Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Serious "Boar"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Serious "Boar"
      #353922 - 31/05/21 08:45 PM

Decided to look at the local today. Mainly to check water levels and sign.

Found some great tracks and very fresh so followed them out towards the floodplain, to a good feeding spot.

Heard something so stopped and listened, hard to hear anything as the burdikens were making a racket.

Kept on going and one set of tracks stood out, they were massive. Had just come out of some thick stuff and looked up to a boar feeding in the alli acceris. 50m head down shoulders deep in the mud. Id stuffed up in this location before so while the wind was good I moved in to about 25m and took a rest on a branch.

Texas shot and the boar roared and thrashed the reeds as he went down, a few kicks and it was all over by the time I Got to him. Cracker boar and definitely his tracks I had been following.

Few pics after struggling to roll him into position.

Took a front leg and rear for the dogs. 22kg's on the scales. Well over a 100kg's dressed

Rem 338-06 185 GMX

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: 264]
      #353923 - 31/05/21 09:14 PM

Geez mate - no wonder you had trouble moving the sod!
Bloody corker alright, more than enough in the hooks department too!

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: 93x64mm]
      #353926 - 31/05/21 10:56 PM

Short of DG in Afrika, my favorite is Wild Boar. Best is hunting them on foot but Ill take sitting in a blind too. I havent tried a Helicopter hunt and Im not so sure its what ai want anymore, although there was a time where I toyed with it. I have done night hunts with and without night vision. Now I much prefer without as its not about the kill or filling the tag. For me its about the HUNT.

On my first hunt a bad bullet and a bad shot caused the Boar to charge. With a single shot things got exciting FAST. I stopped it just a step or two away. I think thats why I love Wild Boar hunting so much!

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #353931 - 31/05/21 11:59 PM

Quality tusker there, Mick.
Nicely done.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: Marrakai]
      #353939 - 01/06/21 05:52 AM

Very serious boar. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
RB

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: 85lc]
      #353941 - 01/06/21 06:07 AM

Toothy bastard, nasty looking.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: tinker]
      #353947 - 01/06/21 04:52 PM

Nice big monster boar in mosquitoville.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: NitroX]
      #353998 - 03/06/21 08:37 PM

Serious boar indeed Mick, congratulations on harvesting this one.
Were European-type wild boars released in Oz in the XIX and XX century, or do feral hogs progressively return with time to the original wild type?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

.375 member

Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: Louis]
      #354053 - 05/06/21 09:31 AM

Don't think any European wild boar were released here. Ours are from domesticated lines reverting back to feral pigs.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: 264]
      #354064 - 05/06/21 06:20 PM

Thank you Mick.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Serious "Boar" [Re: Louis]
      #354078 - 06/06/21 02:21 AM

Quote:

Serious boar indeed Mick, congratulations on harvesting this one.
Were European-type wild boars released in Oz in the XIX and XX century, or do feral hogs progressively return with time to the original wild type?
Louis

To my knowledge no wild boar were ever introduced into Australia.

Pigs escaped from farms, became feral and over time the black colouring becomes more common as does some other wild appearance aspects.

In Northern Australia the feral pigs have become more and more "boar" like in appearance. Perhaps Northern feral pigs carry some genes from Asian domesticated pigs which accentuated their wilder appearance. Certainly the average feral pigs in Northern Australia tends to be more boar like and also more often uniformly black. The Northern size maybe accenterated by quality feed in the tropical landscapes. Where I hunted pigs in Western part of the Top End we shot some 30 male boars, all black and many considerable size. A herd of some 300 feral pigs all were black. On a floodplain of mixed thick sward grassland, mud and water underneath swards of thick grass. We managed to get stuck in the mud in a Jeep Wrangler some hundred metres out. Took a couple of hours to jack the Jeep up, put logs underneath the tyres, and lay paperbark log tracks to get the vehicle out. The paperbark tree logs had to be sourced about a kilometre away in the wetlands.

In the South, feral pigs are usually smaller and can be all sorts of colour, black, piebald, white, spotted etc. Most are a lot smaller than the Northern examples. Hunters use all sorts of rifles, from .22 Magnums, .223's, to medium centrefires. For the Top End pigs and Far North Queensland feral pigs a medium calibre is called for. One or more of our NE members hunted on pig culls in Northen Western Australia and shot many hundreds of feral pigs, per trip, I assume these were similar to the Top End pigs but can't verify.

On Kangaroo Island off the coast of South Australia, the feral pigs were introduced by whalers perhaps early in settlement, or before? Whalers and sealers released goats and pigs on islands as a possible food source in case of shipwreck and being marooned. Kangaroo Island feral pigs are all black. Show a lot of wilder characteristics, are excellent eating as they are pretty much free of swine diseases and infestations. Many mainland inland pigs can carry parasites or disease making it unwise to eat those animals so infected. Organs should be inspected before consumption. But because feral pigs are considered an agricultural pest, hunters tend to shoot them for a fun hunt, but leave the carcases to rot A lot of Aussie "hunters" think only of spotlighting as a means of shooting feral pigs. Myself I prefer to stalk them particular after dawn and before dusk. I have only hunted KI feral "boars" once. I would love to access them again and regularly. It is not cheap, as an expensive ferry ride is required to get over from the mainland, and then a drive across the island, in my case hunting right on the boundary of Flinders Chase National Park. I even had to unlock park gates to get access to the private farm land. An annual hunting trip there would be great. Load up the Engels with feral "boar" meat.

A lot of Aussie feral pigs were shoot as part of shooting meat for export. The pigs are hung on the vehicles and inspected at a "chiller" for any parasites, disease. And butchered, processed for export sale. A LOT of "boar" in Germany and perhaps other parts of Europe, sold in restaurants as "boar" were actually Aussie feral pig pork.

An Aussie term for the feral pig obtaining some or more "boar" like appearance is the "Razorback".

To my eye the "Razorback" still lacks the solid humpback shape of a European wild Boar. The KI feral pigs have been breeding for some one hundred to two hundred years to the wild and are half way there. Same as the Northern pigs. Give them another hundred or two hundred years and who knows? Some true wild boar genes would be great but very illegal.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#354079 - 06/06/21 02:22 AM

Mick's big boar/feral boar would be called an Aussie "Razorback".

I shot a nice big example on the floodplains in the West of the Top End with my .450 NE. Again need to find the folder of images from that trip and one day post it.

We did bring back a number of good tusks from that trip out of the thirty boars shot. Selected some of the better ones to to keep.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

.375 member

#354119 - 06/06/21 11:39 AM

Few more from the other day , grass is very high and thick.
boar 338-06 185 GMX

Mitch Kimber 300WM

wallow they were using

REM 700 338-06 D.Kerr

not all large

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10302

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com