Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fitz on a SAA

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Fitz on a SAA
      #353816 - 28/05/21 10:20 AM

Back in the day the cool guys had the barrel shortened, hammer bobbed AND trigger guard cut away on large frame DA/SA revolvers. They were called Fitz Specials. I had never seen anything like that done on SAAs until pretty recently. Since then Ive been dreaming about a Fitz'd SAA.

Shortening the barrel to somewhere between 2 and 3 inches is drastic enough but cutting away most of the trigger guard sounds cool until its MY gun Im talking about... Ive been spending more than a few hours "googling" Cowboy Belly Guns and came up with a few originals and more than a few recreations. Some of the originals did have the trigger guard cut off so at least its not something out of one of my nightmares.

Today I found a reference to a gun someone built for fast draw / speed shooting. Instead of cutting off the front of the trigger guard, the owner made it thinner on his shooting hand side. If any of you guys remember the ASP pistol, they did the same thing on a modern semi auto. (If you dont know what an ASP Pistol is, do yourself a favor and google it).

To keep things simple I probably wont cut the hammer (at least not to start) but Im thinking about smoothing the checkering on the top.

Of the originals I found some started as longer guns with an ejector rod and some as "Sheriff" models. Some of the ejector models just had the ejector removed and the frame un-modified, while others appear to have the frame cut to remove the "loop" for the ejector.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 456

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com