Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Unusual Remington Model 30

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Unusual Remington Model 30 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #354852 - 04/07/21 07:42 PM

Such a bolt hold-down spring is neither unique nor novel for the 1920s. If the bolt handle of a cock-on -closing bolt action is inadvertently raised, the bolt will jump open and eject the loaded cartridge.
To prevent this, gunmakers sometimes added similar devices to such actions. Here is a photo of a very early cock on closing Mauser 97 transitional action, Mauser commercial serial number 17, used by Sauer & Sohn to build an early sporter, with such a spring added.

I know two such early S&S Mausers, both with such devices added on.
All commercial production Mannlicher-Schoenauers have a flt spring built into the right side of the receiver bridge, serving the same purpose.

BTW, this spring distinguishes commercial production M-S actions from the military production M1903 actions.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Unusual Remington Model 30 [Re: kuduae]
      #354891 - 05/07/21 09:10 AM

Quote:

Such a bolt hold-down spring is neither unique nor novel for the 1920s. If the bolt handle of a cock-on -closing bolt action is inadvertently raised, the bolt will jump open and eject the loaded cartridge.
To prevent this, gunmakers sometimes added similar devices to such actions. Here is a photo of a very early cock on closing Mauser 97 transitional action, Mauser commercial serial number 17, used by Sauer & Sohn to build an early sporter, with such a spring added.

I know two such early S&S Mausers, both with such devices added on.
All commercial production Mannlicher-Schoenauers have a flt spring built into the right side of the receiver bridge, serving the same purpose.

BTW, this spring distinguishes commercial production M-S actions from the military production M1903 actions.

Those are very interesting.

I can attest to the need. My son once had a problem {he shoots lefty, too by the way} with a tang safety Ruger 7x57 M77. Brought the rifle up to shoot an elk and it went "Thud". Bolt had opened just enough to disengage the action so the rifle would not fire. He didn't notice it before he pulled the trigger. So yeah, it's a thing and it can happen.

I'd be curious to know just how many other lefties have experienced this problem?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8966

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com