Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Will practical pistol shooting get an exemption?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
Will practical pistol shooting get an exemption?
      #3563 - 03/07/03 10:03 PM

Carr backs pistol packers

Sydney Telegraph
By Mark Skelsey

Jul 2, 2003

IT's one of Australia's most popular and growing pistol sports – to blast metal targets through windows and doors and around corners as if at a crime scene.

Competitors race the clock through a course which looks like a mini-movie set, shooting in a variety of awkward positions, sometimes single-handed.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Premier Bob Carr has suggested the sport to be given an exemption from new nationwide firearm laws – a move, coming on the brink of the proposed nationwide handgun buyback, which has angered anti-gun activists. Under the firearm laws, agreed to by the federal and state governments in December last year, handguns can be used only in target shooting if they are restricted to a maximum .38 calibre.

But some pistol shooting sports can have an exemption from this rule – if federal and state governments agree.

Police Minister John Watkins told State Parliament on June 17 that Mr Carr had written to Prime Minister John Howard on May 29 requesting that the international practical shooting competition (IPSC) be approved as an exempt sport.

"Representatives of NSW handgun target shooters requested that the sport's international practical shooting competition be accredited to use the .45 calibre handgun," Mr Watkins told the Legislative Assembly. "The Premier wrote to the Prime Minister requesting that he consider including this as an accredited sport."

But Mr Howard declined.

IPSC began in California in the 1950s, as an attempt to convert military and law enforcement shooting into a sport.

The sport is designed to replicate a shooting in self-defence.

The courses "simulate sensible hypothetical situations in which firearms might reasonably be used," says the IPSC's international website.

Greens MP Lee Rhiannon said Mr Carr's support for the sport was disgraceful. "The Premier's support for these games of extreme handgun violence goes against his rhetoric about law and order and community safety," she said.

NSW Shooters' Party MP John Tingle said it could be argued that some courses used in IPSC looked like a crime scene.

"But even if it does, so what?" he said.

"All sport shooting is simulation of something, such as hunting, and is about the willpower of trying to get a tiny piece of lead to go where you want it to go."

A spokesman for Mr Watkins that Mr Carr simply decided to "raise the issue" with Mr Howard but had given no "implicit or explicit endorsement of the sporting category involved".

He said he had raised the matter because IPSC was under consideration as an Olympic sport.

Forcing Australian competitors to use .38 handguns could damage their chances of competing at an international level

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Will practical pistol shooting get an exemption? [Re: News]
      #13857 - 22/04/04 04:29 PM

Any news on whether it was approved or not. This sport sounds very interesting, is there anywhere in the ACT that you can do it?

M82A1

HiWall
.275 member

Reged: 01/11/03
Loc: Brisbane, Qld
Re: Will practical pistol shooting get an exemption? [Re: M82A1Barret50Cal]
      #18140 - 18/08/04 07:01 PM

No expemption to the .38 calibre law was granted to IPSC/Practical pistol competition shooters - these guns were the main targets of the new laws.

To the best of my knowledge exemptions were only granted for two target disciplines and licences (in Queensland at least) are able to be endorsed to and including .45 calibre for Handgun Silhouette and Western/Cowboy shooting competition. I do believe that a lot of .44Mag Desert Eagles are appearing on the Field Pistol (Silhouette) range.

SaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: South Australia, Australia
Re: Will practical pistol shooting get an exemptio [Re: HiWall]
      #19215 - 14/09/04 04:33 PM

loks like those sons of B*TCHES ARE AT IT AGAIN!

Why the hell dont they just leave us alone damn it!

Im sorry about my anger but i cant stand our goverments gun laws! in western australia its illegal to play paintball!! WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO!

We need the Nra over here and bring ur AR-15's and ak-47's with you

--------------------
Acquiring a milsurp rifle is a lot like dating. If the appearance is pleasing, you pick it up. Upon further examination, if you like the feel and smell of it, you take it home.

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Will practical pistol shooting get an exemptio [Re: SaHunter]
      #19487 - 28/09/04 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info, just after I read it I was down at the local newsagent and picked up a copy of Australian & New Zealand Handgun: Issue 2. It had an article about how ISPC was coping with the loss of .38+ cals, aparently not too well. I think we need a stronger lobbying group for us shooters because at the moment SSAA just aren't doing enough, as much as I respect them, we are still getting new, stricter laws thrown at us left, right and center. I AGREE, BRING US THE NRA!!! I think they can leave their ak-47's behind though

M82A1

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4388

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com