Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 222 "Solid Boar"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
222 "Solid Boar"
      #354357 - 15/06/21 08:13 PM

Put in the km's this arvo for a lone boar feeding 300m from the car. got Styer to stay as I got closer. Bit of creeping forward on his behalf. At 45m I took a rest and waited for a angled shot into his neck. At the shot the boar lurched up into the air and took off. Tracked him thru the paperbarks and picked a gap , and took the shot as the scope went passed his nose. piled up nicely with a neck shot. Very satisfying.
Huge boar in prime condition. both shoulders weighed 25kgs. Very thick fighting pads. Stoked!
heres a few pics, cheers Mick
sako L46 222 nosler 50gr shots Styer being difficult

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 222 "Solid Boar" [Re: 264]
      #354358 - 15/06/21 09:04 PM

That is one solid boar there Mick!
Not big tusks, but in one hell of a lot of condition - been eating bloody well that one!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 222 "Solid Boar" [Re: 93x64mm]
      #354359 - 15/06/21 09:29 PM

Good solid big boar Mick.

You wanted to stick it to my comments that medium calibres are needed for the often bigger Top End boars. Ha ha.

Joking above and of course shot placement is most important in any hunting calibre choice.

Love that stutzen stocked rifle. Long barrel for a full wood to the muzzle.

BTW what projectiles do you use? 50 gr what?

I still have ancient stocks of the 55 gr Nosler Solid Bases from many years ago. Largely stopped using the .222 for medium game due to all the medium calibres available. I wonder what makes a good smaller medium game bullet in a .222 nowadays? What brands and choices?

Can I ask you for a thread on what to look for in terms of eating meat from feral pigs in Australian feral pigs? You are one of the few guys that regularly seem to talk about taking emat from feral pigs. Usually a couple of legs. Do you look at the organs at all? Or do you consider this irrelevant for taking a shoulder and leg? I would love an NE discussion on this and especially photos to illustrate the difference between healthy internal organs, diseased internal organs, other physique considerations for the use of feral shot pork. From yourself, and others and the internet as members can contribute.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 222 "Solid Boar" [Re: NitroX]
      #354361 - 15/06/21 10:53 PM

Great to see the "new" Sako getting a work-out.
Certainly pushing that calibre to the limit!
I've bagged a few pigs with my L46 in the past, while culling macropods on permit, but nothing like that stonker!
Well done mate.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: 222 "Solid Boar" [Re: Marrakai]
      #354362 - 15/06/21 11:32 PM

Really well done Mick and good to see that you making good use of the little L46; you proved that what may be seen as "not enough gun" can dispatch heavy and resistant game providing that shots are well placed!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

.375 member

Re: 222 "Solid Boar" [Re: Louis]
      #354368 - 16/06/21 11:19 AM

Quote:

Really well done Mick and good to see that you making good use of the little L46; you proved that what may be seen as "not enough gun" can dispatch heavy and resistant game providing that shots are well placed!
Louis

Very worried when he didn't drop at the first shot. Second was in the right place for drop and finished when I got to him. Gave him an extra whilst kicking out. Margin is burnt so I was prepared for a chase down. Very satisfying with the little gun.

.375 member

Re: 222 "Solid Boar" [Re: NitroX]
      #354369 - 16/06/21 11:50 AM

I mostly take meat from the pigs for dog food. Occasionally I will take a young pig for meat.
It all starts with good country. If the pigs are of good country i.e. floodplains the condition of the animal is reflected to its enviroment.
Food rich environment and medium density numbers of animals domestic and feral, usually has pigs in great condition I still inspect most for worms Very common on country shared with cattle for round worms.
Harder country , more likely to be eating carcasses I will not consider taking a animal for meat. High risk of tape worm.
Dogs are wormed every 10 weeks with a all round worm treatment and a extra for tape worm. Heart worm included.
Heres some pics
sow of floodplains, decided to take the meat for dogs. On opening decided to take the back straps Exceptional / fat and tender.

huge fat sow great condition very good back straps

opening for back straps above sow

Hard country pigs, look okay?

Tape worms in stomach

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1247

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com