vette447]
      #358263 - 18/11/21 07:50 AM

I guess we should ask ourselves first why we want to buy a double even before we go into the market.
Regardless of price, I believe the vast majority of users will be because of the great workmanship that goes into these magnificent rifles that they have confidence to use them for hunting dangerous game should the chance prevail itself.
The romance of the great safari is still with us well over 150 years on; now to do so might be a pretty slim chance at present, however the skills to regulate these beasts with something besides factory loads are another challenge altogether, (I'm certainly finding that out) not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of time & money to do so, but that is the challenge!
If we all like the same old .345 Remchester then it would be a very boring old world where ever bullet goes exactly in the same hole time & time again (sorry to the folks that love doing that sort of thing!), so hence why we buy what we do - because we want it.
Regardless of price, these are all individual & unique, did you pay too much for rifle, perhaps you did - so what! We are just the caretakers of these fine arms, they outlive us all, so why bother.
Vette447 has the right idea, buy them for posterity's sake; if they are in my care they will get used lovingly until I pass them on to the people who deserve them.
So if you are just in the market for a double as an investment only then frankly you shouldn't own one because that is not what they are truly for.

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: crshelton]
      #358267 - 18/11/21 09:21 AM

Regardless of the £ or $ or even $ value of old doubles, be they rifles or shotguns, the real value, and the one that will be remembered is the joy that they bring when in the field. Old doubles will have many stories to tell and we can just add to them. Many still in regular use were made before we had motor cars, or we could fly and communications was by quill pen and ink on a letter and our correspondence across the Atlantic was by steam ship. And the American Civil War was still as close as the first Gulf War.

And yet here we are in a forum contributing from all parts of the world discussing these wonderful rifles and how they lead to many adventures , and hopefully are grandchildren and great grandchildren will be doing the same in 50 or a 100 years time.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: HeymSR20]
      #358284 - 18/11/21 07:26 PM

Quote:

Very difficult to say. In the September Holts Auction ... and a Heym Boxlock with a pair of 375 H&H and 7x65R barrels all scoped that made £9,500. But the first is from a top end maker in mint condition with real collector value, and the second is a modern double with two sets of barrels that is selling for probably 50% of new price.

I would have loved to buy that rifle! Out of my pocket currently though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #358285 - 18/11/21 07:46 PM

Quote:

I guess we should ask ourselves first why we want to buy a double even before we go into the market.
Regardless of price, I believe the vast majority of users will be because of the great workmanship that goes into these magnificent rifles that they have confidence to use them for hunting dangerous game should the chance prevail itself.
The romance of the great safari is still with us well over 150 years on; now to do so might be a pretty slim chance at present, however the skills to regulate these beasts with something besides factory loads are another challenge altogether, (I'm certainly finding that out) not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of time & money to do so, but that is the challenge!
Regardless of price, these are all individual & unique, did you pay too much for rifle, perhaps you did - so what! We are just the caretakers of these fine arms, they outlive us all, so why bother.
Vette447 has the right idea, buy them for posterity's sake; if they are in my care they will get used lovingly until I pass them on to the people who deserve them.

Absolutely. I often wonder who I will leave mine to. Some of them I would like to give to someone worthy, who would use them.

I sometimes think of buying and selling to make a profit, but I will hang onto mine until dead.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/11/21 07:47 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: HeymSR20]
      #358289 - 18/11/21 08:09 PM

Quote:

Regardless of the £ or $ or even $ value of old doubles, be they rifles or shotguns, the real value, and the one that will be remembered is the joy that they bring when in the field. Old doubles will have many stories to tell and we can just add to them. Many still in regular use were made before we had motor cars, or we could fly and communications was by quill pen and ink on a letter and our correspondence across the Atlantic was by steam ship. And the American Civil War was still as close as the first Gulf War.

And yet here we are in a forum contributing from all parts of the world discussing these wonderful rifles and how they lead to many adventures , and hopefully are grandchildren and great grandchildren will be doing the same in 50 or a 100 years time.

Excellent post.

I love having the honour of using a rifle carried by generations of hunters before me. A rifle over a hundred and ten 6ears old. Worn but still does the same task.

One factor in the DR market is many buyers have no idea. Sort of like buying a bow and thinking it will be the same as their brand new scoped modern rifle sighted in at the shop with factory ammunition. The same, They buy a vintage big bore DR and take it to Africa to hunt buffalo. Sell it as soon as they return home. Probably can't handle the recoil, it was unfamiliar, didn't perform as expected, probably double discharged it (my PH said it often happens when I did! But no one else admits it. ). At the very least, these guys should buy a new modern dr where it does need special regulating handload. The factory can set everything up for these newbies.

Less safaris, less buying of drs. Simple.

During World economic problem times, luxuries always suffer except for the super rich. They buy even more.

One of our members had a Purdey .369. purchased it maybe for A$7000? Over the years we saw it resold and resold till it was US$70,000 or more. Since last track of it. Maybe gathering dust in a collection. To me it wouldn't be worth half or a third of that ending price as a using dr.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: NitroX]
      #358302 - 19/11/21 12:18 AM

I am still buying new ones. Was sick of paying up to 20 times the new price for second hand guns. One day someone will thank me.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Market for Doubles on the Decline? [Re: NitroX]
      #358304 - 19/11/21 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Excellent post.

I love having the honour of using a rifle carried by generations of hunters before me. A rifle over a hundred and ten 6ears old. Worn but still does the same task.

One factor in the DR market is many buyers have no idea. Sort of like buying a bow and thinking it will be the same as their brand new scoped modern rifle sighted in at the shop with factory ammunition. The same, They buy a vintage big bore DR and take it to Africa to hunt buffalo. Sell it as soon as they return home. Probably can't handle the recoil, it was unfamiliar, didn't perform as expected, probably double discharged it (my PH said it often happens when I did! But no one else admits it. ). At the very least, these guys should buy a new modern dr where it does need special regulating handload. The factory can set everything up for these newbies.

Less safaris, less buying of drs. Simple.

During World economic problem times, luxuries always suffer except for the super rich. They buy even more.

One of our members had a Purdey .369. purchased it maybe for A$7000? Over the years we saw it resold and resold till it was US$70,000 or more. Since last track of it. Maybe gathering dust in a collection. To me it wouldn't be worth half or a third of that ending price as a using dr.

Have had PH's and others tell me the same.. Client will come hunt 1 or 2X's with their new firearm, then sell it once back to their home..NOT true big bore enthusiasts. Wanted the picture to put in their office or on FB...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4222

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com