Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters...
      #357360 - 14/10/21 05:50 AM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/wyoming-grizzly-bear-attack/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters... [Re: Ripp]
      #357363 - 14/10/21 07:30 AM

Bloody lucky his mates were there!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters... [Re: 93x64mm]
      #357366 - 14/10/21 10:21 AM

Yeah- pretty much sums it all up.

"Grizzly bears in the lower 48 states are protected under the federal Endangered Species Act, and it is illegal to harm, harass or kill them, except in cases of self-defense or the defense of others.

According to a recent Field & Stream article, 2021 has been a bad year for bear attacks in the Lower 48, and the season when we see more attacks is just beginning. The frequency of attacks is likely due to an increase in the Lower 48 grizzly population along with more people recreating and living in grizzly country.

“Some people don’t even realize that there can be grizzly bears around,” U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) Grizzly Bear Recovery Coordinator Hilary Cooley told F&S. “We have more people moving to the West. We have more people recreating in grizzly bear territory. There’s record visitation at National Park Service and Forest Service areas. Every biologist I talk to is like ‘there are people camped all over the place.’ And a lot of people are coming from elsewhere and don’t know that their gas grill or cooler that they leave on the picnic table on the campsite will be a potential bear attractant. Most of those conflicts are preventable.”"

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #357372 - 14/10/21 05:32 PM

Quote:

Too true.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters... [Re: Rule303]
      #357386 - 15/10/21 06:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Too true.

Agree.. would have been different had they not been there..

Griz in Wyoming and Montana, imho, are way more dangerous than those in Alaska where they are still being hunted.. The ones in WY and MT have not been hunted since the early 80's..they have no fear of man.. and the populations have exploded.. but, Fish and Game will not release that info as it owuld be ammo to have a hunting season so they continue to stick to the bullshit narrative that there are 6 to 800 in the greater Yellowstone Eco System of over 2 MILLION acres.. my friend who has a small parcel of land..20 acres..had 17 diff ones caught on game cam's in 2017.. 17 diff bears..

Same happened in Glacier..they started collecting hair samples for dna testing to determine the number.,results were never released and study was discontinued.. political bullshit.. as is everything else these days..

Have a good friend who rode the parks and forest for 28 years for F&G in MT --he said there is 2 to 3 times the number they are reporting.. shocker I know, that a gov department would lie..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#357387 - 15/10/21 07:42 AM

Same here, Ripp. The grizzly population has increased to the point they are spotted/observed where never before.
Same with black bears as not a lot of people are eating them these days. That might change in the near future, as long as we still have the means to kill them.
I might have to sharpen my swords.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters... [Re: DarylS]
      #357389 - 15/10/21 09:41 AM

Griz chases truck down highway near Browning MT..

At least this proves they are not aggressive in Montana at least...

https://www.krtv.com/news/video-grizzly-bear-charges-at-vehicle-in-glacier-county

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#357398 - 16/10/21 11:27 AM

Grizzly bear injures 3 Montana hunters in separate attacks at national forest

https://www.foxnews.com/us/montana-grizzly-bear-attack-hunters#

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#357399 - 17/10/21 03:59 AM

Been more than a few attacks, I see.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #357402 - 17/10/21 06:30 PM

All the Govt and greenies have to do is wait until the population reaches the point where it grows exponentially. They will then be chewing on, rangers, their horses and greenies like never before, then the true figures will hard to deny.

I know bears eat carrion but don't know if they will stomach unwashed greenies.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Wyoming-Grizzly-Bear-Attack on Hunters... [Re: Rule303]
      #357405 - 18/10/21 02:45 AM

Usually the "higher" the smell of their potential food, the better.
This really does concern me, though, as my wife's hiking group oft times goes to normal grizzly areas. Of course they all carry spray.
If my left leg wasn't so crippled, I'd go along with them, just to carry my rifled 12 bore.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#357413 - 19/10/21 03:29 AM

Quote:

Usually the "higher" the smell of their potential food, the better.
This really does concern me, though, as my wife's hiking group oft times goes to normal grizzly areas. Of course they all carry spray.
If my left leg wasn't so crippled, I'd go along with them, just to carry my rifled 12 bore.

Griz were released through the state some time back .. inside source told me this a few years back.. all was kept hush-hush.. which is one of the reasons they are being seen in areas they have not been in for over 50 years.. that and the populations are really growning.. sows with twins, or triplets is not uncommon.. some with even more.. YET the number remains roughly the same as when I moved here 32 YEARS ago.. weird..

Why is it when you lie to the government its a felony, yet when they lie to you the citizen it's just politics??

Not sure if I posted this ..but here is another recent story..

A sow grizzly bear attacked a pair of hikers and their dog Aug. 10, at 8:30 p.m. in the Bear Creek area of southwest Montana. The attack took place near the town of Ennis and north of Yellowstone National Park, reports the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks and NBC Montana..

When with my family hiking, I am never without a bear stopper of one kind or another... my family never goes hiking as well without a firearm if I am not around.. simple fact of life.. even when I just ride out checking cattle I am always carrying.. truth be told, anymore is just as much the 2 legged coyotes as the bears..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#357416 - 19/10/21 04:05 AM

I agree about being armed, Art. I never go into the bush without a rifle or shotgun loaded with slugs. I like the Gualandi Dangerous Game Slug load.
It's a hardened slug from Italy, loaded here in Canada under the Challenger name. They shoot really well in my Mossberg's rifled tube. 496gr. at 1,610fps.
I have a 25 package of them, with accompanying wad for handloading, but haven't loaded up any as of yet. I still have 15 of the factory loaded slugs.
Black bears and I thought grizzlies as well, always have 3 cubs. The odd time, they will have 4. It is rare for all 3 or 4 to survive until the sow leaves the
winter den, but it does happen. I've seen black bear sows with 4 cubs and most in June still have 3. They are predated upon by other bears, of course &
with the wolf situation, they also are a problem.
3 years in a row, there were different sow grizzlies with 3 cubs each on the Babine river where I was fly fishing for Sockeye Salmon.
That is the first time I had seen that, as usually they only have one or two with them, by the fall, the others falling prey to boars or other problems.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#357419 - 19/10/21 05:01 AM

Quote:

I agree about being armed, Art. I never go into the bush without a rifle or shotgun loaded with slugs. I like the Gualandi Dangerous Game Slug load.
It's a hardened slug from Italy, loaded here in Canada under the Challenger name. They shoot really well in my Mossberg's rifled tube. 496gr. at 1,610fps.
I have a 25 package of them, with accompanying wad for handloading, but haven't loaded up any as of yet. I still have 15 of the factory loaded slugs.
Black bears and I thought grizzlies as well, always have 3 cubs. The odd time, they will have 4. It is rare for all 3 or 4 to survive until the sow leaves the
winter den, but it does happen. I've seen black bear sows with 4 cubs and most in June still have 3. They are predated upon by other bears, of course &
with the wolf situation, they also are a problem.
3 years in a row, there were different sow grizzlies with 3 cubs each on the Babine river where I was fly fishing for Sockeye Salmon.
That is the first time I had seen that, as usually they only have one or two with them, by the fall, the others falling prey to boars or other problems.

I saw a pic earlier this year of a sow griz that had 5-- 1 1/2 yr old cubs with her.. Have never seen that before...

One of the vid's above has 3, all are older headed into the den for the winter..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#357422 - 19/10/21 06:07 AM

5 - WOW!
Each one of those sows I saw while fishing, had 3, 2 1/2 year olds.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#357426 - 19/10/21 06:51 AM

Quote:

5 - WOW!

Think of that.. 3 cubs.. 4 years or less those will be producing, spreading out to new territory, etc... lots of bears... AND as stated the ones down here are, IMHO, way more aggressive as they never get shot or hunted.. no fear...

I should do an add for the Montana Department of Tourism..

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#357428 - 19/10/21 08:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

5 - WOW!

Think of that.. 3 cubs.. 4 years or less those will be producing, spreading out to new territory, etc... lots of bears... AND as stated the ones down here are, IMHO, way more aggressive as they never get shot or hunted.. no fear...

Well Ripp I think you should!
The country down that way must be extremely productive for bears (& everything else obviously ) for them to have such huge families.
Just goes to show you that all the panic these 'greenies' do is a load of codswallop - mother nature wouldn't be able to do so if wasn't so good!
Lets hope you get a few more tags for next year mate!

Ripp
.577 member

#357435 - 19/10/21 01:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

5 - WOW!

Well Ripp I think you should!
The country down that way must be extremely productive for bears (& everything else obviously ) for them to have such huge families.
Just goes to show you that all the panic these 'greenies' do is a load of codswallop - mother nature wouldn't be able to do so if wasn't so good!
Lets hope you get a few more tags for next year mate!

Your are correct..nature has a way of taking care of itself.. If the area could not sustain the current growth it would eventually correct on its own..The numbers have been increasing for 30 years or more.. There are a lot of big ranches, large tracts of state and Federal lands for those animals to move around in.. along with Yellowstone National Park..

Did a quick search, this gives a quick glance of how big it is..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Yellowstone_Ecosystem

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

#357443 - 19/10/21 10:48 PM

Wow Ripp, the Greater Yellowstone area is bloody huge!
1 & 1/2 times Tasmania or about 1/2 of Victoria - one hell of a lot of land!

Ripp
.577 member

#357774 - 01/11/21 03:06 PM

It’s Time to Acknowledge the ‘Problem Bear’ Reality in the West...

As GYE grizzlies to continue to expand their range, problem bears aren’t going away. It's time to consider a carefully regulated hunt

https://www.outdoorlife.com/opinion/problem-bear-reality-west/

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#357779 - 02/11/21 03:23 AM

They are most certainly expanding their range above the 49th as well.
While in moose camp just up from the Babine Lake, I went for a drive to find fir starter (paper birch) for about 3 hours, and saw 5 different grizzlies. Only once
I saw a sow and cub, while the rest were solo bears, cub-less sows and boars. I never left the roads, yet saw the bears. That was in 2008 or 2009.
Since then, their numbers have gradually increased, and today, there is a moratorium on shooting them, so their numbers will expand at a slightly faster rate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2592

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com