Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: national action on kangaroo plague

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
national action on kangaroo plague
      #357914 - 08/11/21 07:37 PM

Scientists want national action on kangaroo plagueScientists want national action on kangaroo plague

Scientists want national action on kangaroo plague
Chris McLennan
Chris McLennan@McLennanCm
8 Nov 2021, 5 a.m.
News
The nation's leading wildlife scientists say a national approach is need to curb "overabundant" kangaroo populations in this country.

The nation's leading wildlife scientists say a national approach is need to curb "overabundant" kangaroo populations in this country.
Aa

Australia's best wildlife scientists have called for a national approach to combat the kangaroo plague.

What many people have seen as a complete reversal of recent scientific opinion has emboldened the commercial kangaroo industry to emulate the giant strides being made by the domestic goat industry.

There are an estimated 40 million kangaroos in Australia.

The scientists, wildlife experts from most universities around Australia, agree current strategies on curbing their numbers are not working.

They have embraced the need for more culling, and also want to see prices paid for kangaroo meat trebled to encourage more harvesting.

They have even suggested as kangaroos are low methane emitters, they could replace sheep and cattle and attract carbon credits for farmers if higher prices were paid for their meat.

Culling quotas are set by governments at about 10 to 20 per cent of total populations and most cull targets are never reached.

Twenty-five ecological, conservation, animal welfare and Aboriginal organisations have also supported the call.

The Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia has welcomed the the return of "common sense" to the national debate.

KIAA executive officer Dennis King said it "was nice to finally hear them all singing from the same hymn book".

"We absolutely need a national approach, for instance kangaroo meat is still seen as a lower value meat, we could educate people about that," Mr King said.

"Look at the rise of the goat industry in this country, that's the path we need to follow."
There are international efforts to stop Australia's kangaroo trade.

There are international efforts to stop Australia's kangaroo trade.

The united scientific front came in a special November edition of the scientific journal Ecological Management and Restoration.

The scientists, along with landholders and public land managers, describe the animal and human welfare legacies of millions of kangaroos dying in dry times because their populations had not been managed sustainably or ethically.

It is estimated about six million kangaroos and wallabies died of starvation during the last drought.

The wildlife scientists want "scientifically-informed reforms" to the nation's current approach to kangaroo control to to limit "the waste, degradation and suffering that results from ineffective, and sometimes counterproductive policies".

The scientists continualy refer to the "overabundance" of kangaroos and wallabies in Australia which result in environmental damage and their starvation.

Ecologist Dr John Read from the University of Adelaide said: "We were bombarded with case studies where overabundant kangaroos represented the main threat to revegetation and conservation programs, including examples where unchecked increases threatened the survival of wildlife species, including the macropods themselves."

MORE READING: 'Imported vegan junk food' fires up red meat industry.

NSW grazier Leon Zanker said: "The widely accepted boom/bust cycle that has seen millions of kangaroos starve to death or smashed on our roads has in my view, totally unacceptable animal welfare, social and environmental outcomes and shows absolute disrespect for our national icon."

The scientists also describe new ways to manage kangaroo numbers.

Associate Professor Graeme Coulson from the University of Melbourne said fertility treatment can work in localised cases "but in many cases lethal control is required".

Dr Jim Radford from La Trobe University said harvesting kangaroos as a resource "is preferable to either treating them as pests or ignoring their plight altogether".

Australian National University's Professor George Wilson said a stronger kangaroo industry could also bolster the national economy and provide jobs for regional and rural communities.

Professor Wilson and the other wildlife experts have called for a national approach to the problem.
Low methane emitters, there is a suggestion kangaroos could win carbon credits by replacing traditional livestock on farms.

Low methane emitters, there is a suggestion kangaroos could win carbon credits by replacing traditional livestock on farms.

The scientists want a National Kangaroo Taskforce established to tackle the problem.

"Currently, hundreds of thousands of kangaroos are culled on private land as a form of pest control in order to protect environmental and agricultural production, but an increasing number of carcasses are left in the paddock to rot, which is a huge waste," Professor Wilson said.

He wants to increasing the value of kangaroo meat to match sheep and cattle prices.

"If the price of kangaroo rises from about $20 a carcass to around $70-$80 or more, then a portion of the money can be fed back to the landowner," Professor Wilson said.

"Currently landowners don't benefit from the culling of these roos on their properties. The shooters come to the property and take the kangaroos and the graziers just view this as pest removal.

"Not only is kangaroo a quality product and a high-protein meat, with low fat and cholesterol, the animals also produce fewer methane emissions compared to sheep and cattle," he said.

"Because the animals don't produce as much methane, instead of the graziers seeking to bolster their sheep and cattle numbers after periods of drought, which they are doing, it would make sense for them to be involved in low-emission meat from the kangaroos on their properties and potentially earn carbon credits which can be traded as part of meeting Australia's climate change objectives."

What the deforestation pledge means for Australian agriculture
Questions have also arisen over whether Scott Morrison consulted with state and territory leaders, or even members of his own government, before making the commitment.

https://www.theland.com.au/story/7500119/scientists-want-national-action-on-kangaroo-plague/?cs=4951

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: national action on kangaroo plague [Re: NitroX]
      #357915 - 08/11/21 07:52 PM

For bloody starters, sporting hunting tags. Kangaroos should be the whitetail and roe deer of Australia.

I have six at least on my 35 ha home block vineyard. Plus more on other blocks and paddocks.

I actually like them around. But would shoot three or four a year if legal for meat, and more on other people land.

Several million could be taken this way free of charge.

Kangaroo should be as common as beef on the table. I usually buy kangaroo mincemeat now instead of beef. I make a lovely Roo Vindaloo Shepherds Pie with roo mince. Hamburgers are regularly roo as well. Occasionally roo fillets.

The main strategy needs to be crushing the Greenie and anti propaganda about "extinction" around the world. Pay some animal TV show producers to make shows about the masses of food in Australia.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #357921 - 08/11/21 09:58 PM

When I lived in North Queensland a lifetime ago, I fronted up to the local Parks & Wildlife office each year for my Personal Use 'Roo Permit, complete with 20 plastic ear-tags for Eastern Greys and Reds, and unlimited wallabies of a half-dozen species.

The permit specified that animals were to be taken during the specified "open season".
The first time I asked what was the open season, the crusty old ranger processing my paperwork looked at me with a wry smile and said "First o' January to thirty-first o' December, mate!"

Forgot to add: the way to get more customers to buy roo meat for human consumption is to make it cheaper, not raise the price!
Sure, pay the shooters more at the box, but subsidize the middle-man as an ecology offset.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Edited by Marrakai (08/11/21 10:04 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: national action on kangaroo plague [Re: Marrakai]
      #357922 - 08/11/21 11:32 PM

Yes Queensland does sell those permits. What every state should be doing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #357925 - 09/11/21 03:37 AM

Want to get rid of the roos or at least reduce the # - put a damn bounty on their right ears., such as $5.00 per. Other coincidental regulations could be: "non damaged meat must be harvested".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: national action on kangaroo plague [Re: DarylS]
      #357932 - 09/11/21 07:45 AM

'Roo's are like rabbits, can breed up at astonishing rates in good times. With cattle or sheep, land has to be relatively clear & water not all that far apart, then cull the dingoes & BOOM!. This is the main reasons that their numbers have exploded.
Makes a nice main course meat dish, marinate in red wine & garlic, cook on a very hot plate or barby & whatever you do do not cook to 'well done', you might as well eat cardboard!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: national action on kangaroo plague [Re: 93x64mm]
      #357934 - 09/11/21 08:01 AM

I've had roo burger & it was very good indeed. Well done, but ground to start.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#357945 - 09/11/21 05:17 PM

Quote:

Want to get rid of the roos or at least reduce the # - put a damn bounty on their right ears., such as $5.00 per. Other coincidental regulations could be: "non damaged meat must be harvested".

Three and a half million are shot legally each year, or were when I saw the numbers. A mixture of destruction culls, not to be removed from the property. And for pet and human consumption.

My guess is at least two, maybe three times that number are shot. One might see twenty or more roos for every sheep or cow on stations.

As said, roos are prolific breeders in good times, rapidly replace any die off in bad times. So no reason not to have a higher full rate. If the roos can breed up quickly anyway, reduced numbers can be quickly replaced.

No chance of a bounty on roos. Not needed, nor politically possible.

With all the BS about cattle and methane and BS climate change, the world should turn to eating free range, non GM, low fat, wild red Roo meat in addition to lovely beef.

2+2=5 in leftie causes, so logic never applies.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#357946 - 09/11/21 05:20 PM

Quote:

I've had roo burger & it was very good indeed. Well done, but ground to start.

In addition to the Roo meat we consume as humans, my two GSPs eat a kg or two a week of dog roo mince.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1173

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com