Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A modern custom Howdah pistol

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A modern custom Howdah pistol
      #353881 - 31/05/21 01:45 AM

Fantasy time, at leeast for most of us.

You win lotto, a big win and decide to commission a double rifle maker to build your own Howdah handgun.

The design is to be something like the one recently posted.

6 1/2in. rifled barrels
overall length 13 1/4in
weight approximately 3 1/4lbs.

Yes it is a bit dated but so is hunting from the back of an elephant.

I do think hammers are an absolute requirement. Otherwise a modern form of decocker/cocker. Comment?

I do like the .577 calibre. But what cartridge would you have it made in? The orignal .577 Snider bp? Or what modern cartridge would do similiar in smokeless?

Maybe a custom .577 NE considerably shorted? Any ideas?

A .500 and .450 range might also be fine, even to a .375?

For example I have already mentioned a .45/70 might make a dandy modern howdah cartridge choice. Similar case capacity to a .577 Snider.

Rimmed is pretty much essential.

Any cartridge choice must have reasonable recoil. A full NE powered handgun is just ridiculous. So include estimates of velocity and recoil in such a weight handgun and barrel lenght.

Please comment.

Which maker and why?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (31/05/21 01:47 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: NitroX]
      #353883 - 31/05/21 02:57 AM

Oh WOW Im onboard for this one! I would say 6-8 inch barrels, maybe even a second set OR a duplicate gun with longer (say 14 inches) and a detachable shoulder stock , packaged as a set.

Yes I like the hammer idea too; but with them tilted just a bit into the center so that they can be cocked at the same time with one hand-Taylors sells a SxS Coach Gun like that. Id want a side lever over a top lever; but Im flexible on that one. Also a true pistol grip (like the one pictured).

Cartridge, Hmmmm? Lets see 45-70 would be the easy button but maybe something a bit shorter. Id certainly prefer bigger. How'bout 50-70? Theres always 500S&W if youre open to smokeless

Youll have to school me on why it has to have rifled barrels. I recall some talk awhile back about I seem to a cartridge based on the brass 20ga shells shortened to 2 inches called 600 Manchester. One version had round ball exposed but held in place with 5 or 6 crimps. The other had a conical loaded like a bullet. I dont recall any load data other than it was a BP load. Seems to me that would have the punch and look

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #353884 - 31/05/21 03:10 AM

What about something along the lines of the 454 Casull. 8” barrels and external hammers.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: HeymSR20]
      #353885 - 31/05/21 03:41 AM

For the big nasty bovine, a .500 440gr bullet at 1400fps has shown to do everything that needs to be done although still the handgun isn't a stopping gun. It'll kill and it'll definitely change the plans of a big animal, but it's not exactly a stopper.

That doesn't keep the fellows from handgun hunting big bovine, big ungulates and even hippo.

Although anything over the 50/500 caliber is regulated as "destructive device" for handguns here in the USA, if money wasn't a problem I'd go forward with a 20bore or 16bore using 70 or more grains Black or a nitro energy equivalent.
Excessive velocity will only give the hunter greater range. That's not needed for this kind of gun.

There are some handsome hammerless designs - but I'd want small curved back action or island locks with hammers.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

tinker
.416 member

#353886 - 31/05/21 03:55 AM

Quote:

Cartridge, Hmmmm? Lets see 45-70 would be the easy button but maybe something a bit shorter. Id certainly prefer bigger. How'bout 50-70? Theres always 500S&W if youre open to smokeless

I did this for someone a couple of weeks ago

Not a break open gun, and not a cartridge that I'm longing for as a hunting gun for myself, but since you mentioned hyphenated cartridges I figured I'd put that up for kicks...

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #353887 - 31/05/21 04:19 AM

Quote:

You win lotto, a big win and decide to commission a double rifle maker to build your own Howdah handgun.

6 1/2in. rifled barrels
overall length 13 1/4in

because the shotgun project is called a cheap and bad idea before I have seen once pics of a howdah pistol exactly in this style with smooth barrels shooting 20 ga slugs with brass cases.
With the right donor shotgun its possible to change anything in the way it have to be.

cut and welding is the great secret.I think this is the best way to build such a pistol if a cut off shotgun is legal to fire in your area.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: tinker]
      #353888 - 31/05/21 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not a break open gun, and not a cartridge that I'm longing for as a hunting gun for myself, but since you mentioned hyphenated cartridges I figured I'd put that up for kicks...

will the 50-110 generate more energy than the 500 S&W in a handgun?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

tinker
.416 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: lancaster]
      #353889 - 31/05/21 04:30 AM

There's more case capacity in the 50-110 and that's a heat treated cylinder. The limit will be the brass, and it's Starline brass so really the limit will likely be the shooter.

Frankly, the S&W can be loaded to perform beyond the comfort level of many/most shooters. I don't know how far the owner of that revolver will go with his load development, but there's a great deal of potential there for him to explore.

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #353892 - 31/05/21 07:05 AM

Quote:

There's more case capacity in the 50-110 and that's a heat treated cylinder. The limit will be the brass, and it's Starline brass so really the limit will likely be the shooter.

Frankly, the S&W can be loaded to perform beyond the comfort level of many/most shooters. I don't know how far the owner of that revolver will go with his load development, but there's a great deal of potential there for him to explore.

Holy crap Tinker!
You'd need to be built like ol' Arnie to hang onto this cannon going flat out with BP!
Imagine the muzzle flash.........it'd be awesome to say the least
Well over my comfort level for sure!

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: 93x64mm]
      #353893 - 31/05/21 07:25 AM

I'd go with the .577 Snider round. Tradition, and manageable recoil even if shot one-handed from my weak side. I tend to prefer heavy projectiles, which the Snider round provides. Definitely with hammers, but the maker is problematic: I'd much prefer an original to any from a modern maker.

tinker
.416 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: Jim_C]
      #353894 - 31/05/21 07:31 AM

Jim I handled a modern production Boss 12 bore back action hammer rifle at the last Safari Club show here in Northern Nevada

I'd guess that Westley Richards, W.W. Greener, and maybe Holland and Holland or Purdey could also be persuaded to take the project.

--------------------

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #353896 - 31/05/21 09:24 AM

I would consider a 12 gauge slug round as an interesting idea. I even think a 20 gauge slug may be a good choice.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: LRF]
      #353898 - 31/05/21 09:46 AM

When I picture Howdah cartridges, theres a certain length to width ratio that I see. 45-70 is too long with a too small bore size. The 600 Manchester seemed just about right

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#353900 - 31/05/21 11:17 AM

Where is there a reference to the 600 Manchester cartridge that you mention here?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #353901 - 31/05/21 11:37 AM

Guys. In 16 to 12 bore, a round ball is all that is needed. Hardened, or soft- your choice, as would be the powder charge. A 2 3/4" 12 will hold 7 drams if BP.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#353903 - 31/05/21 12:03 PM

Quote:

Where is there a reference to the 600 Manchester cartridge that you mention here?

Ill see if I can dig it up. I found it on one of those late night google searches. Im not even sure what I started searching for; but got side tracked onto 17 other topics when I found it. I could be totally wrong but I just remember it was a stubby case with a big ball

Edited by EDELWEISS (31/05/21 12:13 PM)

tinker
.416 member

#353906 - 31/05/21 12:58 PM

At the shop in one of the cartridge displays we have a shortened 600 nitro case with a lead bullet seated in there

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#353908 - 31/05/21 01:16 PM

That's even smaller thN 20 bore.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: DarylS]
      #353910 - 31/05/21 02:32 PM

But it's cool, and we're talking about cool.
So there's that.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#353912 - 31/05/21 04:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes in reality and maybe in history a large calibre revolver would probably be used a a howdah self defence handgun against tiger attack. There is a large calibre Webley, .577?, thread on the NE forums.

A .455 Webley would probably work well enough as well.

Four to seven rounds in the cyclinder allow quick follow up additional shots.

A modern .357 revolver would work pretty well as well.

Something like this hand cannon, no doubt would work.

The side by side howdah pistil in large calibre originated as a muzzle loading bp pistol. Tqwo qucik shots at very close range. Perhaps when the muzzle loading long arms had been expended already on the hunt or the charge?

Then a short period when small numbers of cartridge case howdah pistols were made. Also loading blakc powder. No doubt the cost went up as well. Before the era of larger reliable handguns/revolvers with similar power. Perhaps the Webley became a popular handgun to carry on an elephants back?

But also the era of non muzzle loaders, breech loading drs and shotguns, which also could be reloaded quickly compared to a muzzle loader. So perhaps less need for a handgun.

I will put a probability out there, the howdah handgun originated not just for a "tiger on the elephants back" but also do to the slow reloading spped of a muzzle loading rifle or shotgun on the swaying rocking back of an elephant. A single or double barreled ML handgun used a a weapon of last defence. We know shorter barreled rifles and shotguns existed for use in or on a howdah. A handgun is of course very short and can be swumg around and pointed quickly, where a long arm has to manouvre around the bodies on the howdah saddle.

So my hypothesis on the howdah:

1. Became a weapon of last defence on a howdah saddle due to :
1a. Long arms being muzzle loaders and once shot, took too long to reload, a handgun provided quick emergemcy shots;

1b. A howdah pistol being short was manouverable in the cramoed howdah saddle full 360 degrees, around the other riders.

2. With the creation of breech loading long arms, there was less need for a howdah pistol, but:

2a. We see these lovely breech loading vrass case howdah pistols in limited numbers;

2b. A muzzle loading howdah pistol would still have been useful and effective in the age of breech loading wlong arms. It is a weapon of short length considerable power or last resort. Two powerful shots probably wiill resolve the threat or not at all.

3. With the advent of large and reliable powerful revolvers, the side by side and single shot howdah handgun became redundant.

But back to the topic. They are cool. And I want one. And we are fantasising about building a modern side by side version, and what it could be chambered for.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: lancaster]
      #353913 - 31/05/21 04:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

6 1/2in. rifled barrels
overall length 13 1/4in

because the shotgun project is called a cheap and bad idea before I have seen once pics of a howdah pistol exactly in this style with smooth barrels shooting 20 ga slugs with brass cases.
With the right donor shotgun its possible to change anything in the way it have to be.

cut and welding is the great secret.I think this is the best way to build such a pistol if a cut off shotgun is legal to fire in your area.

Yes a shotgun with hammers could well be a sensible choice as the base for such a howdah handgun.

Mick/264 and Marrakai both owned a Greener Empire Shotgun in 12 gauge which was converted to a .577 :ight NE double rifle.

Such a shotgun could be modified also into a howdah handgun. Perhaps with 12 bore case and rifled barrels. Or a shortened .577 LNE case to a handgun cartridge length and a lighter bullet or round bullet.

Ideally a shotgun with hammers could be used.

Why? Because the hammers can be kpet down, the howdah relatively safe until the hammers are cocked. Much safer than a safety. A modern decocker safety would also be fairly safe on a loaded side by side handgun, "hanging around" ... BUT old fashioned hammers are just so much cooler.

I have hypothesised that a Baikal side by side .45/70 cut shorterd and a pistol grip fashioned from the pistol grip butt stock. would make a "spartan" howdah pistol. Looking at mine, it does appear chunky and I wonder what weight it would end up as. Very muzzle heavy I think.

A Pedersoli .45/70 S/S cut down with hammers would maybe be better. Higher cost!

Simialr case capacity. Disappointly smaller bore, a .50 to 480 gr projectile, however it would work.

Would at the minimum be a fun gun for am ACTION howdah shoot. Make a raised platform, rocking and swaying somewhat, and popup tiger or leopard targets at close range. One or two shots before it pops down again after a few seconds. Safety considerations might be difficult to ensure.

All these discussions assume any such project is legal where it would be made and owned. Anothe rproblematic consideration in the modern world.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#353914 - 31/05/21 04:37 PM

Quote:

Oh WOW Im onboard for this one! I would say 6-8 inch barrels, maybe even a second set OR a duplicate gun with longer (say 14 inches) and a detachable shoulder stock , packaged as a set.

Yes I like the hammer idea too; but with them tilted just a bit into the center so that they can be cocked at the same time with one hand-Taylors sells a SxS Coach Gun like that. Id want a side lever over a top lever; but Im flexible on that one. Also a true pistol grip (like the one pictured).

Youll have to school me on why it has to have rifled barrels. I recall some talk awhile back about I seem to a cartridge based on the brass 20ga shells shortened to 2 inches called 600 Manchester. One version had round ball exposed but held in place with 5 or 6 crimps. The other had a conical loaded like a bullet. I dont recall any load data other than it was a BP load. Seems to me that would have the punch and look

Of course a smooth bore howdah pistol or shotgun shooting slugs or ball I think might do as well.

No one seems to be able to answer just how accurate or well regulated these rifled howdah pistols were?

So it is possible a smooth bore 12 bore, 16 bore or 20 bore, with a slug or ball would do as well?

I reckon hitting a steel plate, 12 inches wide at 10 yards would be pretty good. A tiger at almost or actual touching distance would be even easy to shoot without even aiming, just pointing, if the elephant was not shaking and thrashing around, the howdah rcoking enough to almost break its leather staps, the tiger moving like a wound up spring of deaht, and ones bowels emptying into ones spotless pure white gentleman's trousers!

A Mad Max sawn off shotgun howdah pistol is a very cheap and real answer for a fun Howdah Action Target shoot. A plus is it also could shoot heavy shot! Again legality is a bit of an issue.
These howdah pistols I would think were both rifled and smoothbore. I think a lot of variation might have existed.

I do like the fantasy of a rifle howdah pistol, which does regulate to some extent. And could be used for practical hunting.

A longer barrel set and a clip on rifle stock, would make it very versatile.

I can hear the police raid banging on my front door right now.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#353925 - 31/05/21 10:47 PM

Here in the US we have a 1/2 inch limit; but there are exceptions for "sporting purposes" whatever the hell that is... I suppose more to the point, since this is a fantasy after winning the lottery, then the modest fee of a $200 is hardly an issue to go over 50 Caliber for a proper (looking) Howdah cartridge.

A safety cocker/decocker like the K-gun system would be a modern touch but Id still want hammers. No one has mentioned an O/U and Id kinda like to see that at least as an option just because options are nice. Ive seen the S&W 500 X Frame with the short barrel (I think its 5 inches) and the BFRs they are HUGE and not that its an issue on an elephant; but they seem disproportional to me.

Now dont slam me for this but Ive kinda wondered about the 3 barrel shotguns (third barrel on top). In 20ga it wouldnt be Tooooo large??? they have a single trigger, which on a shotgun I dont like since it doesnt allow for barrel selection BUT on a Howdah meant to be fired fast at bad breath range might be a good option.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379757 - 30/09/23 04:39 PM

Reopening.

I wonder if any gunmaker has made a modern Howdah pistol?

If one could be made, what cartridge? As previously asked. It must be rimmed. And sound at least classic.

I wonder how well it could've regulated?

Rimmed.

Hammers, preferably traditional. But modern German decocking safeties could work.

Break open side by side. Side lever or under lever.

Would be great with a slide on butt stock for actual hunting.

Wide V sight. But maybe unobtrusive and base fitting for a modern handgun dot optic sight. But only if invisible when off.

Cased of course.

Didn't win lotto last night but it jackpotted. So can get a cased pair now.

Quote:

Fantasy time, at least for most of us.

6 1/2in. rifled barrels
overall length 13 1/4in

Yes it is a bit dated but so is hunting from the back of an elephant.

I do think hammers are an absolute requirement. Otherwise a modern form of decocker/cocker. Comment?

I do like the .577 calibre. But what cartridge would you have it made in? The orignal .577 Snider bp? Or what modern cartridge would do similiar in smokeless?

Maybe a custom .577 NE considerably shorted? Any ideas?

A .500 and .450 range might also be fine, even to a .375?

For example I have already mentioned a .45/70 might make a dandy modern howdah cartridge choice. Similar case capacity to a .577 Snider.

Rimmed is pretty much essential.

Any cartridge choice must have reasonable recoil. A full NE powered handgun is just ridiculous. So include estimates of velocity and recoil in such a weight handgun and barrel lenght.

Please comment.

Which maker and why?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#379758 - 30/09/23 04:42 PM

Quote:

Here in the US we have a 1/2 inch limit; but there are exceptions for "sporting purposes" whatever the hell that is... I suppose more to the point, since this is a fantasy after winning the lottery, then the modest fee of a $200 is hardly an issue to go over 50 Caliber for a proper (looking) Howdah cartridge.

$200 is never an issue in my opinion.

Yes hammers better than a decocker.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #379761 - 30/09/23 10:21 PM

Hammers, under lever ( because it looks better to me and it wouldn't jam into the web of your hand or knuckle like a top or side lever will when you fire it), low shallow v rear sight and large bead front sight. Regulated to 21 feet. 12 or 20 bore shooting some form of conical slug. A lanyard ring. It could be smooth bore or rifled.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383352 - 12/03/24 02:12 AM

Sooooo, reopening an old thread because I cant get the image out of my head. By now you guys have heard of the Pedersoli 45Colt/410 Howdah's and their B/P versions. The 45/410' work legally because the "beat" the 1/2 inch sporting role limit. I do have to give Pedersoli credit for all the options they offer, (Hammers, non hammer, double and single trigger, even one in nickel and rubber covered wood). They also make B/P versions in 20ga and 50 caliber. The 45/410 guns run $1500-2000 and the B/P versions about $1000

Another "option" is the American Gun Company Diablo. Its a 12ga SxS B/P but it breaks open (like a cartridge gun) to load 209 primers. It has a single trigger and a single hammer that you must pivot left/right for barrel selection. They offer 6" 8" and 11" versions. The 6 inch gun is nice for crossdraw carry, but the 8" feels most "Howdah" to me. The AGC guns run about $700. They even make a grip that allows use of an AR type stock, if you want a very modern option.

Best

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383353 - 12/03/24 02:20 AM

Question to ponder... Are sights really necessary? This is a pretty much muzzle on flesh kinda deal. Even if its a bit further, is it really more than a room distance gun?

My vote is for a white line or perhaps a loooong white triangle painted from breech to muzzle along the rib. The line would be visible in pretty much any hold and precise "enuf" for minute of a tiger or man

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383354 - 12/03/24 04:03 AM

If the gun fits properly into your hand, pointing it is like pointing your finger. It is an instinctive action, until you screw it up by thinking too much.
The fit is important. Look at the older muzzleloading and ctg. Howdah guns. They are instinctive pointers & have the mass to point well using your peripheral vision.
At 12 yards, using my .54 flintlock pistol & just pointing it, I was able to get a 3" group for 5 shots, in the middle of the 10 ring on a B-27 target.
1,100fps with a 218gr. round ball.
IMHO, .54 too small a bore size for a "Howdah Pistol".

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383356 - 12/03/24 05:36 AM

Yes I agree 54 is small for a Howdah; but thats the largest commercially available for a rifled B/P pistol. Pedesoli also makes a 20ga percussion (not sure if it smooth or rifled).

The 45/410 is even smaller but at least is a cartridge version. I suspect the design is based on a 410 shotgun action, so Id be hesitant to load it too hot OTOH 45 Colt even Cowboy loads killed a lot of villains on the movies.... I do wish they made it in something like 50 Special. Im not sure any SxS shotgun action will 500S&W. I have a 10" Encore in 500S&W its definitely too light to "want" to shoot for anything short of a charging dinosaur.

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383357 - 12/03/24 05:37 AM

Does it really "need" to be rifled?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383363 - 12/03/24 09:33 AM

I would suggest it would take a VERY modern SxS action to handle the S&W .500, however, factory ammo is actually loaded below it's maximum working pressure.

"500 S&W Magnum has a maximum working pressure of 60,000 psi (4,100 bar). However, most factory ammunition is limited to 50,000 psi (3,400 bar) to help ease extraction of fired cases. The cylinders of the S&W Model 500 revolver are engineered to be capable of withstanding 50% over pressure."

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#383364 - 12/03/24 09:35 AM

Quote:

That depends on the range. Out to 10 yards, I'd say NO.
20 yards, definitely.
The divergence of the balls will grow exponentially with added range.
If wanting to shoot slugs - fast twist necessary.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383370 - 12/03/24 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That depends on the range. Out to 10 yards, I'd say NO.
20 yards, definitely.
The divergence of the balls will grow exponentially with added range.
If wanting to shoot slugs - fast twist necessary.

Rifling or smooth bore?
Sights or non sighted?

Two scenarios.
1. A modern Howdah designed to use in defence against a tiger on top of an elephant. The original purpose.
1a. Same but home self defence in a house against an intruder.
2. A modern Howdah to shoot targets in a sporting sense of competition.

A smooth bore with or without sights might do for the first one. I suggest a small front sight, or shotgun bead is the minimum.

Rifled and sights, at least a small front sight is probably better, for the second. Smooth bore might work.

The only reasons in my mind for going smooth bore would cost, using existing donor shotguns, and perhaps also shooting shot.

Otherwise if shooting ball, conicals, whatever, suitable rifling would be preferred.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: degoins]
      #383371 - 12/03/24 04:41 PM

Quote:

Hammers, under lever ( because it looks better to me and it wouldn't jam into the web of your hand or knuckle like a top or side lever will when you fire it), low shallow v rear sight and large bead front sight. Regulated to 21 feet. 12 or 20 bore shooting some form of conical slug. A lanyard ring. It could be smooth bore or rifled.

Good points. Vintage Howdahs always have under or side levers.

The rest of the points are spot on as well.

Add 16-bore to the list.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383372 - 12/03/24 05:30 PM

Quote:

Sooooo, reopening an old thread because I cant get the image out of my head. By now you guys have heard of the Pedersoli 45Colt/410 Howdah's and their B/P versions. The 45/410' work legally because the "beat" the 1/2 inch sporting role limit. I do have to give Pedersoli credit for all the options they offer, (Hammers, non hammer, double and single trigger, even one in nickel and rubber covered wood). They also make B/P versions in 20ga and 50 caliber. The 45/410 guns run $1500-2000 and the B/P versions about $1000

Another "option" is the American Gun Company Diablo. Its a 12ga SxS B/P but it breaks open (like a cartridge gun) to load 209 primers. It has a single trigger and a single hammer that you must pivot left/right for barrel selection. They offer 6" 8" and 11" versions. The 6 inch gun is nice for crossdraw carry, but the 8" feels most "Howdah" to me. The AGC guns run about $700. They even make a grip that allows use of an AR type stock, if you want a very modern option.

Pity the Diablos look so aweful.

The Pedersoli cartridge side by side aren't Howdahs. Marketing waffle abot some make believe 1930s origins. The pistol grips are simply gross and ugly. If I acquired one idtry to restock it was reasonably as possible. Lacks hammers.

For the prices they could do better.

The muzzle loading pedersolis seem closer to the proper design.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
      #383386 - 13/03/24 02:12 AM

Those Pedersoli 20 ga muzzle loaders are smooth bore barrels. I passed one up several years ago for $400 in like new condition. Now a used one goes in the $800 and about $1500 for a new. I am not impressed with the "saw handle" looks of the breech loaders but I swear I saw an original on an auction somewhere that had that same profile!? I was at the Tulsa gun show a couple of years ago and a man was carrying around a SXS percussion pistol. I looked it over and checked the bore. They were pretty clean and about .70 cal. wood looked solid, back action lock wouldn't hold on half cock but that was no problem to me. Probably Belgium. He said make an offer because it selling today to someone! I handed it back to him and walked away!!!! DUMB!!!!

--------------------
Longknife

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: Longknife]
      #383387 - 13/03/24 03:02 AM

This is essentially what Pedersoli copied and called it a "Howda". Origin in 1922
Just not Pukka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Auto_%26_Burglar

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383388 - 13/03/24 03:53 AM

BLEK!

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383398 - 13/03/24 11:09 AM

The Pedersoli "Alaskan" (nickel with black rubber covered wood) at least has a decent shaped grip. They do make a hammer version; but like the others the grip is based on the Ithaca Auto Burglar. I suspect they were trying to entice both the howdah and auto burglar customers. I actually like them as a modern-esque take on the howdah; after all who else is making one.

The muzzleloader versions are, I think, truer to the original concept of the howdah. I have two. one is the early version with the swiveling ramrod. The other started as a kit and I shortened the barrels to 8 inches. Its easier to carry I had a local guy make me a crossdraw holster and its been worn several times in the shop. The full size can also be used with a stock.

I seem to recall seeing an original supershort "Howdah Rifle". I cant recall if the stock on the original was fixed of removal.

Years ago I was involved in 18th century living history. Once a year we had live fire competitions. The handgun class was separated into rifled and smoothbore. Historically guns of that period were both, You guys would know better than me; but I suspect Howdahs were both smooth and rifled. Likewise I suspect some had sights and some didnt. My shortened version does NOT have sights, as I imagine a hastily made or cost effective period gun would have been. The full productions guns all have sights.

As for self defense from a charging animal Tiger, Wild Boar, or rabid dog; I dont see the need for a sight on a muzzle against flesh shot out to self defense at room distance against a two legged animal. Beyond room distance, I would suggest the howdah is not the best choice, and relying on sights to improve that is a mistake.

The Diablo is ugly by traditional howdah standards. Im pretty sure there was never any intent to duplicate a howdah. That being said; if original howdahs were made from shortened rifles and shotguns, then the Diablo follows that tradition.

I have long considered having a custom built howdah made in the traditional pattern; but lacking a winning lottery ticket or a booked tiger hunt; that contract is on hold

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383401 - 13/03/24 06:42 PM

Quote:

The Pedersoli "Alaskan" (nickel with black rubber covered wood) at least has a decent shaped grip. They do make a hammer version; but like the others the grip is based on the Ithaca Auto Burglar. I suspect they were trying to entice both the howdah and auto burglar customers. I actually like them as a modern-esque take on the howdah; after all who else is making one.

I think they were forced to go to a different pistol grip in order for the trigger pull length to be workable. True Howdah pistol actions have bent actions allowing the action to curve into the top of the grip. A shotgun style action extends backwards straighter. One of these "burglar" grips goes straight down instead of a banana style grip.

This is especially the case for internal hammers. Guns with hammers often have less extending behind the locks (?).

I wonder if a "burglar" pedersoli could be restocked more sympathetically? One of these in .45 LC would make a nice club competition howdah gun.

Quote:

The muzzleloader versions are, I think, truer to the original concept of the howdah. I have two. one is the early version with the swiveling ramrod. The other started as a kit and I shortened the barrels to 8 inches. Its easier to carry I had a local guy make me a crossdraw holster and its been worn several times in the shop. The full size can also be used with a stock.

Post photos.

Quote:

I seem to recall seeing an original supershort "Howdah Rifle". I cant recall if the stock on the original was fixed of removal.

I posted some photos of a howdah pistol with a removable butt stock recently.

Also one of our members has a Howdah rifle, a short barrelled .375 rifle. The same rifle was featured on an NE thread several years before as well.

264/Micks and previously Marrakais. Fat Lady, a Greener shotgun conversion to .577 LNE has short barrels and could be called a "Howdah Double Rifle" very easily. 264 abd Marrakai, doing Top End Elephants Shikars!

Quote:

Years ago I was involved in 18th century living history. Once a year we had live fire competitions. The handgun class was separated into rifled and smoothbore. Historically guns of that period were both, You guys would know better than me; but I suspect Howdahs were both smooth and rifled. Likewise I suspect some had sights and some didnt. My shortened version does NOT have sights, as I imagine a hastily made or cost effective period gun would have been. The full productions guns all have sights.

The Howdah pistol absolutely began in the muzzle loading age. On the Howdah saddle a gentleman, shikar or rajah might have a long arm or two. If these single or double barrels are expended, takes too long to reload, a short double barrelled or single barrelled pistol, also muzzle loading, might be the only defence against being mauled by a wounded tiger or leopard. Most vintage Howdah pistols are muzzle loaders, but the .577 Snider or variant cartridge howdahs are something special.

Quote:

As for self defense from a charging animal Tiger, Wild Boar, or rabid dog; I dont see the need for a sight on a muzzle against flesh shot out to self defense at room distance against a two legged animal. Beyond room distance, I would suggest the howdah is not the best choice, and relying on sights to improve that is a mistake.

The Diablo is ugly by traditional howdah standards. Im pretty sure there was never any intent to duplicate a howdah. That being said; if original howdahs were made from shortened rifles and shotguns, then the Diablo follows that tradition.

I have long considered having a custom built howdah made in the traditional pattern; but lacking a winning lottery ticket or a booked tiger hunt; that contract is on hold

When I win lotto I have the same eccentric plan. A modern British made Howdah pistol. What cartridge? Would they do it? It must regulate? A shoulder stock as well to make it more versatile. Tiger hunting is rarer than Howdahs nowadays. Would the bureaucrat nazis allow it to be made or owned? Need that one in several hundred million chance lotto win to find out.

In the meantime I hope to come across a vintage example, rifled or smooth bore at a price I can afford.

A Pedersoli ML and/or .45 LC restocked maybe as well. As I wondered want to over use a vintage example on shooting silly paper.

I think they would be simply great fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383408 - 13/03/24 07:46 PM

The bottom pair are stocked simply so ugly, why on Earth did they go that way?

Looking at them, I can't see why a better grip shape couldn't be made for one of these? The action does not seem to on the surface extend back so far a proper grip could be made for it. Even if the curved grip is a bit more a sharper angle than usual.

That forend could be slimmed as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/03/24 07:47 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383409 - 13/03/24 07:54 PM

Quote:

The third pistol is a breech cartridge loading example with hammers.

No such example is listed anywhere on the Pedersoli website. Only the muzzle loaders have hammers.

Anyone know more about these cartridge howdahs with hammers? Were they shotgun (.410) or rifled (.45 LC)?

This example:

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/pedersoli-howdah/

Pedersoli Howdah Specs

Caliber: .45 Colt/.410
Barrels: 10.25 inches
Overall Length: 17 inches
Weight: 4.5 pounds (empty)
Sights: Brass bead front, folding leaf rear
Stock: Walnut
Action: Sidelock, exposed hammers
Finish: Browned barrels, color-case hardened steel furniture
Capacity: 2
MSRP: $2,035

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/03/24 07:56 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383410 - 13/03/24 08:06 PM

https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/pedersoli/firearms/howdah

https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/images/uploads/howdah_vintage.png

Quote:

Pedersoli’s Howdah 45/410 is a double triggered, breech loading, extractor pistol reproduction of the famous Auto & Burglar pistol produced by Ithaca in the 1920’s. Pedersoli’s model introduces completely different characteristics making it legal for importation and purchase in the US. The main difference is that Pedersoli’s Howdah 45/410 is chambered in 45 Colt, having 10.25 inch, 6-groove rifled barrels with a 1:48 right hand twist and equipped with lengthened chambers to support use of 3 inch .410 shotshells. The pistol is furnished with a ramp front sight and folding rear leaf sight. The rear grip fits snugly in the hand allowing easily controlled use.The Vintage Variant of the Howdah 45/410 is the pinnacle of the Howdah platform. Featuring a true sidelock action with exposed hammers, the round bodied case colored receiver features double triggers. This model has a unique barrel design that begins round and transitions to octagonal at the muzzle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383430 - 14/03/24 11:21 AM

The "Vintage" 45/410 is, "I suppose", the closest currently available option. Ive often wondered if the stock could be re-shaped into something more period Howdah correct??? Im just not sure Im ready to spend $1500-2000 USD on a project, hoping it could be "fixed".

The next question, is 45COLT an acceptable cartridge? How'bout something made from a brass 410 case?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383432 - 14/03/24 01:04 PM

Quote:

The "Vintage" 45/410 is, "I suppose", the closest currently available option. Ive often wondered if the stock could be re-shaped into something more period Howdah correct??? Im just not sure Im ready to spend $1500-2000 USD on a project, hoping it could be "fixed".

The next question, is 45COLT an acceptable cartridge? How'bout something made from a brass 410 case?

To buy a vintage .577 Snider or variant Howdah pistol, $5000 to $30000, $2000 is not bad.

The .45 Long Colt cartridge is inadequate. Might as well use a revolver. But if shooting targets as part of a fun howdah competition, it is better than nothing.

Maybe .410 brass cases loaded with a .45 projectile might be possible and more gutsy? Safe? No idea.

Fixed is only restocking to remove that ugly pistol grip stock. T the same time allow a shoulder stock to be used as well.

This "vintage" model does have external hammers though. IMO pretty much a requirement on a real Howdah pistol.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (16/03/24 02:07 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#383443 - 15/03/24 03:36 AM

A plastic WW .410 hull, loaded with a bullet and full of black powder, will be considerably more powerful than same pressure loaded .45 Colt ctg.
I assume the case allowed is only the 2 1/2" case, not the 3", but that still should allow a really good BP charge. These one piece hulls are VERY easily cleaned afterwards, but then, so is brass.
The .410 Hull, loaded with bullet and BP, along with a roll crimp is the way to go. More aesthetic too.
Just checked a 2 1/2" WW AA .410 hull and it will hold 45gr. 3F GOEX and a 200gr. .45 bullet. That's 10gr.to 15gr. more than a modern .45 Colt case will hold.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383455 - 16/03/24 12:48 PM

They use 2 1/2 AND 3 inch 410 shells.

I had 45 Colt cases made that were 3" long; but they wont fit. Brass 3" 410 cases DO work. Theres enough of a taper that the long 45 Colt cases wont fit

I loaded 3" Brass 410 shells with a heavy load of B/P and a round ball then crimped the top with a crimping tool a member made.

Even With a heavy load of B/P the recoil was at best moderate. Ultimately Id like to find a conical that could be pressed into the 410 shell.

I havent tried any handloaded smokeless rounds yet....

I bought the Alaskan model because I liked the grip better than the Auto/Burglar and the Vintage model wasnt available. Today Id pick the Vintage for sure; but Im not convinced its worth the $1500+ for a second model, even if it does have hammers

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383460 - 17/03/24 04:26 AM

What diameter bullet can be used in the 3" brass case?
If bore size, then it might slug up to fill the grooves.
I would think the 3" case might hold 55gr. of powder. Still not a very big load, about like what used to fit in a Colt Walker, the preferred revolver for "running buffalo" shooting them from horseback.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383463 - 17/03/24 05:20 PM

What weight bullet is used? Assuming .45.

The .410 slug load of a 100 or 110 gr slug is simply pathetic. So is a 125 gr slug load.

The .45 Long Colt of a 225 or 230 gr bullet is better, but still for a Howdah, rather pathetic.

One of these however as I have said could be merely a useful fun pistol for a fun Howdah target competition.

So I wonder what or if a .45 bullet could be used in a .410 brass shotshell? What weight bullet? What velocity?

As Huvius said in an early post, a Howdah cartridge is not about velocity for long range pistol shooting. It's about bullet weight and thumping power up close. For target shooting some range might be useful.

.45 Long Colt, inclucing +P
Bullet weights 200 to 360 grs
Velocity 700 to 1500 fps
http://www.ballistics101.com/45_colt.php

.410 Brennecke
Bullet weight 110 grs
Velocity, barrel length ?, 1750 fps

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/410-slugs-whats-the-use/amp

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (17/03/24 06:57 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383464 - 17/03/24 05:47 PM

The "vintage" cartridge Howdah with hammers, bottom left, imagine how beautiful it would be with the same stock as the flintlock above.

What brainless ffffwittery led Pedersoli to choose that aweful stocking?

Slimmed forend and rounded pistol grip, so much nicer. So obvious.

I don't see how the difference in price is justified in the workmanship. However I hope they keep making, if they do, this hammer "vintage" model.

Imagine a brace of them, restocked of course. A tan leather cartridge belt with loops filled with brass .410 cartridges loaded with ball or conicals, or shot. Even better, criss crossed shoulder cartridge loop belts. Bandito time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383465 - 17/03/24 05:52 PM

Quote:

I think one of those percussion model muzzle loaders in .58 will be on the purchase list as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383466 - 17/03/24 06:09 PM

Quote:

Look at the locks on this real vintage Howdah pistol. How the action curves downwards allowing the proper pistol grip with decent trigger pull length.

Compare it to the Pedersolis where the triggers and guard are more on a horizontal plane with another horizontal plane behind the guard till the grip.

This real vintage Howdah pistol, already had the trigger guard in the curve of the grip.

It would be good to handle both at the same time and see how they feel differently.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (17/03/24 06:15 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383467 - 17/03/24 06:21 PM

Quote:

Although anything over the 50/500 caliber is regulated as "destructive device" for handguns here in the USA, if money wasn't a problem I'd go forward with a 20bore or 16bore using 70 or more grains Black or a nitro energy equivalent.
Excessive velocity will only give the hunter greater range. That's not needed for this kind of gun.

There are some handsome hammerless designs - but I'd want small curved back action or island locks with hammers.

A 16-bore hammer side by side shotgun could provide a cheap donor source for a smoothbore Howdah pistol.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #383468 - 17/03/24 09:48 PM

This has been a convoluted discussion, that's for sure!
...and very interesting indeed.

But at last:
Quote:

A 16-bore hammer side by side shotgun could provide a cheap donor source for a smoothbore Howdah pistol

Finally we have arrived at my own personal concept of a modern howdah pistol build, so its time to add my two cents worth. Except mine would definitely need rifling!

Several years ago I went down this rabbit-hole with a view to making a version of the SxS 16-bore hammergun that could be used in our Big Game Rifle competition for the Howdah Pistol event.
A couple of important pre-requisites were NO TOP-LEVER, and percussion-style fences. The problem with using a vintage 12-bore hammer-gun as a donor is that back-action locks cannot be contoured down into the pistol grip, as mentioned above: they are all too straight.
Unfortunately as the SxS shotgun evolved, the top-lever was universally adopted BEFORE the back-action lock was replaced by the bar-action lock, so finding a donor hammer-gun that had bar-action locks with either a Jones underlever or a side-lever was like looking for rocking-horse sh!t!

Anyway, long story short, I finally found one and made the acquisition. According to my gunsmith, I can do everything required except shortening the barrels. That requires changing the firearm class from A (shotgun) to H (handgun) in the NT, and this can only be done legally by a licenced armourer or gunsmith. Difficulties are predicted if I want it to remain an antique (pre-1900 manufactured action) as our Firearms Act technically allows. ...and I do!

The next problem is finding a donor barrel that I could get two short rifled 16-bore sleeves out of. New or vintage, don't really care, but the rifling would need to be "pukka", meaning wide grooves and relatively tall, narrow lands for round-ball, with a twist-rate in the order of 30 to 60 inches. In Australia! More rocking-horse sh!t needing to be sought!

Anyway, the donor hardware is in my gunsafe, so Step 1 is done. I have had the brass 16-bore cases forever, but not yet cut to 2 inches for the 16-bore short cartridge (to further circumvent Police accusations of a cut-down shotgun).
Anyway, this is already further than I manage to get on most of my conceptual projects!

Rest assured I'll post progress here if this project ever bubbles to the surface!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383470 - 18/03/24 02:01 AM

I think "competition" is being used to accept lessor standards Perhaps we should take "competition" out of the discussion. Instead lets "go" with what we have.

Our options are original Howdahs. They are PRICEY and have limited availability
The Pedersoli Cap Lock a bit less pricey and LARGE caliber; but available
The Pedersoli 45/410 runs from $1500 to $2000+. The cartridge options are small by Original standards; but is a HOT 45Colt really anemic?

Can two shots with a HOT 45 Colt stop a Tiger at bad breath range? I suspect we'll never know; but I wouldnt hesitate to use it on a charging pissed of Wild Boar at close range, (ask me how I know) OR for that matter a Black Bear climbing up to my tree stand. Im not into ballistics like some of you guys; but Im guessing a 3" Brass case 410 can be loaded pretty HOT.

So it seems the Pedesolis are the only real options. IF thats the case, then how can we make the best of what we have....modify the stock? rebore to 480 Ruger, possibly a 500 Special. (On that note a hot loaded 500S&W is a 10" Encore is quite a "handful". Adding the weight of second barrel might help IDK, using a lighter load would certaonly help and be more inkeeping with period loads.)

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (18/03/24 02:06 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383471 - 18/03/24 02:31 AM

Smooth or Rifled? Im not convinced one is really better OR more correct than the other, especially if we leave any notion of competition in the dust

Yes Id prefer a side or underlever; but I wont rule out a top lever, if an appropriate donner ever becomes available. I suspect if in some alternative world we still had the "need" for Howdah guns, that a top lever or long/straight lock OR EVEN a Hammerless action (Heaven forbid) would be accepted if not embraced.

Here in the US larger than 50 caliber has some issues and shotguns being shortened to less than 18" barrels and OAL less than 26" can be done but it involves some paperwork, a tax of $200 and a 6 month delay. After all that, there are restrictions on moving it from state to state even for a short hunting trip. Soooo its do-able but os it worth the effort IDK

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383475 - 18/03/24 04:15 AM

A ctg. version of a Howdah pistol really needs a back-action lock, like the one NitroX has posted above.
Pedersoli did a credible job on their flint and cap lock versions, but their ctg. guns are sickening.(almost make me barf)
The flintlock actually looks fairly good and in .58 or 20 bore, would be fun.
As to loading "up" the .410 brass shell, I suspect the limit might be in the 20,000, maybe 30,000 PSI range at the most.
The Casull range of pressures, ie: 57,000PSI are WAY too high. That's the same breech pressure as a 9.3x62.
In .45 Colt, if loaded the same as for a Ruger, Freedom Arms, or TC Contender, in the 29,000psi range, that would put a 300gr. bullet out at about 1,300fps.
So, yes, that would handle a tiger - if it was hit correctly.
Same with grizzly.
The question is, what is the pressure limit for that gun?

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383476 - 18/03/24 04:41 AM

Im not sure Im making my point. YES I totally agree the Pedersoli cartridge guns do NOT look like an Original; but again they are what we have-the only thing we have in a modern adaptation. My guess is that Pedersoli, chose the Ithaca Auto Burglar look because they figured the A/B would have a better sales potential, because its a more recognizable gun. I doubt anyone who hasnt dreamed of hunting India or Afrika, even knows what a Howdah pistol is or wants one.

That leaves us with the Pedersoli. Its NOT perfect. Its far from an Original Howdah; but it meets some of the design features of a Howdah (two barrels, large-ish cartridge), hammers (if you choose the Vintage model). Soooo again I suggest that short of actually needing to stop a Tiger climbing up the side of your elephant, that the Pedersoli does work for a pissed off Wild Boar or Bear and maybe angry four or two legged animals.

Its a modern COMPROMISE for a gun that has zero Original use today; but fills some modern rolls. Liken it to a 2024 Corvette compared to a 72 Stingray or a 63 Split Rear Window Corvette. They arent the same and I lust for a Split Rear Window; but until one is parked in my driveway Ill drive a Mustang in the summer and a Jeep in the winter.

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (18/03/24 04:42 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#383480 - 18/03/24 10:05 AM

Whatever floats your boat. As far as the pissed off boar or bear, if I could legally carry a handgun, it would be my 4" M29, thanks, loaded with 275gr. SWC and 22.5gr. H110 to the tune of 1,210fps.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383484 - 18/03/24 11:49 AM

Quote:

I think "competition" is being used to accept lessor standards Perhaps we should take "competition" out of the discussion.

Nope. Because that is what Marrakai and I are talking about

No one is shooting a tiger off an elephant's back anymore.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: Marrakai]
      #383487 - 18/03/24 06:44 PM

Quote:

But at last:
Quote:

A 16-bore hammer side by side shotgun could provide a cheap donor source for a smoothbore Howdah pistol

Finally we have arrived at my own personal concept of a modern howdah pistol build, so its time to add my two cents worth. Except mine would definitely need rifling!

Several years ago I went down this rabbit-hole with a view to making a version of the SxS 16-bore hammergun that could be used in our Big Game Rifle competition for the Howdah Pistol event.
A couple of important pre-requisites were NO TOP-LEVER, and percussion-style fences. The problem with using a vintage 12-bore hammer-gun as a donor is that back-action locks cannot be contoured down into the pistol grip, as mentioned above: they are all too straight.
Unfortunately as the SxS shotgun evolved, the top-lever was universally adopted BEFORE the back-action lock was replaced by the bar-action lock, so finding a donor hammer-gun that had bar-action locks with either a Jones underlever or a side-lever was like looking for rocking-horse sh!t!

Anyway, long story short, I finally found one and made the acquisition. According to my gunsmith, I can do everything required except shortening the barrels. That requires changing the firearm class from A (shotgun) to H (handgun) in the NT, and this can only be done legally by a licenced armourer or gunsmith. Difficulties are predicted if I want it to remain an antique (pre-1900 manufactured action) as our Firearms Act technically allows. ...and I do!

The next problem is finding a donor barrel that I could get two short rifled 16-bore sleeves out of. New or vintage, don't really care, but the rifling would need to be "pukka", meaning wide grooves and relatively tall, narrow lands for round-ball, with a twist-rate in the order of 30 to 60 inches. In Australia! More rocking-horse sh!t needing to be sought!

Anyway, the donor hardware is in my gunsafe, so Step 1 is done.

I have had the brass 16-bore cases forever, but not yet cut to 2 inches for the 16-bore short cartridge (to further circumvent Police accusations of a cut-down shotgun).
Anyway, this is already further than I manage to get on most of my conceptual projects!

Rest assured I'll post progress here if this project ever bubbles to the surface!

Marrakais, so you have both the hens teeth 16-bore action and the two 16-bore rifled barrels to use. Wow.

Can you post photos of the 16-bore shotgun and action please? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383489 - 18/03/24 07:07 PM

I looked at a French 12-bore shotgun recently, and missed out on buying it. I asked for it to be kept aside but the gunshop ignored me. Kept the Cape one aside but not this one. No brand. Lovely engraved round action Hammerless. 65 mm chambers

But it had an unusual opening system. Extractors but a spring in the forend. A spur on the trigger guard when pushed, springs open the action.

I would have almost certainly kept it as a shotgun for use. No external hammers, but what a cool 12-bore Howdah it could have made.

I still have to post photos on the shotgun forum.

I'm almost more than a little annoyed at Fisher Firearms for not holding it for me for a whole four days .... Like the other shotgun I asked for both to be kept aside for me

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

#383490 - 18/03/24 08:13 PM

Sorry John, you misunderstand, I only have the 12-bore side-lever bar-action hammergun with percussion fences and damascus barrels,
ready to accept 10-inch 16-bore rifled inserts. If I already had the inserts, or the donor barrel from which to make them,
this project would definitely have moved from the back-burner to the front!

--------------------
Marrakai

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383492 - 19/03/24 12:09 AM

I "get" that there are better guns available today for whatever the Howdah can do. Hell there are better guns available for what a Double Rifle can do; but we still choose and covet a fine DR. The the Howdah has a certain mystique that calls to a few of us (just a few). Theres no good reason for it, we dont "need" it; but a few of us "want" it.

So its a case of we want what we cant have, or at least cant have exactly what we want. We can come close. We can search for and maybe find an original; but then what, or we can opt for a modern made muzzleloader which isnt a bad representation of an original, or chose the only cartridge version available, which admittedly has less visual connection to the original then we would want.

Im not sure there are any other options. My choice is to continue the search for an original, and enjoy the Pedersoli ML and 45/410 for what they are...

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (19/03/24 12:11 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383495 - 19/03/24 03:24 AM

Quote:

I "get" that there are better guns available today for whatever the Howdah can do. Hell there are better guns available for what a Double Rifle can do;

Incorrect IMO.

Are you sure you're on the right forums?

Quote:

Im not sure there are any other options. My choice is to continue the search for an original, and enjoy the Pedersoli ML and 45/410 for what they are...

Yes. But there are also other optionz, all discussed probably several times.

Enjoy your existing Pedersolis. Start a new thread, show photos and maybe some videos of shooting them.

How well do they regulate? How accurate? At whatever range suitable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383511 - 19/03/24 10:18 AM

What other OPTIONS are there, because Ive read every post on every thread and every forum I could find

1. find an ORIGINAL
2. buy a Pedersoli cap or flint B/P gun
3. Have a CUSTOM gun made from scratch or from a DR shotgun
4. accept the Pedesoli 45/410 as they are
5. Modify the Pedosoli 45/410 stock and or caliber

What am I missing?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383525 - 19/03/24 11:50 PM

No. 3 now mentioned. Make one from a DB shotgun.

1. Buy an original. Muzzle loader, cheaper Breech loader, more. A smooth bore can be cheap. I seriously looked at a smooth bore howdah pistol in Italy. $1000. But too much to get here.
2. But an original rifled Howdah pistol.
3. Modify a side by side shotgun into a smooth bore or rifled Howdah pistol.
4. Buy and modify a Pedersoli as required.

If Marrakai succeeds, we will see it, and be jealous.

As for what and why DRs are excellent and the best, in particular circumstances, as mentioned numerous times on these forums. DG, big bores, close up, quick follow up shots. Why every PH has one or wants one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (19/03/24 11:58 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383526 - 20/03/24 12:04 AM

Quote:

Sorry John, you misunderstand, I only have the 12-bore side-lever bar-action hammergun with percussion fences and damascus barrels,
ready to accept 10-inch 16-bore rifled inserts. If I already had the inserts, or the donor barrel from which to make them,
this project would definitely have moved from the back-burner to the front!

Thanks. A problem with a 12-bore as the base is the size of it. But if it works. And 16-bore in a 12, why not.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383532 - 20/03/24 05:08 AM

16 bore rifled inserts sounds fine to me, too.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383539 - 20/03/24 12:23 PM

OK Im good with building. I talked to a Gunsmith today about restocking, He agreed in concept but wont commit till he sees the action. So now Im looking for donors.

I was toying with the idea of a 12ga, sleeved for 45-70? Its not my first choice but it is the most easily found parts. Im NOT fixated on 12ga or 45-70.

Ultimately I want either an under lever or a side lever.

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383540 - 20/03/24 12:31 PM

So, now that we are at this point, does it have to a back action? Or will a conventional (Im not sure what its call) hammer action work? I understand the points that youve made concerning trigger pull length and real pistol grip. Ive seen the stock work that this smith is capable of building, hes done amazing stuff.

What barrel length?

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

#383542 - 20/03/24 01:04 PM

Bar-action hammergun here. Easy to make a pistol-grip stock curving downwards behind the trigger-guard.

Back-action hammergun here. Virtually impossible to make a properly proportioned pistol grip behind those locks, and still reach the triggers with your finger!

So while a vintage original probably has to be back-actioned (with curved lock-plates) to look the part, a modern conversion of a hammer shotgun pretty-much cannot be back-actioned.

And I agree with other posters here that the saw-grip needed to prevent a top-lever from busting the web of your hand is ugly as a hat-full of Rsoles!

--------------------
Marrakai

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383544 - 20/03/24 07:15 PM

Quote:

Bar-action hammergun here. Easy to make a pistol-grip stock curving downwards behind the trigger-guard.

Back-action hammergun here. Virtually impossible to make a properly proportioned pistol grip behind those locks, and still reach the triggers with your finger!

So while a vintage original probably has to be back-actioned (with curved lock-plates) to look the part, a modern conversion of a hammer shotgun pretty-much cannot be back-actioned.

Thanks for that. A dream of mine has always been to create a Nitro-Wiki with members creating posts, comments, illustrations and images, explaining terms and concepts, brands, techniques. Thought about it 18years ago, one can't proceed too quickly ...

The top lever on a Howdah pistol. Yes maybe that's acreadin for the "saw grip"? I've never shot a sawn off shotgun with a pistol grip. So don't know how much a top lever might be a problem?

I agree aside or bottom lever is so much more desirable.

BTW does anyone know anyone with a Pedersoli Howdah in Australia? Especially the breech loading versions. It would be great to handle one first, say at the International BG, BB Shoot in Darwin later in the year.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383549 - 21/03/24 02:28 AM

Hadn't thought on this before, but properly bent back-action lock plates would have to be made, along with 'some' innards, I expect.

--------------------
Daryl

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #383583 - 23/03/24 08:25 AM

"I've never shot a sawn off shotgun with a pistol grip. So don't know how much a top lever might be a problem?"

I have shot them with top and side levers in 12 guage and the levers do have a fairly nasty bite.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: degoins]
      #383610 - 25/03/24 01:25 AM

Quote:

"I've never shot a sawn off shotgun with a pistol grip. So don't know how much a top lever might be a problem?"

I have shot them with top and side levers in 12 guage and the levers do have a fairly nasty bite.

As it turns out I have shot a fair amount of sawed off SXS's and never had a bite from a top lever. I guess it depends on the grip. I have more issues with the trigger guard till I added a spacer.

I did once have a issue with the safety on a Mossberg pump gun with a short grip

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383611 - 25/03/24 01:33 AM

What about 45-70 as a howdah cartridge? Id love something more traditional; but 45-70 has the virtue of being available. It also seems to have the necessary power for anything Id likely (or fantasy) ever be using it.

I may have found an donor action. It has back action locks and a side lever.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383612 - 25/03/24 03:25 AM

That would certainly be more powerful than a .45 Colt, would likely match or even outclass the .454Casul, as well as producing much less pressure.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383614 - 25/03/24 03:54 AM

I liked the idea of using the original 405gr "Cowboy" load. Perhaps even a BP or BP substitute load.

Im suggesting 45-70 because I know I can get 45-70 barrel inserts Also because the action is an antique and has dimacuss twist barrels.

Ultimately Id love 577 Snyder; but Im not sure how to go about that route with ammo or barrels.

--------------------

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #383615 - 25/03/24 04:03 AM

These may be of interest

4 cartridge pistols
The only real Howdah is 3rd down, a .577 Snider by Wilkinson
The bottom is a .500

The bottom one here is what you get by "bodging" a shotgun
it is a 16 bore pinfire, I knew what it was and it was very cheap!!
I have seen one for sale in the UK somee years ago that the deealer swore was real!

the other is a Belgian rifled 16 bore pinfire, long heavy barrel, AFAIK not modified
Also cheap so I had to have it

My opinions on real Howdah pistols is known to some of you but whatever they are they are definitely interesting an historical part of the gunmaker's art

Please post pics of anything you make up or modify and good luck trying

TH

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: TH44]
      #383616 - 25/03/24 04:09 AM

Thanks for the pics. Yes they give an interesting perspective

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383617 - 25/03/24 05:15 AM

Lets talk barrel length. Ive seen short and long barrels on Howadhs. Six inches seems too short and 12" looks too long to balance. Im thinking maybe 8 inches???

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383626 - 25/03/24 07:24 AM

Quote:

What about 45-70 as a howdah cartridge? Id love something more traditional; but 45-70 has the virtue of being available. It also seems to have the necessary power for anything Id likely (or fantasy) ever be using it.

I may have found an donor action. It has back action locks and a side lever.

I thought about whether a Aikal side by side DR in 45/70 could be (early) cut into a hissy pistol. I have one, a full rifle of course. If the barrels were cut in front of the forend, curved pistol grip stock made it might work. The barrels would need to be separated and regulated. But I think it would be quite heavy. The barrels and action are quite hefty.

The .577 Snider shot a 480 gr bullet with 70 grains of BP. The .45/70 original load wa 70 grs BP and a 400 or 350 gr bullet.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383632 - 25/03/24 07:59 AM

I havent handled an ORIGINAL Howdah, so I cant judge weight. I have a couple of the Pedersoli 20ga guns. They are hefty but Im not sure Id call them too heavy. By example the Diablo IS too heavy, (not to mention the grip shape is atrocious).

I "think" its also balance issue. Balance the weight of the total gun with the weight and length of the barrels AND the shape and angle/grip shape. For what its worth The Pedersoli BP guns could benefit from a better grip too. I couldnt change the grip on the Pedersoli BP so I shortened the barrels to give it better balance.

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (25/03/24 08:09 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383633 - 25/03/24 08:07 AM

Im not convinced 45-70 is the BEST cartridge--its NOT; but I DO think its probably the best option. Id much prefer something 50cal or larger (ideally 577). I even toyed with 577/450 Martini; but keep coming back to 45-70 as an actual available and "shootable" cartridge.

--------------------

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
      #383638 - 25/03/24 12:26 PM

Have you considered the 50-70? Sourcing brass can be an issue (but how much would you need?). 348 Winchester brass can be blown out and made to work, rim diameter is a little smaller.

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #383639 - 25/03/24 02:41 PM

How about either 50 Alaskan or 500 Linebaugh, loaded WAY down of course!!!! Starline makes occasional runs of both.

Quickload shows the big Alaska case getting 850fps with a 450 grain bullet in 7" barrels at 18k psi with Trailboss. My original Wilkinson only gets 710fps with 70 grains of 2F and a 450gn bullet. The software shows the snider case has about 85 grains of water "volume" under the bullet and needs a filler wad whereas the Alaskan shows about 75, so I'd imagine it would give about the same velocity with BP.

With the smaller 500L case a bunch of fast powders like unique show 800-900fps at <=18k psi, but black powder would just seem more fitting.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #383640 - 25/03/24 08:12 PM

Re. many original howdahs being chambered for the .577 Snider. This appears to be the case. But there also appears to be Howdah pistols with shortened variants of the 577 Snider. I'm thinking the full Snider might have been a little too much, and lesser recoiling variants were created and purchased.

I've never shot a .577 Snider in rifle or handgun, so don't know.

Is anyone here who shot Cal Pappas' .57< Howdah? Was it the full sized Snider case?

In our modern handloading times, of course we can load down a case to make it more manageable. In previous times, often a BP firearms would have BP hand loading tools for the brass cases in its gun case as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383641 - 25/03/24 08:16 PM

Regarding what to chamber a custom built Howdah pistol?

I still think a .577 Snider is the way to go.

If original brass is hard to get, I shared a video of someone reloading shotgun shells cut shorter for a .577 Snider rifle. Lead round balls from memory. If this is possible, no problems getting reloading supplies for a Howdah pistol.

Assuming suitable barrels can be sourced, chambers cut etc.

Why not? Stick with the original.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383644 - 25/03/24 11:41 PM

In a fantasy world of unlimited funds, I'd also consider the .577 Snider. Or custom versions of the .577 NE or .500 NE. Shortened brass cases into a Howdah pistol length case.

The .500 NE .510" and .577 NE .585', Shortening brass, not a problem. Or maybe the .577 BP just loaded down.

Existing pistol or lighter weight projectiles? What true calibre are the .500 handgun cartridges? I think Woodleigh makes a lighter .577 bullet? Or did. Will look it up. Or a lead round ball load.

500 BP .510" 440gr RN SN

50 Alaskan & 50/110 Win .510" 500gr FN SN

06A 500 Nitro .510" 450gr RN SN

577 BP Express .585" 650gr RN SN
3A 577 Nitro .585" 650gr RN SN
4A .584" 650gr FMJ

Existing Double Rifle designs could be modified by the makers into a Howdah pistol. One problem, is .500 and even more so .577 rifles tend to be heavier bigger. Not ideal as a Howdah pistol. Hammers, though are desired.

With unlimited funds, anything might be possible.

I'd get it made to take a detachable butt stock. And even worse Allow it to take unobtrusive mounts for a red dot sight. Make it versatile and useful.

But if a ,577 Snider case can use a shotgun shell or brass case, it's already there and works.

Maybe I need to start a go fund me, ha ha ha. Everyone does these days. For this intriguing project. Only joking.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (26/03/24 12:01 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383645 - 25/03/24 11:43 PM

Quote:

These may be of interest

4 cartridge pistols
The only real Howdah is 3rd down, a .577 Snider by Wilkinson
The bottom is a .500

The bottom one here is what you get by "bodging" a shotgun
it is a 16 bore pinfire, I knew what it was and it was very cheap!!
I have seen one for sale in the UK somee years ago that the deealer swore was real!

the other is a Belgian rifled 16 bore pinfire, long heavy barrel, AFAIK not modified
Also cheap so I had to have it

My opinions on real Howdah pistols is known to some of you but whatever they are they are definitely interesting an historical part of the gunmaker's art

Nice collection.

How did you keep your handguns in the UK? Antiques?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383647 - 26/03/24 12:48 AM

Quote:

Regarding what to chamber a custom built Howdah pistol?

I still think a .577 Snider is the way to go.

If original brass is hard to get, I shared a video of someone reloading shotgun shells cut shorter for a .577 Snider rifle. Lead round balls from memory. If this is possible, no problems getting reloading supplies for a Howdah pistol.

Assuming suitable barrels can be sourced, chambers cut etc.

Why not? Stick with the original.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=24zy58N3Pu8

Making Cheap And Easy 577 Snider Ammunition
53K views · 3 months ago
Everything Black Powder

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=382163&an=0&page=0#Post382163

.24-bore shotshell. .60 calibre conicals and balls.m

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383649 - 26/03/24 01:21 AM

Im only leaning towards 45-70 because I have a set of 12ga inserts in 45-70. They can make them permanent or can be removed. I would want them fixed.

I guess barrel inserts could be made in other calibers but Ive never seen them. I tried to get a 577-450 Martini barrel made for a Encore without any luck

Im not fixated on anything yet

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383650 - 26/03/24 01:29 AM

Quote:

Im only leaning towards 45-70 because I have a set of 12ga inserts in 45-70. They can make them permanent or can be removed. I would want them fixed.

Why not? Go for it. If a suitable donor 12-bore is available. Sounds a possible solution to me.

Can the insert barrels be adjusted for point of impact? i.e. for a form of regulation?

I think plus or minus seven inches is what I'd go for. Would a 1:18 twist rate work?

https://chaszel.com/product/45-70-shotgun-adapters/

Using inserts to make an insert double rifle. No reason a Howdah length 12-bore couldn't work. Shooter loaded trapdoor level .45/70 loads.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread...-rifle.3749835/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (26/03/24 01:48 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383651 - 26/03/24 01:32 AM

I have toyed with just doing a "Howdah" rifle. I think there was a discussion about an original 16" Double Rifle on Africa Hunting. When I talked to the gunsmith about making a pistol stock, the idea of a removable shoulder stock never came up.

I have toyed in the past, with the idea of a detachable stock for a muzzleloader using a super strong magnet. The project is on hold with so many other "that would be cool" projects. Ive got repros of the Luger and Broomhandle stocks for the same project; but they require more machine work than any gunsmith has been willing to take on.

The Pedersoli muzzleloader has an available stock. Its not "baaaaad" and it does make a good tight fit but I think Id prefer something different.

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383652 - 26/03/24 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why not? If a suitable donor 12-bore is available. Sounds a possible solution to me.

Can the insert barrels be adjusted for point of impact? i.e. for a form of regulation?

I think plus or minus seven inches is what I'd go for.

Yes Im sure they can be at least somewhat regulated if made permanent. Years ago there ware inserts made for the Bakail Coach guns that used shims at the muzzle. My thoughts would be to fit the shim until reasonably regulated then have them fixed in place.

On the off chance they cant be regulated or the gunsmith isnt willing, then Im not terribly upset; afterall this is 90% a fantasy toy. If it "hits" a Tiger size target at say arms length I would say that is Howdah "MOT" (minute of a Tiger)????

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383653 - 26/03/24 01:49 AM

Maybe the solution is to use 45-70 but re-name it. Hmmmm we could call it 450 Howdah?

Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co will make brass and put a custom name on it. They arent cheap ($10-20 a round) but it is do-able

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (26/03/24 02:03 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383654 - 26/03/24 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think plus or minus seven inches is what I'd go for.

Yes Im sure they can be at least somewhat regulated if made permanent. Years ago there ware inserts made for the Bakail Coach guns that used shims at the muzzle. My thoughts would be to fit the shim until reasonably regulated then have them fixed in place.

On the off chance they cant be regulated or the gunsmith isnt willing, then Im not terribly upset; afterall this is 90% a fantasy toy. If it "hits" a Tiger size target at say arms length I would say that is Howdah "MOT" (minute of a Tiger)????

I'd hope for reasonable accuracy, say a 12 inch circular steel target at say 10 yards. With both barrels. Hopefully better but ...

Now to source a suitable hammer donor shotgun. Barrel inserts of some description and suitable calibre/bore.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (26/03/24 01:55 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383655 - 26/03/24 03:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd hope for reasonable accuracy, say a 12 inch circular steel target at say 10 yards. With both barrels. Hopefully better but ...

Now to source a suitable hammer donor shotgun. Barrel inserts of some description and suitable calibre/bore.

I would think thats possible, either with shims or by grinding at the muzzle....

As I recall Sabatti regulates their DRs by "grinding" the rifiling at the muzzle. I had a 9.3x74R Sabatti that shot fine. I never noticed anything unusual

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383656 - 26/03/24 03:43 AM

Quote:

Maybe the solution is to use 45-70 but re-name it. Hmmmm we could call it 450 Howdah?

Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co will make brass and put a custom name on it. They arent cheap ($10-20 a round) but it is do-able

Adding to the list:
450 EXPRESS
45 Manchester
458 No2
450 2inch
450 2 1/2
450 I & A (India & Afrika)

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (26/03/24 03:46 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#383657 - 26/03/24 04:15 AM

Quote:

Have you considered the 50-70? Sourcing brass can be an issue (but how much would you need?). 348 Winchester brass can be blown out and made to work, rim diameter is a little smaller.

Good suggestion, as-is the .50 Alaskan. I had a rolling block chambered for .50 Alaskan (McGowan bl.) and it used 84gr. 2F and a 550gr. bullet. Buffalo arms has both .50 Alaskan and .50/70 brass afaik.
Brother Taylor has a Shiloh Sharps chambered for the .50 Alaskan(McGowan bl.) and with his 600 paper patched bullets, he gets 91gr. Swiss 1 1/2F into the cases due to the bore sized (after patching) bullets.
My .50/70 (1859 bl.lined & chambered by Sharps in 1867) for the 1868 Sharps shot best with 10gr. of 3031 and 60gr. 1F GOEX with the 450gr. bullet.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383658 - 26/03/24 06:14 AM

The issue with anything besides 45-70 is getting barrel inserts; unless you know of a source. I am going to see if its possible to rechamber 45-70 to 577-450.

--------------------

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #383666 - 26/03/24 10:34 AM

Nitrox - The UK is not good for handguns (or any guns really) but there is a concession

Certain cartridges are considered "obsolete" and guns chambered for them are not classed as firearms
(unless you have live ammunition with them in which case go straight to jail)

This includes all pinfire, bores larger than 10, and most rimfire (except .22 and a couple of others)

Many of the older big game cartridges also but not nitro military calibres

They made a mistake with some of the pistol cartridges, with the criminal gang element buying handloaded .44 Russian, .32 and some metrics, so we had to put those on a collector's certificate or dispose of them

I have .577 Snider, .577/450 MH and a .500 on certificate but woe betide me if I get caught shooting the handguns with that ammunition

TH

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383764 - 30/03/24 05:08 AM

Regarding my post on the Sabatti "method" of grinding muzzles to somehow affect regulation when they couldn't be bothered doing it properly, I've moved it to a NEW THREAD.

DISCUSS IT THERE. NOT HERE.

"The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing"
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=383725&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383779 - 30/03/24 05:33 PM

Here's a SxS 12 bore, shipped right to your door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywR5M0MJVCA&ab_channel=TAOFLEDERMAUS

Please, do NOT use Pyrodex. Pyrodex is 17% by volume, perchlorates. Perchlorate fouling, when mixed with moisture (even just from the air) becomes acidic & has an affinity for iron molecules, according to the tests done by Bill Knight for Dan Pawlack, inventor of that 'replica' powder.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383790 - 31/03/24 06:26 AM

Quote:

Here's a SxS 12 bore, shipped right to your door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywR5M0MJVCA&ab_channel=TAOFLEDERMAUS

Yeah we've talked about the Diablo before. I "get" the draw, when they were $300, now that they are $700 plus Im not so sure. That being said I have a 6" and a 8", because I got them cheap. Essentially they are a double barrel inline 12gs pistol that uses a 209 primer. Its NOT what Id call a Howdah. The grip is even more awful (from a Howdah standpoint), than the Auto-Burglar style grip on the Pedersoli 45/410 guns. They also only have one hammer with a lever to switch between barrels, so a second shot means cocking the gun again AND flipping the lever to the other side. Its not exactly something Id want to do with a pissed off tiger or bad guy charging.

Again its NOT even close to being a Howdah, even in some modern iteration....but they are fun as something--Im just not sure what.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383801 - 31/03/24 06:07 PM

If having to flip the lever to fire the second barrel, how did Jeff fire both barrels at the same time more than once?
I agree that inlines using shotgun primers are not the same as the older muzzleloading howdah pistols using caps.
The grip appears more normal than Pederoli's is, on the .45 Colt versions. They don't even have hammers at all. What's with that??

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383806 - 01/04/24 01:42 AM

You can put the "switch" in the center to fire both barrels at the same time. There really isnt a center position; but the lever will sorta stay there and when the hammer falls it hits the side of both firing pins. Im not sure what the purpose of firing both at the same time is, anyway, besides some YeeeeHa factor

The first version of the grip was SHORT, as in pinky dangling short. The current is long enough for a full grip BUT theyt insisted on finger groves. Ive yet to see any period Howdah with finger groves.

Perhaps the Diablo might have some Howdah influence; but its pretty clear to me that its more gansta sawed-off inspired. Again I like it (I have two after all), and Id like to tell myself its a Howdah; but thats like saying my kids peddle bike is ready for the Tour de France.

Maybe if they made it with TWO hammers and better grip, (certainly without finger groves). Early in AGC's (the company that builds them), they made a more traditional two hammer, two trigger Caplock BUT they Fd it up with that stupid finger grove grip... That model has since been dropped from the line up. At one point they made a 20 gauge model; but that has also been dropped. Its a shame because I would have preferred a 2o gauge.

AGC's newest market push is to add a grip that allows attachment or an AR stock and a handguard with a picatinny rail. So imagine a Modern Howdah with a folding/sliding stock and a forward handgrip. I like their desire to push the market, they even make crossdraw kydex holsters (after dropping the leather model) and a drop leg model

NOW if they only made a O/U model, Id have to add a third and tell myself I was a modern day "Remington" in a BAD modern day remake of the Ghost Boars of Texas ....

As for the Pedersoli 45/410 guns, they make a Hammer version as well as the hammeless version(s) and even a single trigger version.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383810 - 01/04/24 03:34 AM

I can't get "past" the stupid stocks on the Pedersoli ctg. pistols.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383811 - 01/04/24 04:02 AM

Quote:

I can't get "past" the stupid stocks on the Pedersoli ctg. pistols.

You know I keep hearing that. I just googled Howdah pistol images and I see more than one REAL howdahs with a saw handle grip...not many but a few. Then theres the Pedersoli Alaskan which doesnt have a saw handle grip. Looking at Google images again, there are a few REAL Howdahs with similar grips.

My biggest issue with the Pedesoilis is the cartridge. 45Colt seems waaaay to small. I have all brass 410 slugs that dont look completely right either and then theres the power factor.

Im toying with 45-70 as a period cartridge and an easily available build option. I considered 20/577 but thats even harder to find build parts (barrels, reamers, dies). IF I can find someone to make 500S&W inserts, then Id down load rounds to an antique shotgun pressure level. At least then Id have a 50 caliber cartridge. Ultimately 45-70 seems the best and easiest build option

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383813 - 01/04/24 06:54 AM

.500 S&W would be a handloading proposition only due to it's high pressure.
Now, a .50 Alaskan would work, as-would a .50/70.
Dies, brass, bullets & reamers all available & more powerful than the .50 S&W at allowable pressure.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383814 - 01/04/24 08:25 AM

Ill look into the 50s. It will all depend what the gunsmith is will to take on. He has done some crazy projects for me like a Tactical lever gun and cutting down the barrel of a flintlock rifle to about 12 inches, because I saw a 17th century original meant for hunting from horseback. He didnt mind the flintlock project too much; but boy has he reminded me how much work the lever gun was, even though hes had four other customers have him do one for them ever since they saw mine...

I cant imagine there will be much future Howdah requests after mine.

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #383819 - 01/04/24 11:35 AM

Quote:

Ill look into the 50s. It will all depend what the gunsmith is will to take on. He has done some crazy projects for me like a Tactical lever gun and cutting down the barrel of a flintlock rifle to about 12 inches, because I saw a 17th century original meant for hunting from horseback. He didnt mind the flintlock project too much; but boy has he reminded me how much work the lever gun was, even though hes had four other customers have him do one for them ever since they saw mine...

I cant imagine there will be much future Howdah requests after mine.

Soooooo…….once again, all talk - no pictures.
Pictures or it didn't happen.
No excuses, there are plenty of members that can post the pictures for you.

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383838 - 02/04/24 12:39 AM

Quote:

Soooooo…….once again, all talk - no pictures.
Pictures or it didn't happen.
No excuses, there are plenty of members that can post the pictures for you.

I told you I SOLD it. I can tell you it was Serial Number 6. More importantly, what does that have to do with the Howdah discussion?

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383889 - 04/04/24 04:40 AM

I talked to the guy who does the inserts. Hes not sure if 50 caliber is possible for an insert but said he would do some measurements and get back to me. Until then Im trying to satisfy myself with 45-70.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8281

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com