Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A modern custom Howdah pistol

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: NitroX]
      #379761 - 30/09/23 10:21 PM

Hammers, under lever ( because it looks better to me and it wouldn't jam into the web of your hand or knuckle like a top or side lever will when you fire it), low shallow v rear sight and large bead front sight. Regulated to 21 feet. 12 or 20 bore shooting some form of conical slug. A lanyard ring. It could be smooth bore or rifled.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
      #383352 - 12/03/24 02:12 AM

Sooooo, reopening an old thread because I cant get the image out of my head. By now you guys have heard of the Pedersoli 45Colt/410 Howdah's and their B/P versions. The 45/410' work legally because the "beat" the 1/2 inch sporting role limit. I do have to give Pedersoli credit for all the options they offer, (Hammers, non hammer, double and single trigger, even one in nickel and rubber covered wood). They also make B/P versions in 20ga and 50 caliber. The 45/410 guns run $1500-2000 and the B/P versions about $1000

Another "option" is the American Gun Company Diablo. Its a 12ga SxS B/P but it breaks open (like a cartridge gun) to load 209 primers. It has a single trigger and a single hammer that you must pivot left/right for barrel selection. They offer 6" 8" and 11" versions. The 6 inch gun is nice for crossdraw carry, but the 8" feels most "Howdah" to me. The AGC guns run about $700. They even make a grip that allows use of an AR type stock, if you want a very modern option.

Best

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #383353 - 12/03/24 02:20 AM

Question to ponder... Are sights really necessary? This is a pretty much muzzle on flesh kinda deal. Even if its a bit further, is it really more than a room distance gun?

My vote is for a white line or perhaps a loooong white triangle painted from breech to muzzle along the rib. The line would be visible in pretty much any hold and precise "enuf" for minute of a tiger or man

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #383354 - 12/03/24 04:03 AM

If the gun fits properly into your hand, pointing it is like pointing your finger. It is an instinctive action, until you screw it up by thinking too much.
The fit is important. Look at the older muzzleloading and ctg. Howdah guns. They are instinctive pointers & have the mass to point well using your peripheral vision.
At 12 yards, using my .54 flintlock pistol & just pointing it, I was able to get a 3" group for 5 shots, in the middle of the 10 ring on a B-27 target.
1,100fps with a 218gr. round ball.
IMHO, .54 too small a bore size for a "Howdah Pistol".

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: DarylS]
      #383356 - 12/03/24 05:36 AM

Yes I agree 54 is small for a Howdah; but thats the largest commercially available for a rifled B/P pistol. Pedesoli also makes a 20ga percussion (not sure if it smooth or rifled).

The 45/410 is even smaller but at least is a cartridge version. I suspect the design is based on a 410 shotgun action, so Id be hesitant to load it too hot OTOH 45 Colt even Cowboy loads killed a lot of villains on the movies.... I do wish they made it in something like 50 Special. Im not sure any SxS shotgun action will 500S&W. I have a 10" Encore in 500S&W its definitely too light to "want" to shoot for anything short of a charging dinosaur.

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383357 - 12/03/24 05:37 AM

Does it really "need" to be rifled?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383363 - 12/03/24 09:33 AM

I would suggest it would take a VERY modern SxS action to handle the S&W .500, however, factory ammo is actually loaded below it's maximum working pressure.

"500 S&W Magnum has a maximum working pressure of 60,000 psi (4,100 bar). However, most factory ammunition is limited to 50,000 psi (3,400 bar) to help ease extraction of fired cases. The cylinders of the S&W Model 500 revolver are engineered to be capable of withstanding 50% over pressure."

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

#383364 - 12/03/24 09:35 AM

Quote:

That depends on the range. Out to 10 yards, I'd say NO.
20 yards, definitely.
The divergence of the balls will grow exponentially with added range.
If wanting to shoot slugs - fast twist necessary.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #383370 - 12/03/24 04:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That depends on the range. Out to 10 yards, I'd say NO.
20 yards, definitely.
The divergence of the balls will grow exponentially with added range.
If wanting to shoot slugs - fast twist necessary.

Rifling or smooth bore?
Sights or non sighted?

Two scenarios.
1. A modern Howdah designed to use in defence against a tiger on top of an elephant. The original purpose.
1a. Same but home self defence in a house against an intruder.
2. A modern Howdah to shoot targets in a sporting sense of competition.

A smooth bore with or without sights might do for the first one. I suggest a small front sight, or shotgun bead is the minimum.

Rifled and sights, at least a small front sight is probably better, for the second. Smooth bore might work.

The only reasons in my mind for going smooth bore would cost, using existing donor shotguns, and perhaps also shooting shot.

Otherwise if shooting ball, conicals, whatever, suitable rifling would be preferred.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: degoins]
      #383371 - 12/03/24 04:41 PM

Quote:

Hammers, under lever ( because it looks better to me and it wouldn't jam into the web of your hand or knuckle like a top or side lever will when you fire it), low shallow v rear sight and large bead front sight. Regulated to 21 feet. 12 or 20 bore shooting some form of conical slug. A lanyard ring. It could be smooth bore or rifled.

Good points. Vintage Howdahs always have under or side levers.

The rest of the points are spot on as well.

Add 16-bore to the list.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383372 - 12/03/24 05:30 PM

Quote:

Sooooo, reopening an old thread because I cant get the image out of my head. By now you guys have heard of the Pedersoli 45Colt/410 Howdah's and their B/P versions. The 45/410' work legally because the "beat" the 1/2 inch sporting role limit. I do have to give Pedersoli credit for all the options they offer, (Hammers, non hammer, double and single trigger, even one in nickel and rubber covered wood). They also make B/P versions in 20ga and 50 caliber. The 45/410 guns run $1500-2000 and the B/P versions about $1000

Another "option" is the American Gun Company Diablo. Its a 12ga SxS B/P but it breaks open (like a cartridge gun) to load 209 primers. It has a single trigger and a single hammer that you must pivot left/right for barrel selection. They offer 6" 8" and 11" versions. The 6 inch gun is nice for crossdraw carry, but the 8" feels most "Howdah" to me. The AGC guns run about $700. They even make a grip that allows use of an AR type stock, if you want a very modern option.

Pity the Diablos look so aweful.

The Pedersoli cartridge side by side aren't Howdahs. Marketing waffle abot some make believe 1930s origins. The pistol grips are simply gross and ugly. If I acquired one idtry to restock it was reasonably as possible. Lacks hammers.

For the prices they could do better.

The muzzle loading pedersolis seem closer to the proper design.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
      #383386 - 13/03/24 02:12 AM

Those Pedersoli 20 ga muzzle loaders are smooth bore barrels. I passed one up several years ago for $400 in like new condition. Now a used one goes in the $800 and about $1500 for a new. I am not impressed with the "saw handle" looks of the breech loaders but I swear I saw an original on an auction somewhere that had that same profile!? I was at the Tulsa gun show a couple of years ago and a man was carrying around a SXS percussion pistol. I looked it over and checked the bore. They were pretty clean and about .70 cal. wood looked solid, back action lock wouldn't hold on half cock but that was no problem to me. Probably Belgium. He said make an offer because it selling today to someone! I handed it back to him and walked away!!!! DUMB!!!!

--------------------
Longknife

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: Longknife]
      #383387 - 13/03/24 03:02 AM

This is essentially what Pedersoli copied and called it a "Howda". Origin in 1922
Just not Pukka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Auto_%26_Burglar

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383388 - 13/03/24 03:53 AM

BLEK!

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383398 - 13/03/24 11:09 AM

The Pedersoli "Alaskan" (nickel with black rubber covered wood) at least has a decent shaped grip. They do make a hammer version; but like the others the grip is based on the Ithaca Auto Burglar. I suspect they were trying to entice both the howdah and auto burglar customers. I actually like them as a modern-esque take on the howdah; after all who else is making one.

The muzzleloader versions are, I think, truer to the original concept of the howdah. I have two. one is the early version with the swiveling ramrod. The other started as a kit and I shortened the barrels to 8 inches. Its easier to carry I had a local guy make me a crossdraw holster and its been worn several times in the shop. The full size can also be used with a stock.

I seem to recall seeing an original supershort "Howdah Rifle". I cant recall if the stock on the original was fixed of removal.

Years ago I was involved in 18th century living history. Once a year we had live fire competitions. The handgun class was separated into rifled and smoothbore. Historically guns of that period were both, You guys would know better than me; but I suspect Howdahs were both smooth and rifled. Likewise I suspect some had sights and some didnt. My shortened version does NOT have sights, as I imagine a hastily made or cost effective period gun would have been. The full productions guns all have sights.

As for self defense from a charging animal Tiger, Wild Boar, or rabid dog; I dont see the need for a sight on a muzzle against flesh shot out to self defense at room distance against a two legged animal. Beyond room distance, I would suggest the howdah is not the best choice, and relying on sights to improve that is a mistake.

The Diablo is ugly by traditional howdah standards. Im pretty sure there was never any intent to duplicate a howdah. That being said; if original howdahs were made from shortened rifles and shotguns, then the Diablo follows that tradition.

I have long considered having a custom built howdah made in the traditional pattern; but lacking a winning lottery ticket or a booked tiger hunt; that contract is on hold

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383401 - 13/03/24 06:42 PM

Quote:

The Pedersoli "Alaskan" (nickel with black rubber covered wood) at least has a decent shaped grip. They do make a hammer version; but like the others the grip is based on the Ithaca Auto Burglar. I suspect they were trying to entice both the howdah and auto burglar customers. I actually like them as a modern-esque take on the howdah; after all who else is making one.

I think they were forced to go to a different pistol grip in order for the trigger pull length to be workable. True Howdah pistol actions have bent actions allowing the action to curve into the top of the grip. A shotgun style action extends backwards straighter. One of these "burglar" grips goes straight down instead of a banana style grip.

This is especially the case for internal hammers. Guns with hammers often have less extending behind the locks (?).

I wonder if a "burglar" pedersoli could be restocked more sympathetically? One of these in .45 LC would make a nice club competition howdah gun.

Quote:

The muzzleloader versions are, I think, truer to the original concept of the howdah. I have two. one is the early version with the swiveling ramrod. The other started as a kit and I shortened the barrels to 8 inches. Its easier to carry I had a local guy make me a crossdraw holster and its been worn several times in the shop. The full size can also be used with a stock.

Post photos.

Quote:

I seem to recall seeing an original supershort "Howdah Rifle". I cant recall if the stock on the original was fixed of removal.

I posted some photos of a howdah pistol with a removable butt stock recently.

Also one of our members has a Howdah rifle, a short barrelled .375 rifle. The same rifle was featured on an NE thread several years before as well.

264/Micks and previously Marrakais. Fat Lady, a Greener shotgun conversion to .577 LNE has short barrels and could be called a "Howdah Double Rifle" very easily. 264 abd Marrakai, doing Top End Elephants Shikars!

Quote:

Years ago I was involved in 18th century living history. Once a year we had live fire competitions. The handgun class was separated into rifled and smoothbore. Historically guns of that period were both, You guys would know better than me; but I suspect Howdahs were both smooth and rifled. Likewise I suspect some had sights and some didnt. My shortened version does NOT have sights, as I imagine a hastily made or cost effective period gun would have been. The full productions guns all have sights.

The Howdah pistol absolutely began in the muzzle loading age. On the Howdah saddle a gentleman, shikar or rajah might have a long arm or two. If these single or double barrels are expended, takes too long to reload, a short double barrelled or single barrelled pistol, also muzzle loading, might be the only defence against being mauled by a wounded tiger or leopard. Most vintage Howdah pistols are muzzle loaders, but the .577 Snider or variant cartridge howdahs are something special.

Quote:

As for self defense from a charging animal Tiger, Wild Boar, or rabid dog; I dont see the need for a sight on a muzzle against flesh shot out to self defense at room distance against a two legged animal. Beyond room distance, I would suggest the howdah is not the best choice, and relying on sights to improve that is a mistake.

The Diablo is ugly by traditional howdah standards. Im pretty sure there was never any intent to duplicate a howdah. That being said; if original howdahs were made from shortened rifles and shotguns, then the Diablo follows that tradition.

I have long considered having a custom built howdah made in the traditional pattern; but lacking a winning lottery ticket or a booked tiger hunt; that contract is on hold

When I win lotto I have the same eccentric plan. A modern British made Howdah pistol. What cartridge? Would they do it? It must regulate? A shoulder stock as well to make it more versatile. Tiger hunting is rarer than Howdahs nowadays. Would the bureaucrat nazis allow it to be made or owned? Need that one in several hundred million chance lotto win to find out.

In the meantime I hope to come across a vintage example, rifled or smooth bore at a price I can afford.

A Pedersoli ML and/or .45 LC restocked maybe as well. As I wondered want to over use a vintage example on shooting silly paper.

I think they would be simply great fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383408 - 13/03/24 07:46 PM

The bottom pair are stocked simply so ugly, why on Earth did they go that way?

Looking at them, I can't see why a better grip shape couldn't be made for one of these? The action does not seem to on the surface extend back so far a proper grip could be made for it. Even if the curved grip is a bit more a sharper angle than usual.

That forend could be slimmed as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/03/24 07:47 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383409 - 13/03/24 07:54 PM

Quote:

The third pistol is a breech cartridge loading example with hammers.

No such example is listed anywhere on the Pedersoli website. Only the muzzle loaders have hammers.

Anyone know more about these cartridge howdahs with hammers? Were they shotgun (.410) or rifled (.45 LC)?

This example:

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/pedersoli-howdah/

Pedersoli Howdah Specs

Caliber: .45 Colt/.410
Barrels: 10.25 inches
Overall Length: 17 inches
Weight: 4.5 pounds (empty)
Sights: Brass bead front, folding leaf rear
Stock: Walnut
Action: Sidelock, exposed hammers
Finish: Browned barrels, color-case hardened steel furniture
Capacity: 2
MSRP: $2,035

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/03/24 07:56 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383410 - 13/03/24 08:06 PM

https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/pedersoli/firearms/howdah

https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/images/uploads/howdah_vintage.png

Quote:

Pedersoli’s Howdah 45/410 is a double triggered, breech loading, extractor pistol reproduction of the famous Auto & Burglar pistol produced by Ithaca in the 1920’s. Pedersoli’s model introduces completely different characteristics making it legal for importation and purchase in the US. The main difference is that Pedersoli’s Howdah 45/410 is chambered in 45 Colt, having 10.25 inch, 6-groove rifled barrels with a 1:48 right hand twist and equipped with lengthened chambers to support use of 3 inch .410 shotshells. The pistol is furnished with a ramp front sight and folding rear leaf sight. The rear grip fits snugly in the hand allowing easily controlled use.The Vintage Variant of the Howdah 45/410 is the pinnacle of the Howdah platform. Featuring a true sidelock action with exposed hammers, the round bodied case colored receiver features double triggers. This model has a unique barrel design that begins round and transitions to octagonal at the muzzle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383430 - 14/03/24 11:21 AM

The "Vintage" 45/410 is, "I suppose", the closest currently available option. Ive often wondered if the stock could be re-shaped into something more period Howdah correct??? Im just not sure Im ready to spend $1500-2000 USD on a project, hoping it could be "fixed".

The next question, is 45COLT an acceptable cartridge? How'bout something made from a brass 410 case?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383432 - 14/03/24 01:04 PM

Quote:

The "Vintage" 45/410 is, "I suppose", the closest currently available option. Ive often wondered if the stock could be re-shaped into something more period Howdah correct??? Im just not sure Im ready to spend $1500-2000 USD on a project, hoping it could be "fixed".

The next question, is 45COLT an acceptable cartridge? How'bout something made from a brass 410 case?

To buy a vintage .577 Snider or variant Howdah pistol, $5000 to $30000, $2000 is not bad.

The .45 Long Colt cartridge is inadequate. Might as well use a revolver. But if shooting targets as part of a fun howdah competition, it is better than nothing.

Maybe .410 brass cases loaded with a .45 projectile might be possible and more gutsy? Safe? No idea.

Fixed is only restocking to remove that ugly pistol grip stock. T the same time allow a shoulder stock to be used as well.

This "vintage" model does have external hammers though. IMO pretty much a requirement on a real Howdah pistol.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (16/03/24 02:07 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#383443 - 15/03/24 03:36 AM

A plastic WW .410 hull, loaded with a bullet and full of black powder, will be considerably more powerful than same pressure loaded .45 Colt ctg.
I assume the case allowed is only the 2 1/2" case, not the 3", but that still should allow a really good BP charge. These one piece hulls are VERY easily cleaned afterwards, but then, so is brass.
The .410 Hull, loaded with bullet and BP, along with a roll crimp is the way to go. More aesthetic too.
Just checked a 2 1/2" WW AA .410 hull and it will hold 45gr. 3F GOEX and a 200gr. .45 bullet. That's 10gr.to 15gr. more than a modern .45 Colt case will hold.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383455 - 16/03/24 12:48 PM

They use 2 1/2 AND 3 inch 410 shells.

I had 45 Colt cases made that were 3" long; but they wont fit. Brass 3" 410 cases DO work. Theres enough of a taper that the long 45 Colt cases wont fit

I loaded 3" Brass 410 shells with a heavy load of B/P and a round ball then crimped the top with a crimping tool a member made.

Even With a heavy load of B/P the recoil was at best moderate. Ultimately Id like to find a conical that could be pressed into the 410 shell.

I havent tried any handloaded smokeless rounds yet....

I bought the Alaskan model because I liked the grip better than the Auto/Burglar and the Vintage model wasnt available. Today Id pick the Vintage for sure; but Im not convinced its worth the $1500+ for a second model, even if it does have hammers

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#383460 - 17/03/24 04:26 AM

What diameter bullet can be used in the 3" brass case?
If bore size, then it might slug up to fill the grooves.
I would think the 3" case might hold 55gr. of powder. Still not a very big load, about like what used to fit in a Colt Walker, the preferred revolver for "running buffalo" shooting them from horseback.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383463 - 17/03/24 05:20 PM

What weight bullet is used? Assuming .45.

The .410 slug load of a 100 or 110 gr slug is simply pathetic. So is a 125 gr slug load.

The .45 Long Colt of a 225 or 230 gr bullet is better, but still for a Howdah, rather pathetic.

One of these however as I have said could be merely a useful fun pistol for a fun Howdah target competition.

So I wonder what or if a .45 bullet could be used in a .410 brass shotshell? What weight bullet? What velocity?

As Huvius said in an early post, a Howdah cartridge is not about velocity for long range pistol shooting. It's about bullet weight and thumping power up close. For target shooting some range might be useful.

.45 Long Colt, inclucing +P
Bullet weights 200 to 360 grs
Velocity 700 to 1500 fps
http://www.ballistics101.com/45_colt.php

.410 Brennecke
Bullet weight 110 grs
Velocity, barrel length ?, 1750 fps

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/410-slugs-whats-the-use/amp

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (17/03/24 06:57 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8280

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com