Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lightest 98 Mauser action?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
db404
.224 member

Reged: 30/06/14
Loc: Texas
Re: Lightest 98 Mauser action? [Re: tinker]
      #353811 - 28/05/21 02:59 AM

This is a really old thread, but I wanted to correct a piece of info offered regarding the small ring Model 1910 Mexican Mauser (a model 98 SR pattern) saying that a 30-06 would not fit in it. The Mexican 1910 went three different iterations: the 1910, the 1936 and the 1954. The 1910 is the most common, usually found as an infantry rifle with 29" barrel. Mexico had leftist leanings in the 1930's and supported the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War. Part of that support was in the form of a large shipment of newly manufactured 1910 Mausers they sent to Spain. After the civil war was over, Franco gathered these up and had them sent to the arsenal for cleaning, inspection and repair, where feasible. Sam Cummings of Interarms later bought the lot from Franco in the early 1960s, importing them into the US for sale.

Meanwhile, back in the mid 1930s, Mexico modified the 1910 to more closely conform to the then prevalent idea of one size rifle fits all the roles, from cavalry to infantry, and came out with the 1936 model, which featured a barrel length of about 24", a turned down bolt handle, a pistol grip stock and a knurled cocking knob on the bolt, all of which combined to give the 1936 a similar appearance to our '03 Springfield in a Type C stock. After WW2, Uncle Sugar was handing '06 ammo and arms to everyone. Mexico got theirs, too. In 1954 they further modified the 1910 by opening up the action in the rear (I think; I haven't held one - but which would have been just like many companies did with LR 98 Mausers to squeeze in things like the .404 Jeffery). My point is that the Mexican Military found the 1910 (aka 1936 and 1954) strong enough for the '06 and long enough too, after machine work.

1954 Mexican Mausers are practically non-existent. The 1936s I have found had all been converted to sporters.

IMO, the best choice for a lightweight ex-military Mauser 98 is the Czech VZ 33 or the German supervised version, the G33/40. Some post war CZ models are small ring 98s, as are various Husqvarnas. As others have pointed out, a thin barrel profile will save more weight than the tiny bit of material removed to make a SR 98.

All the best - Dave

Edited by db404 (28/05/21 03:06 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 34009

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com