Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos
      #357939 - 09/11/21 12:47 PM

A post about the Kangaroo's population in AU got me thinking, what is the best gun and caliber that works good for Roo's as you call them. So let us know what is your favorite.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: LRF]
      #357948 - 09/11/21 06:36 PM

The old code of practice is to shoot them in the head and minimum calibre is 222.

People just spotlight them and they sit there if they aren't spooked.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: mchughcb]
      #357950 - 09/11/21 10:03 PM

Don't actually own any rifles so-chambered myself, but .223 is the industry standard these days.
Probly was .222 or .22-250 when I was a kid...

My Sako L46 .222 has been put to effective use in several macropod culling operations, mainly Agile Wallaby, and I have helped a mate shoot Eastern Greys professionally for human consumption on several occasions in Central Queensland using his Winchester Model 70 .223.
Accuracy for 100% head-shots out to ~200m max (but a lot less in practice) is the primary consideration.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: Marrakai]
      #357951 - 09/11/21 10:22 PM

I've mostly just shot for straight pest destruction as per the grazier's call.
Depends on the time of year for skins, in the winter months they can be pretty darn good. Mostly taken Eastern greys & wallabies, never the big reds.
Meat can be from 2 extremes, perfect for human consumption to full of worms (like pieces of tennis racket strings). When you hit a bad lot you'll pick it straight away!
Bring in a bit of 'roo meat for a dog & watch them go berserk, they love the stuff!
The old .243 Win was my 'roo rifle (& everything else when I was a lot younger bloke).

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: 93x64mm]
      #357957 - 10/11/21 12:07 AM

My "roo rifle" would be my .222's. Rem 788 and Mauser M03.

In the 'good old days' the .243 and the .22/250 were probably the go to choices. And the rarer .220 Swift. The .222 as well of course.

Nowadays the boring .223 is probably it.

Roo code of practice? I believe that is state based, NSW? Maybe Vic? Maybe applied for professional shooting for human consumption?

If I shoot roos, I certainly don't have to brain shoot them. The bs code of practice claims brain shots only for minisation of cruelty reasons. Dangerous stuff if ever applied to all hunting. Brain shots make sense commercially, minimise hide and meat damage.

If shooting on destruction permits, the carcase is left to rot on the ground. A waste. So chest shots are fine.

A .22/250 with a 55 gr fragile bullet allowed chest shots without an exit wound. Or a 50 gr bullet. Flat shooting. Accurate for head shots.

A .243 with a 70 gr HP was another choice.

.25/303 in the good old SMLE days.

I believe a .22/303 was available as well.

Converted SMLE's probably lacked accuracy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: NitroX]
      #357958 - 10/11/21 12:23 AM

"Roos" are confined to the species, the plains Reds, the largest.

The smaller Eastern and Western Grey kangaroos.

Smaller, mid sized, is the medium Euros and Wallaroos.

The smallest species are the Wallaby species. Some are very small.

At the moment I have some Reds on my property. Up from the Murray plains into the hills and beyond. Particularly in droughts. They seem resident now.

I have Eastern Greys as well.

Sometimes a species of Euro.

No wallabies here. There are in the Flinders Ranges and on Kangaroo Island.

I have used a .22 RF, a .22 Mag RF, and the .222s. Also .308 and .30-06. 6.5s. Even a .30-06 55 gr Accelerator at 4,000 fps.

I would love to find again a property with big destruction full numbers. Great practice, especially, running/hoping shots.

Most derros only shoot with a spotlight.Much better fun during daylight. Where heavily hunted they are very alert during daylight, often 500 metres or more away. But usually easier, at 70 to 200 metres during the day, especially in scrub.

Some people say they are very difficult to bow hunt. Always stay 50 to 70 metres away.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: NitroX]
      #357963 - 10/11/21 04:49 AM

This seems like it would be a ton of fun .. hopefully one day I can partake..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: Ripp]
      #357965 - 10/11/21 04:57 AM

I had the same thought, Ripp!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: DarylS]
      #357997 - 10/11/21 09:06 PM

A really good Gunsmith mate of mine rebarrels a lot of ‘Roo shooters rifles for QLD shooters. He stamps a date on the underside of the barrels when he fits them. Best one was a rifle that was back for a new barrel 4 months after fitting, it had done just over 9000 rounds in 4 months. This was when Roos were worth something to shoot and conditions were good. Drought has a very major affect on roo numbers. The 223 Remington is the main cartridge now in use, with 55 grain projectiles. Even the big US projectile manufacturers will produce special “roo” projectiles, mainly just a cup and core basic bullet, that’s all you need to head-shoot Roos. They get very boring to shoot after a few hundred of them.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Go to gun and cartridge for Kangaroos [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #358005 - 11/11/21 02:11 AM

Quote:

A really good Gunsmith mate of mine rebarrels a lot of ‘Roo shooters rifles for QLD shooters. He stamps a date on the underside of the barrels when he fits them. Best one was a rifle that was back for a new barrel 4 months after fitting, it had done just over 9000 rounds in 4 months. This was when Roos were worth something to shoot and conditions were good. Drought has a very major affect on roo numbers. The 223 Remington is the main cartridge now in use, with 55 grain projectiles. Even the big US projectile manufacturers will produce special “roo” projectiles, mainly just a cup and core basic bullet, that’s all you need to head-shoot Roos. They get very boring to shoot after a few hundred of them.

Seems similar to shooting our prairie dogs here only a bigger target in your case..

On a good day in a good town of them you can easily shoot in excess of 500+ per day.. and yes, after a while, for me, it becomes boring as well...

Know a Fish and Game guy here who used to cull deer out of ranches hay yards.. he used 52 gr Sierra Matchkings.. all head shots as well.. out of a 220 swift mainly.. said they worked awesome..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

LRF
.333 member

#358029 - 11/11/21 09:42 AM

Seems to me, "Roo's" would be a perfect candidate for the 218 Mashburn Bee. Feral Chickens in Missouri cringe and run for the hill when they see a Mashburn enter the field. Roo's I think similar!

LRF
.333 member

#358030 - 11/11/21 09:53 AM

Quote:

Seems similar to shooting our prairie dogs here only a bigger target in your case..

On a good day in a good town of them you can easily shoot in excess of 500+ per day.. and yes, after a while, for me, it becomes boring as well...

Ripp, I to have had similar experience but try this sometime, instead of taking your best dog rifle take a 22 short barrel auto pistol. Its a hoot shooting at dogs 100 yards away. A number of years ago my son and I spent an afternoon doing this south of Zortman. We shot a whole brick of ammo and the best part was, as I remember, we never hit a single one but wow do they jump when you get close. A fun afternoon for sure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1790

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com