Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: O.K. To Shoot Steel Through Old Shotguns???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
O.K. To Shoot Steel Through Old Shotguns???
      #355245 - 17/07/21 03:17 AM

Turns Out, It’s OK to Shoot Steel Through Old Shotguns (Sort of)

Officials in the UK have found that older nitro-proofed guns can shoot certain types of steel loads without a problem

BY PHIL BOURJAILY | UPDATED JUL 16, 2021

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/shooting-steel-through-old-shotguns-approved

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: O.K. To Shoot Steel Through Old Shotguns??? [Re: Ripp]
      #355257 - 17/07/21 06:16 AM

Interesting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: O.K. To Shoot Steel Through Old Shotguns??? [Re: DarylS]
      #355273 - 17/07/21 12:40 PM

The point that is made, but not elaborated on so much as is the difference between standard and high performance steel loadings, is that modified (half) choke should be the maximum constriction if using steel.

Choking is the main reason why many older shotguns are not suitable for steel shot. The older guns had fixed chokes and most often were tighter choked e.g. full and full or maybe improved modified (3/4) and full. This is the issue and it would likely be a little expensive to have the chokes opened up to use steel, likely cheaper to purchase another gun with screw in chokes.

Not all 'modern' shotguns that can shoot both standard or high performance have the fleur-de-lis proof mark. Browning, Miroku and Winchester shotguns made by Miroku with invector type chokes can safely use high performance shot even without the fleur-de-lis proofing.

The below taken from the Browning website;

"All hunting or sporting shotguns (over-and-under or semi-auto guns) by Browning, Winchester and Miroku fitted with the original chokes (Invector, Steel Invector Plus, Stainless steel Invector Plus, Teague, Briley, Midas, Diamond, Signature chokes) can fire "high performance" steel shot cartridges.

Tested at the Liège test bench (high performance 1370 bars) in accordance with European law on the use of steel shot"

I've used high performance steel in my 1984 Miroku O/U gun for years now without any ill effects. I usually use the skeet or improved cylinder (1/4) invector chokes depending what I'm hunting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: O.K. To Shoot Steel Through Old Shotguns??? [Re: eagle27]
      #355280 - 17/07/21 03:32 PM

What happens when your shooting organisation sells out hunters and shooters to ridiculous govt demans ... BASC I think it is, decided to agree to a complete phase out of lead shot for game shooting by a future date.

Rendering many existing shotguns used for game shooting obsolete and in future useless.

If only Bismuth could become commercial more available and at a cheaper price.

The reason the shooting organisation betrayed British shooters was even after BREXIT the UK still kowtows to EU demands. The EU bans lead shot game meat. As many large shoots and game meat buyers export their birds to the EU for human consumption, these exports are threatened if any of the birds may have been shot with lead shot. So the BASC and others are insisting on only steel shot in the future.

MAYBE on the plus side we might be able to buy some really nice shotguns designed only for lead shot! I would love a H&H or Purdey, WR or some other vintage side by side or even braces of them, at a fraction of today's prices.

NO DOUBT our antis will try to bring this sort of BS to Australia and the USA/Can as well. I will ffffing use my guns no matter on private property anyway.

Quote:

tighter choked e.g. full and full or maybe improved modified (3/4) and full

Almost every shotgun I have or have used with fixed chokes seems to be choked as such It is very annoying. Full and full seems to be the normal, even extra full. Three-quarter is the minimum.

The exception is my Tikka U/O with exchangable chokes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1044

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com