Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SxS double rifle .577 NE 3" plus 10 Ga 3 1/2" Mag two barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
SxS double rifle .577 NE 3" plus 10 Ga 3 1/2" Mag two barrel
      #355586 - 27/07/21 12:53 AM

I just saw this on GunBroker and thought someone may be interested. I am not sure about building a 577NE on a 10 ga mag action. Also I am not sure why one would want a 577NE with mini-shoulders but the ad says it also shoots 577NE.

The ad is located at https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/906530832

The verbiage is as follows:

Custom .577 NE 3" (modified *) barrels built to fit Zabala Hermanos "Royal Crown Magnum" 10 gauge platform, interchangeable with original 10 ga 3 1/2" chambered barrels. Coin finish on receiver. Box lock action with double underlug and Greener cross-bolt. Lockup tight and on face with both sets of barrels. Double triggers; LOP 13 1/2" to rear trigger, 14 3/8" to front trigger. Extractors only for both rifle and shotgun. Weight: 16lbs with 24" rifle barrels ; 13 1/2lbs with 32" shotgun barrels.
*.577 chambers have been modified with slight shoulder added to extend case life for reloading. Factory ammunition may be used. Custom reloading dies included as well as fired cases.
Rifle barrels: Blued with small area of bluing rubbed off on left side of mid-rib anchor band and left barrel (see photo). Independently adjustable barrel regulation (see muzzle photos). Currently regulated for cast bullet loads. Front sight accepts commercially available interchangeable sights. Mid-rib drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Commercially available aperture rear sight body on custom base. Excellent bores (see photos).
Shotgun barrels: Factory original bluing appears to be 98% or better with no visible areas of wear. Choked Full/Full with silver front bead and white mid-rib bead. Bores are bright and shiny.
Stock: Adjustable comb height on buttstock. Magnum recoil pad. Buttstock has some scratches and handling marks in the finish (see photos). Wood is sound with cross-bolts added for strength. Forend metal must be switched between forends when changing barrels.

--------------------
RB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: SxS double rifle .577 NE 3" plus 10 Ga 3 1/2" Mag two barrel [Re: 85lc]
      #355588 - 27/07/21 05:19 AM

Visually just not my cup of tea, but has potential for someone who really wants a .577NE double at a fairly reasonable price.
Wondering if the firing pins and bushings are altered to nominal rifle diameter…..one would hope so.
I don't get the mini shoulder necked case thing as I have never had case life issues with my .577's
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: SxS double rifle .577 NE 3" plus 10 Ga 3 1/2" Mag two barrel [Re: 3DogMike]
      #355592 - 27/07/21 07:36 AM

Everything Mike just said!

I should add that when the subject of .577 DRs on shotgun actions was discussed here in the distant past, I got my hands on a Zabala and discovered two interesting things:

- the width across the breech-face of the Zabala 10-bore was a couple of mm less than the width of a 12-bore Greener Empire!

- the extra weight of the 'big ten' was simply due to a couple of lumps of scrap iron inserted into the buttstock!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: SxS double rifle .577 NE 3" plus 10 Ga 3 1/2" Mag two barrel [Re: Marrakai]
      #355617 - 28/07/21 03:09 AM

Marrakai, that is amazing info about the Zabala 10 bore. I just assumed it was an extra robust action. I posted it thinking this was a not very attractive but fully functional 577NE that someone could take to Alaska or Africa without any worry about damaging a fine gun.

--------------------
RB

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: SxS double rifle .577 NE 3" plus 10 Ga 3 1/2" Mag two barrel [Re: 85lc]
      #355624 - 28/07/21 09:01 AM

Hey, no worries 85lc, that Zabala has been worked over pretty well during the DR build, and one could be pretty confident the scrap iron in the buttstock (if in fact they all had it) would be long gone!

If I can find the actual breech measurements of the Zabala 10-bore I measured-up, I'll add them here, but it was a long time ago..

The point is that modern steel alloys and design allow a lighter action to be built safely these days, and I am not calling in to question the quality or safety aspects of the rebuild. Quite sure it would be fine for the purpose and as you say, a great affordable alternative to the escalating cost of an original .577.

Thanks for posting it.

OK, went for a look: in an earlier post I stated the measurement across the breech-face was ~3mm less than an Empire 12, and that the chamber wall thickness of the Fat Lady, at the breech-face, was 0.26 inch. It would be interesting to know same for the advertised Zabala, but on simple mathematics one might expect 0.23 inch, still plenty!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Edited by Marrakai (28/07/21 09:53 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 737

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com