Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Yards or Feet

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Yards or Feet
      #354808 - 03/07/21 02:47 PM

On a discussion of the Nitro Express Facebook Group page one person is adamantly claimung express sights such as these with astanding leaf for 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 is in FEET not yards.

What do you think?

First time I have heard this claim.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (03/07/21 04:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Yards or Feet *DELETED* [Re: NitroX]
      #354810 - 03/07/21 04:01 PM

Post deleted by grandveneur

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: grandveneur]
      #354811 - 03/07/21 05:05 PM

I call them optimistic at best.

500 yards with a big bore double, that's definitely optimistic.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Yards or Feet *DELETED* [Re: 260rem]
      #354815 - 03/07/21 05:47 PM

Post deleted by grandveneur

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: grandveneur]
      #354818 - 03/07/21 10:07 PM

I have made replacement leaves more than once and they are in yards.
I doubt that those guns were ever shot at those ranges at the factory except they may have filed in the first leaf.
Once you have the first zero, the math tends to work.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/How_to_adjust_an_iron_sight
or
https://www.dillonprecision.com/sight-correction-calculator.html

The equation is simple enough and it puts you roughly in the correct place, ammo dependent of course.

Cheers

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: Tom_H]
      #354821 - 03/07/21 10:55 PM

Quote:

I have made replacement leaves more than once and they are in yards.
I doubt that those guns were ever shot at those ranges at the factory except they may have filed in the first leaf.
Once you have the first zero, the math tends to work.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/How_to_adjust_an_iron_sight
or
https://www.dillonprecision.com/sight-correction-calculator.html

The equation is simple enough and it puts you roughly in the correct place, ammo dependent of course.

Cheers

Tom

Thank you for the info..I had always considered them to be yards or meters.. have never heard anyone say they were feet..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: NitroX]
      #354827 - 03/07/21 11:59 PM

Quote:

On a discussion of the Nitro Express Facebook Group page one person is adamantly claimung express sights such as these with astanding leaf for 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 is in FEET not yards.

What do you think?

First time I have heard this claim.

I've always read yards, but seriously, in some ways it makes much more sense for a looping trajectory rifle to have sights set up for feet and for those to quit at 500. It seems quite a bit more reasonable for sights on a heavy rifle to cease and desist at 500 feet THAN 500 YARDS!

BTW, Nitro, the same applies to old tangent sights on Mauser, Luger and Browning High Power pistols. We have done quite a bit of long range shooting with pistols on the home range here and such sighting is pretty absurd as much as for the fact that they never seem to be calibrated for any known load as for the ranges involved. Using them we just ignored the numbers and set the sights for POI. Our best performer at 300 when we were doing such stunts was chrome plated bringback Luger with fixed sights which you just held for a dangling branch over the steel plate and crunched the trigger {that's what you do w/ Luger triggers...}. A "ding" was almost a guarantee!!

Always wondered if a truly adjustable rear sight on that thing might have eliminated the need for the fir branch!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: 9.3x57]
      #354829 - 04/07/21 01:20 AM

"....Facebook Group page one person is adamantly claiming....."

Lots of self appointed "experts" on Facebook. This particular one is either totally unread or uneducated/ignorant and does not wish to learn. ie: thick as a brick and proud of it.

All one would have to do (if they did not want to actually research for themselves) is initiate a polite contact to any of the current British gunmakers to confirm that the sights are marked in YARDS, or in the case of Continental makers probably in METERS.

As an historical aside, the leaf sights to 500+ yards were not mere window dressing. Back "in the day" (particularly in South Africa) it was acceptable to blaze off at a herd on the plains that might have been 500 yards away and too hard to stalk closer......if an animal went down, that was all that mattered. Not sporting at all by todays standards, but back then it was business as usual.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: 3DogMike]
      #354831 - 04/07/21 02:09 AM

Imagine that, self appointed experts finding away to be heard. Theres a reason courts in the US and I suppose elsewhere do NOT accept internet reported "facts". If its not published in print form its not acceptable as admissible evidence. The court views internet "facts" as akin to a homeless guy roaming the streets wearing a sign that says the end of the world is coming OR perhaps more appropriately a guy sitting in his underwear in mother's basement with a laptop on his knees--they both may be true just hard to accept....

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #354835 - 04/07/21 03:29 AM

I concur with 3DogMike. Sights were set in yards in US and in UK and in meters on the continent.

Also I read that the extreme long range sights were used in South Africa for lobbing bullets at unfriendly natives.

I can understand someone who doesn't read about guns or hunting thinking that the sights must be in feet after looking at a rifle with a somewhat rainbow trajectory that has sights going out to 900. However, it would be better for that person to do some basic reading before opining.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: 85lc]
      #354846 - 04/07/21 04:55 PM

I thought iot was worth casting for differing opinions to see if it was ever the case.

Myself NEVER seen before the claim of feet not yards or metres being the measurement.

The writer is a German or Austrian. I deduce from his weitings he may be confused as "feet" being British and "yards" not being so? eg "These rifles were made for the British is Inida, so feet were used, not yards". Huh? The British use feet AND yard.

The original image was an Australia guy who has acquired a clamshell double rifle in .404 Jeffery where the express sight runs from 100 to 500 I believe in metres.

I will post the images. Anthony the owner is interested in information on his rifle. He will use it in the future for water buffalo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Yards or Feet [Re: NitroX]
      #354899 - 05/07/21 01:32 PM

Historically:
British (& USA) artillery and infantry up thru Vietnam era used YARDS.
USA & Brit rifle competition used YARDS....Later the Continent used METERS
Submarine and surface warfare used YARDS (or later) METERS
Undoubtedly after "metrification" the Continental countries use METERS.

As far as I know India, Pakistan, and whomever else pre independence used YARDS....Brit military/sporting influence

Could this Clot from Germany or Austria give ONE example of a country or it's sportsmen that measured rifle ranges in "FEET"? .....I thought not.
One does not even state pistol ranges in FEET for Pete's sake........(knives maybe, but not firearms)
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2302

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com