Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE
      #356196 - 20/08/21 07:06 AM

HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE..

When it comes to choosing a rifle scope there are a plethora of features and functions to consider. In all honesty there are too many to consider them all. The first step in deciding what you are looking for in a rifle scope is understanding what the various features bring to the table. At that point you can start making an informed decision based on which features are important to your style of hunting or shooting and which features you don’t need to prioritize.

We have compiled a list of notable features to consider and broken them down so you can be as informed and knowledgeable as possible when making your next purchase. We will also cover topics that you should know to get the most out of your current scope like how to mount it to a rifle properly and how to boresight to save some time at the range. Here are just a few of the most important features that we will cover.

https://outdoorsmans.com/blogs/rifle-sco..._eid=5e0f591461

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE [Re: Ripp]
      #356202 - 20/08/21 08:43 AM

The main thing we should ask first is 'what are you really doing with this rifle', then all this will come into play. No good putting on a very high magnification scope with all the whiz bangs on a rifle that will only ever shoot perhaps 50 yards or so!
We are starting to see a lot of younger folks out at our range, including young ladies which is marvellous. Their partner normally has them out for the first shoot with a .308 or they may have some experience with a 22LR. The young bucks may think its fun to boot his girlfriend from one side of the shed to the other for a lark, only for the club to never to see her again!
I have over the years got these young ladies aside & started them on say my 223, explaining to them first what do you want in a rifle, what different types of events we have, showing them or pointing out the different rifles so that they understand & that we're on the same page.
Its not uncommon to see a young one ask the range officer about a certain rifle types, mostly someone is there with what they asking about & the owner will normally give them a go of their own personal rifle.
Most of my gear is nothing really flash but with a little coaching they do surprisingly well considering their experience, some have even shot the pants off their hubbies! Gets the blokes a bit huffy, but when you mention that they'll now have to get another rifle for the missus the cogs get turning - win win situation.

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE [Re: 93x64mm]
      #356217 - 20/08/21 03:24 PM

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.spottinggame

And there ends the lesson.

Rod

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE [Re: Rod4861]
      #356222 - 20/08/21 07:44 PM

Quote:

Rod

Amen to that.

The only thing I would add is buy the best glass you can. MY aging eyes pick the difference far better than my young eyes did.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE [Re: Rod4861]
      #356228 - 21/08/21 01:42 AM

Quote:

Rod

THAT is also a good article..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE [Re: Ripp]
      #356232 - 21/08/21 03:11 AM

I especially appreciate this section.
"
Tips: Selecting Riflescopes

Be careful not to purchase too much magnification. Too much power can lead you to believe an animal is within range when, in fact, it is too far away for a responsible shot. High magnification scopes are heavier and, because of their large front lens diameter, they must be mounted higher on the rifle. The higher the magnification, the smaller the area that you can see through the scope (field of view). This can lead to an embarrassing situation if you leave the scope on high magnification when hunting. You may be so close to an animal that at high power all you see is hair.

You don't need a variable scope. A fixed 4-power scope will help you place the shot in the vital zone. Fixed power riflescopes are less expensive than variable scopes and often more reliable. If you want a variable scope, select one with 6- to 8-power for the high end of magnification. Variables such as 1.5-6 or 1-8 have a wide fields of view that allow for quick and accurate shots at close range."

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT RIFLE SCOPE [Re: DarylS]
      #356262 - 21/08/21 02:18 PM

Quote:

I especially appreciate this section.
"
Tips: Selecting Riflescopes

Be careful not to purchase too much magnification. Too much power can lead you to believe an animal is within range when, in fact, it is too far away for a responsible shot. High magnification scopes are heavier and, because of their large front lens diameter, they must be mounted higher on the rifle. The higher the magnification, the smaller the area that you can see through the scope (field of view). This can lead to an embarrassing situation if you leave the scope on high magnification when hunting. You may be so close to an animal that at high power all you see is hair.

You don't need a variable scope. A fixed 4-power scope will help you place the shot in the vital zone. Fixed power riflescopes are less expensive than variable scopes and often more reliable. If you want a variable scope, select one with 6- to 8-power for the high end of magnification. Variables such as 1.5-6 or 1-8 have a wide fields of view that allow for quick and accurate shots at close range."

I personally believe those power ranges suggested depends on what you are hunting. Or if you are target shooting, your choice may differ.

When hunting p-dogs for instance.. and attempting shots on them 400+ yards.. 8 power may work but 16 will work better.. I have used a 4-14 power range for over 20 years for most of my hunting. Personally I find that perfect for what and where I hunt such as mule deer or pronghorn .. Africa, different story.. prefer a 1-6 and is what is on most of my African rifles..

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com