Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How do you hold a Howdah

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
How do you hold a Howdah
      #354493 - 22/06/21 12:51 AM

This not so much a scientific question of shooting style but more a question of how do YOU hold under stress. My best guess is that in actual use a Howdah was a one handed and thrust forward style with maybe a slight cant, not quite ghetto but a natural inward cant. Theres a physiological reason for this, try pointing your finger at an object on the wall, then look at your hand. It wont be in the 90 degree classic handgun position because that requires additional fine motor muscle use to twist the hand upright. In stress as in a tiger is climbing up your elephant, there wont be any Olympic pose with your left hand in your back pocket, nor will there be a classic Weaver or Isosceles; hell chances are youll be holding on the the basket with your off hand while trying not to fall.

So back to the Howdah, Ive seen modern photos of guys using a two hand Dirty Harry grip and others using a hand forward grip but rarely do I see the "Oh Shite" hold. Im guilty of much the same. When handgun hunting or self defense shooting I tell myself a two hand hold is the best and use it when time permits an aimed shot BUT in every actual stress of an up close charge when shooting against 4 or 2 legged animals I found myself in a "half homie" at least until I could adjust to something more classic.

The next time youre practicing try picturing being startled by a charge and mentally count the time it takes to assume your perfect stance vs grabbing and thrusting the gun at the target AND if youre on firm ground taking a couple steps to the side.

Handguns are dynamic use weapons and none more so then a Howdah

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Edited by EDELWEISS (22/06/21 02:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 382

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com