Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Vic Trip 21

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Vic Trip 21
      #353844 - 29/05/21 08:16 PM

Travelled to Vic for a few weeks hunting and fishing.
Hunted the local areas.

Had a close encounter with stag at 20m, unfortunatly for me he was quicker and disapeared into the cprosma disappointed in my self for not getting the shot. Made me keener for the next few days.

A day later in the same area. I had just looked at a wallow and climbed above it and hit a well used trail. Decided to contour around the face on the trail. Fairly thick bracken so slow going. Had gone about 140m and came to a deadfall tree and deciding which way to go when I spotted movement about 15m in front of me.

A head appeared above the bracken ,it all happened pretty quick and a head shot at 15m had a small knobby stag on the ground. Stoked!

pinged Mitch and he headed down for pics and recovery.

Knobby 7x57 140 PPSN Rigby HS

dressing out, prime eating.

Mitch,gettting ready to carry out Better than what we are used to. Shot from tree above right of mitts head.

carry out

recovered from neck vertebrae 140 PPSN

Hung the meat and let it set and continued on hunting. Both Mitch and i Had opportunities over the next couple of days.

It all came together again for me on a arvo hunt I had just pushed thru a cprosma thicket and started to climb up, as i glanced up Spotted a stag at 35m. Instinctivly Gun up in the scope boom. As quick as it happened I was worried weather I should have shot or not.

The stag crashed away thru the cprosma and I watched the scrub moving, he was obviously hit hard. Then a loud crash and next a tumbling noise as the stag had gone down and was rolling down the face. All quiet and I picked out a large tree where I last saw and heard movement. Quickly covered the ground to the tree and the stag was resting against the tree, for a easy find.

Mitch called and asked what I had got........Spike. sent my location to him, for pics and carry out.

Initial concerns over the shot were not necissary, the shot was as the stag turned and raked across from his hip to the offside shoulder. 270WSM 130gr TTSX.

spike

recovered 30 r TTSX hip too side shoulder

ready too carry out

processed

camp in the Gatta

MIA stove pumping

2wt fly blow fly humpy

Meatie

real close

Quick look for some fallow. Should have been easy, yeah right. Late morning last spot opportunity for a rushed couple of shots at some fast departing fallow.

Sat down for the shot as they started running hoping they would pull up. They slowed and started to pull up I dropped a doe and Watto missed one. they started to hit the timber so I stood up, picked out another and as it came into view ,I willed it to stop! It did and a 140 PPSN dropped its on the spot. Stoked.

doe 7x57 200m 140 PPSN

rainbow

Covid closures lookalike they were coming scout it short and headed home In hindesite a good call

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Vic Trip 21 [Re: 264]
      #353848 - 29/05/21 11:39 PM

Fantastic!

Great haul for a full freezer.
The fishing looks great too.

That little knife looks useful.
What is it?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Vic Trip 21 [Re: tinker]
      #353852 - 30/05/21 06:58 AM

Well done Mick!
Lovely lot of deer & trout to boot as well - would have been an awesome trip!
Top stuff

.375 member

Re: Vic Trip 21 [Re: tinker]
      #353854 - 30/05/21 07:06 AM

Tinker,the knife is a Outdoor edge razor lite. Replacable blade model. Very handy and great on buff hide.
They also do a razor pro with a fixed gutting blade.
these are my go to knife now. Blades are cheap and easy to get.
they require a bit of cleaning as hair /meat gets caught in the replace blade slot.
pretty easy to clean. Heres a pic of the. razor pro, Piranta and mouse.
cheers Mick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #353857 - 30/05/21 08:29 AM

Well done Mick on the Vic hunt.

I was surprised to see a vehicle in the Wonnangatta, as they used to lock the gates for Winter. Maybe that is still happening and to come in June or later?

Good to clear out of Vicistan before the border walls went up again. Even better for you not to be gulaged trying to re-enter the NT!

I hadn't thought of a sambar trip in May. Maybe worth a try next year. In the past used to hunt in August or similar. But never have hunted the Wonnangatta. You had very decent success there with three sambar. Considering the old Vic stats from years ago, where the average non hound hunter saw 0.8 of a deer per hunting trip. I assume that included weekend trips. So four deer seen and three shot in perspective is very good success.

Other than my first trip, in a not very productive area, I always saw deer, three in one spot running away, a dozen or more feeding on the side of the road! Photos only. not shooting. With Gryphon and his special areas, a handful or more per day. His dog proved more than useful in locating deer, we might otherwise have walked past. I remember on time, the dog indicated to the right, so we went to the right instead and two sambar over the hill.

I hope my "little" fellow, Donder, a GSP, already 25 kgs at six months, might be useful for sambar. But impossible to train him for sambar a days drive away. Some training on fallow might do it. He does love the fallow, and on my property can often be found when loose by the deer paddocks, sitting staring at them. A good sign. Of course no dogs in the National Parks.

Did your share of the sambar venison go North with you? Can I ask how you transport it all that distance, time and potential heat? Freeze it first? Have camp fridges and freezers, such as an Engle or two? Big esky/cool box with lots of ice and replaced as needed? How long does the drive take you? Perhaps less "leisurely" than I do it.

My interest is the need to bring meat South in reverse. If room I sometimes take a second Engel. One being reserved as a freezer for boned out meat for the trip South. The other as space allows. If by myself, the back seat of the Landcruiser can be used for gear and cargo, so a second Engel squeezed into the back.

Good to see the Rigby .275 getting a sambar run.

Thanks for posting your pics and story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #353858 - 30/05/21 08:54 AM

Well done and looks like a top trip Mick. Some very nice chewing with the young Samba. I like your tent set up. Just the ticket for a week or so in cold country.

.375 member

Re: Vic Trip 21 [Re: NitroX]
      #353861 - 30/05/21 09:56 AM

Gatta closures are from 24-6 to some time in September.So cars allowed in before these times.
Great place but under allot of pressure from 4wder's and illegal shooters. Spottlighters shooting every night we were there.
Still plenty of deer , also large numbers of rabbits. Myxo had just started so that will sort them out.
Meat was shared between a few so better cuts in my engel and frozen , -7 all the way home.Done in 12-15 hour hits or until I started thinking of buying a tikka. time for a sleep.
Fallow back straps were put on ice and a mate took them at Alice springs.
Covid closures changed everything, luckily perceived them happening and decided too leave early.
Very happy to take a sambar with the Rigby. 9.3 will be used a fair bit, next trip.
Saw sambar or a deer everyday except one and that was a traveling day. Once the freezers were full it was a stag or let its go. Had some great encounters with unaware hindes and calfs. Looking forward to puting more time in on the sambar.
Cheers Mick
little trout skinny water

black cricket 2 wt

engel nearly full

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #353869 - 30/05/21 04:33 PM

Congratulations on your successful hunting and fishing trip, Mick: excellent photos and reporting, classy rifles meant to be used and impressive venison harvest!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#353870 - 30/05/21 06:12 PM

Quote:

Gatta closures are from 24-6 to some time in September.So cars allowed in before these times.

Thanks.

Quote:

Great place but under allot of pressure from 4wder's and illegal shooters. Spottlighters shooting every night we were there.

Sad. There are dickheads on facebook open about it and even a page or group "promoting" spotlighting sambar and shooting from roads.

Quote:

Done in 12-15 hour hits or until I started thinking of buying a tikka. time for a sleep.

Ha ha ha. Very funny. Long day drives. I only do it for about 6 to 9 hours driving solo. One cattle station owner said they do it at 150 kms a hour or something.

Quote:

Meat was shared between a few so better cuts in my engel and frozen , -7 all the way home.
Fallow back straps were put on ice and a mate took them at Alice springs.

Thanks. Same here.

Quote:

Covid closures changed everything, luckily perceived them happening and decided too leave early.

Any plans to travel to Danistan is risky now. A person gets a sniffle and the whole state is locked down and all the other commissars in other states jump eagerly in. No one caught the covid from the bloke in quarantine, no one caught the wuflu while be was freely moving around in Adelaide, no one caught the wu flu on the flight, but he arrives in Vic and suddenly oodles with wu flu. And coincidentally a day or two before the "medical martial laws" were due to expire ... so lockdown extreme laws extended for months more, coincidence? Umm .... Pigs fly too. Enough politics. Hunting is better.

Quote:

Very happy to take a sambar with the Rigby. 9.3 will be used a fair bit, next trip.
Saw sambar or a deer everyday except one and that was a traveling day. Once the freezers were full it was a stag or let its go. Had some great encounters with unaware hindes and calfs. Looking forward to puting more time in on the sambar.
Cheers Mick

Eagerly waiting for the next Mick Adventure.

I'll have to try some trout fishing one day. At least for a feed. The streams actually with water in them look nice.

Back to this one.

Quote:

Done in 12-15 hour hits or until I started thinking of buying a tikka. time for a sleep.

Ha ha ha. Droll. Very funny. Well done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (30/05/21 06:17 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Vic Trip 21 [Re: NitroX]
      #353919 - 31/05/21 05:13 PM

I came back for another look. Wish I had thought of a May 2021 Wonnandatta sambar hunting trip! If I was ahead of farm work, not behind, a rushed trip in June would be possible before the gates close, but wu flu and the Victorian Comrades are problematic.

I have been hanging out for another decent hunting trip this year and last year ...

Well done Mick.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1511

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com