Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR
      #355618 - 28/07/21 06:03 AM

www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/a-new-westley-richards-404-jeffery-take-down-emerges/

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #355623 - 28/07/21 07:38 AM

That is one sweet rifle!
Fancy timber for sure, but boy what a job on the finish....spectacular!

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: 93x64mm]
      #355631 - 28/07/21 09:43 PM

Perfection in a bolt rifle to my eyes!!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: degoins]
      #355632 - 29/07/21 01:09 AM

Bloody marvelous!

Certainly makes up for that all-weather tupperware thing we were subjected to last week!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: Marrakai]
      #355659 - 30/07/21 02:24 AM

A lovely looking rifle. But question - how is the barrel actually attached to the fore-end and the latching mechanism? Is there a lug on the underside the barrel to which this is all secured. And will the barrel be free floating, or fully bedded.

With a normal barrel into the action, the barrel is screwed really very tightly - as in barrel held in a barrel vice and action turned with long leavers, whereas in a takedown it looks as this will simply hand tightened and loosened. I suppose that given the latching mechanism, there is no chance of the barrel loosening in every day use, whereas with a "normal" rifle it is only the tighness that prevents the barrel from loosening. It would be interesting to see one of these rifles in parts so see how it all works, or even the original patent drawings.

I suppose there is nothing to stop the rifle from firing before the barrel is fully tightened - I assume that the bolt lugs bed into the Mauser action, rather than the barrel. You would be getting very long headspace. Given that it is a Mauser action, the case will be held against the bolt face by the extractor, so the cartridge would fire, case would expand and grip chamber, bullet would go down the barrel and the case would lengthen or even split. In the latter case the design of the Mauser action would direct all the gases well away. Probably soiled underpants, and accuracy a bit off but no lasting damage.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: HeymSR20]
      #355669 - 30/07/21 07:01 PM

Quote:

A lovely looking rifle. But question - how is the barrel actually attached to the fore-end and the latching mechanism? Is there a lug on the underside the barrel to which this is all secured. And will the barrel be free floating, or fully bedded.

With a normal barrel into the action, the barrel is screwed really very tightly - as in barrel held in a barrel vice and action turned with long leavers, whereas in a takedown it looks as this will simply hand tightened and loosened. I suppose that given the latching mechanism, there is no chance of the barrel loosening in every day use, whereas with a "normal" rifle it is only the tighness that prevents the barrel from loosening. It would be interesting to see one of these rifles in parts so see how it all works, or even the original patent drawings.

I suppose there is nothing to stop the rifle from firing before the barrel is fully tightened - I assume that the bolt lugs bed into the Mauser action, rather than the barrel. You would be getting very long headspace. Given that it is a Mauser action, the case will be held against the bolt face by the extractor, so the cartridge would fire, case would expand and grip chamber, bullet would go down the barrel and the case would lengthen or even split. In the latter case the design of the Mauser action would direct all the gases well away. Probably soiled underpants, and accuracy a bit off but no lasting damage.

There are threads on takedowns and the mechanisms. No really detailed photos I think though. Some of the forend removed showing the thread etc.

From a more than interested layman ... I looked into having a rifle like this in 1985 or thereabouts. A Kiwi outfitter Brian Harre was making them on Winchester actions. I would have loved to get one, with three different barrels.

When I bought my Whotworth .375 it was supposed to be converted to a takedown. But after buying it the gunshop advised against it. NO WONDER! John Saunders the seller, sold me a rifle with the thread cut on the barrel at an ANGLE!!! It shot a foot to the side at a hundred metres even with the scope fully wound over. Even experts did not see the angle until pointed out - "what is wrong with this rifle? - when pointed out it is very obvious. Kudu Services fixed it for me, by making custom QD mount bases angled for the barrel, not the action, and with a groove allowing the open sights to be seen as well.

I solved my takedown mania, partially, by acquiring TWO Mauser M03's with four barrels. I want more barrels! Scarce now.

When I win lotto I will acquire a number of custom made Mauser type takedowns with multiple or not barrels.

You have hit on a key point. The best systems are when the bolt locks up in the barrel/barrel collar NOT the action as in the typical Mauser 98 takedwon. It is more secure, and more reliable, safe proof locking in the barrel. The Dakota takedowns did this. A lot of modern action takedowns do this. I BELIEVE some Mauser types are modified to do this. I love the Mauser 98 design. If a M98 was modified like this, it would be very different to the normal M98.

Back to the M98 takedowns.

One system is where the whole action is designed to be removed from a stock easily.

The system above is probably akin to the following.
- the thread on the barrel is "eased" so it can be unscrewed by hand.
- some takedowns utilise an 'eased" full thread. Some have grooves cut through the thread, so the forend can be pushed on, and then screwed sideways a bit to lock it in place.
- there would be a catch, probably underneath, which locks the forend and barrel in place when fully screwed in.
- the barrel is not free floating in the forend. At the very least it is attached to the forend at the rear part with metal work and the catch in the forend.
- a takedown could be a single chambering and forend. Very useful for travelling. It can be carried in a shotgun sized case. Or even in the old days, in a solid suitcase. Excellent for travel on trains, buses, carrying in hotels etc etc, no one needs to know a person is carrying their hunting rifle.
- or a takedown such as this could have multiple barrels, if the cartridges work in the same magazine and use the same bolt head. Modern designs have exchangeable bolt heads or bolts and also different magazines. So I can use a .222 and a .404 in my Mauser M03's.

A downside of takedowns and possibly especially Mauser 98 takedowns is return to zero. Does the rifle return to zero well? Same as QD scopes? Test one's rifle out to see. If a .222 for head shooting rabbits, an inch at a hundred yards may mean missing a rabbits head. An inch on a 8mm does not mean much if shooting a deer. I do test shoot my ,222 usually if putting it back on.

Another more serious concern for the Mauser 98 takedown design is the thread is said to wear overtime. Or could wear. I seriously doubt this is a problem for most people. Unless they play with it, taking it off and on again repeatedly. For a single barrel takedown, really it is probably only disassembled when travelling.

The bolt lockup in the barrel modification avoids this problem.

I love the idea. When I win Lotto I will have made several custom rifles and barrels.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (31/07/21 05:06 PM)

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: NitroX]
      #355678 - 31/07/21 08:02 AM

Thanks NitroX.

I think this may be the epitome of a Mauser 98 Takedown. No threads on the action, the lugs are on the barrel tenon. And barrel is locked in with a simple latch, but the major locking comes from the bolt.

https://youtu.be/0acWBALWG5w

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: HeymSR20]
      #355682 - 31/07/21 11:34 AM

Wow! Those Austrian boys are the future of Euro gun-making, no question. Fool-proof Mauser takedown design, too.

Great to see relatively new gun-making companies doing well.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: Marrakai]
      #355686 - 31/07/21 05:15 PM

Quote:

I think this may be the epitome of a Mauser 98 Takedown. No threads on the action, the lugs are on the barrel tenon. And barrel is locked in with a simple latch, but the major locking comes from the bolt.

https://youtu.be/0acWBALWG5w

WOW! A Mauser 98 design redesigned with a box magazine and a takedown design with yhe bolt looking up in a barrel collar, the basic model $25,000. And a model, with engraving, excellent wood and removable magazine for $45,000!

I think their prices will go up.

Three young gunmakers starting the business in 2011.

Hausmann & Co - Best Austrian Guns

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: A magnificent Take-Down rifle in 404 Jeffery by WR [Re: NitroX]
      #355692 - 31/07/21 10:34 PM

Nothing new under the sun.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showthreaded.php?Number=326671

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2606

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com